Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,028 members, 7,803,457 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores (36167 Views)

Meet The 'controversial' MBAISE People Of Imo State / Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today / The Tortoise And The Snake - A Yoruuba Folk Tale [contrast To America's Tale] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by nwakaibe(m): 8:41am On Jul 17, 2008
Continuation of my  Mbediogu stories.

When Chukwu saw that Mbe was making good use of the wisdom he gave him, He decided to give him more tasks to perform.
He then gave him an oke okpa(cock)  grin grin and nnekwu(hen) kiss kiss asking him to bring the oke okpa back when it lays eggs and hatches them. in infact, the oke okpa was given to Mbe on lease.chukwu also asked him to bring back the hen when it begins to crow.
Mbe looked at Chukwu and sighed in his heart that the taste of wisdom is in the execution of assigned duties.
He went home with the chicken and made a good meal of them.
After some time, Chukwu asked Mbe of the welfare of the fowls and when he will be expecting them back.
One day, Mbe came to the market square and started weeping profusely. Passers-by and traders in the market started asking him, mbe,nwa aniga, what ails you.? He replied that his father just died while giving birth and his mother was killed at the war front by enemies.
Chukwu on hearing this screamed at Mbe asking him whether men give birth or women go to war?
Mbe replied and asked Chukwu whether oke Okp-a lays eggs and hatches them, whether hens crow.
Hanging his head in pride, He named himself, Ojebe ojesu. cool

1 Like

Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 12:18pm On Jul 19, 2008
Kai! dis mbediogu, u no go kill me with lafta  grin

nice one nwakaibe  wink
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 4:55pm On Jul 21, 2008
Rotflmao
Nwakaibe i ji ya.i ji mbe na siki 6 cheesy
Echelon,oya your turn tongue
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 5:11pm On Jul 21, 2008
O nwere akuko mbe mu n'acho iche te odi uto nke ukwu mu che taya ama abia koo ya
onye nkuzi m na primary school koro anyi akuko ahu
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 5:14pm On Jul 21, 2008
rubi:

O nwere akuko mbe mu n'acho iche te odi uto nke ukwu mu che taya ama abia koo ya
onye nkuzi m na primary school koro anyi akuko ahu
ngwa me ngwa biko.chekasia uburu gi bia kooo di akukuo. unu kotugwanu nke nwere abu na ukwe noooooow tongue
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 5:26pm On Jul 21, 2008
Ify, I chetara akuko mbe ahu Mike Ejeagha koro? E chetaghi m akuko ahu mana e chetara m egwu a guru na ya:

Nna mu eze a kpata m enyi
Nna mu eze a kpata m enyi

Nwa mbe i si na i kpata onye?
Nwa mbe i si na i kpata onye?

A si m ani ya dube enyi, chebe enyi
O di ka m si na a kpata m enyi

A si m ani ya dube enyi, chebe enyi
O di ka m si na a kpata m enyi

O bu enyi ga-abu isi oche
O bu enyi ga-abu isi oche

Enyi na-aga na m so gi n'azu
Enyi na-aga na m so gi n'azu

Belele mbe
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 5:31pm On Jul 21, 2008
Roflmao
i know da song but a maghim the akuko.maybe Rubi knows undecided
onye bu enyi na isi eji ukwu acho akpusi? cheesy
lol,Ejeagha na akuko na egwu ya
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 3:22pm On Jul 23, 2008
@eche I want to ask if it is alright tell other tales stories a part from tortoise it is like we are exhausted from tortoise story. I have other stories to tell I know people are enjoying our story thread what do you think any input from ify and nwaka smiley
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 3:25pm On Jul 23, 2008
Yes of course! That's the idea wink
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 5:47pm On Jul 23, 2008
rubi i dey your back.lol
i be like say MBE don die cheesy cheesy cheesy
more storiessssssssssss buko .
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by nwakaibe(m): 7:55pm On Jul 24, 2008
No way!!!Mbe is still alive and kicking.
Now lets go.
Why Mbe hides in its shell
Ifo de, id, e. Oruru ofu oge, ofu oge aru.

