Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,772 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid (23105 Views)

10 Bad Money Habits To Avoid In This Second Half Of The Year. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by dagr8(m): 8:58am On Jul 27, 2013
There are a few wrong way of thinking about investment which result in why individual investors often fail miserably. It is good we know them and avoid being one of such investors.

Here are six common fallacies about investment:

1. 'I am too young to plan for retirement'

Have you started planning for your retirement? You may be thinking: "Who, me? I am just 20 why should I be thinking about retirement". It is not so. Rethink. You should have rather started thinking about it yesterday, because time flies quickly.

If you were smart and planned for retirement while you were young, your retirement years will be really those 'golden years'. If not, you will need to compromise and work for a longer period of time, retiring later compared to others.

2. Stock markets can yield quick money

This is a another fallacy. Stock markets reward long-term investors. In stock markets, money is transferred from investors who are fearful and greedy to the investors who are balanced and rational. This is the simple truth.

You need to be calm, patient, disciplined and rational. You don't have to be smarter but more disciplined than the rest.

3. Fixed Deposits(FDs) and Treasury bills(TBs) are the safest and best

There is nothing wrong in investing in fixed deposit (FD) or Treasury Bill (TB) . FDs are really safe and give us fixed returns. But this does not mean that investing all your money in FDs is a good idea. FD will hardly beat inflation at the long run. And if your investments are not beating the rate of inflation, your money is losing its purchasing power. TBs and FDs are safe but not always the best option.

4. I can never be as good as Warren Buffet so why try?

lol...says who? In the words of Warren Buffet: "Success in investing doesn't correlate with IQ once you're above the level of 125. Once you have ordinary intelligence, what you need is the temperament to control the urges that get other people into trouble in investing." You don't need a super brain for making investment decisions. You only need common sense and discipline. If you don't have enough time and expertise, you can get assistance from professionals.

Also, investors often spend a lot of their time in trying to figure out when the market is very low or high, to be able to time the purchase and sale of investments accordingly.

In other words, investors want to exit when the market has reached its top and enter when the market has just reached a bottom. This is not a practical idea because there are so many factors that influence the markets. Predicting all the factors and making investments is practically not possible. Instead,stay invested for a long term.

5. There is no such thing as too much diversification

Diversification is needed but don't over diversify. Having more than 20 stocks or investments can dilute your returns. The reason behind this is you are not only investing in best stocks or the best of investments but also in average and above-average ones. Therefore, your returns are likely to come down. You need to rather concentrate on fewer investments. It is possible to achieve the required diversification with a few but solid investments.Andrew Carnegie said:"The wise man puts all his eggs in one basket and watches the basket".

6. The best way to make money is investing in what is hot

If you are investing in what is hot then you are following the crowd. And if you follow the crowd, you will get what others are getting, and not anything more. You need to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful. Don't go by the market trend or the hot pick of the month. Instead, think like a "contrarian" and follow value investing.

You will be an assured successful investor if you could avoid these investment fallacies.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 27, 2013
as far as i am concern u have not spoken anytin, i prefer u telling us what 2 do , rather than telling us wat not 2 do.

Not doing d wrong tin doesn't mean u av done d right tin.

if u re tellin us not 2 eat garri , i tink u should also tell us wat 2 eat, else we die of hunger.

61 Likes

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 27, 2013
Great write-up.

1 Like

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jul 27, 2013
You don't invest what you don't have.
What a good way to end my week: 3-2-C!!! This is a good sign my Sunday would be great!

1 Like

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by linuses: 7:40pm On Jul 27, 2013
Nice post. I just wish most people will see reason with this
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by kkash: 7:42pm On Jul 27, 2013
I made 1st page
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by BrosG: 7:44pm On Jul 27, 2013
Thanks. What's so special in being first to comment sef
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by chaloner(m): 7:44pm On Jul 27, 2013
Talking abt money u re talking abt investment..........wrapping my ............
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by PatAkpos: 7:45pm On Jul 27, 2013
Nice write up. I made 1st page today...... Yay!!
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jul 27, 2013
Nice post
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by samuel900(m): 7:45pm On Jul 27, 2013
Tanx 4 d info
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by DEGREE2466(m): 7:48pm On Jul 27, 2013
Until we get there! For now ASUU issue na the matter arising. Eniway u try sha
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by izeek(m): 7:50pm On Jul 27, 2013
ighoosagie: as far as i am concern u have not spoken anytin, i prefer u telling us what 2 do , rather than telling us wat not 2 do.

if u re tellin us not 2 eat garri , i tink u should also tell us wat 2 eat, else we die of hunger.

I would think that wen u know wat not to do, then what to do certainly becomes clearer.....wat u just said, is short of being spoon fed.

9 Likes

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Tjesctacy(m): 7:52pm On Jul 27, 2013
Nice stuff!
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jul 27, 2013
izeek:

I would think that wen u know wat not to do, then what to do certainly becomes clearer.....wat u just said, is short of being spoon fed.
[size=14pt]its just lik tellin a child dat he shouldn't buy anytin frm mama okoro shop, but u also failed 2 tell him where 2 buy frm[/size]

2 Likes

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by pendusky(m): 7:55pm On Jul 27, 2013
so people like me that hav pension money paid from my salary, do i still need another investment? i rep #team26-30
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 27, 2013
ighoosagie: d

Are you ok?
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 27, 2013
Never u invest all your money or money u can't afford to lose into what u have no idea of or experience

3 Likes

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by OCTAVO: 7:58pm On Jul 27, 2013
Ok.
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Afolayinka(f): 7:59pm On Jul 27, 2013
Nice 1
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jul 27, 2013
Wen its tym, i wil com bak 2 ur post. right now ASUU is delayin me.

1 Like

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by izeek(m): 8:00pm On Jul 27, 2013
pendusky: so people like me that hav pension money paid from my salary, do i still need another investment? i rep #team26-30

Pension money is only but one sure way to secure you future. If you can set aside some amount of ur income as investment, fhat wouod not affect immediate family life or plans, yes go ahead and have an alternative. Afterall wat use is spending all now and seeking help or wallowing.in regrets latter.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by plainmirror(m): 8:01pm On Jul 27, 2013
ighoosagie: as far as i am concern u have not spoken anytin, i prefer u telling us what 2 do , rather than telling us wat not 2 do.

Must everything be spelt 4 Ʊ?
Can't Ʊ read inbetween †нэ lines?

2 Likes

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 27, 2013
ighoosagie: its just lik tellin a child dat he shouldn't buy anytin frm mama okoro shop, but u also fail 2 tell him where 2 buy frm

Are you a child? If yes then the write up is not for you. If you can't figure it out with what not to do, you will get more confused with what to do!

2 Likes

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 27, 2013
T-Wallpapers:

Are you a child? If yes then the write up is not for you. If you can't figure it out with what not to do, you will get more confused with what to do!
i tink u re d child here, frm all indications ,dis stuffs listed above re what invogue. with my statistics of all d world richest they re all involved in all dis form of investment, in as much as dey also av their day 2 day businesses.

i wud rather risk for sometin dan to wait 4 notin

2 Likes

Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Olajumokeibk(f): 8:15pm On Jul 27, 2013
Thanks
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 27, 2013
exxell:

Am still trying to understand this post
i tin excess garri without cowbell has blocked ur brain
Re: 6 Investment Fallacies You Need To Avoid by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 27, 2013
1. 'I am too young to plan for retirement'
Why should i plan for early retirement when stats prove that those who retire early die early?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Calculate Shares / Elon Musk Snaps Up $3bn Twitter Stake, Becomes Twitter's Largest Shareholder / Why Young People Should Invest In Shares

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.