Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,953 members, 7,799,234 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition (2897 Views)

Nigeria Arrests 22 Boko Haram Members Among Deportee From Cameroon / Nigerian Deportee From Kenya Narrates Ordeal / Angolan Deportee Dies In The Plane. Security Firm G4s Could Be Charged (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Maxymilliano(m): 4:54am On Aug 03, 2013
Residents of Onitsha, Anambra State, were greeted with the sight of 67 persons later discovered to have been deported from Lagos, Wednesday, July 24.

The deportees, majority of whom were of Igbo extraction were dumped like helpless refugees at the popular Upper Iweka area of the commercial city.

On enquiry, they disclosed that they were arrested by officials of Lagos State Kick Against Indiscipline, KAI from various parts of Lagos. They further stated that they were detained in different prison custody for a period of six months to two years before they were brought into Onitsha at about 3.20am.

From their looks, it was discovered that majority of them were not beggars after all. Some of them were discovered to be hawkers whose goods were reportedly seized by KIA officials. But owing to the trauma, they looked pale, malnurished and sick.

When news of the deportation spread across the state, officials of the Nigerian Red Cross Society led by its South East zonal chairman, Dr. Peter Emeka Katcy, arrived the scene at about 6am, where they began a section of interview with the deportees apparently to ascertain their claims.

By noon, relatives of the some of the deportees surged Onitsha, where a total of 41 of them were taken to their different family houses while the Red Cross team whisked the remaining 18 to Onitsha South Local government township Stadium, where they were given first aid treatment and food.

At the stadium, more relatives of the remaining deportees arrived on daily basis, from outside the state, identified their own and took them home. Some of them who were certified medically fit and could find their ways home, were given transport fare.

We were treated like criminals in our own country — deportees

Speaking with Crime Guard, the deportees expressed regrets that a thing like this was happening in a country they were citizens.

They accused KIA officials of carrying out indiscriminate arrests of non-indigenes of Lagos, adding that majority of those detained in various local government cells in Lagos State were Igbos.

According to one of the deportees who gave her name as Rosemary Nathaniel, a native of Ubakala in Umuahia, Abia State, “I was neither a beggar nor a hawker for the past five years I lived in Lagos. I was working at a T-shirt weaving centre at Mile 2, Lagos and I lived with my sister. But in January this year, KAI officials and some policemen arrested me and my friend while we were standing and discussing on the road. We were dragged into their waiting vehicle and taken to a prison at Alausa area of Lagos.

We saw other people who were also arrested .They took us round the area, made other arrests before taking us all to the prison.

The painful aspect of it was that they never bothered to ask any of us where we lived or what were doing for a living. As I speak, my sister whom I live with does not know anything about my whereabouts. It is so sad that this is happening in one’s own country.

Another deportee who identified himself as Osondu Mbuto, a trader from Ohaozara in Ebonyi State said he was arrested by KAI officials while on his way to his shop on December 18, 2012.

He lamented that since his arrest, he was left incommunicado for eight months in a cell around Ikorodu area of Lagos before he was brought to Onitsha.

“I am a Lagos-based petty trader. I packed my goods somewhere and went to eat. As I was going, three persons approached me.

Thinking they were miscreants on a mission to dispossess me of my goods, I decided to give them some money. Then, all of a sudden, I saw an armed policeman pointing his gun at me, he ordered me to follow the KAI officials. Out of fear, I joined them as they marched me into a waiting vehicle and drove away”.

“My initial suspicion was that they were taking us to Alausa police station, where they used to detain people unlawfully only to release them later after parting with some money. But no! they took me to another place in Ikorodu, close to Ijebu-Ode. After taking my statement, they pushed me inside the cell where I was, for eight months.

Two days before we were deported, a man whom they called boss came with a paper and a biro and said those of us interested in going to our home town should put down our names. Some did while others did not for fear that they were going to be killed.

That was how we were sandwiched inside a truck and brought here at the wee hours”

One dead, others unconscious

As at Monday, this week, only five of them were left in the one-room apartment at the stadium. Their identities were given as: Friday Ndukwe from Ohafia in Abia State; Grace Igbochi who claimed to be a Lagosian, Ugulari Tutua from Warri, Delta State; Chinyere Nicholas from Awomamma, Imo State and Rosemary Nathaniel from Ubakala Umuahia, Abia State.

A member of the NRCS and Education Officer attached to the Onitsha South Local Government Education Authority, Mrs. Nneoma Judith Nwora, disclosed that one of the deportees died Friday from a protracted illness, adding that the five remaining deportees comprised two males and three females.

