Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada (954 Views)

Benin Girl In Canada Answers An Annoying Phone Call Her Response Is Priceless / Microsoft Kills Nokia X Android Phones, Lays Off 18,000 People / Recommend Good Android Games That Are Less Than 250 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by bigt2(m): 6:17am On Jul 26, 2013
The embattled BlackBerry will reduce its staff following a disappointing first six months of 2013.
BlackBerry has laid off 250 workers at a Waterloo, Ontario product-testing facility, the company confirmedto Bloomberg on Thursday. The jobs were cut in areas that support manufacturing and research and development, according to the BlackBerry spokesperson who confirmed the news toBloomberg.
BlackBerry's layoffs are just the latest in a string of bad news from the company, which has so far tried unsuccessfully to regain its once-stable footing in the mobile market. BlackBerry 10, the operating system that was supposed to put the company back into play against iOSand Android, has largely fallen flat, and its Z10 touch-screen phone failed to appeal toconsumers to the degree to which the company had hoped.
Meanwhile, BlackBerry has seen shareholders abandon it in droves. Since the beginning of 2013, BlackBerry shares are down 24 percent to $9.04.
Despite the cuts, BlackBerry is still a massive company with nearly 13,000 employees. http://m.cnet.com/news/blackberry-lays-off-250-workers-all-of-them-in-canada/57595484
funny how the overhyped phone brand is loosing it day by day!!! tongue
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by Acidosis(m): 7:20am On Jul 26, 2013
awww

The end is near..
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by Nobody: 7:30am On Jul 26, 2013
wondaful....2nd tu comment
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by Youngpo413: 7:42am On Jul 26, 2013
What a pity,anyway,take heart cuz there`s no champion for life.
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by sanandreas(m): 7:45am On Jul 26, 2013
Gradual death. It was predicted.
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by physise(m): 9:44am On Jul 26, 2013
bb don fall
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by ximarro(m): 9:59am On Jul 26, 2013
Weda e fall or crash o, i mst d use BB. Pinging tins.
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by bigt2(m): 1:13pm On Jul 26, 2013
ximarro: Weda e fall or crash o, i mst d use BB. Pinging tins.
one word- bootlicker!
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jul 26, 2013
Android don destroy bb market...eya
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by NEROSKY(m): 7:28pm On Jul 26, 2013
My Android bad ooo! grin

Useless company that doesn't know how to produce midrange phones for people that can't buy a phone for 100k, even if you want to place your product on that category, make a better phone with O.S that can compete with iOS & Android .... I like this downfall, they get what they want, management that lack common sense... My friend that bought Z10 has been crying ever since because me that used 30k for Sony XperiA U get much more value for my money than him that spent 110 for Z10 white... I play games & runs app worth 3gb but he doesn't, he can't even use instagram..... Lolz grin
Any company that lacks market strategies should expect their downfall

LAST BULLET ; make phone for everybody with latest O.S, not for some people...
With 20 to 30k You will be able to use jelly bean which is Android latest O.S, had it been is BB, you'll hear 120k, Even apple are planning to produce midrange phones with latest O.S...... All the same, I won't use Z20 for 5k #TeamAndroid #TeamSony #TeamTecno grin

Mods, front page things

3 Likes

Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 27, 2013
this thread rili deserve front page
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by OCTAVO: 9:31am On Jul 27, 2013
^^Why does the thread deserve front page?
I guess it's all about mockery Sheh?
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by mrdrizzy(m): 9:56am On Jul 27, 2013
Lets nt run down bb yet atall,dey are jst nt organised atall! Why do dey even wonna partner with android,dey could be on their own,make many apps,there are many apps mangers online..dey should sign contract with developers and so on..bblackberry should have its own seperate os.,am alreay tired of the all traffic android,everything na android..dats why i like nokia oh! Dey keep selling more and more.shey dem no get manager or advisers to advise em.nawa
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by OCTAVO: 10:04am On Jul 27, 2013
mr.drizzy:
Lets nt run down bb yet atall,dey are jst nt organised atall! Why do dey even wonna partner with android,dey could be on their own,make many apps,there are many apps mangers online..dey should sign contract with developers and so on..bblackberry should have its own seperate os.,am alreay tired of the all traffic android,everything na android.. dats why i like nokia oh! Dey keep selling more and more. shey dem no get manager or advisers to advise em.nawa
Who told you Nokia keeps selling more and more?
Get your facts right Bro.
Though their deliberate isolation from Android Os would have been ok if only the windows Os they incorporated into their devices had offered more than the Android OS other Telecomms giant like Samsung and others are using.
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by mrdrizzy(m): 10:58am On Jul 27, 2013
OCTAVO:
Who told you Nokia keeps selling more and more?
Get your facts right Bro.
Though their deliberate isolation from Android Os would have been ok if only the windows Os they incorporated into their devices had offered more than the Android OS other Telecomms giant like Samsung and others are using.
u guys keep calling get ur facts well like sey na d only english dey naija,go and make research i dnt have power to argue,last year nokia made over 30billion euros and dey were d 2nd largest mobile fone maker/seller behind samsung(dey still are),dis year nokia made 140% gain dan last year,becos of the wp8 os,currently nokia make more sales dan blackberry and some other brands(dnt wonna mention names) **off to do some sanitation**
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by LordReed(m): 12:38pm On Jul 27, 2013
mr.drizzy:
u guys keep calling get ur facts well like sey na d only english dey naija,go and make research i dnt have power to argue,last year nokia made over 30billion euros and dey were d 2nd largest mobile fone maker/seller behind samsung(dey still are),dis year nokia made 140% gain dan last year,becos of the wp8 os,currently nokia make more sales dan blackberry and some other brands(dnt wonna mention names) **off to do some sanitation**

