Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:42 PM

10 REALLY Annoying Things Parents Say To Teens - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 REALLY Annoying Things Parents Say To Teens (3304 Views)

Things Parents Should Never Say Around Kids / Things Parents Use To Scare Their Children! / Funny Things Parents' Do That Makes You Chuckle! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 REALLY Annoying Things Parents Say To Teens by passnownow: 5:19pm On Jul 30, 2013
I guess it comes with the territory, but every adult in the world seems to think they have secret knowledge that will crack the youth. They attribute their expertise on the subject of teenagers to an accumulation of years and experiences.

Apparently, the magic of time has given them a complete and all-knowing understanding of how we should feel, think and behave during all hours of the day. However, all beliefs should be challenged -- and I for one enjoy setting my parents straight.

Here are 10 things that make me cringe with exasperation. I know you can relate.

1. "Listen to your parents. They're always right."
Wrong. There is only one Yoda. Everyone else in the universe is bound to be wrong sometimes. I know it might surprise you to hear this, but we teenagers aren't always angst, impulsive and inexperienced. Give us a chance.

2. "This should be the best time in your life. Enjoy it."
You're saying my life has peaked at 17? Excuse me if I refuse to believe that. I will enjoy all the world has to offer on my own terms, thank you very much. Otherwise I might become a teenage runaway. Which would you prefer?

3. "Wait 'till you get to the real world."
Where have I been living my entire life... Narnia? Sure, I may not be working year-round in an office, but passing exams isn't exactly a cup of tea. My life is real enough: a package deal that's all-inclusive with drama, responsibility and obligations. Don't belittle me.

4. "Come home now."
Not going to lie, I might know where you're coming from with this one. You care about my well- being, which is sweet and all... but that doesn't make curfew any more enjoyable. Half an hour more couldn't hurt.

5. "You're a teenager. This is just a phase."
How can you possibly predict the future? I am currently in a process of creating an identity that isn't defined by the people around me. This phase just might stick. Even if it doesn't, please let me experience it without constant judgment. (Hint: the more you hate it, the longer it will last.)

6. "Why don't you tell me anything anymore?"
There are two possible reasons for our "lack of communication." Option A: All I've done the last few weeks is watch re-runs of "The O.C." I apologise for not giving you a play-by-play, but there is simply nothing of significance for me to be telling you. Option B: You're nosy and it's annoying. No form of torture will make me spill my secrets.

7. "I was your age once too, you know."
Yes, you are human. I understand the progression of time. But just because you were a teenager once doesn't mean you can relate to my experiences or how I am currently feeling. Even if you've gone through similar things (in the past), you have been tainted by the knowledge of parenthood. Sorry!

8. "I'm your friend."
Don't get me wrong, I like you and all... but we are not friends. I think that comes with the whole power dynamic of the family. If you give me rules, you're not my friend. If you make me wake up in the morning, you're not my friend. If you make me wash the dishes, we are definitely not friends.

9. "You don't know what's best for you."
And you think you do? Please refer to "Things I Don't Want To Hear," numbers one through eight. I know what I want. I know who I am. Don't set limitations on what I should do or who I should be.

10. "Grow up."
Look here parents, we're growing up whether we like it or not. We love you (ever so dearly) and absolutely appreciate the unconditional support. Sometimes you forget that the mistakes we make are actually the perfect way for us learn right from wrong. It's a process, be patient. https://www.passnownow.com/?p=posts&id=3398
Re: 10 REALLY Annoying Things Parents Say To Teens by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 30, 2013
Re: 10 REALLY Annoying Things Parents Say To Teens by mgbeketoto: 7:17pm On Jul 30, 2013
My father told me once. . . .MEN LIKE THEIR WIVES TO BE VIRGINS. . . .SO KEEP YOUR VIRGINITY TILL YOU ARE MARRIED. grin
Ha! After disvirgining ALL the village maidens and GRANDMAS in ONITSHA where he grew up! grin

He was 3 years too late! cheesy

YEYE DEY BOOM!

1 Like

Re: 10 REALLY Annoying Things Parents Say To Teens by mgbeketoto: 7:20pm On Jul 30, 2013
The most annoying from my mom. . . MAKE UNA DEY PRAY O!
Especially coming from someone like HER!
OGBONGE CATHOLIC HYPOCRITE GRADE A1++++++ WITH HONORS AND DISTINCTION! grin

I just ignore her. . .since I can't INSULT her outright to her face!
She get luck! grin

SHEEEEEEEEEEESH!

"Satan with ROSARY"! Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: 10 REALLY Annoying Things Parents Say To Teens by mgbeketoto: 7:23pm On Jul 30, 2013
From my mom. . .EAT LIKE A LADY! shocked
Meanwhile. . .na she chew chewing-gum like COW pass o! grin
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!! cheesy

My right hand always turns 'RED' with inflamation. . . as in itching to give 'er a BACK HAND SLAP! grin

1 Like

Re: 10 REALLY Annoying Things Parents Say To Teens by mgbeketoto: 7:29pm On Jul 30, 2013
Always comparing me to my cousins. . . .
From my father. . . OLUBUKOLA came first in her class.

My reply : "Papa, soooooooooooo what is my business?. . .WHY DON'T YOU MOVE IN with her so she can be your daughter huh? HER FATHER IS A DOCTOR!" DID YOU SEE BUKOLA POUNDING FUFU IN THE KITCHEN FOR HER FATHER?. . . . . .I HISSED OUT LOUD IN HIS PRESENCE. . . I VEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Ouch. . .I got the TRASHING of my life! See corrrect DECKING for my little IKEBE! I did not sit GOOD for days! cry
I never 'smart-mouthed' him again till I was out of his house. . . AND FROM LONG RANGE!
SHEGAY! grin
Re: 10 REALLY Annoying Things Parents Say To Teens by EfemenaXY: 7:47pm On Jul 30, 2013
1 really annoying thing parents do to teens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0h-HfYxbhQ

1 Like

Re: 10 REALLY Annoying Things Parents Say To Teens by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 30, 2013
We had this family that was just like ours,

all the kids and me and my siblings always had an age mate.

The first daughter and my elder sis wrote waec,

when result show, popsy kept yelling,

'xxxxx child had 5 credits, you had None'

2 years later, it was my brother and Mr XXXs daughter,

same thing happened...... same barking. ..

another 2 years later,

my immediate elder bro .....

same dusting again. ......

when it got to my turn, Mr xxxxx's son dun high on weed grin

couldn't clear one paper while I cleared all mine.

Right now, the guy just dey, the sisters dun use pregnancy follow boy.

We were really good friends way back.

Sometimes we remind my dad that it's not always all about how many credits one bags in waec.
Re: 10 REALLY Annoying Things Parents Say To Teens by tpia5: 10:19pm On Jul 30, 2013
why are most of your posts and threads about teens?

very creepy.

and under what authority did you post this:

https://www.nairaland.com/1376837/10-benefits-reading-why-should

you're fomenting disrespect on one thread, but want to be viewed as someone to be listened to on another?

too many fakers on the internet.

(1) (Reply)

What Is A Henpecked Husband ? / ''help! She Took Our Plasma TV To Church As Seed Offering!'' / Modified....Please I m In Need Of Advice.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.