Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,855 members, 7,806,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Third class Geophysicst Wants To Become A Professional, Advice Neede - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Third class Geophysicst Wants To Become A Professional, Advice Neede (887 Views)

In Need Of A Professional Advice / With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope / Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Third class Geophysicst Wants To Become A Professional, Advice Neede by omophilip: 8:10am On Aug 01, 2013
Am a fresh graduate from one of Nigerian leading university with a 3rd Class Degree in Geophysics. I just want an honest advice on how best to add more value to myself to become relevant in my field of study, I really want to practice as a Geophysicst but with this degree I doubt if I can get a job out there. Or being self employed still in d field, already am very good with some of the exploration software, petshare etc.

Please friends any advice on what step to take will be very helpful. Thanks
Re: Third class Geophysicst Wants To Become A Professional, Advice Neede by kufadem: 8:43am On Aug 01, 2013
i will advice u go for more higher degrees in Geophysics.Having a higher degree in the field and being conversant with the use of softwares will put shadow on your first degree qualification.Also attend professional courses in the field and join professional bodies in the field.With this,u will also have an edge
Re: Third class Geophysicst Wants To Become A Professional, Advice Neede by AjanleKoko: 8:55am On Aug 01, 2013
omophilip: Am a fresh graduate from one of Nigerian leading university with a 3rd Class Degree in Geophysics. I just want an honest advice on how best to add more value to myself to become relevant in my field of study, I really want to practice as a Geophysicst but with this degree I doubt if I can get a job out there. Or being self employed still in d field, already am very good with some of the exploration software, petshare etc.

Please friends any advice on what step to take will be very helpful. Thanks

If you have the funds and the patience, you can still pursue further academic work in the field. Just be aware that you will have to work twice as hard as the average first or second class graduate to earn any respect or recognition.

You can also try your luck with jobs relating to geophysics, that can help you acquire skills. It's not just about knowing how to use software. Most entry-level jobs are extremely competitive in Nigeria, and your class of degree will not stand you in any good stead. In summary, expect no favours, but hunt aggressively for opportunities. You can still make it if you are determined enough.

1 Like

Re: Third class Geophysicst Wants To Become A Professional, Advice Neede by lockedOut: 2:28pm On Aug 06, 2013
@OP like AJ has rightly said, if you have the funds and patience you can definately add more value to yourself. I think your best bet will be to leave the entry level jobs for now, those that have better degrees will probably get more attention than yours, but if there is any opening that does not require a degree, apply and try as much as possible to read up for the interview.

What I will suggest is that you focus your energy more on adding value to yourself, and like a poster up there wrote, you can learn more about the softwares (by attending trainings and writing certification exams) that are relevant to your field and be patient and most especially be ready to work freelance even if it is where you have gone for your training. You can always tell them you want to come there every day after your training might have ended just to learn more and also help out in some daily tasks. You will have to eat the humble pie and try as much as possible to learn and also earn the relevant certifications and afterwards you can start searching for entry level jobs that require a year or two years experience jobs.

It will be a long process that requires perseverance and hard work, you will really have to put your heart into what ever you are learning as it will probably be your best shot. Another advice is do not look at your friends who are making more money now (they probably earned it by having better grades) focus more on what you are studying and chiefly believe in yourself.

p.s: I hope you have the funds to undertake it, if possible convince your sponsor on the profitability of earning a certification(if applicable) in such software

1 Like

Re: Third class Geophysicst Wants To Become A Professional, Advice Neede by Sanguinesir(m): 4:46pm On Aug 06, 2013
Am an admission seeker, i lyk 2 study economics bt becos of competition in d course i opted 4 demography and social statistics. Pls advice me on d benefit i stand 2 gain 4rm dis new course and more details abt d job opportunities 4 it.
Re: Third class Geophysicst Wants To Become A Professional, Advice Neede by JagaJaga1: 7:21pm On Aug 06, 2013
A degree in demography and social statistics qualifies you for a master degree in public health or biostatistics with which you can use in penetrating health NGOs but mind you, even with this degrees, getting in is still not easy (naija factor). This is just one of the many career path for someone delving into Demography and social statistics.
Re: Third class Geophysicst Wants To Become A Professional, Advice Neede by Sanguinesir(m): 9:44pm On Aug 06, 2013
Jaga Jaga: A degree in demography and social statistics qualifies you for a master degree in public health or biostatistics with which you can use in penetrating health NGOs but mind you, even with this degrees, getting in is still not easy (naija factor). This is just one of the many career path for someone delving into Demography and social statistics.
So is it a must 4 one 2 av a masters in demography n stats b4 dey culd secure a job?
Re: Third class Geophysicst Wants To Become A Professional, Advice Neede by omophilip: 2:53am On Aug 14, 2013
lockedOut: @OP like AJ has rightly said, if you have the funds and patience you can definately add more value to yourself. I think your best bet will be to leave the entry level jobs for now, those that have better degrees will probably get more attention than yours, but if there is any opening that does not require a degree, apply and try as much as possible to read up for the interview.

What I will suggest is that you focus your energy more on adding value to yourself, and like a poster up there wrote, you can learn more about the softwares (by attending trainings and writing certification exams) that are relevant to your field and be patient and most especially be ready to work freelance even if it is where you have gone for your training. You can always tell them you want to come there every day after your training might have ended just to learn more and also help out in some daily tasks. You will have to eat the humble pie and try as much as possible to learn and also earn the relevant certifications and afterwards you can start searching for entry level jobs that require a year or two years experience jobs.

It will be a long process that requires perseverance and hard work, you will really have to put your heart into what ever you are learning as it will probably be your best shot. Another advice is do not look at your friends who are making more money now (they probably earned it by having better grades) focus more on what you are studying and chiefly believe in yourself.

p.s: I hope you have the funds to undertake it, if possible convince your sponsor on the profitability of earning a certification(if applicable) in such software

Oh.... Thank you for this, am fully determined to go all the way

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy General Electric O&G Project Management Regional Program – Nigeria / How To Cope With Unemployment / DELETED

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.