Three of them according to her, were unconscious at the moment, adding that some Rev. Sisters from nearby Madonna Mercy Convent had indicated interest to come and pick them for feeding and medical treatment until they recovered and were fit to go home.

Reactions trail deportation

Reacting to the development, the South East Zonal Red Cross boss, Katchy, described the action of the Lagos State Government as condemnable, adding, “it is very despicable and disheartening that a state in the Federal Republic of Nigeria will bundle people who are in that state, who are not indigenes of Anambra State, and dumped them under the fly-over bridge at Upper Iweka in Onitsha and left them to their fate.

Most of the people interviewed are not even indigenes of Anambra State. Some of them are from Ebonyi, Imo and other states.

This is an insult to Anambra State. We shall draw the attention of His Excellency, the Governor of Anambra State, Mr.Peter Obi to it, and ask why such invasion in his territory and we will find out why Lagos State should invade Anambra State territory by dumping people here helplessly.

Also, in a communique issued at the end of the general meeting of the Onitsha branch of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), the association insisted that those deported be recalled by the Lagos State Government, threatening to take legal actions against Lagos State government if such exercise was carried out again.

The association also appealed to the Anambra State government to come to the assistance of those affected by providing means of transportation to them to enable them go back to their various states of origin, even as it called on the Federal Government to call the Lagos State government to order.

The Lagos State government has however debunked allegation that it deported indigenes of Anambra State, clarifying that it only carried out a rehabilitation and resettlement of citizens from other states.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/igbo-deportee-from-lagos-dies-five-others-in-critical-health-condition/
Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Nobody: 4:57am On Aug 03, 2013
Laughable!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Nobody: 5:05am On Aug 03, 2013
Very sad. Now, let their state govt pick up the mantle, show them how much they really care and provide them adequate Medical care.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by ChiefTapioca: 5:07am On Aug 03, 2013
They came to Anambra alive...

Ibos should take it up from there. They should feed and care for their kinsmen. If Ibos are as good as they claim then we shouldn't be hearing of any of the re-united Ibo Almajjiris being sick or in critical condition. This shows Ibos are only good at chest-beating and playing victim. They actually don't care about themselves.

Why allow them to die in AlaIgbo??

It shows also how Peter Adaobi wants to play politics and whip up sentiments with the lives of his people.

Should any of them die, the blood will haunt Peter Obi( and all Ibos who failed to help them) down to their graves and beyond.

cool cool

11 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Nobody: 5:20am On Aug 03, 2013
Anambra ought to pick up a few Yoruba men in Onitsha bridgehead,detain them for a few months then dump them in Lagos state just like Oyo or Ondo threatened to do to Lagos state and I don't know if they eventually did.
This buffoon that calls himself fashola cannot violate the civil rights of free citizens at will and get away with it
He needs to be sued for assault and kidnapping
And the funny thing us that the guy is a lawyer yet he doesn't know the constitution allows for freedom for it's citizens
He did this to his fellow Yoruba states and Hausas and got away with it
He should not be allowed to do this again
What a useless country where it's foolish visionless ,thieving leaders are gods who can steal,kill and destroy and the people have no recourse

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by seedord247(m): 5:20am On Aug 03, 2013
^^ you never listen to this song by terry G.

All man for himself oooo.... Ma wo ju uche. If you look uche you go hear am.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Nobody: 5:21am On Aug 03, 2013
Chief Tapioca: They came to Anambra alive...

Ibos should take it up from there. They should feed and care for their kinsmen. If Ibos are as good as they claim then we shouldn't be hearing of any of the re-united Ibo Almajjiris being sick or in critical condition. This shows Ibos are only good at chest-beating and playing victim. They actually don't care about themselves.

Why allow them to die in AlaIgbo??

It shows also how Peter Adaobi wants to play politics and whip up sentiments with the lives of his people.

Should any of them die, the blood will haunt Peter Obi( and all Ibos who failed to help them) down to their graves and beyond.

cool cool

Lol did u read atall? Can't u see where its stated they were helped! by red cross and some rev sisters offering help..... omg!! You dumb mehn!! The person died was already sick!!!

8 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Gboliwe: 5:22am On Aug 03, 2013
Congrats Fashola, your ritual, blood and power money is working. God alone will judge you and you will pay for the life of another man you wasted. Your hands are soiled in innocent blood and the Almighty will never allow you go unpunished.

