Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,534 members, 7,808,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Why I Raise My Children Without God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I Raise My Children Without God (1442 Views)

Can You Be Good Without GOD?? / Can man live without God? Why do people who reject God seem to live happy lives / Paula White: Without Walls Or Without God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Raise My Children Without God by mantraa: 10:56am On Aug 03, 2013
When my son was around 3 years old, he used to ask me a lot of questions about heaven. Where is it? How do people walk without a body? How will I find you? You know the questions that kids ask.

For over a year, I lied to him and made up stories that I didn’t believe about heaven. Like most parents, I love my child so much that I didn’t want him to be scared. I wanted him to feel safe and loved and full of hope. But the trade-off was that I would have to make stuff up, and I would have to brainwash him into believing stories that didn’t make sense, stories that I didn’t believe either.

One day he would know this, and he would not trust my judgment. He would know that I built an elaborate tale—not unlike the one we tell children about Santa—to explain the inconsistent and illogical legend of God.

And so I thought it was only right to be honest with my children. I am a non-believer, and for years I’ve been on the fringe in my community. As a blogger, though, I’ve found that there are many other parents out there like me. We are creating the next generation of kids, and there is a wave of young agnostics, atheists, free thinkers and humanists rising up through the ranks who will, hopefully, lower our nation’s religious fever.

Here are a few of the reasons why I am raising my children without God.

God is a bad parent and role model.
If God is our father, then he is not a good parent. Good parents don’t allow their children to inflict harm on others. Good people don’t stand by and watch horrible acts committed against innocent men, women and children. They don’t condone violence and abuse. “He has given us free will,” you say? Our children have free will, but we still step in and guide them.

God is not logical.
How many times have you heard, “Why did God allow this to happen?” And this: “It’s not for us to understand.” Translate: We don’t understand, so we will not think about it or deal with the issue. Take for example the senseless tragedy in Newtown. Rather than address the problem of guns in America, we defer responsibility to God. He had a reason. He wanted more angels. Only he knows why. We write poems saying that we told God to leave our schools. Now he’s making us pay the price. If there is a good, all-knowing, all-powerful God who loves his children, does it make sense that he would allow murders, child abuse, wars, brutal beatings, torture and millions of heinous acts to be committed throughout the history of mankind? Doesn’t this go against everything Christ taught us in the New Testament?

The question we should be asking is this: “Why did we allow this to happen?” How can we fix this? No imaginary person is going to give us the answers or tell us why. Only we have the ability to be logical and to problem solve, and we should not abdicate these responsibilities to “God” just because a topic is tough or uncomfortable to address.

God is not fair.
If God is fair, then why does he answer the silly prayers of some while allowing other, serious requests, to go unanswered? I have known people who pray that they can find money to buy new furniture. (Answered.) I have known people who pray to God to help them win a soccer match. (Answered.) Why are the prayers of parents with dying children not answered?

If God is fair, then why are some babies born with heart defects, autism, missing limbs or conjoined to another baby? Clearly, all men are not created equally. Why is a good man beaten senseless on the street while an evil man finds great wealth taking advantage of others? This is not fair. A game maker who allows luck to rule mankind’s existence has not created a fair game.

God does not protect the innocent.
He does not keep our children safe. As a society, we stand up and speak for those who cannot. We protect our little ones as much as possible. When a child is kidnapped, we work together to find the child. We do not tolerate abuse and neglect. Why can’t God, with all his powers of omnipotence, protect the innocent?

God is not present.
He is not here. Telling our children to love a person they cannot see, smell, touch or hear does not make sense. It means that we teach children to love an image, an image that lives only in their imaginations. What we teach them, in effect, is to love an idea that we have created, one that is based in our fears and our hopes.

God Does Not Teach Children to Be Good
A child should make moral choices for the right reasons. Telling him that he must behave because God is watching means that his morality will be externally focused rather than internally structured. It’s like telling a child to behave or Santa won’t bring presents. When we take God out of the picture, we place responsibility of doing the right thing onto the shoulders of our children. No, they won’t go to heaven or rule their own planets when they die, but they can sleep better at night. They will make their family proud. They will feel better about who they are. They will be decent people.

God Teaches Narcissism
“God has a plan for you.” Telling kids there is a big guy in the sky who has a special path for them makes children narcissistic; it makes them think the world is at their disposal and that, no matter what happens, it doesn’t really matter because God is in control. That gives kids a sense of false security and creates selfishness. “No matter what I do, God loves me and forgives me. He knows my purpose. I am special.” The irony is that, while we tell this story to our kids, other children are abused and murdered, starved and neglected. All part of God’s plan, right?

