Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

Anambra, The Soludo Solution (2010) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra, The Soludo Solution (2010) (665 Views)

Eagle Farms And Cattle Ranch In Anambra: The Easiest Way To Stop Fulani Herdsmen / ANAMBRA; The LIGHT Of The Nation / He Confesses That The Soludo Reforms “created Nigerian Giants (SAP to soludoism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra, The Soludo Solution (2010) by nwabobo: 7:51am On Jul 30, 2013
CHUKWUMA CHARLES SOLUDO, CFR

CONTENTS

PART ONE:
Here I Am, Send Me! My Background and Decision to Contest

PART TWO:
The Agenda: My Vision and Programmes for Anambra

PART ONE: Here I Am, Send Me! My Background and Decision to Contest

I believe that God has a purpose and a plan for everyone. From my very humble beginnings, it is only through the grace of God that I could have earned a Distinction grade at the secondary school; a B.Sc (First Class Honours) (Economics); an M.Sc. and a Ph.D (Economics) winning Departmental, Faculty and University awards as best graduating student at the University of Nigeria. I had cumulative four years of post-doctoral training and research in some of the world’s best institutions including the Brookings Institution, Washington, DC; University of Oxford, UK; University of Warwick, UK; Cambridge University as Smuts scholar; UN Economic Commission for Africa; the IMF Research Department, etc. I am a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Bankers (FCIB); Fellow of the Nigerian Economic Society (FNES), and awarded Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) (Honoris Causa) from three Universities.  

I was visiting Associate Professor at Swarthmore College, USA, and promoted Professor of Economics at the age of 38 (University of Nigeria, Nsukka). I lived and worked in Ethiopia, U.K., and the USA and travelled to 45 other countries before joining Government in 2003. As consultant to 18 international organizations (including the World Bank, IMF, OECD Paris, European Union, African Union, USAID, UK-DFID, ADB, IBM Consulting, USA; IDRC Canada; Chemonics International, USA;  United Nations, UNIDO, ECOWAS, COMESA, CODESRIA, UNCTAD; AERC Nairobi) I garnered wide ranging experiences and knowledge. I was also the founding Executive Director of the African Institute for Applied Economics, Enugu. I have to my credit over 80 scholarly publications, 15 books, and over 250 monographs, conference papers and public lectures.

At the Federal Government (2003 – 2009), I held five substantive positions: Chief Economic Adviser to the President; Deputy Chairman/Chief Executive of the National Planning Commission (of ministerial rank by law); Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria; Chairman, Nigeria Security Printing and Minting Company (NSPM), Plc; Founder and Chairman, Africa Finance Corporation (AFC), as well as membership of more than 25 technical/policy committees. These assignments saw us draft the Government’s reform agenda (National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy, NEEDS); massively restructured nonperforming government institutions; rebuilt the CBN and NSPM; revolutionalized the Nigerian banking/financial system; set up a new international financial institution, AFC, and helped to steer the Nigerian economy away from the global financial crisis. For these accomplishments, I have been decorated with scores of awards, including being awarded the African and Global Central Bank Governor of the year, 2006 by the Banker (Financial Times) and the Financial Times of London has described me as “a great reformer”. The Federal Government has conferred the third highest national honour (Commander of the Federal Republic, CFR) on me in 2006--- in recognition of accomplished performance.

Recently, I have served as a member of the United Nations Commission of Experts on the Global Economic and Financial Crisis. Also, I have served as a member of the International Advisory Group for the UK- DFID, and still member of the 7- man Chief Economist Advisory Council of the World Bank.  Immediately after completing my tenure of office as Governor of the Central Bank, I have accepted three international offers.

I served the Federal Government of Nigeria under two Presidents and below are excerpts of what each had to say about my services to Nigeria:

“Charles Soludo is a true Nigerian. He is the sort of Nigerian that we all know we can rely on. Among his numerous virtues is COURAGE. I have found in him a man who can take tough and realistic decisions, stand his ground, educate others on the salience of his decision, and work very hard to ensure that the decision is efficiently and effectively implemented. His dedication to duty is first rate. His leadership qualities are admirable and his willingness to listen and learn is simply infectious.
Professor Soludo has within a short time emerged as one of the leading lights of our nation. Not because he has a godfather but by sheer hard work, loyalty, dedication to duty, commitment to the nation, creativity, and undiluted association with the reform agenda....”. Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, GCFR (December, 2004)

President Yar’Adua had the following the say about the CBN under my leadership:

“… the CBN has performed creditably well in delivering on its core mandates. This is especially even more so in the last five years. Most people would agree that without the successful banking consolidation and effective management of our foreign reserves, the current global crisis would have shaken the financial system and our national economy to their foundations with calamitous consequences”; President Yar’Adua (May 2009).