In the land of idu na oba, there was a severe famine. All the animals were dying of hunger. the animals were foraging in the bush looking for some thing to eat and be alife. it was as if there was a consipiracy because all the edible trees refused to bear fruit.

Mbediogu one day decided to go deep inside the bush to look for food. He decided that it is better to die trying rather to sit down in the house and allow hunger kill him with his family slowly.

Mbe concluded in his heart, onye kwere,chi ekwere. While foraging inside the bush, Mbe saw a ripe and fresh palm fruit. He quickly ate it as he had not eaten for days.
Looking around, he a lonely palm tree with a ripe head of palm nuts on top( ogbe akwu) grin grin

Mbe did a little jig and praised his chi for leading him to the tree. He said that it is with ofo that the earthworm burrows through the earth.

Mbe quickly cut some ropes(udo) and wove an ete used for climbing palm trees.
He climbed the tree and cut down the palm head.
Climbing down, he looked for the palm and could not find it. Mbe noticed a small hole and climbed into it to see whether the palm head rolled into it.

The hole led into a tunnel and Mbe contnued to follow it saying that if the mouth did not finish what it is chewing, the jaws cannot rest.

He contnued until he reached a wide cavern and saw a group of ndi mmuo wink wink shocked shocked shocked shocked feasting on his palm head.
Without fear, Mbe howled at ndi mmuo to let go of his palm head as there is famine in the land of human beings.

But the leader of the ndi mmuo told Mbe that they love palm nuts. To compensate him, they gave him a magical drum which when beaten, all manner flows out. They told him not to wash it with water or the magic will spoiul.
Mbe tried his hands on the drum and all manner of food flowed out. Name it, pounded yam and ofe nsala, akpu and ofe egusi kiss kiss kiss. Mbe ate to his full and ran home with the drum.
Reaching his house, he let out a torrent of beats and food just flowed. His family just descended on the pile and ate to their fill.
Mbe sent for all the animals,beat the drum and there was food everywhere. They ate and ate and called Mbe Chief. cheesy cheesy.
So on a daily basis, Mbe gathers the animals and fed them.
It happened that Mbe went on a journey and anim, his wife invited her friends, brought out the drum and beat it. Food rolled out and they ate to theri fill.
She used water to wash off her finger prints.
When Mbe came back, he beat the drum but no food came out. He enqiured and foound out what happened.

The next day, Mbe set out to the place where he saw the palm tree. He looked around but there was no fresh fruit only a dry palm nut which he took and threw inside the hole.
Mbe went after the nut and reached the meeting place of ndi mmuo. They told Mbe that they did not see any nut.they serached and saw a dry nut wchic they said they did not need.
Mbe insisted on a replacement of thye drum. They gave him a new drum and on getting out, he gave a few taps. Swarms of bees flew out and he retreated into his shell.
Gettinghome, he invited the animals as usualo and they gathered.
Mbe said that the new drum is special and needed a special strong hand to beat it. The elephant voluntered and gave sveral loud thuds on the drum. swarms of bees flew out and stung the animals silly. they took off in all directions.but Mbe retreated into his shell.
After some time, Mbe brought his head to see if the bees had dispersed. The animals who by time had returned gave him a hard knock on the head. From that day, Mbe had to hide in shell when ever another animal is around.

Mbe nwa aniga,ojebe ojesu.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 10:00pm On Jul 24, 2008
rotflmao
Nwakaibe u modified and revised the story jor tongue
when wud this Mbe finally die sef? cheesy
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by Mustay(m): 4:17pm On Jul 29, 2008
The tortoise grin grin

Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by echelon(m): 5:54pm On Jul 29, 2008
You don't say! This one could be up to a hundred years old.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 2:57pm On Aug 01, 2008
ooh these one looks so old and ugly cheesy
have any one here eaten the Tortoise b4 sef? tongue
very very sweet when prepared by niger delta folks,lol as peppersoup kiss
@Topic,wheres everyone
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by nwakaibe(m): 4:11pm On Aug 01, 2008
make una write now!!! Ify nwanne m biko tell us one mbe story
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 4:13pm On Aug 01, 2008
i chop mbe peppersoup last nite,am afraid but i cant tell any story abt him now tongue
i choro ka afo sam ?lol the mbe fit revolt for my belly. cheesy
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by nwakaibe(m): 4:47pm On Aug 01, 2008
Na wa for u. next week i am coming out with fresh mbe stories. one of them deals with how mbe went with nkita for wrestling competition.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 5:31pm On Aug 01, 2008
Once upom atime there was this great king who had 7 wives but for no reason he hated one of the wives to the core also he keep hoping that one of the wives will give him male child to boost his ego as a man. As God would have it I don't know what he ate and pregnanted the wives at the same time all were happy to be pregnant for the king as per who will give him male child. When the time for them to deliver each one of them delievered female child but that one the king hated delivered a bouncing baby boy so there was confusion everywhere the kings wives started to argue and drag for that male child everyone of them abandoned there baby and insisted that she was the one who gave birth to the boy.

The story reached king's ear and the king summond all the women and announced to them that there is no need to fight over the baby that a day has been set aside for naming ceremony of that child and all should get prepared in a big way. The king gave all the women huge amonut of money for them to use and do some shopping like buying wrapper, cooking and decorate themselves but that one he hated he gave her nothing so that rejected wife went to the bush and killed some animal gather some fire wood and prepare her own food as little as she can afford.

The dee day came all the wives dressed very well prepared their delicious meal and served the food in a beautiful bowl so as to attract the child. Everyone was standing beside her food meanwhile. The king hired very strong youth in the community in case the child turns anyone food down that person will be forced to move out from the kings palace. The drumers, village dancer all came as they were singing the child was brought out he tasted the first food he did not like the taste he spitted it out from his mouth and that woman was asked to go move out from kings palace the child did the same thing to all the wives but when he came to his bone of his bone and the flesh of his flesh there was no shaking and argument the food was tasteless, no good smell she dressed in tarted clothes and her table was far from where the cremony was being held (goose flesh is all over rubi) the male child saw that table from afar and ran to the the table sat down ate the whole food and hug this woman who is his real mother nobody told him any story but blood is thicker than water they held hands and wept deeply everyone was amazed he took this woman to the king and said to the king that something in him is telling him that this is his real mother the nurses confirmed it too since that day his mother moved to the kings palace till present
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 1:29pm On Aug 02, 2008
@Nwakaibe lol,abt it.we dey hia dey wait.
@Rubi,lol.a breath of fresh air finally from mbe and his cunny ways.
where is Echelon?
mine wud be morrow.
@Rubi,i have heard this story a million times.it has a song within.lol
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 7:16pm On Aug 02, 2008
@ify You are right I cannot remeber the song because it has been long the story was heard last
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by nwakaibe(m): 3:24pm On Aug 05, 2008
Ify my love, dont worry,i will be back soon with the stories. oru bank m na aru na eri my time.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by agaba123(m): 5:22pm On Aug 06, 2008
Oti oyooo
O yooo otiiiiiiii

Onwere akuko m ga-akoro unu, kooro anyi ya k'obi di anyi mma.

Onwere otu oge, akporo umu nnunu oriri n'elu igwe. Umu nnunu wee kpo mbe nwaniga ka osoro ha gaa.
Mbe si ha na onye o bula ga-aza aha a ga na-akpo ya. Mgbe onye o bula wechara aha O ga-aza, mbe si na aha a ga-akpo ya bu, unu niile.

Makana mbe enweghi nku O ga-eji fegoro eluigwe, umu nnunu were tukota nku nye ya were uro we nyado ya na ahu. Ha wee malite nje m ruo eluigwe.

Mgbe onye kporo ha batara bute ihe oriri
Mbve nwaniga juo ya, kedu onye nwe nke a, o zaa ya 'o bu unu niile.

Mbe si O nke a bu nke m. Ya buru riche. Nke o bula ebutere o buru nke unu niile.
Umu nnunu enweghi ha riri. Iwe wee wee ha
Onye obula adokara nku ya fere laa a hapu mbe ebe ahu
Di nwe ulo bia tuturu mbe si na eluigwe tudata ya ala.
Mbe daa n'ala kuwasiya.

