Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,243 members, 7,780,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:18 PM

Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? (10257 Views)

Does Praying In Our Mind And Praying Out Loud Have Any Difference In God? / Check Out This Picture Of A Pastor Praying For A Woman In Church. SCREENSHOT. / Pastor Runs Mad While Praying For Mad Man In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 26, 2013
The moment a person dies, all I keep hearing is 'RIP'. I know it is written 'after death comes judgement'. Now is it possible that the prayers of people on earth can influence the divine judgement they deserve?

1 Like

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by don33310(m): 9:04pm On Jul 26, 2013
I think prayer is a mere wish

1 Like

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 26, 2013
Yes it works for those who died in sin that does not lead to spiritual death.1john 5:17.

Read up 1 cor 15:29 to see that the apostles even baptised people on behalf of those who are dead.

7 Likes

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 26, 2013
chukwudi44: Yes it works for those who died in sin that does not lead to spiritual death.1john 5:17.

Read up 1 cor 15:29 to see that the apostles even baptised people on behalf of those who are dead.
do you practise mormonism?
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by macklef(m): 10:20pm On Jul 26, 2013
blink182: The moment a person dies, all I keep hearing is 'RIP'. I know it is written 'after death comes judgement'. Now is it possible that the prayers of people on earth can influence the divine judgement they deserve?

No No No, everybody is responsible for wat dey do in life. salvation is individual..
even if the whole world prays on d behalf of dat dead person.. it dosnt change a tin. d dead cant affect d living neither can d living affect d dead. Ecc 9:5,6 also explains d condition of the dead.

9 Likes

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jul 26, 2013
macklef:

No No No, everybody is responsible for wat dey do in life. salvation is individual..
even if the whole world prays on d behalf of dat dead person.. it dosnt change a tin. d dead cant affect d living neither can d living affect d dead. Ecc 9:5,6 also explains d condition of the dead.
my thoughts too but this RIP talk is so much and used by even clergy men.

1 Like

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Infomizer(m): 12:01am On Jul 27, 2013
don33310: I think prayer is a mere wish
Well said. Imho, praying for the dead is waste of time. They don't need it. Although you, my friend (the praying mantis), need it more since you are alive (for you that believe in it o!) and you've got issues that a cadaver lacks.

3 Likes

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Infomizer(m): 12:04am On Jul 27, 2013
blink182: my thoughts too but this RIP talk is so much and used by even clergy men.
Clergy men's usage does not prove it's infallibility. These days, RIP could mean Return if Possible wink

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by macklef(m): 3:53am On Jul 27, 2013
blink182: my thoughts too but this RIP talk is so much and used by even clergy men.

d truth is dis RIP usage is misused by clergymen.. dey use it in d layman context.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 27, 2013
Infomizer:
Clergy men's usage does not prove it's infallibility. These days, RIP could mean Return if Possible wink
lol
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 27, 2013
macklef:

d truth is dis RIP usage is misused by clergymen.. dey use it in d layman context.
but is the layman thinking not the hope of having the dead actually rest in peace?
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 27, 2013
how would we know, dear? undecided

1 Like

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 28, 2013
*Kails*:
how would we know, dear? undecided
you can't speak for others but yourself. What are your views, do you indulge in the practise, if so what thoughts prompt you to do so?
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by sanklose: 10:24am On Jul 28, 2013
xtains dont believe so ..but islam religion believe it so well and they takes it soo inevitable...
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 28, 2013
The deads are dead and gone forever,so i don't think the prayer works for them