In the President’s letter of commendation after completion of my tenure of office, the President had the following to say:

“As your tenure as Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria comes to a glorious end, I write on behalf of the Government and people of Nigeria to place on record our debt of gratitude to you for your dedicated service and uncommon sense of duty over the past five years. I am confident that your worthy antecedents in the CBN and in prior appointments in the service of our nation remain sources of inspiration to an entire generation. As I wish you even more astounding successes in the years ahead, it is my fervent hope that you will readily avail us of your distinguished service when the need arises in the future” (June 2009).

With the above credentials and at 49, I am faced with two choices: to work for myself or to deploy the skills to serve my people.

In 2000 when a prominent American wondered why I was eager to go back to Nigeria instead of settling down to work in the USA, my response was that, if God in His infinite wisdom decided to make me an African/Nigerian, there must be a purpose. That purpose, in my view, could not be fulfilled by living a comfortable life in the United States. I believe that on the judgment day, God will ask how I used the talents and gifts He bestowed upon me to serve Him by leaving society better than I met it. It is not an accident that God decided that I should come from Anambra State/Nigeria.

I volunteer to serve against all that is personally convenient. My family has been evacuated abroad against their will because of the risks arising from my decision to change society. What is personally convenient is to settle abroad as well, take up a few of the international jobs being offered to me and circulate conveniently within the international community, private sector, and academia abroad. But that will only make me happier and safer as a person. This option may continue to leave my people poorer and underdeveloped.

For two and a half years, I have battled with the conflict between what is personally convenient and what may be socially desirable. I have considered the numerous calls for me to assist in salvaging Anambra state. I have weighed the personal risks--- risks of being damaged and ‘rubbished’ by the inelegant characters who have taken over the terrain, risks to personal life, risks to my reputation, as the desperate people will do everything to throw mud.

I have finally reconciled the risks and sacrifice required by focusing on the service that is possible; a service that can change the fortune of a people and give hope to present and future generations. I asked myself a pertinent question: ‘what are you living for?’ Some people tell me that being Governor of Anambra State will not add to my reputation (rather it can actually subtract from it), and as former Governor of the CBN and Chairman of the Mint, no one should be in doubt about my proven integrity in handling public sector resources and hence that Anambra’s money is safe with me. In a sense, I am volunteering to pay to serve! I consider it a divine call to serve--- to deploy the entire God given talents and gifts, experiences and skills He has exposed me --- to rescue my people. Anambra State and Nigeria have made enormous investment in me, and I believe this is the time to pay back through selfless service.

I believe that only the best is good enough for Anambra State.  Politics remains the major platform for changing society. As I argued elsewhere, there can be no sustainable wealth creation without sustained interest in politics. Given our state of underdevelopment, I believe that elite indifference to politics is a crime against humanity. Politics and governance are too serious and too important to be left to street urchins. If those who have what it takes to make the society better refuse to stand up to be counted on the excuse that they are too big or too clean to be ‘rubbished’ in the murky waters of politics, they must forever be contented with the consequences of mediocrity and misrule. Anambra must begin to field its first eleven!

Anambra people (home and abroad) are estimated to be about 8.5 million, and the state has everything to be the second richest state in Nigeria after Lagos state. On the contrary, Anambra is largely desolate, with the population moving in droves across to Asaba, and others in huge exodus to other states and abroad. Today, Anambra has turned into one large village, with more than 90 percent of its potentials lying dormant. More than 50 percent of Anambra’s population lives outside of the state, and with the largest concentration of Nigeria’s entrepreneurs. For many obvious and inexplicable reasons, Anambra cannot seem to get its act together. Like the children of Israel in Egypt, Anambra needs liberation, and needs to begin the journey to the Promised Land. For the sake of our children and future generations, Anambra must sing a new song.

Whether I will be the Moses or Joshua is immaterial to me. The important thing is that we must begin the journey, and someone must sacrifice to lead the way. In the end, if we fail, I will still be a much fulfilled person. I can then sleep in good conscience and satisfaction that I did not abdicate responsibility or refuse a call to serve my people. I will not feel guilty for failing to volunteer my services. I will then happily and boldly tell my Creator on the last day that I tried my best to make the society better than I met it!

So, to my God and the good people of Anambra State, I say: “Here I am, send me”!

http://www.soludo.org/rss/manifesto.html
Re: Anambra, The Soludo Solution (2010) by nwabobo: 7:53am On Jul 30, 2013
A New Governance Model

The Goal is to mainstream ‘servant leadership’ and to bring back the time-tested models of governance in Igboland anchored on popular participation, accountability, community development, and values based upon hard work, integrity and private enterprise.