Mgbe O huru ijere ka O na agafe, O yoo ya ka onyere ya aka dokota ya onu. ijere nyere ya aka
mana mgbe o mechara, aru mbe adighizi akwo muru muru ka O di na mbu. ihe mere ahu mbe ji di mgbakwunye mgbakwunye ruo taa

Ihe mmuta di nakuko m bu na anya ukwu adighi mma
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by agaba123(m): 5:35pm On Aug 06, 2008
O ti O yoo

O yoo Otiiiii

Oruru otu oge, agu tuwara nwunye ya ime. nwunye muta ada ya. Ada agu maara mma nke ukwu. Mbe huru ada agu choo ilu ya ma ada agu achoghi ilu mbe. Agu acvhoghikwa ka nwa ya luo mbe. Mbe chechaa ihe O ga-eme oo Omaghi. O ruo otu ubochi O jee kpoo enyi ewi ka o bia turoro onu tutu ruo na okpuru be agu. ewi mere ihe enyi ya yooro ya.

Mbe rikpuo n'onu ahu were guwa

onye ga-alu ada agu mbe
onye ga-alu ada agu mbe
ma mbe alughi ada agu onwu
nne gi ga-anwu
nna gi ga-anwu
ada bekee ada agu ga-anwu

Mgbe agu nuru ihe a O bi gbawa ya.
O gbagharia choo onye na-agu ka o were aka dogbuo ya. ma O hughi. O were kpebie na O bu ndi muo na-agwa ya ihe O ga-eme
Agu kporo ada ya yoo ya ka okwere luo mbe ka ha niile were di ndu
Agu mere ososo zipu ndi oje ozi ya ka ha jee gwa mbe ka O bia gbaa nkwu nwanyi.
Mbe mekwara ngwangwa je luru ada agu.
mana ewi no na akuku na-anara mbe aka azu mgbe o bula maka O mara nihe niile bere na abali abuchaghi anwu nta
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by onyinye2(f): 6:11pm On Aug 06, 2008
@agaba
I hope you are happy because you got me bringing out all my Igbo dictionaries and papers trying to translate your piece. grin
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by agaba123(m): 7:12pm On Aug 06, 2008
onyinye2:

@agaba
I hope you are happy because you got me bringing out all my Igbo dictionaries and papers trying to translate your piece. grin
hehehe
Good for you. grin grin
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 7:28pm On Aug 06, 2008
rotflmao
@Nwakaibe ,ooooh choochi.u no want make Mbe die sef ?,u keep ressurecting him with ya stories :
@Rubi,lol more kiss
Echelon where are you?
story ! story ! ! story ! ! !
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by rubi(f): 7:38pm On Aug 06, 2008
eche n'eru mgbede

@ify kedu kwa nu? iso nime otu ndi m ji abia n'okpako nairaland smiley kiss
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by nwakaibe(m): 12:16pm On Aug 07, 2008
Ify rove kiss kiss kiss take this one for a start. will complete it later.

Mbe follows Nkita to wresting fair.
In the early days when animals still retained the power of speech and Lion was the king of the jungle, there were foot paths under the palm and ukwa trees while lizards still moved in twos and threes.
Then the tree tops were the natural abode of the osa and uze, while stories were still told under moon lights.

There was a terrible famine in the animal kingdom. Rains refused to fall at the appropriate time, grasses dried up and the animals could not find food to eat. Following the famine, many animals started dying off while those that survived looked skinny and bony from the hunger effect.

Only Nkita among the animals was looking healthy and most animals thronged his house to find out his secret. Nkita being a shrewd animal refused to divulge the source of his well being.

Mbe being a tricky fellow and full of cunning decided to break through Nkita’s resistance and discover the secret to his food source. He visited a counselor to advise him on how to win Nkita’s favor. The counselor told him that Nkita loves fresh palm wine and advised him to go to him with a calabash of fresh one.

One early morning, Mbe arrived at Nkita’s house and started praising him on his skills as a hunter, trust and speed. The praise singing continued and Mbe brought the calabash of palm wine and presented to Nkita.

After the normal ritual of breaking of kola nuts, Mbe presented his case to Nkita saying that Nkita should help him. Nkita gave him large pieces of meat and Mbe was thrilled and asked him for the source.

