Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,379 members, 7,800,765 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. (5415 Views)

The Catholic Daily Prayer For Nigeria In Distress / Meditations On The Mysteries Of The Holy Rosary ( Sorrowful & Glorious ) / Meditations On The Mysteries Of The Holy Rosary (joyful And Luminous) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 12:30pm On Jul 31, 2013
It is with joy and gladness I welcome all catholic faithfuls to this complete daily mass reading and meditation for our spiritual growth.The WORD among us and Abide in my WORD is a monthly bible study guide for home and church use.
Publisher: Joseph Difato
Editor:Leo Zanchettin
Imprimatur:Anthony cardinal okogie
Nigeria address: The word among us,12 Razaq balogun street,off adeniran ogunsanya street,surulere.
Email: wauafrica@gmail.com
I will be starting with the august bible study but I will like to encourage meaningful contributions and questions.if you wish to get a copy it is avaliable at the above address..
As the month is ending I pray God to protect us in the coming month.
LORD JESUS,The same yesterday,today and forever.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 10:28am On Aug 01, 2013
Thursday 1st August
Saint Alphonsus Liguori,Bishop and doctor(Memorial)
Todays Rosary: The Mysteries of Light
First reading: Exodus 40:16-21.34-38
Summary:the cloud covered the tent of meeting and the glory of the lord filled the tabernacle
Responsorial psalm: paslm 84
Gospel:Matthew 13:47-53
Meditation of the day
If the cloud did not lift they didn't go forward;only when it lifted did they go forward Exodus 40:37
Wouldn't it be nice to have a foolproof way of knowing whether you were on the righ path? During their trek to the promised land the isrealites had to believe in God to lead the way.The ten commandment housed in a special tent,and they had Gods presence in the form of a cloud covering the tent.they had both the written law of God and the hovering spirit of God to guide them and direct their path.It showed they needed the spirit to help them understand the letter of the law.How true this is for us all! We can't live our lives solely by trying to obey every commandment of God.We need the holy spirit to help us understand Gods word.We need the spirit to lift us up and fill us with grace so that we can follow the Lord with love and passion,not just blind obedience.likewise we need Gods commands to help us discern the promptings of the spirit.Otherwise we risk being blown about by every urge that comes our way.
As we begin this new month,May God guide us with his spirit so that we can obey him and follow the right path and not be misled.