1 Like

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Immatex(m): 10:39am On Jul 28, 2013
What is baptism for the dead?
In writing about the heavenly resurrection, the apostle Paul penned a most intriguing passage. In the King James Version, we read: “Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?” And The New Jerusalem Bible renders this passage: “What are people up to who have themselves baptised on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, what is the point of being baptised on their behalf?”—1 Corinthians 15:29.
Was Paul here suggesting that living people be baptized on behalf of those who died in an unbaptized state? So it might seem from these and some other Bible translations. However, a closer examination of both the Scriptures and the original Greek used by Paul suggests another conclusion. Paul meant that anointed Christians are baptized, or immersed, into a course of life that will lead to a death of integrity like that of Christ. Afterward, they would be raised to spirit life as he was.
The Scriptures support this explanation. In his letter to the Romans, Paul wrote: “Do you not know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?” (Romans 6:3) In his letter to the Philippians, Paul spoke of himself, saying: “Sharing in [Christ’s] sufferings, submitting myself to a death like his, to see if I may by any means attain to the earlier resurrection from the dead.” (Philippians 3:10, 11) Paul was pointing out that the life of an anointed follower of Christ involves a course of integrity-keeping under test, a daily facing of death, and finally a death of integrity, followed by the heavenly resurrection.
It is noteworthy that these and other scriptures that directly mention death in connection with baptized ones refer to living individuals who had been baptized and not to those who had died. Paul also told fellow anointed Christians: “You were buried with him in his baptism, and by relationship with him you were also raised up together through your faith in the operation of God, who raised him up from the dead.”—Colossians 2:12.
The Greek preposition hy·per′, translated “for” or “on behalf of” in various Bible versions at 1 Corinthians 15:29, can also mean “for the purpose of.” In harmony with other Bible texts, the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures therefore correctly renders this verse: “What will they do who are being baptized for the purpose of being dead ones? If the dead are not to be raised up at all, why are they also being baptized for the purpose of being such?”

8 Likes

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by UjSizzle(f): 10:40am On Jul 28, 2013
Personally i don't believe it does. Try praying for them while they're still alive.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by ajasa4link: 10:40am On Jul 28, 2013
once a person is dead,that is the end. No amount of RIP can make him rest in peace if his works on earth before death are not just and right before the lord. This is the reason why it's good to practise the principles in Pascal's wager
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 10:40am On Jul 28, 2013
It works. The dead are ethereal beings and prayer is energy incantation so its within similar wave frequency.

2 Likes

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 28, 2013
Don't care whether it is wrong or right, surely will be grateful wherever I am if
I hear people praying that I should rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by purpinkx(m): 10:46am On Jul 28, 2013
The dead are conscious of nothing .

3 Likes

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 28, 2013
IMO I see Praying for the dead as just wishful thinking
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by ajasa4link: 10:47am On Jul 28, 2013
Billyonaire: It works. The dead are ethereal beings and prayer is energy incantation so its within similar wave frequency.
Abeg expatiate more sir....
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by PHIPEX(m): 10:49am On Jul 28, 2013
chukwudi44: Yes it works for those who died in sin that does not lead to spiritual death.1john 5:17.

The Bible is just too deep, I must confess that I've never taken note of this verse in the Bible and my Bible commentary regards it as one of the most controversial verse in the New Testament.

@OP, I care less if it works or not but since I know there is no repentance in the grave I'll rather pray for myself while am alive than depend on RIP prayers of well wishers at death.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by olamisegbe(m): 10:50am On Jul 28, 2013
Aboti work ni...evry1 with his/her judgement after dr shrt stay on EARTH.
RIP: return if possible ..doorrh
RIP: rest in peace for those who died in CHRIST.
RIP: Remain in PAIN..for those who died in Sin.
I remember a man who go killed by a car after he got drunk to Point of no return nd d Pastor said he cnt conduct burial ceremony for him cos he died drunk..he said his RIP is to remain in pain
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 28, 2013

You lack understanding of the scriptures ά̲̣̥πϑ ƔŮя bound Fǿя̩̥̊ hell
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Immatex(m): 10:56am On Jul 28, 2013
Now considering your question directly, please note that communication with the dead is expressly condemned by God in Holy word of truth-The Bible. Read for your from your copy of the Bible at Lev. 19:31; Deut. 18:10-12; Isa. 8:19
The Bible is not silent concerning the condition of the dead, find this verses of the scripture in your copy of the Bible so as not to be deceived: Eccl. 9:5: “The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all.”
Ps. 146:4: “His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground; in that day his thoughts [“thoughts,” KJ, 145:4 in Dy; “all his thinking,” NE; “plans,” RS, NAB] do perish.”
John 11:11-14: “‘Lazarus our friend has gone to rest, but I am journeying there to awaken him from sleep.’ . . . Jesus said to them outspokenly: ‘Lazarus has died.’” (Also Psalm 13:3)
Feel free to ask more questions so you can enjoy the privilege Jesus spoke of at Matt.7:7