10 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by phecs: 5:24am On Aug 03, 2013
This my lagosian friend here in joburg is already a dead man let the sentiment and segregation begins. let

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Gboliwe: 5:25am On Aug 03, 2013
nwando: Anambra ought to pick up a few Yoruba men in Onitsha bridgehead,detain them for a few months then dump them in Lagos state just like Oyo or Ondo threatened to do to Lagos state and I don't know if they eventually did.
This buffoon called a fashola cannot violate the civil rights of free citizens at will
And the funny thing us that the guy is a lawyer yet he doesn't know the constitution allows for freedom for it's citizens
It will be an act of wickedness if they do that. True Christians do not revenge and that is what that Fashola and his crew would expect, but they wont get the satisfaction.
Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by UxExperience: 5:28am On Aug 03, 2013
phecs: This my lagosian friend here in joburg is already a dead man let the sentiment and segregation begins. let

Are you threatening to kill your Yoruba friend? Ibos are bloodthirsty

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by UxExperience: 5:29am On Aug 03, 2013
Why do you want to rot and die under Lagos bridge when you can get supervision and support from your governor?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by UxExperience: 5:30am On Aug 03, 2013
The support they're getting would not have been made possible without Fashola's intervention. Obi, why have you forsaken your people?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by UxExperience: 5:31am On Aug 03, 2013
nwando: Anambra ought to pick up a few Yoruba men in Onitsha bridgehead,detain them for a few months then dump them in Lagos state just like Oyo or Ondo threatened to do to Lagos state and I don't know if they eventually did.
This buffoon that calls himself fashola cannot violate the civil rights of free citizens at will and get away with it
He did this to his fellow Yoruba states and Hausas and got away with it
He should not be allowed to do this again
What a useless country where it's foolish visionless ,thieving leaders are gods who can steal,kill and destroy and the people have no recourse

Why should Obi and Orji get away with the same crime ? Is it because here Ibo?

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by UxExperience: 5:34am On Aug 03, 2013
These Ibo almajiris would have died and rotted in Lagos prison instead of getting the support they needed in Anambra if Fashola hadn't reunited them with family and friends. I guess Ibos fear returning home. Yorubaland is too sweet.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Nobody: 5:35am On Aug 03, 2013
#Speechless
Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by hakku: 5:57am On Aug 03, 2013
dis may cause poitical unrest.
Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Standing5(m): 6:04am On Aug 03, 2013
Peter Obi's plan to blackmail Fashola will now come back to hunt him too. The 'Deportees' never told us people died while in the care of LASG. How come they are only dying now? Afterall they informed Obi's Anambra govt. of the move.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by austinsmat(m): 6:06am On Aug 03, 2013
One Nigeria indeed
Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by musiwa36: 6:09am On Aug 03, 2013
grin
Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by EkoAtlantic: 6:14am On Aug 03, 2013
[size=14pt]Coming from vanguard, the ibotic newspaper. grin
Can't take any beer parlor gist ibo newspapers(Vanguard and The Sun) call news, they are full of lies, just like AdaObi lied about Lagos not contacting his state before reuniting his people in his village called state
Not until a credible newspaper has it as there headline, it remains a rumor.
If true, it could be AdaObi's instruction to kill those people so as to cover himself, because Fashola recently pulled down his skirt exposing him to the world.[/size]

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by takedat(m): 6:15am On Aug 03, 2013
Cooked-up Propaganda and Cocktail of lies. Over 3000 destitute were rehabilitated and repatriated to the North, others to South-Western states, and the first batch of 'deportees' to the South-East, none of them complained that inhuman or degrading treatment was meted out to them during their stay in the rehabilitation centers, and none was reported dead after their re-settlement. Some people are being disingenuous and mischievous.

They all claim to be traders, yet none gave his or her residential address in Lagos. Okokomaiko and Mile 2 are no residential address(es). Under the bridge/motor parks/Road side is no home!

There was a series of exchanges between Lagos State Government and Anambra State liason office, inviting them to come and interview the destitutes and carry out their own assessment, but they failed to show up.

How many of these media houses and journalists have taken their time to visit and inspect the Training and Rehabilitation Centres, so as to have a first hand assessment and information on what goes on there? Their reports are based on hearsay. Bunch of lazy journalists.