When we raise kids without God, we tell them the truth—we are no more special than the next creature. We are just a very, very small part of a big, big machine–whether that machine is nature or society–the influence we have is minuscule. The realization of our insignificance gives us a true sense of humbleness.

I understand why people need God. I understand why people need heaven. It is terrifying to think that we are all alone in this universe, that one day we—along with the children we love so much—will cease to exist. The idea of God and an afterlife gives many of us structure, community and hope.

I do not want religion to go away. I only want religion to be kept at home or in church where it belongs. It’s a personal effect, like a toothbrush or a pair of shoes. It’s not something to be used or worn by strangers. I want my children to be free not to believe and to know that our schools and our government will make decisions based on what is logical, just and fair—not on what they believe an imaginary God wants.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-910282
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by OneNigeria44(m): 11:05am On Aug 03, 2013
And u think dat is d best way to cure d religious fever?. I strongly advise u rethink over this[b]And u think dat is d best way to cure d religious fever?. I strongly advise u rethink over this[/b]And u think dat is d best way to cure d religious fever?. I strongly advise u rethink over this
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by UyiIredia(m): 11:22am On Aug 03, 2013
With great potential for good comes a like propensity for evil. As it is with God so it applies to man. I think it inane one dismisses God for evil despite good and upholds science for good forsaking its evil.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by iamswizz(m): 11:27am On Aug 03, 2013
*Yawns*

Boring Tale.
Even the bible knows that some will not still believe in God, no wonder she calls them fools!
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by Nobody: 11:40am On Aug 03, 2013
couldn't read all. who did?
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by Nomski0(f): 11:46am On Aug 03, 2013
Why are you giving reasons to us as to why you dont want to raise your children without God? Are you trying to justify your decision. If you want to train anti-christs thats your effing business. #nuff said.

1 Like

Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 03, 2013
SMH for her. I just pity the kids who were so unfortunate to have you as a mother. Dont even let me talk on the trash you posted up there.
iamswizz: *Yawns*

Boring Tale.
Even the bible knows that some will not still believe in God, no wonder it calls them fools!

Whew! That's heavy!
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by plaetton: 2:39pm On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia: With great potential for good comes a like propensity for evil. As it is with God so it applies to man. I think it inane one dismisses God for evil despite good and upholds science for good forsaking its evil.

The difference is that religion arrogates to itself and sets out to set the standard, to model and to control human behaviour towards some ultimate goal. Science does not do that.

The point is that no single good ever comes out of religion.
Religion actually encourages evil because it promotes that idea of forgiveness of sins.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:25pm On Aug 03, 2013
@ OP..... Why cant you allow your child to realise that religion is evil and god is illogical by himself/herself? Forcing down your disbelief on that little child throat will be form of indoctrination and prohibiting is freedom right of exploring and self understanding of life...

If tomorrow he/she goes to school and mix up with religious kid, he will look at you as evil person. It is a natural stuff in young people to test things out no matter how you paint it.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by UyiIredia(m): 3:28pm On Aug 03, 2013
plaetton:

The difference is that religion arrogates to itself and sets out to set the standard, to model and to control human behaviour towards some ultimate goal. Science does not do that.

The point is that no single good ever comes out of religion.
Religion actually encourages evil because it promotes that idea of forgiveness of sins.

Science does precisely that. The scientific method is defined, modelled and taught to all in school and in popular culture it is reinforced that science hold the key to man's greater good. Science came out of religion: it is most clear that from the medieval era the enlingthment era proceeded and more importantly the icons of that era had no qualms with religion. Of course l the term forgiveness of sins betrays the all to common meme amongst atheists of equating religion to Christianity since it's the most prominent. I was referring to religion in general.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 03, 2013
iamswizz: *Yawns*

Boring Tale.