“Ohazulume” leadership—mass participation 

Open Government and New accountability standards

Local Government Elections as soon as possible in 2010. The last Local Government elections in Anambra were conducted in 1998. This is unacceptable. Effective and accountable local government administration will be central to my administration’s service delivery to the poor and communities.

Active participation of traditional rulers and council of elders in state governance

A new framework for Local Government – Community partnerships in service delivery. Every town union will be required to prepare annual budgets and Government will provide matching grants to fund part of the town’s budget to execute major development projects/social services and ensure security). Government presence must be felt in every community and town unions will play active roles in governance and service delivery.
  Community Development Centres and cooperatives

A Standing High level Commission on Community Peace and Harmony (made up of the clergy, traditional rulers, elder statesmen, civil society, distinguished women, judges, and Government officials) for speedy resolution of intra and inter community crisis. In particular, the Commission will be given two years to resolve the crises leading to the emergence of new autonomous communities and where possible, reconcile the warring groups, and also advise Government on how to prevent the occurrence of such crisis in the future.

Value reorientation: mainstreaming of values of honesty, integrity, and hardwork (with new citizenship civics/ethics).

Effective Representation of Women in all Government appointments and activities. Our administration shall strive to meet the 30 percent minimum representation of women as recommended by the Beijing Declaration. The hand that cradles the child rules the world. Our women have held the fort so far and need to be recognized and encouraged to maximize their potentials and contributions to society.
Considerations of Need, Fairness, and Equity in the Distribution of Government Appointments and infrastructural development across the state. We believe in one Anambra State but also recognize the diversities in terms of need. Our Government will display a sense of balance and fairness in the distribution of government programmes and projects.
Effective consultations of major stakeholder groups in policymaking (such as the churches, Moslem community, town unions, market associations, civil society organizations, transport unions, and labour unions) especially on issues that affect them.

Security of Life and Property

The Goal is to effectively address the menace of armed crimes and kidnapping. Without this, sustainable investment and development cannot take place.

Creation of job opportunities for the youth
New models of community policing
Adequate equipment for the police and security agencies
Informal policing schemes and intelligence network

Urban Renewal Programmes

62 percent of Anambra population live in urban areas, and because of the urban decay and massive slums, the value of the landed properties in these cities have depreciated greatly. Over 50,000 houses in Onitsha have their market value at less than 20% of their book value. Thus, they cannot translate their assets as collaterals for bank loans. Consequently, Anambra borrows barely 20% of what it saves in the banks.  By quadrupling the market value of the landed properties in our cities, we would unleash a growth engine. Furthermore, we need to stem the exodus from Onitsha to Asaba, and create conducive environment for investors.

In the first phase, focus on Onitsha mega city; Awka; Nnewi; and Ekwulobia urban. In the next phase, focus on Otuocha, and Ihiala.

Development and implementation of master plans
Massive urban road rehabilitation
Public parks and recreational grounds
Water and sewage systems
Urban mass transit systems
New Face of Markets (recreation centres, schools, parking facilities)
Sanitation and environmental beautification (Anambra must wear a new look!)
Work with the manufacturers in Onitsha and Nnewi industrial clusters to remove the bottlenecks to their ability to compete and create more jobs.
Re: Anambra, The Soludo Solution (2010) by nwabobo: 7:54am On Jul 30, 2013
New Awka Capital City and GRA

The current state of Awka is unbefitting as the capital of Anambra State. The Goal is to strive to rescue the existing town by implementing a masterplan, while gradually developing a new, planned capital city.

Greenfield development of new, planned Awka City
Development of recreational centres

New Anambra City (African Dubai - Taiwan)

(The first model, international city in Nigeria after Abuja)

Sir Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu International Airport (a public-private partnership with Anambra Airline taking Anambra to the world, and bringing the world to Anambra)
Anambra Shopping World (biggest shopping mall in Africa)
Anambra Wonder Gardens (tourism and entertainment)
The Nollywood Studios
Emeagwali Information Communication Technology (ICT) Village.
Industrial layout for 3,000 Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to create at least 300,000 jobs (with electricity initially provided by the state Government) and ultimately linked to the electricity grid.
Independent Power Plant for Anambra State in partnership with the private sector
New City layout: residence; schools, entertainment, etc

Human and Youth Development

The Goal is to invest in the people as the essence of development, and the children and youths as the bridge to the future.

Education (centres of excellence; construction of new classroom blocks and refurbishment of existing schools employing public-private partnership approaches in community primary and secondary schools; promotion of world class private schools; restructure and strengthen the State University and higher institutions)

Our teachers deserve special attention as our future depends on their effectiveness. Continuous training schemes for teachers; rewarding teachers for excellence.

