Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,968 members, 7,803,210 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread (23653 Views)

African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Your First Nations Cup / Multimedia Centre: Nations Cup 2006 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Xerxes4(m): 7:20pm On Jun 10, 2008
eldee:

Haba, Why you dey dissapoint me like this?
Mascherano, Scholes, Ballack?
And Essien is more likely to be best fit-in RB

So Cesc is the best midfielder in England?
Are u actually saying Cesc is better than Scholes, Gerrard, Makelele, Essien, Mascherano and Mikel Arteta?
Pass the blunt to the LHS for Eboue to puff some. . . . . .
Fab4 is way way below the ladder.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by nazzyon(m): 7:25pm On Jun 10, 2008
I have to go for a walk.

I will be back in time for the Second half.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 7:27pm On Jun 10, 2008
creative midfielder people - stop mixing things up - makalele/mascherano/senna are very different from Cesc/Scholes/Arteta

on current form, Cesc is close to being the best, I'd say only Ballack and Gerrard in England shade him right now; scholes is over the hill, Mikael is not as visionary.

this thread should not be derailed - Cesc came on and created and scored - he has shown his mettle for the national side, even when there are more experienced and just as talented midfielders as him in the side. cool

Spain to reach the quarters, but my money is still on Germany.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by eldee(m): 7:29pm On Jun 10, 2008
~Xerxes~:

So Cesc is the best midfielder in England?
Are u actually saying Cesc is better than Scholes, Gerrard, Makelele, Essien, Mascherano and Mikel Arteta?
Pass the blunt to the LHS for Eboue to puff some. . . . . .
Fab4 is way way below the ladder.
Thank God the FA and the rest of the EPL players don't agree with you
So now, just because the season ended, y'all think we've forgotten what went on

Tell me you don't actually believe Scholes is better than Fab
My dayz, you once said Scholes is not even the best in Man Utd

Arteta's so good, he's never made the Spanish B Team innit?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by tkb417(m): 7:31pm On Jun 10, 2008
Haba, Why you dey dissapoint me like this?
Mascherano, Scholes, Ballack?
And Essien is more likely to be best fit-in RB

ok i agree, take off scholes but will u say cesc is berra than Gerrard, Ballack, Mascherano and essien?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by eldee(m): 7:42pm On Jun 10, 2008
tkb417:

ok i agree, take off scholes but will u say cesc is berra than Gerrard, Ballack, Mascherano and essien?
Ballack: Gets inactive and numb most of the time

Mascherano

Gerrard is actually the only one I can take
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Hugoboi(m): 7:52pm On Jun 10, 2008
real talk!!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 8:32pm On Jun 10, 2008
F what you heard total football is back yall.My Oranje boys did me proud yesterday and my boy Cesc got on the scoring sheet today.Arsene! David Villa and Jao Moutinho are your men go for them

I did remember telling people that the Italians are perennial Euro flops yesterday's result didnt suprise me but Wesley Sneijder my goodness that guy was extra terrestrial even Dirk Kuyt was fantastic i have never seen the Dutch defend so good even Khalid Boulahrouz was outstanding shame on Chelsea for trying to ruin that young mans career
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by 4Play(m): 9:31pm On Jun 10, 2008
Funny isn't? Arsenal's best player isn't good enough to start unless Spain are playing 5 midfielders.

This must be shocking for those Arsenal fans who think Cesc is better than Maradona and Pele combined.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 9:35pm On Jun 10, 2008
shut up 4Play! tongue

We all know its Aragones' selection and of course the 'seniority' factor responsible for Cesc's position on the bench. He is good enough to be in the starting line up, but the coach prefers the more experienced Iniesta+Xavi to be the creative hub with two strikers. A player who comes on and creates a goal and sccores another is obviously good enough for the starting 11, the key is the formation chosen by the coach.

and who the heck thinks he is better than Maradona and Pele combined ? grin grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Xerxes4(m): 9:37pm On Jun 10, 2008
debosky:

creative midfielder people - stop mixing things up - makalele/mascherano/senna are very different from Cesc/Scholes/Arteta

on current form, Cesc is close to being the best, I'd say only Ballack and Gerrard in England shade him right now; scholes is over the hill, Mikael is not as visionary.

this thread should not be derailed - Cesc came on and created and scored - he has shown his mettle for the national side, even when there are more experienced and just as talented midfielders as him in the side. cool