^^^^ exactly...lol

my future kids will hear about God.
that's all I care about.

good luck with that op/or who ever wrote that.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by sakaguchi(m): 8:21pm On Aug 03, 2013
I was born in the north and only spent 2 of my 23 years on earth South of the Niger, question is, if I follow the assertion of the bible to its core, then I will not be happy even in heaven, for instance, all of my close friends are Muslims, the few that I have who are christians are mostly from my state, my girlfriend is a Muslim and I dare say that she's better than most of the christian sisters I have seen going to church, this is not to say Muslims are all in all good as I have seen many many Muslim girls that are badt, so badt I could swear the fear of God is far from them, I find it difficult to tell my good girl that she's is going to hell simply because she's a Muslim, if she had been born by my parents and I was born by hers, I would have been a Muslim and she, a Christian, would that mean that I will go to the pit of hell while she enjoys in heaven? If that is the case, is the habitat called heaven not a place people go by chance?
Come to think of it, is Mahatma Ganhi ( a hindu) going to hell? For God sake that guy is Godly than many Christians and Muslim, why would God put Mahatma Gandhi in the same hell fire that Adolf Hittler will occupy?
I don't mean to cause any offense here but I like the lifestyle of Budha more than Muhammed, and I think that Gandhi is better than pope Francis, pope Benedict, Bishop Oyedepo, and pastor Adeboye combined. And all these are good men. I am sure that none of us here on this thread would be a Muslim or a Christian if we were born in Japan. Many people take the religion of the society and family they are born into, if the author of this piece was born in Saudi Arabia, she won't hold this opinion, If boko haram's shekau was born in Harlem (USA) he might have been a rapper. If that is the case, I think it is racist if one religion goes to heaven and the rest all go to hell.
I believe in God, I believe in heaven and hell, but I believe that all religion on EARTH are scam, well, that's just me thinking.
Heaven and hell is going to be judged with right and wrong and not by religion, this again is my humble opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by mantraa: 8:26pm On Aug 03, 2013
Not believing in a god is not evil or bad. There are thousands of different gods that people have worshipped and tens of thousands of different religions. What makes you so sure you were lucky enough to be born in a country where they worship the right one? You did not choose where you were born and you know that people in other counties with different beliefs are not evil and destined for hell. In fact, the concept of hell is a very cruel and evil concept that keeps people afraid to question their belief system even though it is full of contradictions, horrific stories of genocide, r.ape, infanticide, and talking animals.
You must know deep down that its all a myth and you can be good without god. Science is finding more and more natural answers to things we used to think we're evidence of god at work. There is still so much more to learn, so lets open our minds and not be afraid to go where the evidence leads us.
Religions hold us back and divide us, whereas science has discovered that we are all evolved from Africa millions of years ago. We are all related. we are all AFRICANS.

1 Like

Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by UyiIredia(m): 10:31pm On Aug 03, 2013
^^^I first came accross 'We Are Africans' slogan on RDFRS. Funny though, most African inhabitants don't bother about or believe in evolution. Neither do I.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia: ^^^I first came accross 'We Are Africans' slogan on RDFRS. Funny though, most African inhabitants don't bother about or believe in evolution. Neither do I.

Follow the masses like a sheep.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by UyiIredia(m): 10:49pm On Aug 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

Follow the masses like a sheep.

As I see your name I suspected you replied my post. You sure say u no dey troll me ?
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by Nobody: 10:51pm On Aug 03, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

As I see your name I suspected you replied my post. You sure say u no dey troll me ?

SMH......
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by noblefada: 12:12am On Aug 04, 2013
The issue I've with the Op is that most of their reason are based on the ignorant stuff they told them about God. God was not responsible for anything put up there n because of false deny those young ones the right to know is just so sad. By the way we're beginning to see that indoctrination is not solely a religious concept but a humanity thing.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by turnstoner(m): 7:53am On Aug 04, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Science came out of religion: it is most clear that from the medieval era the enlingthment era proceeded and more importantly the icons of that era had no qualms with religion.

The above is a perfect example of crooked logic/reasoning:

If the enlightenment era emerged from the medieval era does that equate the two eras?

The icons of that era didn't have qualms with religion therefore people of modern era should be like them?

Are you so ignorant that you haven't noticed the shifts in paradigms since then
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by UyiIredia(m): 9:52am On Aug 04, 2013
turnstoner:

The above is a perfect example of crooked logic/reasoning:

If the enlightenment era emerged from the medieval era does that equate the two eras?

The icons of that era didn't have qualms with religion therefore people of modern era should be like them?

Are you so ignorant that you haven't noticed the shifts in paradigms since then

This is a good example of the strawman fallacy. Where did I equate the 2 eras ? I said one gave rise to the other. The shift in paradigms (from mostly theistic to mostly materialistic) since then does not bother me: what is 'bothersome' is your inanity crudely displayed.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 04, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

This is a good example of the strawman fallacy. Where did I equate the 2 eras ? I said one gave rise to the other. The shift in paradigms (from mostly theistic to mostly materialistic) since then does not bother me: what is 'bothersome' is your inanity crudely displayed.

