Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,828 members, 7,802,652 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates (21609 Views)

In Cape Town, Many Black South Africans Feel Unwelcome / Putin Threatens World War 3, Says Russia Could Invade Europe Within Two Days / Cape Town; In A Divided City, Many Blacks See Echoes Of White Superiority (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 03, 2013
In the street battle for supremacy between man and baboon, it can only be said that both sides are using guerrilla tactics.

For the baboons it means swarming SAS style up the sheer sides of blocks of flats, prising open windows and plundering anything that is inside. Usually they just want food, but sometimes a flapping set of net curtains or a child’s cuddly toy bear can provide some added entertainment.

For the humans, the weapons of choice – given that their enemy is a protected species – tend to be paintball guns and pepper sprays. They have the momentary effect of driving the baboons away, but hunger and sheer nerve always bring them back.

To survive, they trawl through waste bins, loiter at rubbish dumps, steal from shops and markets and prowl around the picnic sites. Some are such practised scavengers that they know exactly when the rubbish carts will be arriving with fresh supplies at the dump.

While some people don’t give a monkey’s about their vagrant neighbours even leaving out food for them, others go ape just at the thought of them.

In the suburb of Scarborough, a woman screams at the pair of baboons sitting casually on the roof of her house munching hunks of pilfered brown bread.

‘No-one understands what is happening here! This is the complete nightmare’, she yells, explaining that a baboon recently snatched shopping from her daughter’s hands. ‘She is completely traumatised,’ she adds. ‘It is not even safe to leave the house. And no-one does anything about it.’

A neighbour hurls a futile stick at them – but they carry on munching. ‘I hate them,’ he says.
Not far away in Main Street, employees at a safari company have just discovered what happens if you go away for the week-end and leave a window open.

A group of baboons led by a male called Moby has left a trail of destruction in the staff kitchen. First target was the fridge where every packet has been opened, investigated and eaten. The menu runs to bread, pasta, cheese, peppers, eggs, carrots, tuna and corn.

‘We are sitting on a time bomb. Something has got to happen,’ he says. ‘In the Spring they eat the young shoots, in summer the grapes. If the nature conservation authority would allow it, we would shoot them all. Every one of them.’

But many people admire the ingenuity of the baboons and are prepared to rub along with customers who never pay for anything. At a small supermarket between the settlements of Welcome Glen and Da Gama Park, a baboon called Quandi calls in once or twice a week. ‘He goes directly to the fruit stand and takes a few kilos of bananas,’ says the manageress. ‘Then he runs past the check out to the shelves with the crisps. He seems to prefer cheese and onion.’

SOURCE

2 Likes

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by drnoel: 5:23pm On Aug 03, 2013
what are thez waiting for, their meat taste like bush meat. Look at meat wasting there and these people are shying away

2 Likes

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by antartica(m): 5:27pm On Aug 03, 2013
drnoel:

what are thez waiting for, their meat taste like bush meat. Look at meat wasting there and these people are shying away

It is not everybody that is so desperate for meat to the point of eating baboons.Those that crave for meat like that are the incapable that can't domesticate mere chickens,sheep,cows or goats in abundance.

5 Likes

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by sammy329(m): 6:53pm On Aug 03, 2013
It remind me of Rise of planet of Ape

4 Likes

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by YoshiMaster: 7:19pm On Aug 03, 2013
sammy329: It remind me of Rise of planet of Ape

I knew it wouldn't take long for the Ape Revolution to begin after they watched their brothers in that movie.

After I watched that movie with my Monkey, I told him to go back to his cage, and he shouted, [size=14pt]NO![/size]

45 Likes

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Jakumo(m): 7:21pm On Aug 03, 2013
Please do NOT panic, residents of Cape Town. Your beautiful city will NOT be re-named Ape Town, regardless of what mischief those baboons perpetrate.

Investigations are ongoing. We have a number of suspects in custody already. We have PARADED them before the press. They are making useful statements as we beat the crap out of them. You can see from their faces that they are up to no good, and that they know the Fat Lady is about to sing for them, but I appeal for calm. Plese go about your normal business.

Once again, I can assure you that under my watch, Cape Town will NOT become Ape Town.

34 Likes

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Jakumo(m): 7:25pm On Aug 03, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

I knew it wouldn't take long for the Ape Revolution to begin after they watched their brothers in that movie.

After I watched that movie with my Monkey, I told him to go back to his cage, and he shouted, [size=14pt]NO![/size]

NO NO, Hell NO. I ain't goin' in no cage. Yeah, you heard me right, that chit is OVER. YOU get in the muffugin cage.

Ha ha ha ha. The revolution has begun. Just don't SPANK the monkey ha ha ha. That will never solve the problem.