Lagos State Government is well aware that it will amount to an exercise in futility to attempt to 'Permanently Expel' anyone from the state due to the fact that there are no interstate borders, and that it would violate citizens right to freedom of movement. But since these destitutes are not willing to undergo intensive rehabilitation programs which will make them to be upstanding members of the community, and they have no families to reunite with them in Lagos. The best thing was to ship them down to the East, an all expense paid trip courtesy of LASG(lol).

Goverment's resources are limited and not everyone is able to be helped. There are over a million Igbos in Lagos who go about their daily business(es) without any fear of intimidation or harassment.

9 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Nobody: 6:17am On Aug 03, 2013
Well Nigeria is a zoo run by wild animals themselves
No wonder a governor can forcefully remove citizens and dump them anywhere he wishes and he is hailed
If it were here in the USA Fashola's Backside would have been coasting in jail where he will sit a Long time
He is in the company of people like him so he is free to do as he wishes

1 Like

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Nobody: 6:17am On Aug 03, 2013
Sad. .

but sometimes I kinda wonder

I am igbo, and I have very awesome Yoruba strangers who have become brothers.

If the tribal hate cannot make anyone see the pain in this issue, then there's a problem!

I really do hope the way nairaland tribalists behave is limited to their computers.

Same people that never miss church on Sunday, same others that have been fasting for a while too.

Nigeria needs help !

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by EkoAtlantic: 6:19am On Aug 03, 2013
Standing5: Peter Obi's plan to blackmail Fashola will now come back to hunt him too. [size=14pt]The 'Deportees' never told us people died while in the care of LASG. How come they are only dying now?[/size] Afterall they informed Obi's Anambra govt. of the move.

AdaObi fabricating stories to save his busted @ss. Lol...

1 Like

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Nobody: 6:21am On Aug 03, 2013
UxExperience:

Why should Obi and Orji get away with the same crime ? Is it because here Ibo?

To the best of my knowledge,Orji disengaged workers but never transported anyone across state lines to any states
If you have that evidence that he bussed and dumped people in other states please provide it here
Some of you are used to repeating what others say
Give us your proof
Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Nobody: 6:23am On Aug 03, 2013
Eko Atlantic:

AdaObi fabricating stories to save his busted @ss. Lol...

Anything can happen to a malnourished folk who got dumped at an unknown environment at 3am, especially in this rainy season.
Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Nobody: 6:23am On Aug 03, 2013
I pity us all!
Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Nobody: 6:25am On Aug 03, 2013
UxExperience:

Are you threatening to kill your Yoruba friend? Ibos are bloodthirsty
not all igbos though. I am catching up with an Igbo friend of mine today. He is a good man.
Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by Nobody: 6:27am On Aug 03, 2013
Imanuelle:

Anything can happen to a malnourished folk who got dumped at an unknown environment at 3am, especially in this rainy season.

When you have a man making fun and laughing at the death of his fellow man then know that he has crossed over into the monster realm
My good cousin had a stint at a disastrous marriage with this Yoruba man and when she escaped alive,her words and I quote "my enemy will not marry Yoruba"
I have never forgotten those words as I read the hatred from their lips

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by biafransoul: 6:27am On Aug 03, 2013
Where are the so called human rights activists, the civil liberty organisations, the Wole Soyinkas, Femi Falanas etc? This clearly shows that they are all hypocrites and political commentators who are just out looking for cheap publicity and what to eat.
I thought they were all ready to go and die for Amaechi just some few days back, saw some on tv the other day wearing printed t shirts and protesting at Alausa but when they are really needed they would all disappear cos money is not involved. The fact remains that the poor people in this country are on their own and the political activists masquerading as human right activists are just emergency commentators and never meant to be taken serious. Sincere Nigerians now knows better and it pains to know that the man has really died in him who kept quiet in the face of injustice.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Deportee From Lagos Dies, Five Others In Critical Health Condition by nyabingi(m): 6:27am On Aug 03, 2013
fashola has in recent times openly shown his hatred for Igbos living in lagos, this time around he has goofed big time this time, there no justification to what the lagos state govt did, take a walk to okokomaiko and alaba rago in ojo area of lagos theres a lot of beggars and destitutes of hausa xtracts causing nuisance in trafics yet the govt didnt repatriate them, we will never stop talking about this injustice until the presidency intervane....and if you say what fashola did was right then may it happen to your very own!!

(1) (2) (3) (4)

Goodluck Jonathan: The Many Battles Of A President From Minority Tribe / Osun 2014, Why Omisore May Emerge Victorious / I Was Part Of The Group That Eliminated Abacha- Joe Igbokwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.