Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:18 PM

Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django (3996 Views)

.NET Vs Python For Cryptography And Cybersecurity / Python Django Android... / Python-django Can Now Be Ran On Your Android Through Qpython... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 24, 2013
NOTE: This is not another programming language war. I need advice and opinions from 'ogas @ d top' in d house: I'm a fair php user and I'm picking up python recently. I want to develop a beautiful real time web app which requires high scalability and high API & DB transactions, i learnt both framework have lotsa similarities, i'm stucked in the decision to choose one of the two, can anybody help?
Re: Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django by alexis(m): 4:14pm On Jul 24, 2013
g9kate: NOTE: This is not another programming language war. I need advice and opinions from 'ogas @ d top' in d house: I'm a fair php user and I'm picking up python recently. I want to develop a beautiful real time web app which requires high scalability and high API & DB transactions, i learnt both framework have lotsa similarities, i'm stucked in the decision to choose one of the two, can anybody help?

Which language are you more productive in? I find Python syntax simpler and easier. PHP is very popular and has tons of documentation and very similar to C. So, it's your call basically. Another point is with hosting - php is on almost all shared/reseller hosting. Django and Python will need their own VPS or machine to work on. Both frameworks are solid and used extensively. At the end of the day, it's the one you are comfortable with and can produce results with smiley

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 25, 2013
Pick the one you are most productive with, for me i use Zend Framework 2 but find it easier to finish projects with Yii. its about prompt delivery. ciao
Re: Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django by romme2u: 8:11pm On Jul 25, 2013
for me i think you should use the one you are well versed in and that will provide the features needed in your project.

Every programming language and frameworks always boast of their features and areas they are best used for .

I always like to stick to that as it always enhance my productivity smiley.

So choose the one that is well suited for the type of project you intend to embark on(remember u should thoroughly understand the features of the framework and how to manipulate them to give you what you need without reading too much documentation and googling) embarassed
Re: Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django by tundebabzy: 5:34am On Jul 26, 2013
Consider things like the frameworks maturity, the framework's ecosystem, available documentation and language features in relation to the project's features. You will be very productive in any framework that scores high on all of these.

That said, since it seems like you may not have ever used django, I'll tell you about it.

Django is a very mature framework with not only a very large community but also a helpful non hostile community. Its documentation is excellent and is built to help you to code with the DRY principle. Its very powerful because its pure python and that gives you a hint of how expansive its ecosystem is. In Nigeria, because everything is PHP, you won't be able to get a local shared web host though.
Re: Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django by Creatrixity(m): 12:37pm On Jul 28, 2013
Op,four months ago,i was faced with your dilemma.
I had just learnt WAMP and I had already started building a web app with it,but I realized regular php had its problems.
*It had security nightmares *
*Poor url style*
*Very redundant*
I tried my hand on most of the popular php frameworks
*Codeigniter*
*Cakephp*
*Symfony*
*ZEND*
However,i later realized that php frameworks was just not my thing,the concepts and style just did not fit my ideals and it either limited my control of various elements e.g Cakephp's acos and aros auth system.
I then reverted to my good old python to use for web dev.
I studied the popular frameworks
*cherrypy*
*pylons*
*turbogears*
*web2py*
*flask*
*django*
And i narrowed my selection to cherrypy,web2py,and django.
I choose django and i have just built a web app similar in complexity to Nairaland.
I endorse django,go for it..
Would love to see your response!
Re: Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django by GideonG(m): 9:02pm On Jul 28, 2013
Go with python, it will help you in the future.
Re: Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django by Nobody: 10:56pm On Aug 11, 2013
alright, i think i'll go with python, i went briefly thru django templating, it seems boring(% stuffs) unlike php. can one still get to do beautiful html5,css3,jquery stuffs with it? answers pls
Re: Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django by Creatrixity(m): 5:56am On Aug 12, 2013
Yeah..you will put all your js,css and imgs in a folder called "static" in an orderly and professional manner.
Django allows ajax requests using the is_ajax boolean function.
I use html5 on django and its templates system are more decoupled and modular than php.
It is very flexible .
Re: Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django by Nobody: 12:12pm On Aug 12, 2013
does anyone has an idea of where i can pay for a cloud hosting that supports python with my GTB naira mastercard?
Re: Advice Needed!!! Php Yii Vs Python Django by Creatrixity(m): 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2013
Same dilemma here bro..
You could use webfaction(the naira is the problem.if you could convert it into dollar) or you could deploy through heroku using amazon aws3 to serve static..

(1) (Reply)

Download Psiphon For Ios (iphone/ipad) For Free / What Programming Languages Have You Used? / Programming Languages Inventors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.