Health
Building and equipping at least 2 international hospitals (in partnership with Anambra in the Diaspora)
Equipment and upgrading of existing hospitals and health centres
Innovative primary health care delivery system
Enforcement of health care delivery standards
Youth Employment and Empowerment
Recreational Centres and mainstreaming of competitive sporting
Mass employment schemes (public works schemes)
Entrepreneurship Training Centres in all Local Governments
Support Agency for Advisory Services to Young Entrepreneurs
Micro credit schemes for new business start-ups for youth self-employment
Creation of  at least 200,000 new job opportunities for the youths

Erosion Control

Erosion is a fundamental threat to the sustainability of the Anambra environment. There are about 500 erosion sites in Anambra State. Several villages have been wiped away and many more are at risk. We shall work actively with the Federal Government in the development and implementation of proactive measures to control erosion in Anambra State.

Agriculture and poverty reduction

Massive large scale agricultural transformation (promotion of large scale agricultural farms to employ thousands of workers directly and create tens of thousands of jobs indirectly).
Agricultural credit support schemes to farmers as well as provision of farm tools, fertilizers, and improved seedlings.

Public Sector Reforms

Our goal is to make Government work effectively and efficiently for the people.

Establishment of Anambra State Statistical Agency (ASSA) to provide continuous robust and timely statistics for Government and private sector plans and actions. In the past, our governments have planned without facts or simply groped in the dark. As at today, no one knows for sure the size of Anambra’s economy; the rate or level of unemployment; the level of poverty; school performance; health status and life expectancy; etc. How do we know if we are making progress without reliable data on these variables? As the saying goes, if you cannot measure it, you cannot control it.

Welfare of the Workers: our Government will dialogue with the workers and come up with an effective public sector reform that ensures productivity, professionalism, goal-orientation, effectiveness, efficiency, skill development, and enhanced welfare.

Procurement reforms to ensure greater transparency

Fiscal Responsibility and Medium-Term public expenditure management

Public works programme (Anambra rapid response team for road repairs and infrastructure rehabilitation)

Computerization and modernization of government recording system

Mainstream public-private partnership in public service delivery (sanitation, education, health, infrastructure)

Reforms and strengthening of Board of Internal Revenue and enhancing the internal revenue generation capacity of the State.

Our Government will subscribe to a public service delivery charter. The public is entitled to know the level of efficiency expected of our government. For example:

72 Hours for transfer of land title (to process Certificate of Occupancy on land)
Applications to Government to be answered within 72 hours
Mechanisms for receiving feedback on how well government works from the citizens such as public complaints box; town hall meetings; phone-in programmes; etc.
Conclusion:

Finally, to the people of Anambra, I promise that a new PDP in the State is on the way: a new PDP that is inclusive, that allows for internal democracy, that is exemplary in terms of leadership, a PDP that is focused and people-oriented. Our Chapter of the PDP will demonstrate that it is a party that truly believes that power belongs to the people. Under our administration, PDP will truly be a mass movement for the liberation of the people: it is “New PDP, New Anambra State”!

I invite you to join the train. In a time of crisis (such as Anambra suffers from a crisis of underdevelopment), there is no such a thing as neutrality or sitting on the fence: you are either for the people or against them. I urge you to stand up to be counted. To those who equivocate or are still undecided I ask: “If not you, who?; if not now, when?”

God bless Anambra State!
Re: Anambra, The Soludo Solution (2010) by Kingsley1000(m): 8:13am On Jul 30, 2013
SOLUDO ALL D WAY COME 2014,,if u are not part of d solution den u're d problem...Ngige u're nt doing anytin...DWARF MAN WID DWARF VISION.

CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU IN AWKA GOVT HOUSE...ANAMBRA ADIBAGO MNA,NYE AKA KA ODI MNA
Re: Anambra, The Soludo Solution (2010) by Onlytruth(m): 10:01am On Jul 30, 2013
Kingsley1000: SOLUDO ALL D WAY COME 2014,,if u are not part of d solution den u're d problem...Ngige u're nt doing anytin...DWARF MAN WID DWARF VISION.

CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU IN AWKA GOVT HOUSE...ANAMBRA ADIBAGO MNA,NYE AKA KA ODI MNA

LOL @ "dwarf man with dwarf vision". hehehe! cheesy cheesy grin

Our people sef.

Onwa this Soludo tower will be too high for you to climb.

(1) (Reply)

2015: It’s Either Jonathan, Or An Igboman –Ezeife / Soludo Spotted With Atiku, But Claim He’s Still In APGA / Breaking News: President Jonathan Sacks Nine Ministers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.