Eldee said the best midfielder in the Premiership!!!!! He did not say the best creative midfielder.
Y'all GAYnners love to twist trees and misinform. . . . .How can Cesc be better than Gerrard and Essien . . .
I am sure Arteta is better than Cesc if he had players like Hleb, Flamini and Rosicky making the runs for him.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 9:52pm On Jun 10, 2008
This dude played scored and even provided an assist how else can you define class?Whether he starts or not doesnt matter even Kanu sometimes is played from the bench.The Greeks just got schooled by the Swedes
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by 4Play(m): 9:54pm On Jun 10, 2008
debosky:

shut up 4Play! tongue

We all know its Aragones' selection and of course the 'seniority' factor responsible for Cesc's position on the bench. He is good enough to be in the starting line up, but the coach prefers the more experienced Iniesta+Xavi to be the creative hub with two strikers. A player who comes on and creates a goal and sccores another is obviously good enough for the starting 11, the key is the formation chosen by the coach.

and who the heck thinks he is better than Maradona and Pele combined ? grin grin

Seniority factor? Presumably,Iniesta and Xavi are "seniors" to Baraja and Albeda.Torres and Villa are also seniors to Raul and Morientes.

Was it not the same Aragones that gave Cesc a starting berth during the last world cup?It was the criticisms of Cesc's performance by the Spanish media that prompted Aragones to drop him not some inane concept called "seniority".Only Gaynners will come up with such hogwash.

Because Cesc scored and had an assist,he is now better than Iniesta and Xavi? Never mind that this was his 1st goal in 27 games for Spain.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Xerxes4(m): 9:59pm On Jun 10, 2008
A-40:

This dude played scored and even provided an assist how else can you define class?Whether he starts or not doesnt matter even Kanu sometimes is played from the bench.The Greeks just got schooled by the Swedes

Cesc is great, Cesc is class and reh reh reh. . . . .
Please tell us, what has Cesc achieved in the last 4 years? NOTHING, apart from playing in the youngest team in the world. grin cheesy
When has he taken his team(club/country) to win any championship/title? NONE.
The only cup he won(FA Cup), he was a bystander.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by davidif: 10:39pm On Jun 10, 2008
The Spanish are absolutely awesome, they gave us a clinic in counte-attacking football and passing football. Everybody thought they were going to use there normal 4-3-3 with Torres as the sole striker but since the formation was unimpressive against the US in a friendly last Wednesday, they scrapped it for a 4-4-2 and even when they removed Fernando "El Nino" Torres and reverted back to the 4-3-3, the boys were still flying.

By the way, when would Nigeria ever learn to play like this guys, this is classic technical and tactical football instead of the long ball,  "jam body", "kick and follow" football we play all the time.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by DrKitaun(m): 11:31pm On Jun 10, 2008
@Jackal

and can u tell us why Evra for all bunkumery u spew isnt in the French X1 ? tongue

or why Rio Ferdinand had to be in Lagos just for a chieftancy title . . . grin

not to talk of the HARGREAVES, ROONEYS, BROWNS, that are most likely playing at home PLAYSTATION 4 BY NOW grin grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Xerxes4(m): 11:52pm On Jun 10, 2008
@ Dr Kitaun,

Evra is not the best Man Utd player, Cesc Fabregas is!!!!!!
Is it not shameful that Arsenal's best player is a bench warmer in Spain? Spain not even Brazil or Italy or GERMANY!!!!
Besides, can y'all tell us what FAB4 has won since joining Arsenal? When did he ever lead Arsenal to win a major title like big players do? grin cheesy
3 TROPHYLESS seasons and still counting. . . . . Tssssk Tssssssssssk!!!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by kaydee(m): 12:08am On Jun 11, 2008
~Xerxes~:

@ Dr Kitaun,

Is it not shameful that Arsenal's best player is a bench warmer in Spain? Spain not even Brazil or Italy or GERMANY!!!!