1 Like

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 03, 2013
drnoel:

And wonder why this boy had to quote the whole thread just to pass his weightless point across.
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 03, 2013

A group of baboons led by a male called Moby
has left a trail of destruction in the staff
kitchen. First target was the fridge where
every packet has been opened, investigated
and eaten. The menu runs to bread, pasta,
cheese, peppers, eggs, carrots, tuna and corn.

Now the quoted above got me cracked up. grin
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Jakumo(m): 7:55pm On Aug 03, 2013
Cain't NOBODY phuck with MOBY. He da man. He be opening, investigatin' and eatin', and there ain't nothin y'all can do about it.

Go 'head on Moby, with yo bad self. I pity the fool who try to stop you, cause you's a baaaaad muffugh. And that ain't no lie.

3 Likes

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by baby124: 7:57pm On Aug 03, 2013
some animals know where to try this. In Nigeria where angels fear to tread, a new dish would have emerged to make these wild animals extinct. Its cute until they turn deadly. What country is this?

8 Likes

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Ishilove: 8:03pm On Aug 03, 2013
Jakumo: Cain't NOBODY phuck with MOBY. He da man. He be opening, investigatin' and eatin', and there ain't nothin y'all can do about it.

Go 'head on Moby, with yo bad self. I pity the fool who try to stop you, cause you's a baaaaad muffugh. And that ain't no lie.
Jakumo, you no go use laf kee person hia. cheesy cheesy

Smh
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by born2boink(m): 9:23pm On Aug 03, 2013
Shebi dem dey pursue nigerians, bamboo will takeover. If they can't live with human, they will live with monkeys

1 Like

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Nobody: 9:24pm On Aug 03, 2013
baby_123: some animals know where to try this. In Nigeria where angels fear to tread, a new dish would have emerged to make these wild animals extinct. Its cute until they turn deadly. What country is this?
Lol, South Africa

1 Like

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by bebe2(f): 9:28pm On Aug 03, 2013
cheesy cheesy cheesy better in real life than dream o
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by propzncribz: 9:29pm On Aug 03, 2013
See obasanjos cousins

1 Like

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by DANILSA(m): 9:29pm On Aug 03, 2013
They will soon be soaked in blood.
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 03, 2013
Ok
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Inoknowbook: 9:30pm On Aug 03, 2013
They were there before the humans came and destroyed their habitats, now they're back to take over what rightly belongs to them. Let the humans learn to co-exist with them, as simple as that!

2 Likes

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by ritux: 9:30pm On Aug 03, 2013
Omo see gobe...this na serious matter
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Policewoman(f): 9:31pm On Aug 03, 2013
Someone should shoot em. Which one be say they are protected?
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by horchukoh(m): 9:33pm On Aug 03, 2013
Who let dem out laughing grin grin grin
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by mcevans1(m): 9:33pm On Aug 03, 2013
. grin grin
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Blackvampire(m): 9:34pm On Aug 03, 2013
drnoel:
Which part of the zoo were u brought out from how u be thinking of eating baboon of our animals...are u dat hungry...gosh some people can never be civilised
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Nightshift(m): 9:34pm On Aug 03, 2013
Cape Town can hire the services of Nigeria's Gov. Fashola; he can help deport the baboons to perhaps Mozambique cool

3 Likes

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 03, 2013
I need to move to that cape town for real, and show them how it is done here. I go do them like bush rat!
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by coogar: 9:35pm On Aug 03, 2013
surely, this must be a joke.......baboons are fighting for the rights of nigerians that were discriminated against in cape town!

1 Like

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Numerouuuno: 9:35pm On Aug 03, 2013
I no know book:
They were there before the humans came and destroyed their habitats, now they're back to take over what rightly belongs to them. Let the humans learn to co-exist with them, as simple as that!
who tell you say u N̶̲̥̅̊☺ know book,♍Ɣ padi u sabi book wella
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by Rooneyboy(m): 9:36pm On Aug 03, 2013
If na naija, the hunter (baboons) would have long been the haunted.
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by berryldilty(f): 9:37pm On Aug 03, 2013
*obasanjo's voice* I dey laugh
Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by mohammedmagnus: 9:37pm On Aug 03, 2013
Just imagining some1 having sex in der estate and d baboons just jump in

2 Likes

Re: Baboons Invade Cape Town Housing Estates by amiskurie(m): 9:38pm On Aug 03, 2013
U GO FEAR NINJA WARRIORS!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet Kate Middleton's Royal Baby Number Three (photos) / Israel Attack: How Elon Musk’s X Removed Hamas-linked Accounts Over EU Law / Ukraine: Russia Must Not Win, We Will Send Ground Troops If Necessary - Macron

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.