Science existed before religion. Dumbazz.

The first man that lit a fire and then recreated that fire from observation of the first parameters, engaged in science.

If you want to talk about the enlightenment- the enlightenment came despite religion
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by turnstoner(m): 11:01am On Aug 04, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

The shift in paradigms (from mostly theistic to mostly materialistic) since then does not bother me: what is 'bothersome' is your inanity crudely displayed.

If the shifts in paradigms and the subsequent accumulation of facts and certainties does not make any difference to you then you must be one prehistoric crocodile.

By saying that the icons of that era didn't have qualms with religion you are suggesting that we shouldn't have, too. In other words, nothing has changed i.e., you are equating the two eras.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by mantraa: 11:34am On Aug 04, 2013
It seems clear that science came out of the curiosity to investigate the world without including god in the equation. This method was always very risky with the threat of being branded a heretic and tortured and killed by the religious authority.
However, the scientific method has proved much more successful in understanding the world and universe that we live in.

Scientists have looked at the air we breathe and discovered it is made of different gasses like hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen etc.
They have investigated light and discovered the electromagnetic spectrum, the colours of the rainbow and the real reason why it forms.
They have discovered electricity and the real reason why lightning forms,
the reason why the sun burns thought nuclear fusion,
the reason why the wind blows,
plate tectonics and earthquakes,
DNA, natural selection and evolution etc. the list goes on and on.

And in all cases no supernatural gods have been found to be involved even though for centuries people thought that these were acts of god.
Religions have held back progress by imposing harsh punishments on those who dared to question. Now that the influence of religious believers is dropping, human understanding of the universe has increased immensely.
If there really are gods out there somewhere, the evidence should lead us there. So far all the evidence is indicating there are no gods.
Allah, Yahweh, Krishna, Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Sango, Oduduwa, Zeus, Thor, etc, are all man made gods and prophets of gods.

This is where the evidence is taking us, and millions are finally waking up to the fact that you can be good, ethical and moral without believing in ancient supernatural fairytales. (And you won't be burned at the stake as a heretic by man, or condemned to everlasting torture in hell by a god for the 'crime' of thinking rationally).
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by UyiIredia(m): 1:41pm On Aug 04, 2013
turnstoner:

If the shifts in paradigms and the subsequent accumulation of facts and certainties does not make any difference to you then you must be one prehistoric crocodile.

By saying that the icons of that era didn't have qualms with religion you are suggesting that we shouldn't have, too. In other words, nothing has changed i.e., you are equating the two eras.

*in Viru Sahasstrabudhe's voice* 'As expected.'

You commit the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy (after this, therefore because of this). The fallacy is claiming that my argument of icons the enlightment era having no qualms with religion (post hoc) means that I'm equating the two (ergo propter hoc). You must_and you didn't_show how suggesting that you shouldn't have qualms with religion (a wrong inference because I know your ilk does and I was using it wrt my beliefs) translates to saying that the medieval and enlightment eras are the same. It would be interesting to see you try.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by UyiIredia(m): 1:46pm On Aug 04, 2013
turnstoner:

*in Viru Sahasstrabudhe's voice* 'As expected.'

You commit the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy (after this, therefore because of this). The fallacy is claiming that my argument of icons the enlightment era having no qualms with religion (post hoc) means that I'm equating the two (ergo propter hoc). You must_and you didn't_show how suggesting that you shouldn't have qualms with religion (a wrong inference because I know your ilk does and I was using it wrt my beliefs) translates to saying that the medieval and enlightment eras are the same. It would be interesting to see you try.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by UyiIredia(m): 2:41pm On Aug 04, 2013
mantraa: It seems clear that science came out of the curiosity to investigate the world without including god in the equation. This method was always very risky with the threat of being branded a heretic and tortured and killed by the religious authority.
However, the scientific method has proved much more successful in understanding the world and universe that we live in.

Scientists have looked at the air we breathe and discovered it is made of different gasses like hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen etc.
They have investigated light and discovered the electromagnetic spectrum, the colours of the rainbow and the real reason why it forms.
They have discovered electricity and the real reason why lightning forms,
the reason why the sun burns thought nuclear fusion,
the reason why the wind blows,
plate tectonics and earthquakes,
DNA, natural selection and evolution etc. the list goes on and on.