Nkita told Mbe that he gets the meat from mkpi (he-goat) he wins at wrestling fairs held weekly at the goats’ village in the neighboring community.
He explained that in the wrestling fair, who ever is thrown down belongs to the victor who is free to sell him or slaughter him for food. Also the victim could be redeemed.

Nkita then asked Mbe whether he is a good wrestler. Mbe replied that his father was the wrestling champion of his own and the skill flows in his system.

He asked Mbe to come back early morning in two days time so they can proceed to the wrestling fair. The wrestling fair holds every two igbo market weeks.
He also drilled it into Mbe’s ears that the rules meant that if he is thrown, he becomes the property of the victor and Mbe accepted agreeing to meet Nkita on the agreed date.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 12:57pm On Aug 07, 2008
hmmmn
Nwakaibe,this one is scary undecided are we sure that Mbe wud survive this? am waiting patiently
rubi,adim nma.
Echelon, angry angry angry
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by nwakaibe(m): 3:07pm On Aug 07, 2008
Ify, part 2 of the series.

Mbe follows Nkita to wrestling fair.
Before the appointed day, Mbe went and got himself a new cutlass which he kept sharpening with salt and grinding stone. Mbe would strut around throwing up the cutlass and catching it. He suddenly dash into the bush and slash at trees demonstrating how he would slash the necks of mkpi he will won at the fair.

He went to Nkita’s house and showed him the knife and did a warrior’s dance saying that his father Aniga was a renowned warrior of note.
Nkita told him to sheath the cutlass until he wins at the wrestling fair saying that you have to hold the egbe(kite) in your hands before asking whether women can partake of the meat.

On the appointed day, Mbe was at Nkita’s house early in the morning. He came with ten ropes and after the morning ritual of nzu and oji, they left together for the wrestling fair. On the way, Mbe was regaling Nkita of his prowess in manly activities such as wars, farming, wrestling and others.

Nkita advised Mbe to save his breath and used it at the arena.

Very soon, the duo arrived at the arena and registered their presence. The organizers of the fair came and read out the rules of the competition saying that while some go home in triumph, others would go home in tethers being led as trophies. Those who did not agree should pack their bags and go home or cheer from the side lines.

Nkita quickly went into action and asked Mbe to watch him do the first wrestling. He touched a big fat mkpi and two of them begin to slug it out. Very soon, Nkita did a special trick and the mkpi was down. He went and tethered it at where defeated animals were kept.

He told Mbe to come and prove his wrestling prowess. Mbe greedily pounced on a big mkpi and in a twinkle of an eye the he-goat had Mbe on the ground. Mbe begin to plead with Nkita not to allow the mkpi take him home. Nkita listened to him and bailed him by sacrificing the goat he won early on.

With that done, Nkita asked Mbe to stay on the side line and not wrestle again. Nkita now swing into action and in short time ten mkpis.
Mbe out of envy went to wrestle again and was defeated. The victor tied him to the stake. When Nkita came to tether another, he saw Mbe tied up at the stake. Mbe again pleaded to be saved. Nkita being the person that brought Mbe to the place again saved him.
As the fair was rounding up, Nkita saw one old mkpi suffering from afo osi-sa grin grin grin(diarrhea) and Mbe to wrestle that one. Alas Mbe could not defeat that one. But as the judges were momentarily distracted, Nkita kicked off the mkpi legs from behind and Mbe pushed him down. He now used all the ropes he brought and tethered the goat.

It was now time to go him, while Nkita took along the twelve he goats he won, Mbe was dragging the only one Nkita helped him to win.
Mbe was busy plotting how to cheat Nkita out of his prizes as they headed home. He was envious of nkita's success and decided to use tricks collect the mkpis.

Wait for the continuation.
Re: Mbediọgụ: The Controversial Tortoise And Other Folklores by ifyalways(f): 6:13pm On Aug 07, 2008
rotflmao
why did nkita even help him?he should have left him to die jare tongue
Nwakaibe,its a nice story.Never heard it b4.cant wait for the part 3

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Emir Of Zazzau, Shehu Idris, Dies At 84 / Body Of Olubadan Saliu Adetunji Arrives Palace, To Be Buried Today (Video, Photo / Ooni Ogunwusi Hosts Eze Chukwuemeka Eri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.