This ain't a diss but no Man Utd midfielder will make that Spanish midfield and i ain't talkin bout ur striker CR
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Xerxes4(m): 12:11am On Jun 11, 2008
Hargreaves, Scholes and Carrick will make Spain's midfield, never mind Anderson.
Are we talking about the same midfield that could not create and score a single goal in 3 hours of football?
When both sides played, we saw how Scholes took em apart at Nou Camp and OT, didn't he?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by kaydee(m): 12:24am On Jun 11, 2008
Yeah Scholes but ur Hagreaves Carrick and Anderson won't make the Spanish Team B
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by DrKitaun(m): 12:32am On Jun 11, 2008
@Jackal

u are taking the piss ! embarassed

Fab4 is the best Arsenal player . . .yes !

is that what is giving u migraine ?

he got a goal today . . . .whatsoever bunkum u spew wont take dat from him ! he had A PEACH PASS THRU FOR VILLA TO SCORE tongue . . .those were ur words tongue

how many of ur midfielders are playing in the EURO right about now ? WHY DONT U JUST ZIP IT ! tongue cool

we are talking about people that are HAPPENENING u are talking about people that have gone into HIBERNATION . . .SCHOLES, CARRICK, HARGREAVES ? LMAO grin grin grin

Croatia . . .God bless u, at least u have shown us how clueless English players like Carrick, Hargreaves, Rio, Rooney are even tho now u aint doin well urselves grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Xerxes4(m): 12:39am On Jun 11, 2008
Anderson is better than Iniesta. . . . .He would make the Spanish team every day of the week!!!
Besides, Cesc is not rated in Spain because he is yet to lead a team to win a major title in England.
What makes a trophyless player greater?
Tell u what. . . . . .Hargo, Scholes, Carrick and Anderson would walk into the starting XI of Spain cos they just won the UCL.
Thatz the way it works for em managers. . . . They are always attracted to title winning players not losers like Cesc.

@ Dr Kitaun,

United's midfielders won the UCL playing top teams in Europe.
Teams from Spain and Italy. . . . .If European players are so rated, why didn't any of the European clubs win the UCL?
3 Prem teams made the Semis. . . . . If Arsenal had met an European club instead of Liverpool. . . .they woulda advanced easily.
When Carrick n Scholes met Xabi and Iniesta, we all know who triumphed. . . . .When they met Cesc n Flamini, we know who triumphed.
Y'all Gaynners are fucking pathetic.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by vicade(m): 12:55am On Jun 11, 2008
Xerxes has come again o.
Cesc is not highly rated in spain? 
Andersson is better than Iniesta?
Last i checked david villa's valencia was what position in the league last season and when did they last win anything?
Champions league is every year . Eurpean championship is once in four years.

Carrick, rooney,hagreaves and ferdinad will have to wait till 2012 till the next european championship while iniesta and xabi might easily have a shot at the UCL in a year or two.

You also say united players will easily walk into the starting 11 of spain because they won the UCL
Evra was on the bench for france!!!
I think ronaldo is the only united player that has started and completed a match and edwin van der sar
the world cup is the greatest, then the european championships for an european player then the champions league in that particular order at club level

In conclusion it will be remembered that scholes was great for united and won absolutely nothing for england at national level. Whether rooney et al will also emulate that path and become underachievers like the dutch and spanish national team, time will tell.

But look on the bright side, champions league winners is just for a year. European champions last four years
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 1:03am On Jun 11, 2008
what did Puyol, Senna, Xavi and co win that they are walking into the team for Spain?

@ 4Play

don't be a cretin - Albelda had a POOR season and didn't play much at Valencia, Baraja is over the hill, of course they will be replaced by other players. Cesc is at par with Iniesta/Xavi and will probably be better than them, but due to their experience and the fact that they are still on form, they still get seniority over Fabregas. Are you saying the Fabregas of 2006 is the same as now? Or he hasn't improved and gotten better?

Where did I say he was better than Iniesta or Xavi? I said he is good enough for the first 11, it all depends on what formation the coach decides to play.But while on the subject, his role in the team is to create and score if he can, he did that for Spain - what else is required of him to be in the starting 11 I ask?

@ jackal

If coaches prefer 'winners' as you say, why does Abidal get the nod over Evra? or didn't he win the CL in Moscow too? asinine reasoning.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by vicade(m): 1:13am On Jun 11, 2008
I think the commentator on bbc said xavi and iniestas partnership at barcelona was very key in leaving out fabregas. Another school of thought from moderators was that the coach could not play both xavi and cesc fabregas in a holding midfield role with the former preferred. \\Some even stipulated that he was injured ,jaded and all. Seniority has nothing to do with this.