1 Like

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Zonacom(m): 10:59am On Jul 28, 2013
As a catholic(sorry i have to mention the church thing here), i believe in the effects of prayer for the dead.
*Their is no repentance in the grave(FACT).
*Purgatory(if it exists in the after life), suggests that RIP(well said) might be effective.
*God is the ultimate judge, we cant be so sure.
*ANYBODY HOPING TO GO TO PURGATORY FIRST, EXPRESSLESSLY LANDS IN HELL.
*As i was taught(and as i believe), souls who pass through purgatory to heaven are saints who should have made it to heaven, but have to be purged cos of one little fault or the other. This in essense suggests that sinners dont pass through purgatory.
*LASTLY, ALL I HAVE TYPED, IS MY FAITH AS A CATHOLIC, I'M ENTITLED TO IT.

10 Likes

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Zonacom(m): 11:02am On Jul 28, 2013
uj_sizzle: Personally i don't believe it does. Try praying for them while they're still alive.
Who are the ''them'' ? Are some people excluded?
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by cosify: 11:05am On Jul 28, 2013
My Holy Catholic Church urges it's faithful to pray for d dead. Apart from dat,it sets aside a day in d Church's calendar for d ''Feast of all Souls'' on which church members pray for their dead relatives and friends and for souls in purgatory.Although some dead people do not need d cleansing of purgatory to go to heaven,some need it.Since it is difficult to know who needs it or not, d prayers become important, eventhough d concept of purgatory is a controversial construct in Christianity.But d fact is: If we really love our departed one who may be, has lived an exemplary life and impacted us positively, then praying for them is a duty we owe them. If more and more people want their peaceful repose,whether by vocal prayer or silent meditation, God may just grant d wishes of His people.

3 Likes

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by free2ryhme: 11:14am On Jul 28, 2013
blink182: The moment a person dies, all I keep hearing is 'RIP'. I know it is written 'after death comes judgement'. Now is it possible that the prayers of people on earth can influence the divine judgement they deserve?

this is a paganist practice that was brought into christianity.

but for those who know and understand the bible

We will all face death someday. As Christians we will die with the faith and hope of heaven. What does the Bible say about death? Here are 10 Bible verses about death:

#1 Bible verse about death- A saints death is precious to God

Psalm 116:15 NIV
Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints

#2 Bible verse about death- Unbelievers Fear Death

Proverbs 10:24 NIV
What the wicked dreads will overtake him; what the righteous desire will be granted.

#3 Bible verse about death- Faith in Jesus overcomes death

1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 NIV
Brothers, we do not want you to be ingorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him

#4 Bible verse about death- Rewards after Death

Daniel 12:13 NIV
As for you, go your way till the end. You will rest, and then at the end of the days you will rise to receive your alloted inheritance

#5 Bible verse about death- Be cautious that you are not spiritually dead

Revelation 3:1-2 NIV
To the angel of the church in Sardis write:
These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds, you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen waht remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God

#6 Bible verse about death- What to be afraid of?

Matthew 10:28 NIV
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Does the Bible say what the Devil Looks Like

#7 Bible verse about death- How to die?

Acts 7:59-60 NIV
While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed " Lord Jesus, receive my spirit" Then he fell on his knees and cried out " Lord, do not hold this sin agains them" When he had said this, he fell asleep.

#8 Bible verse about death- Courage in death

Philippians 2:20 NIV
I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.

#9 Bible verse about death- Why did Jesus die

Matthew 20:28 NIV
just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many

#10 Bible verse about death- Live each day for Christ

Job 14:5 NIV
Man's days are determined; you have decreed the number of his months and have set limits he cannot exceed

There are several Bible verses about death. As a Christian we are to live each day for Christ and remember we were made for heaven. I hope these verses help to inspire you to live today differently.

http://voices.yahoo.com/10-bible-verses-death-3683354.html?cat=34

2 Likes

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Tos87(m): 11:20am On Jul 28, 2013
Ї strongly believe in praying for ЂΞ dead...but wish Ї can ellaborate. sad sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) / Gospel Songs U Cannot Just Stop Listening To / Is It A Sin For Someone To Go To His Or Her Place Of Work On Sundays?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.