Prayer: Thank you Father for revealing your mind to me through the law,and for giving your spirit to me to guide me in the right path.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by SalC: 11:34am On Aug 01, 2013
Amen
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by okpurukata(f): 2:00pm On Aug 01, 2013
Thank you very much for this
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by italo: 3:34pm On Aug 01, 2013
Amen. And the Holy Spirit leads us indeed. Let us make ourselves docile to his promptings and inspiration. Let us be patient for him to "lift"... and when he "lifts," let us not hesitate to move...move forward with the cross...forward for the cross.
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 3:36pm On Aug 01, 2013
Thank you, I will ensure that all daily readings will be made available here! So watch out for the daily updates, Remain blessed
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 3:38pm On Aug 01, 2013
Contributions are welcomed for the spiritual growth of all the faithfuls
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by MEILYN(m): 4:30pm On Aug 01, 2013
debbie: Contributions are welcomed for the spiritual growth of all the faithfuls
U mean other people who are not Catholics re not faithful Huh?
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by Ubenedictus(m): 5:01pm On Aug 01, 2013
MEILYN:
U mean other people who are not Catholics re not faithful Huh?
DID HE SAY THAT?
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by Syncan(m): 5:24pm On Aug 01, 2013
Amen. May we always pray for the priests, led by the Bishop of Rome, that they be preserved in holiness of life, as expressed in "...Moses and Aaron and his sons washed their hands and their feet there at" vs 31. So that just as Moses recognized and did "...according to all God commanded" vs 16, They may as well be illumined to recognize Gods desire amidst this rapidly changing society of ours, and as well possess the courage to lead the way.
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by italo: 5:42pm On Aug 01, 2013
Amen.
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 10:32am On Aug 02, 2013
Friday 2nd August
Rosary;The sorrowful Mysteries
First Reading: Leviticus 23:1-37
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 81
Gospel Reading: Matthew 13: 54-58
Summary: Is not this the carpenters Son? Where then did this man get all this?"
Meditation of the Day
He did not work many deeds there because of their lack of faith Matthew 13:58
Todays gospel tells us that jesus wasn't able to perform many miracles in his home town because of the peoples weak faith.Mind you,the people stayed stuck in their limited logical thinking even though he was right in front of them,offering them a way out and a way up.
In our journey with the lord we too need to learn to surrender to jesus as our good friend and as the Lord of all creation.This is an important element in the call to faith: to tust that jesus knows what he's doing and to believe that he is strong enough to save you.Yes,faith has to do with knowing and trying our best to follow the commandments and to care for the poor and needy.And yes, it has to do with sharing our belief and standing up for what is right in this world.But at the heart of faith is this call to surrender.Withour this, all the other things are drained of their power.What usually gets you stuck? Fear or panic over the future? Guilt or resentments from the past? A"logical" approach to the present that doesn't leave room for grace or the supernatural?
Whatever it is,know that Jesus is inviting you to something greater.Imagine him standing in front of you,his arms open wide.Hear him tell you "RELAX".I have got you.
Prayer: Lord I believe.Help my unbelief.By your grace enable me to trust and to reach out to you in confidence.AMEN
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by woky: 10:45am On Aug 02, 2013
debbie: Friday 2nd August
Rosary;The sorrowful Mysteries
First Reading: Leviticus 23:1-37
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 81
Gospel Reading: Matthew 13: 54-58
Summary: Is not this the carpenters Son? Where then did this man get all this?"
Meditation of the Day
He did not work many deeds there because of their lack of faith Matthew 13:58
Todays gospel tells us that jesus wasn't able to perform many miracles in his home town because of the peoples weak faith.Mind you,the people stayed stuck in their limited logical thinking even though he was right in front of them,offering them a way out and a way up.
In our journey with the lord we too need to learn to surrender to jesus as our good friend and as the Lord of all creation.This is an important element in the call to faith: to tust that jesus knows what he's doing and to believe that he is strong enough to save you.Yes,faith has to do with knowing and trying our best to follow the commandments and to care for the poor and needy.And yes, it has to do with sharing our belief and standing up for what is right in this world.But at the heart of faith is this call to surrender.Withour this, all the other things are drained of their power.What usually gets you stuck? Fear or panic over the future? Guilt or resentments from the past? A"logical" approach to the present that doesn't leave room for grace or the supernatural?
Whatever it is,know that Jesus is inviting you to something greater.Imagine him standing in front of you,his arms open wide.Hear him tell you "RELAX".I have got you.
Prayer: Lord I believe.Help my unbelief.By your grace enable me to trust and to reach out to you in confidence.AMEN
nyc one.. May God blees u
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by Syncan(m): 10:51am On Aug 02, 2013
Amen. Help my unbelief.
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 11:30am On Aug 03, 2013
Saturday 3rd August
Todays Rosary: The joyful Mysteries
First Reading: Leviticus 25:1-17
Summary: In this year of jubilee each of you shall return to his property
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 67
Gospel Reading: Matthew 14:1-12
Summary: Herod sent and had John beheaded,His disciples went and told Jesus
Meditation of the Day
It shall be a jubilee for you Leviticus 25:11
Here's a simple observation: Joy doesn't exist in a vacuum.it always flows as a response to something else.looking at todays first reading,we can see isreals source of joy.Each jubilee year,God decreed that all Hebrew slaves were to be freed.All farmers and land were to enjoy a season of rest.Can you imagine the joy of so many people celebrating nation-wide freedom,peace and restoration? So what's our source of joy? For us,its the Spirit dwelling within us-the spirit who tells us of our freedom in christ.Think of joy as waves of Gods own pleasure and delight.According to the scriptures,God is incredibly joyful.His waves can lift us up even in the midst of the hardest and most difficult of circumstances we face.its a joy we can tap into whenever we pray,because Jesus has already told us that he wants to fill us with his joy John 15:11.At the same time,joy isn't just a feeling.its also a decision on our part to God to be thankful,to be positive and to keep our focus on the way Gods salvation is unfolding in us.Its a call to stay rooted in the lord and to remain thankful for all he has done in our lives.Its an invitation to celebrate all that he's doing right now.And its a reminder of all that He is going to do in future.
This is encouraging news,because if joy was just a feeling,it might come and go at any moment like the wind.So come and share in your masters joy today. Even though you have not seen him,you can love him.Even though you don't see him now,you do believe in him.
Prayer: Lord Jesus,you came to anoint me with the oil of joy.Let it flow into every part of my life! AMEN
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 11:35am On Aug 03, 2013
Today let's pray for the pope, bishops,priests and all who have dedicated their lives to the service of God and humanity,that they will experience this joy and keep faith.
May each and everyone of us experience this unspeakable Joy through our lord jesus christ who lives and reigns forever.Amen
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by Syncan(m): 3:52pm On Aug 03, 2013
Amen, Amen. The joy of the lord is our strength.
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 2:19pm On Aug 04, 2013
Sunday 4th August
Eighteenth Sunday of the year
Todays Rosary: The glorious Mysteries
First Reading:Ecclesiastes 1:2-23
Summary:What has a man from all the toil and strain?
Responsorial Psalm:Psalm 90
Second Reading:Colossians 3:1-11
Summary: Set your minds on things that are above,where christ is
Gospel:Luke 12:13-21
Meditation of the Day

