Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics (45044 Views)

9 Reasons Why Nigerian Polytechnics Are Better Than Universities / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc / Hnd Is Better Than Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by fatherab1: 4:40pm On May 29, 2008
This was the news that woke us up 2day from the minister of Education. To me it is a good news. I didnt have an HND but i hold ND. I went somewhere to work and was seriously discriminated against. So i  dicided to proceed 2 university against all odds.
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by iku: 9:33pm On May 29, 2008
Guy!

No be today dem dey make the noise.

Discrimination persists no matter what.
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by ishmael(m): 5:43pm On May 30, 2008
May God help Nigeria. Don't be surprised that even the BTech Degree from polytechnics will be discriminated like the HND.
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by fatherab1: 10:47am On Jun 02, 2008
?!
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by paxtz: 11:29am On Jun 02, 2008
It is a proposal. I just believe it will be implemented.
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by elctroguru(m): 2:31pm On Jun 02, 2008
So wat will happen to d B tech degree from Uni of Technology?
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by fatherab1: 5:13pm On Jun 06, 2008
elctroguru:

So what will happen to d B tech degree from Uni of Technology?

Poly BTech vs Uni Btech! What do u expect?
Nigeria!?!
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by ojinter: 6:20pm On Jun 06, 2008
well that is great

please keep me informed on 2008/2009 HND admission into Fed Poly Ede, Offa and Ado
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by esamfor2(m): 12:52pm On Jun 07, 2008
Though ppl are praying for implementation, but what about the upgrade in the curriculum?

If the curriculum remains thesame, then Poly B.Tech can still not meet up in the labour market. What do u feel?
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by ishmael(m): 2:45pm On Jun 09, 2008
e_samfor2:

Though people are praying for implementation, but what about the upgrade in the curriculum?

If the curriculum remains thesame, then Poly B.Tech can still not meet up in the labour market. What do u feel?

The curriculum are not supposed to be the same. The polytechnic curriculum should be more technical than that of the university, while that of the university should be more theoretical than that of the polytechnics, which is what we have on ground already.
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by Dsnyper: 4:27pm On Jun 12, 2008
has it been approved ?
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by trhymes(m): 5:27pm On Jun 12, 2008
Degree is attached to it, and that is all that matters. It is surely going to rough shoulders with Bsc Degree to any length. All my family members, including me have an HND cert, also we all work in companies were they pay us well with no discrimination. I think its all about the connections coupled with proffessional certificates.
cool
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by ishmael(m): 9:46am On Dec 11, 2008
t-rhymes:

Degree is attached to it, and that is all that matters. It is surely going to rough shoulders with Bsc Degree to any length. All my family members, including me have an HND cert, also we all work in companies were they pay us well with no discrimination. I think its all about the connections coupled with proffessional certificates.
cool

Are u saying all members of your family attended poly? Na wa o; una for share una selves naw!
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by Tonyet1(m): 2:30pm On Dec 11, 2008
jus today (11th december)i asked a friend who attends a polytechnic and he confirmed it as true,saying the newly admitted onds and hnds will be graduated with btech but the accreditation board must meet at the school and approve first before ANY other thing,  . . . . pray it does work because many of my pals attend(s)(ed) polytechnic
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by sexfriend: 5:05pm On Dec 11, 2008
maybe
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by tunnex190: 5:45pm On Dec 11, 2008
Hu? Shey those who finished or graduated as accountant, banking & finance, bus. Adm. Would now be awarded as B.Tech? Is there anything tech or science in their course of study? Does it make impact? Trash and bull-shit!
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by tunnex190: 5:46pm On Dec 11, 2008
Hu? Shey those who finished or graduated as accountant, banking & finance, bus. Adm. Would now be awarded as B.Tech? Is there anything tech or science in their course of study? Does it make impact? Trash and bull-shit! Discrimination continues
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by shaback: 5:15pm On Feb 06, 2009
university graduate are trained to design and do research while polytechnic graduate design and also actualise what they design, this concept does not hold in Nigeria. Drawings are design abroad and sent to us to actualise, why are they hiding under the umbrella of degree when they know they are not making any meaningful contribution to the nation engineering and technological development. Nigerian government should remove these dichotomy if they want to advance in engineering and technology, the so call degree holders don't mess up with me in my work place because they know my worth.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by Goldpeas(m): 12:25am On Jul 14, 2009
Auchi poly has nt bin awarded b.tech[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by zebra(m): 1:13pm On Sep 29, 2009
HND is still HND, nothing like BTech yet. continue to pray hard so that the government of yaradua will implement it.
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by Adebhayor(m): 5:59pm On Sep 29, 2009
We pray d govt of ya'radua shld implement it, even most of d so-called Bsc holders cannot stand beside Hnd holders in term of competency in their field; so why d discrimination, bull-shit.
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by DEJ01(m): 4:18pm On Sep 30, 2009
HND is designed to provide middle-level manpower while Bsc to produce high-level manpower so there is nothing like discrimination. you can only complain of discrimination if they are both established with the same intention under the constitution. if youre an HND holder look for a good upgrade path to a degree.
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by nethacker(m): 5:17pm On Sep 30, 2009
father ab:

This was the news that woke us up 2day from the minister of Education. To me it is a good news. I didnt have an HND but i hold ND. I went somewhere to work and was seriously discriminated against. So i dicided to proceed 2 university against all odds.
Pls pls pls lock this thread angry. Visible and reasonable projects and issues hasnt been addressed by those idiots who call themselves GOVT up there angry talkless of the unending issues with HND and B.Sc . ASUU still dey strike u dey talk of HND B.Sc ? Those visionless and unreasonable scoundrels dont care abt us cry cry so pls just go for wat the society needs else i can't fit shout again
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by zebra(m): 3:43pm On Oct 02, 2009
DEJ01:

HND is designed to provide middle-level manpower while Bsc to produce high-level manpower so there is nothing like discrimination. you can only complain of discrimination if they are both established with the same intention under the constitution. if youre an HND holder look for a good upgrade path to a degree.

Mr. man get your facts right before posting. Polytechnics were designed to produce middle level technical manpower, which is ND and not HND. The HND was later introduced to enable the polytechnics produce high-level technical manpower; and the high level technical manpower is equivalent to the high level managerial manpower produced by the universities. This makes HND and Bsc or Ba equivalent. They are never the same thing. The discrimination is uncalled for.
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by MrFox1(m): 10:56am On Oct 03, 2009
There has indeed been an unfair treatment by employers who perceived HND as inferior to Bachelors Degree.
Here is my feeble attempt to guess a couple of reasons why
1. OND admission required less number of credits than Bachelors
2. A different exam PCE JAMB (easier than UME) is required for admission into ND.
3. Only a Pass in english is required for majority of OND courses.
4. Curriculum of Bachelors is different (not better) but of different objectives from OND and HND
5. University Libraries are better equipped than Polytechnics
6. Academic staff in universities include more Ph.D and Professors (i.e more academic achievement)
7. The Universities do lots of research and relate with academics internationally to keep up with developments
8. Polytechnic, as the name implies, are more technically oriented than universities
9. Universities have some courses that are research based like the education, medicine, agronomy, pharmacy which make the environment charged with too much efficos and grammar which is not required by Polytechnic.
10. Finally, employers know that HND holders have more technical skills than Bachelors holders but their needs in banks oil, telecoms and co, like teller jobs are not that technical and you dont have to be more than a school cert holder to do it, since the job market is full of both Bachelors and HND, first class, 2:1, 2:2, upper credit, lower credit. The companies who dont need your core skills either in engineering or accounting will prefer to employ a Bachelors holder who will speak with their customers, most times represent the company and when necessary take up a higher role in the management of the company. Every staff is a customer support staff. And by the nature of the academic orientation of students from universities, they are able to perform in these non skilled jobs and become professional at them. Speaking plenty grammar.

These 10 reasons are just my own opinion.

I hear now that universities and polytechnics will do the same exam (JAMB) next year and admission into ND will require five credits including maths and english.  That is one very good way of setting the standard to same and removing discrimination. What now needs to be done is for the Polytechnics to achieve the same academically charged environment as universities. Lecturers in poly should also achieve Ph.D and do research. And grounds will level. Disrcimination will be removed. Not only in the mind but also in the content of education delivered to students of poly.

I totally condemn the discrimination I have seen in my work place. I dont support it all. I have B.sc from Nigeria plus M.sc from UK and even B.Sc(Nigeria) is discriminated against compared with B.Sc(UK) even within Nigeria. We all suffer it because its a Nigerian problem.
Re: Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics by Aghonghon(f): 11:41am On Mar 12, 2016
heard d same tin, in which courses pls

(1) (Reply)

#11 Million Tuition Per Year : Meet American International School, Lagos / Waec Result 2012 / Oyo Re-opens Schools On Monday; Parents, Teachers In Dilemma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.