Yes indeed get your facts right. Nokia is no longer the number one phone maker which means they are not selling more and more as you say.
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by mrdrizzy(m): 12:41pm On Jul 27, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Yes indeed get your facts right. Nokia is no longer the number one phone maker which means they are not selling more and more as you say.
whatThe hell are u saying dnt u read Who says nokia are the 1st,abi u need more googles ni,pls read well b4 quoting,nokia has been second last yr and they still are dis year,did u even read d post so??
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 27, 2013
I saw this coming to pass right from when i was in my mothers womb; that one day, Blackberry will sack all it's worker when Android begins to take over the tech market. Just like the way Nokia 3310 became a forget history, thesame way, Blackberry will be a forgotten history.
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by LordReed(m): 1:04pm On Jul 27, 2013
mr.drizzy:
whatThe hell are u saying dnt u read Who says nokia are the 1st,abi u need more googles ni,pls read well b4 quoting,nokia has been second last yr and they still are dis year,did u even read d post so??

You said they are selling more and more meanwhile their market share is shrinking. Who needs the glasses more me or you?
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by mrdrizzy(m): 1:57pm On Jul 27, 2013
Lord_Reed:

You said they are selling more and more meanwhile their market share is shrinking. Who needs the glasses more me or you?
yes they are selling more dan last year,what is there to argue about again,is it cus ur a android user so u can detect whats ryt again,nokia isnt shrinking,if nokia is shrinking den what is htc doing??,nokia(lumia) make more sales in southern and eatern europe more dan any smartfone,even in south america..cus dey sell dnt mean dey are 1st,bros i said dey are 2nd,if u cnt read well den jst forget it,i rest my case on dis..lets focus on d topic abeg.thank you

nb:apologies for the harsh words,#no offence
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by Acidosis(m): 2:01pm On Jul 27, 2013
mr.drizzy:

haha... is it the same nokia that now beg seun osewa to help advertise lumia phones on nairaland?
grin

1 Like

Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by mrdrizzy(m): 2:09pm On Jul 27, 2013
Acidosis:

haha... is it the same nokia that now beg seun osewa to help advertise lumia phones on nairaland?
grin
hahah lols u no well
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by LordReed(m): 2:25pm On Jul 27, 2013
mr.drizzy:
yes they are selling more dan last year,what is there to argue about again,is it cus ur a android user so u can detect whats ryt again,nokia isnt shrinking,if nokia is shrinking den what is htc doing??,nokia(lumia) make more sales in southern and eatern europe more dan any smartfone,even in south america..cus dey sell dnt mean dey are 1st,bros i said dey are 2nd,if u cnt read well den jst forget it,i rest my case on dis..lets focus on d topic abeg.thank you