Eric cantona never won champions league and barely featured for france and is one of the greatest man u players ever. So is dennis bergkamp and ronaldo the phenomenon-never won the champions league. These guys are great players but never won the champions league. On a brighter note, i will like to see david silva at arsenal. He looked quality today.David cilla looks chelsea material in terms of financial capability.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Xerxes4(m): 1:40am On Jun 11, 2008
@ Vicade,

So is there anything to point that Cesc will win EURO 2008 for Spain?
Scholes was great for United and not great for England? Arsene Wenger will burn in hell to have Scholesy's title haul as a manager.
Since when did playing for country become glamorous. . . . George Weah didn't lace his boots for Liberia before he won the best player in the world, best player in Europe and the best player in Africa. Please forget the fact that Rio n Wazza won't play till 2012.
They have over achieved for Man Utd.

@ Debosky,

How many Spaniards won something remarkable last season? Sergio Ramos n Cassilas. . . .who else?
Thats the reason why Puyol, Iniesta and Senna would walk into starting XI of Spain.
Abidal got a nod ahead of Evra because of Evra's small frame against the physical Romanians. . . Besides, Abidal reached the semis of UCL.
Barca were a goal away from playing in the the final.

Why were Flamini and Clichy left out of the French squad? Because they have won nuthing.
Had Arsenal won the league, those lads would have made it to EURO 2008.
Y'all GAYnners love clutching at straws. . . . . .Fab4 scored his 1st international goal in 27 games and thus pre-ejaculations everywhere.
I wont be surprised if y'all come again in August to say Arsenal would win the QUAD.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by smol(m): 2:17am On Jun 11, 2008
@ ~Xerxes~
"Since when did playing for country become glamorous"- pls i suggest you recant these fallacious statement you made. playing for country is the most glamorous part of being a footballer.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by kaydee(m): 3:10am On Jun 11, 2008
If Clichy had made it,he'd still be on the bench like ur Evra who won something and still on the bench for someone who's won nothin in 2 years.Nani's on the bench for Simao too.Senderos played for Switzerland,Lehman for Germany,Gallas played for France,Fab for Spain and Persie for Holland. So Fab's got 27 caps already? That boy is really good
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Xerxes4(m): 3:29am On Jun 11, 2008
Nani's on the bench for Simao? Is Nani Man Utd's best player?
How old is Nani?

I keep telling y'all. . . . . .Abidal will always be preferred to Evra because of his physique not because he is better than Evra.
Fab4 is Arsenal's heartbeat and yet he cannot make Spain's starting XI.

Lehmann for Germany(who else would Germany play, Oliver Khan?)
Senderos is Switzerland's most decorated player. . . . Even if he plays for Derby County, he would still make the Swiss team.
Persie was on the bench(he didn't start).
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by davidif: 3:36am On Jun 11, 2008
Italy needs to make some changes in there line up, they need to replace Gattuso and Ambrosini with De Rossi and Perrotta and replace Camoranesi with Aquilani or Antonio Cassano. Camoranesi wasn't getting the job done in the last game and the team desperately needs to get younger.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 3:38am On Jun 11, 2008
Diarra was in the French squad since before he won anything, or was it the FA cup that he won that got him in? don't even get me started about Domenech and his muppet selection, that coach will NEVER win anything with France because he doesn't have it in him.

Has Fabregas won anything? You talk like he's 32 and on the verge of retiring - titles will come, trophies will come. Whether he is the best or not, ANY creative midfielder in the world save for Zidane would have a problem getting into the middle of the park for Spain - the coach is sticking with his tried and tested formation first, one that is honed game in game out at club level, so there's no biggy about that. Cesc is as good if not better than Xavi/Iniesta or will be in a year or two. I have absolutely no worries about his form or role in the Spanish side, his performance today shows he is no longer a tyro at this stage.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by TOH(f): 5:28am On Jun 11, 2008
oyato, kitaun and tbk tongue

3 guys are not serious. wetin be "what are you doing here" undecided

why dont you ask Ruuuuuuud? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Arsenal Signs Thomas Partey From Atletico Madrid / Emenike In ‘shock’ After Fenerbahce Bus Shooting - Vanguard / Eden Hazard Scores First Real Madrid Goal Since Chelsea Transfer (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.