Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,696 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:34 PM

Lets Talk Foreign Recipes - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Lets Talk Foreign Recipes (2934 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Talk Foreign Recipes by 6TemTech: 4:28am On May 30, 2008
When I carefully browse through this forum, I see that people only talk about local dishes and recipes.

What about giving foreign recipes a nod. Without going for fast food, you can even prepare your foreign recipes in the
comfort of your home.

I will be posting some foreign recipes in this column, please watch out.

Re: Lets Talk Foreign Recipes by 6TemTech: 4:58am On May 30, 2008
Gratin Of Melting Potatoes

8 Servings

4 1/2 lb potatoes
2 sm cloves garlic
2 md scallions
2 t fresh thyme,minced
1/2 t nutmeg,Fresh Ground
1 3/4 t salt
1/2 t white pepper,Fresh Ground
3 c half and half (or light)
-cream,or as needed
2 T butter

PREPARATION:

Peel and cut potatoes into paper-thin slices. Rinse
with cold water and drain. Peel and mince garlic. Trim and mince scallions. In a bowl, stir together garlic, scallions, thyme, nutmeg, 1 3/4 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

COOKING:

Heat oven to 300F. Butter a 3- to 4-quart heatproof
baking-serving dish. Put a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the dish
and sprinkle with the scallion-garlic mixture. Repeat 4 times, finishing
with a layer of potatoes. Pour in just enough half-and-half to cover the
potatoes. Cover the dish and set over very low heat for 20 minutes.
Remove cover, dot with butter, and bake until potatoes are tender, about 2 ½ hours.
Re: Lets Talk Foreign Recipes by Nobody: 5:10am On Jun 10, 2008
sure why not. . . i love variety of food in the kitchen wink
Re: Lets Talk Foreign Recipes by Leilah(f): 12:11pm On Jun 18, 2008
Thank you, I have millions of foreign recipes for you. Perhaps you may appreciate them. I will most them for you.
Re: Lets Talk Foreign Recipes by Ladytemi(f): 2:15am On Jun 19, 2008
Ingredients
• 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (leaner is better)
• 1 cup 2% milk
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
• 1/2 cup ketchup or barbecue sauce

Easy-Peasy Meatloaf

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients except ketchup in a large bowl, and mix well. Place mixture into an ungreased loaf pan or in an ungreased baking pan. Spread ketchup or sauce over the top of the meatloaf.

Bake uncovered for 1 to 1 1/4 hours until no pink remains at the center of the meatloaf. If using a meat thermometer, the internal temperature of the meatloaf should be 160 degrees.

After baking, let sit for 5 minutes before removing from pan and slicing to serve

I love this recipe. It goes well with mashed potatoes and the leftovers make awesome meatloaf sandwiches.
I'm glad we can share some foreign recipes.
Re: Lets Talk Foreign Recipes by Leilah(f): 9:04pm On Jun 19, 2008
Cous cous al maghribi:

You will need:
oil (either groundnut or olive oil for this dish)
Little salt
knorr chicken cubes (about five or six)
some chicken leg pieces
one whole bulb of garlic ie about nine or ten cloves
one onion
black pepper
one or two if you wish of hot peppers
three carrots
two potatoes
one small can tomatoe paste or about three tablespoons of it.
one can of chick peas (aka garbanzo beans)
One Zucchini aka a courgette(optional)

Wash and season the chicken with maggi/knorr chicken
meanwhile peel the carrots and potatoes and slice the potatoes in four quarters
chopp carrots (in whatever style you like I like to slice it across half way, then down and down again (put aside)
heat little oil in a pot
chopp and add onion to the hot oil
chop garlic and add
brown them for about a minute then add the chicken and brown that a little too for a few minutes
add some salt
some black pepper and hot peper (or hot chilli powder 1 tablespoon)
then add in the tomatoe paste mix it around so that the chicken has paste on it.
now you add water (fill the pot up with half water so that there will be enough for vegetables to cook in.
Now put the vegetables in.
meanwhile leave it to boil for half an hour ( make sure to stir it occasionally though)
it should thicken and look more stew like over time
now, after that half hour add one can chick peas
add the courgette (optional)
leave it to cook for another twenty mins.
*note This stew sauce is not supposed to be very thick and sharp like regular groundnut stew.
You can decide on your own consistency by adding or removing water, but the arabic way is that the sauce is sort of light and little bit runny becuase cous cous is dry and it kind of absorbs the sauce itself while you are eating it.