Ones life does not consist of possessions luke 12:15
The rich fool learns to his dismay that there is more to life than what he has or what he plans to do.God demands a reckoning for the kind of person he has become,not for the things he has amassed.Early in our christian journey,we learn to look beyond possessions.We make a special effort at being thankful for Gods good gifts.But despite all this, we can stil be tempted to think that what really matters is what we do.We make sure to attend church regularly,to obey the Ten commandments,to watch our language and to give to charity.ofcourse, we should do all these,but we run the risk of turning them into ends in ourselves.We run the risk of proving ourselves on the basis of what we are able to do.The heart of being a christian is who we are,not what we have or can do.We become precious and valuable to God the moment we are conceived and remain his beloved even in our old age-the logic of divine love.
In a society that determines a person's value based on what he or she can produce,we proclaim that values come from love,not productivity.In a world that looks upon the elderly,the disabled and the unwanted as problems to be solved,we proclaim them as gifts to be treasured and protected.The rich fool in the parable made a tragic miscalculation.May we through our words and through our witness,help turn the tide for other people.May we create a world where every life is valued.
Prayer:Father thank you for your unconditional love.Let everything I do express that love.!Amen
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 2:23pm On Aug 04, 2013
May we not be like the rich fool who thought he had all he wanted and forgetting God who is the giver of life.........Amen
May we not be overtaken by the riches of this world,or the earthly possessions knowing that the are here today and gone tomorrow....Amen

Brothers and sisters, use your wealth to help others and Lay for yourselves treasures in heaven......Amen
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by Syncan(m): 2:50pm On Aug 04, 2013
Amen.Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy.

O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life. (Francis of Assisi).

May we be "all things to all men"...and for your sake only, for everything else is vanity. Amen.
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 2:54pm On Aug 04, 2013
Amen to that prayer
Syncan: Amen.Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy.

O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life. (Francis of Assisi).

May we be "all things to all men"...and for your sake only, for everything else is vanity. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by SalC: 3:10pm On Aug 04, 2013
May we always be compelled to do that which is beneficial not just to us but also to our fellow human beings irrespective of the race or religious affiliation.

What we lack in our world today may not necessarily be wealth or material possessions but LOVE.
If those whom God blessed decide to be a blessing to those whom they are better off than, our world will certainly be better than what it is today.

May God remove from us the heart of stone and give us the heart of flesh and may we always put God first in all we do.

"LORD REMOVE THE RICH FOOL SYNDROME FROM US"
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 4:58pm On Aug 04, 2013
Amen
Truly the world lacks love,so much hatred and quest for wealth. Making it hard for us christians to remember our call to show love,even amongst our selves.I sincerely desire a change of heart through Christ Jesus our lord.
Sal C: May we always be compelled to do that which is beneficial not just to us but also to our fellow human beings irrespective of the race or religious affiliation.

What we lack in our world today may not necessarily be wealth or material possessions but LOVE.
If those whom God blessed decide to be a blessing to those whom they are better off than, our world will certainly be better than what it is today.

May God remove from us the heart of stone and give us the heart of flesh and may we always put God first in all we do.

"LORD REMOVE THE RICH FOOL SYNDROME FROM US"
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 11:35am On Aug 06, 2013
Transfiguration of Our Lord
Tuesday 6th August
First Reading Daniel 7:9-14
Summary:His cloth was as white as snow
Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 97
Second Reading 2 Peter 1:16-19
Summary: We heard this voice borne from heaven
Gospel Reading: Luke 9:28-36
Summary: As he was praying,the appearance of his countenance was altered

Meditation of the Day
Put yourself in peter's place.God had already revealed to him that Jesus was the Messiah Luke 9:20.And now he is standing with James and John,watching Jesus' appearance change before his eyes.Even though he knew in his heart who Jesus is,he must have been stunned to see this transfiguration.It surely renewed his determination to follow jesus.Coming down the mountain he undoubtedly felt that nothing could shake his resolve.Still,it was only a short time later that peter abandoned his lofty goal and joined the other disciples in an argument about who was the greatest among them Luke 9:46-48.And when Jesus passiom was at hand,Peter denied three times that he even knew the Lord-after protesting that he would follow Jesus even to prison and death Luke 2: 33-34.
Peter eventually did become the rock on which Jesus built his church,but it certainly didn't happen overnight.Isn't this the story of our lives as well? We have all had times of transfiguration-and perhaps there is no better example of this than receiving Jesus in the Eucharist.For a few moments after communion,we feel consoled by his grace and presence.It seems we are on the mountaintop with Him.But when we go back to reality,we find we are still basically the same person.We may be a little more charitable or a little more forgiving.But we still have parts of out lives that need to be converted.