nb:apologies for the harsh words,#no offence

You brought up the topic. Nokia's market share is down from last year. Check it.
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by ochukoccna: 3:31pm On Jul 27, 2013
@ drizzy and Reed,
Nokia has lost the PHONE top dog tag to Sammy just like Apple lost the SMARTPHONE top dog tag to the same peeps
Sammy really thought out their mobiles assault well
However Nokia has been showing signs of improvement with their Asha series for the bottom end of the market and heir mid/top market incursion with their Lumia series
The Lumia 1020 is seriously wowing peeps seeing Andriod and Iphone are dry for now 'innovation wise'
If they can bring in more hardware innovation which Nokia is renowned for and Microsoft can step up to the plate in software, they won't become top dog any time soon but they will have a bigger piece of the phone pie
My 2 cents wink wink
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by Ozone4eva: 3:40pm On Jul 27, 2013
Chaai, R.I.P to R.I.M
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by Acidosis(m): 3:49pm On Jul 27, 2013
ochukoccna: @ drizzy and Reed,
Nokia has lost the PHONE top dog tag to Sammy just like Apple lost the SMARTPHONE top dog tag to the same peeps
However Nokia has been showing signs of improvement with their Asha series for the bottom end of the market and heir mid/top market incursion with their Lumia series
The Lumia 1020 is seriously wowing peeps seeing Andriod and Iphone are dry for now 'innovation wise'
If they can bring in more hardware innovation which Nokia is renowned for and Microsoft can step up to the plate in software, they won't become top dog any time soon but they will have a bigger piece of the phone pie
My 2 cents wink wink

Here what nokianigerian fans have to say about your highly exalted lumia phones smiley

nonsense d bluetooth is not even working wit other phones, only wit zune, i wasted my moni.

Halimat Crisluv Limmie Roosevelt
D nokia lumia 920 is a useless phne dats d worst phne nokia eva made, i totally wasted my money

Ngozi Shalom Okeke
Nonsense lumia phones. D phone dt u can hardly download music, it mst b frm zune whc is rubbish. U can not even use d music there as your ringing tone. Nokia Lumia Nonsense! I regret wastin my money on a Lumia 920

Ismail Ahmodu
all nokia lumia na wash imagine lumia 520, 920 run on the same 512RAM and even the window8 him self has very limited app i can never recomend anbody to buy any of the lumia range becos all na the same in as much na window phone. i just prefer an android to any range of phone for know

Abeg I don tire to post.. You can check the page

https://m.facebook.com/comment/replies/?ctoken=552692961433710_1642815&p=10&count=25&ft_ent_identifier=552692961433710&gfid=AQAkbq80dLO9QuDJ
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by free2ryhme: 4:25pm On Jul 27, 2013
it done red for blackberry oooo

the berry done dey ripe ooo

redberry will be next thing ooo
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by LordReed(m): 4:46pm On Jul 27, 2013
ochukoccna: @ drizzy and Reed,
My 2 cents wink wink

Well I hope Nokia can keep up even though I'm not sure the Lumia 1020 can turn their fortunes around. At this point I want to agree with some analysts that think Nokia should become more aggressive in the low budget smartphone marketas people switch over from feature phones to smartphones. The Asha series, the Lumia 520 and 620 are more of what will give Nokia an edge but if WP8 continues to look like it doesn't have apps to match the Apple and Android stores they will continue to lag behind.
Re: Blackberry Lays Off 250 Workers In Canada by RedCard1(m): 5:06pm On Jul 27, 2013
Acidosis:

Here what nokianigerian fans have to say about your highly exalted lumia phones smiley

Abeg I don tire to post.. You can check the page

https://m.facebook.com/comment/replies/?ctoken=552692961433710_1642815&p=10&count=25&ft_ent_identifier=552692961433710&gfid=AQAkbq80dLO9QuDJ
me too, I regret buying a Lumia 520. To download music na wahala, to set music as ringtone na another wahala. Whatsapp keeps hanging. The only good thing about the phone is the touch display. WP8 needs to be more innovated. My cousin loves his lumia 720 though. All d same, I think Nokia made much profit with their useless and non-smart cheap Asha series. In Nigeria last year, Asha phones sold like hell especially Asha 200/201. Nokia is just doing better than Blackberry, LG and even HTC. Nokia has good business sense. They always recognises their market target (even though they once got missing in the smartphone market). Blackberry devices are overpriced just like Iphones. They can never make mid-range smartphones. Even d leading Samsung is making mid-range phones. BB became popular in Naija simply because people easily gets fairly used ones, if it was just brand new ones that have been available, believe me BBs would have died unnoticed. It has also been said that touch screen phones isn't for BB which contributed to Z10's downfall. They should get better advisers. It doesn't necessarily mean they must go Android. A lot of companies are into Android already which is why HTC is just struggling to survive in a World ruled by Samsung and LG is just dying in obscurity. Android needs serious competition with other OSs. BB needs to sit up. Back to Nokia, they are doing fine but WP8 needs to be upgraded ASAP.

(1) (Reply)

Rarely Used Tecno N7 With Complete Accessories (just Like New) 22,000naira / What's The Best Data Bundle Deal In Nigeria Today? / Please Teach Me How To Flash Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.