And in all cases no supernatural gods have been found to be involved even though for centuries people thought that these were acts of god.
Religions have held back progress by imposing harsh punishments on those who dared to question. Now that the influence of religious believers is dropping, human understanding of the universe has increased immensely.
If there really are gods out there somewhere, the evidence should lead us there. So far all the evidence is indicating there are no gods.
Allah, Yahweh, Krishna, Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Sango, Oduduwa, Zeus, Thor, etc, are all man made gods and prophets of gods.

This is where the evidence is taking us, and millions are finally waking up to the fact that you can be good, ethical and moral without believing in ancient supernatural fairytales. (And you won't be burned at the stake as a heretic by man, or condemned to everlasting torture in hell by a god for the 'crime' of thinking rationally).

Nonsense. There is a reason why metaphysics was said by a certain famed man of old to be the first and last science. I assert that science rests on the metaphysical (or supernatural if you will). Science starts from consciousness (or intelligence if you will). It is a conscious thing which notes an event, deems it a problem and arrives at the solution when satisfied with an understanding of preceding causal events. The mystery and solution thereof start and end with consciousness which all science rests on. As surely as you, the plaetton's and the Murray Gellmann's of this world say there is nothing more, and that Nature and its laws are proceed the result of chance and exist by virtue of themselves: I, the Planck's and Newton's of this world will state that the fundamental aspect of reality is a non-contingent conscious being, understood in religions, to be God who defined this physical world and made men with sufficient consciousness requisite to apprehend this reality. This consciousness being 'something more'
pre-requisite to science. 2 Tim 3:5 comes to my mind when people allude to mind resulting from matter without God.

"I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness."
- Max Planck
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 05, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Nonsense.[size=18pt]There is a reason why metaphysics was said by a certain famed man of old to be the first and last science. I assert that science rests on the metaphysical (or supernatural if you will). [/size]Science starts from consciousness (or intelligence if you will). It is a conscious thing which notes an event, [deems it a problem[/u][/b] and arrives at the solution when satisfied with an understanding of preceding causal events. The mystery and solution thereof start and end with consciousness which all science rests on. As surely as you, the plaetton's and the Murray Gellmann's of this world say there is nothing more, and that Nature and its laws are proceed the result of chance and exist by virtue of themselves: I, the Planck's and Newton's of this world will state that the fundamental aspect of reality is a non-contingent conscious being, understood in religions, to be God who defined this physical world and made men with sufficient consciousness requisite to apprehend this reality. This consciousness being 'something more'
pre-requisite to science. 2 Tim 3:5 comes to my mind when people allude to mind resulting from matter without God.

"I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness."
- Max Planck

You write as if you are dropping some real intellectual gems. Unfortunately, what you wrote in bold is the biggest unscientific, pseudoscientific nonsense I have ever read in my life.

Metaphysics is philosophy and not natural science.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by mamsong9(m): 10:53am On Aug 05, 2013
mantraa:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-910282

I pray that Allah wul cure you from this destructive sickness....
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by mantraa: 11:00am On Aug 05, 2013
I pray that Allah wul cure you from this destructive sickness

I pray that Sango will cure you from your destructive sickness.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by UyiIredia(m): 1:19am On Aug 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

You write as if you are dropping some real intellectual gems. Unfortunately, what you wrote in bold is the biggest unscientific, pseudoscientific nonsense I have ever read in my life.

Metaphysics is philosophy and not natural science.

The scientific method, logic and causality are METAPHYSICAL concepts undergirding science. Those concepts aren't empirically verified but they are the means by which we carry out any empirical analysis. My point was on how a basis thing necessary to science (consciousness and pre-requisite intellect) is itself in fact metaphysical.
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by Nobody: 5:24am On Aug 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

The scientific method, logic and causality are METAPHYSICAL concepts undergirding science. Those concepts aren't empirically verified but they are the means by which we carry out any empirical analysis. My point was on how a basis thing necessary to science (consciousness and pre-requisite intellect) is itself in fact metaphysical.

The easiest way to debunk your nonsense is to ask for proof. Give an example of metaphysical concepts guidingn science
Re: Why I Raise My Children Without God by UyiIredia(m): 2:55pm On Aug 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

The easiest way to debunk your nonsense is to ask for proof. Give an example of metaphysical concepts guidingn science

I already stated them. Causality, Logic and the scientific method.

(1) (2) (Reply)

80 Favorite Bible Verses You will Surely Fall In Love With / 7 Important Steps Of The Christian Wedding Ceremony / Why Sexual Lust Is A Sin And How To Overcome It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.