You may call this a depressing thought.But really,its the grace of God we need.For its then we realize how much we need Jesus,and how much more transformation we can still experience.Seeing where we fall short doesn't have to drive us away from the Lord.

It should push us closer to him.It should move us to receive him with more hope and trust in his grace.So next time you are at Mass,look closely at what you are about to receive.Under the veil of bread and wine,Jesus is there,radiant with his fathers's love.His arms are outstretched ready to embrace you.Come to him and let him keep changing you!

Prayer: Lord ,it is good to be with you at Mass,help me always to stay open to the transforming power of your grace.AMEN
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 11:40am On Aug 06, 2013
Remember your strength and power will fail you when you need it most! Its only through the grace of God we can live a worthy life......your knowledge is nothing! Pray that you may decrease and God increase will increase in you.
Now is the day of salvation.
Lord Jesus,the same yesterday,today and forever.
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by Syncan(m): 2:02pm On Aug 06, 2013
Amen. Transformation, transfiguration, renew, rebirth....New is good in the lord.

"Renew me, renew me, father renew me, O lord
When thou shall come from above
o my father, renew me".

When in the Eucharist I come in contact with you,new every morning be my love. Amen.
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by SalC: 8:51pm On Aug 06, 2013
debbie: Remember your strength and power will fail you when you need it most! Its only through the grace of God we can live a worthy life......your knowledge is nothing! Pray that you may decrease and God increase will increase in you.
I was and always will be transformed by your grace Oh Lord.
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by SalC: 8:53pm On Aug 06, 2013
debbie: Remember your strength and power will fail you when you need it most! Its only through the grace of God we can live a worthy life......your knowledge is nothing! Pray that you may decrease and God increase will increase in you.
I am and always will be transformed by your grace Oh Lord.
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 12:49pm On Dec 03, 2013
I am back after a long break..............sorry my people,we will continue our daily devotion and try to equip us spiritually during this Advent.
Remain blessed
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 1:14pm On Dec 03, 2013
Tuesday 3rd December
Remembering St Francis Xavier,priest.
First Reading Isaiah 11:1-10
Summary- The spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him'
Responsorial Psalmm -72:1-17
Alleluia Alleluia.[b][/b]Behold our Lord will come with power and enlighten the eyes of his servants.Alleluia

Gospel reading Luke 10:21-24
MEDITATION OF THE DAY
Although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned,you have revealed them to the child-like luke10:21
Why are mysteries so intriguing to us? Real life unsolved crimes,detective novels an television series all seem to capture our attention and draw us in.The spark our imagination and make us want to figure out the truth.Then we we solve the puzzle or find the missing link,we are pretty happy with ourselves.Its almost as if we have a built-in need to understand,a constant inner quest for truth that keeps driving us to the bottom of things.
Likewise,we all have an inner need to find God and to understand the mystery of who he is.Every persons quest for purpose,meaning,and hope is at its core,the quest to understand God and his plan for us.How blessed we are,then,that Jesus promises to reveal the mysteries of his kingdom to the child-like! we don't have to be wise and learned.We don't have to study ancient languages or memorize philosophical treatises.We just have to receive the revelation with the simplicity and trust.God is eager to show himself to you! He wants to show you the path he has carved out for you, and he wants to give you all the grace and inspiration you need to walk that path with trust and confidence.It was never his intention to hide himself or his ways.One of the best ways to receive God this advent is to celebrate the sacrament of reconciliation,go back to God and reconcile with him,confess your sins and ask him to forgive you. By its very nature, sin blocks the light of Gods grace.it casts clouds over our hearts so that we can not see the Lord or hear his voice.
But just one humble confession,coupled with a renewed commitment to prayer and true devotion to God is all we need to dispel these clouds and let his light shine anew.
Learn to forgive your brothers and sisters who may have hurt you.Never hold on to grudges and evil done to you.
Remember JESUS CHRIST is the only reason for this advent
PRAYER-Lord open my eyes and show me your kingdom,cleanse my heart so that i can see your glory..........AMEN
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by SalC: 1:16pm On Dec 03, 2013
debbie: I am back after a long break..............sorry my people,we will continue our daily devotion and try to equip us spiritually during this Advent.
Remain blessed
Welcome back sister. Please do also try and visit the catholc thread too.
Re: Catholic Daily Devotion And Meditations-the WORD Among Us. by debbie(f): 1:43pm On Dec 03, 2013
Thank you...........i will do just that!
Will be updating this page regularly for our spiritual growth

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? / Jesus Christ lives forevermore, hallelujah! / Is It Right For A Christian To Drink Palm Wine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.