Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,840 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Frustration Of A University Student [ASUU Strike] - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Frustration Of A University Student [ASUU Strike] (1108 Views)

The Cult Pursuit, A Story Of A University Student In The Hands Of Cultist..... / Diary Of A University Girl [episode 1] The Beginning / ASUU Chronicles: The Lost Battle Of Lust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Frustration Of A University Student [ASUU Strike] by russigin(m): 10:01am On Aug 03, 2013
Its another morning, I wake up with a big sigh on my lips. I am a young lad but my fears and worries are that of an old woman. My school identity card says 2009-2013 but I know that with the way things are going I may not graduate till well into 2014. That is if I am not dead by then, blown away by a bomb, shot down by the police or even beaten to death by a violent legislator. I sound very pessimistic and gloomy, it’s not my fault. Nigeria has killed my optimism and that of millions of students of government-owned tertiary institutions.

News of an impending strike started trickling into our ears around late June and we shrugged it off as one of those things, ‘normal ASUU wahala’ which would be resolved in no time. Alas, our joy was shortlived in the first week of July when a communiqué was issued confirming the strike action. Students living in far places were confronted with the sad fact that they may yet again have to risk their lives to return home as this strike was actually happening.

Thank God for my Industrial Training, Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook, and of course the inventors of Twitter, my mind wont have to end up as the devil’s workshop. As silly as this may sound, the combination of some of these 3 facilities, if not more has being responsible for maintaining the sanity of millions of Nigerian students sitting down at home idle and frustrated. So many students are spending virtually this period of strike facebooking and tweeting, chatting, visiting friends and just doing anything to kill the boredom.

When two elephants fight, what shall become of the grass? Question for the gods, maybe. No one knows when ASUU will be calling off the strike. All we here everyday is meeting upon meeting, consultations. To make matters worse, the Federal Government seems to have pushed ASUU to one corner and is concentrating fully on political brouhaha, Legislative violence, and Boko Haram issue in no particular order. Well I will not digress into the politics and economics of it all after all what do I know? All I know is that when I resume for my finals *pops collar* (only God knows whenever that is) *sad face*, austerity measures might have to take its place in favour of my usual philantrophic nature. Abi nw….wetin man go do. I cannot come and go and come and kill myself. Economic meltdown has taken a rather harsh toll on my old man’s finance consequently affecting my own meagre share; no more Mother Christmas with my food items.

We have been told left, right and centre to pray. Pray for the nation. Pray for your country. So we are praying or at least I have being praying. Even with my deep pessimism and sarcasm, there’s still one tiny voice in my head telling me that things will work out fine. I have survived worse. But for now its back to tweeting, chatting and surfing blogs on the internet, at least these ones have not decided to strike yet.

http://elquill.com/2013/07/30/frustration-of-a-university-student-ASUU-strike/

Re: Frustration Of A University Student [ASUU Strike] by greatestman(m): 10:12am On Aug 03, 2013
OP nice write up
Re: Frustration Of A University Student [ASUU Strike] by Watermelon(m): 10:31am On Aug 03, 2013
Insightful and interesting.
Re: Frustration Of A University Student [ASUU Strike] by russigin(m): 10:59am On Aug 03, 2013
mikeyhernadez: Nice "Copy and Paste" Job!

Dnt get it twisted......this was written by me
Re: Frustration Of A University Student [ASUU Strike] by russigin(m): 10:59am On Aug 03, 2013
greatest man: OP nice write up

Thanks
Re: Frustration Of A University Student [ASUU Strike] by Nobody: 11:00am On Aug 03, 2013
russigin:

Dnt get it twisted......this was written by me
Sorry Sire!!!
Nice write up tho!
Re: Frustration Of A University Student [ASUU Strike] by halfdollar: 9:00am On Aug 04, 2013
am gland 2 be a member of nairalaqnd
Re: Frustration Of A University Student [ASUU Strike] by yemi2plus(m): 6:25pm On Aug 05, 2013
ASUU brouhaha.. I have intention to write on similiar topice. Nice one op

(1) (Reply)

OLU (diary Of A Broke Playboy) - Episode One / The Guardians Of Tankute { The Manhunters} / Violated (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.