Make your cous cous and pour your stew over it.
You can also make this dish with lamb
or you can just use some curry powder insted of tomatoe paste.
Re: Lets Talk Foreign Recipes by nila07: 6:52pm On Aug 15, 2008
Pastels

pastry
use goya pastry

stuffing
300g of fresh fish (filet is easier to use: tilapia, king fish, red snapper, no cat fish please)
1 onion, 2 green onions
3 cloves of garlic
1 green pepper
1 bouillon cube
2 tbp of oil
parsley, salt, black pepper

Dipping sauce
1 red or green bell pepper
2 medium size tomatos
2 tbp of tomato paste
2 medium onions
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbp of oil
maggi cube
pepper
water

how to make the stuffing
boil the fish filet in plain water for 10 mn. If you are boiling a whole fish it takes a little longer. Then blend the Garlic, onion pepper, parsley, bouillon. In a pan, put the oil to heat then pour in the blend. let the blend caramelize on medium heat. after about 8 mn, add the boiled fish to the blend. try to mix the fish with the blend untill smooth. add salt if necessary. let it cook for 5 mn.

Place a spoonful of the stuffing mixture in the center of each piece of pastry, fold the dough over the stuffing, and seal the edges together with a fork.

Fry the pastels in hot oil. Use a skillet with an half inch of oil, or a pot with enough oil to allow the pastels to float. Fry the pastels until they are golden brown, turning them at least once.

how to make the dipping sauce
In a pot, heat the 2 tbp of oil. add the chopped onions, garlic and pepper. after 8mn add the tomato paste. let that mixture cook for 6 mn then add water. the amount of water depend on the consistancy of the sauce that you desire. if you want a thick sauce then add a little water. let simmer, then season with the cube and pepper to your taste. ( the hotter the better for me)

[img]http://bp2.blogger.com/_EgndzW8pSKk/R9yqYqeq2EI/AAAAAAAABpE/pAxtge53Zc4/s400/DSCN1028[/img]
Re: Lets Talk Foreign Recipes by tpia: 7:43pm On Aug 15, 2008
Mashed Potatoes:

Ingredients: potatoes, milk, butter/margarine, water, salt to taste.

[list]
[li]Dice and cook potatoes in water.[/li]

[/list]
[list]
[li]When soft, add milk and butter. Amounts optional but the more milk, the better the taste. Dont overdo it however. Butter helps the fluffiness.[/li]

[/list]
[list]
[li]mash all the ingredients together, stirring constantly. (like when making yam pottage).[/li]

[/list]
[list]
[li]Season to taste. (with salt, black pepper etc. Could also be optional).[/li]

[/list]

serve with ready made gravy or else make your own.

Gravy:

I generally just buy ready made since there's a brand I particularly like. Here are some recipes though.

EASY GRAVY   

1 1/2 c. milk
3 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. drippings
1 tsp. salt
Dash of pepper

Shake half of the milk with the flour, salt and pepper. Stir into drippings and add remainder of milk. Cook, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Then cook 2-3 minutes longer. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1626,146187-254207,00.html

drippings are the thick stock left over after cooking meat. Could be chicken, beef, turkey, etc. The bottom of the pot, so to speak.

http://www.recipezaar.com/36279
Re: Lets Talk Foreign Recipes by dudubobo1: 1:24pm On Aug 18, 2008
Let's just boil water, add garri into it and stir well till it's ready.
Eat this with good stew and you'll live healthily.

Who will join in making Nigerian dishes famous around the world?

(1) (Reply)

Why Do You Refuse To Eat The Top Of Slice Bread? / Pls Help How Can I Put Picture Of A Celebrant On Cake / Fried Rice Is Better Than Jollof. Why Are People Always Crazy About Jollof?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.