Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,841 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? (24209 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Davo93(m): 5:55pm On Aug 03, 2013
What do we gain by supporting ASUU strike?
By Solanke Lagerback, UNAAB

I was dissapointed with a press statement by ASUU ,LAUTECH chapter hailing the Governors of Osun and Oyo for appointing Governing Council members for LAUTECH and calling on them to appoint other principal officers of the school. It is quite unfortunate that ASUU, LAUTECH chapter and NATIONAL has not deemed it fit to condemn the unholy appointment of Prof. Wale Omole as LAUTECH Chairman, Governing Council and Pro-Chancellor. It will be recalled that the students of Obafemi Awolowo University and her alumni in time past has tiredlessly alledged Prof. Wale Omole as the masterminder of the brutal killing of OAU union leaders and students in the 1999 cult attack that left the likes of George Iwilade a.k.a Afrika, Eviano Ekelemu and others dead. Students are protesting this appointment (both on the media and on the streets) and yet ASUU has maintained a criminal silence on the issue.

Students support ASUU to get improved allowances from the Government, yet it is this same ASUU members that assault and harass students; it is this same ASUU members that sits on SDC committees that recommend expulsion and suspension of student activists. It is the same ASUU members that fail to teach us in class and rather give us materials to read up. It is the same ASUU members that fail students that do not do their biddings. When they need to get increased pay and they go on strike, should we then continue to support them?

In what way does ASUU benefits students? What do
Student Unions gain from ASUU? Solidarity with a union should be a symbiotic relationship (i support you, you support me later).

ASUU needs to be told the truth that they are the major oppressors of students and so they need to change their behaviour and actions toward students. We want to see an ASUU whose members will display a high sense of comradeship by supporting students in the face of oppression. If and when ASUU get what they need from the Federal Government, they SHOULD NOT deny students of what we need from management of our universities. They need to be told this bitter truth. Ahmandla Awetu!

Culled from GREAT IFE STUDENTS' UNION facebook group page

18 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 1:30am On Aug 04, 2013
Do u think they care about you?

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by sholay2011(m): 1:30am On Aug 04, 2013
*Sighs heavily*

BTW, second to ******* goddamnit!! angry
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by BabaAlabi: 1:33am On Aug 04, 2013
Hmmmn

3 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by donMecuzy: 1:33am On Aug 04, 2013
Hmmmmm

Politics
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by pillzthadrugz(m): 1:33am On Aug 04, 2013
Who is ASUU is he a fool or half.... its name sounds emty to me...... 100billion and they are still forming JAMES BOND

1 Like

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by mankind80(m): 1:39am On Aug 04, 2013
ASUU IS A SECRET CULT #UNKNOWN TO MANY!!!

1 Like

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by sholay2011(m): 1:42am On Aug 04, 2013
mankind80: ASUU IS A SECRET CULT #UNKNOWN TO MANY!!!
Eh eh eh oh...dem don come with dia conspiracy theories again oh. You for talk say ASUU na academic branch of Illuminati. grin grin

9 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by sunny63(m): 1:43am On Aug 04, 2013
ASUU is fighting 4 student intrest like rebuilding of dilapidated building,equiping d laboratory n making Nigeria universities 2 d world standard

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Odunharry(m): 1:43am On Aug 04, 2013
hope this get to d chairman..
And d membrs are lecturers of unis.some of them are saddist and are gud at frustratng student effort,anyway God pass those set of lecturers...

I hope dy call off d strike soon

1 Like

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by FILEBE(m): 1:47am On Aug 04, 2013
Davo93: What do we gain by supporting ASUU strike?
By Solanke Lagerback, UNAAB

I was dissapointed with a press statement by ASUU ,LAUTECH chapter hailing the Governors of Osun and Oyo for appointing Governing Council members for LAUTECH and calling on them to appoint other principal officers of the school. It is quite unfortunate that ASUU, LAUTECH chapter and NATIONAL has not deemed it fit to condemn the unholy appointment of Prof. Wale Omole as LAUTECH Chairman, Governing Council and Pro-Chancellor. It will be recalled that the students of Obafemi Awolowo University and her alumni in time past has tiredlessly alledged Prof. Wale Omole as the masterminder of the brutal killing of OAU union leaders and students in the 1999 cult attack that left the likes of George Iwilade a.k.a Afrika, Eviano Ekelemu and others dead. Students are protesting this appointment (both on the media and on the streets) and yet ASUU has maintained a criminal silence on the issue.

Students support ASUU to get improved allowances from the Government, yet it is this same ASUU members that assault and harass students; it is this same ASUU members that sits on SDC committees that recommend expulsion and suspension of student activists. It is the same ASUU members that fail to teach us in class and rather give us materials to read up. It is the same ASUU members that fail students that do not do their biddings. When they need to get increased pay and they go on strike, should we then continue to support them?

In what way does ASUU benefits students? What do
Student Unions gain from ASUU? Solidarity with a union should be a symbiotic relationship (i support you, you support me later).

ASUU needs to be told the truth that they are the major oppressors of students and so they need to change their behaviour and actions toward students. We want to see an ASUU whose members will display a high sense of comradeship by supporting students in the face of oppression. If and when ASUU get what they need from the Federal Government, they SHOULD NOT deny students of what we need from management of our universities. They need to be told this bitter truth. Ahmandla Awetu!

Culled from GREAT IFE STUDENTS' UNION facebook group page

okay. We will tell them.

1 Like

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Standing5(m): 2:08am On Aug 04, 2013
In a bid to impress, these OAU fake activist now look stupid. Them no sabi pass foolish Aluta! Aluta for the sake of it.

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by sholay2011(m): 2:14am On Aug 04, 2013
Standing5: In a bid to impress, these OAU fake activist now look stupid. Them no sabi pass foolish Aluta! Aluta for the sake of it.
What's wrong with this one? undecided
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Davo93(m): 2:23am On Aug 04, 2013
Prof Corruption: This is what you get when the ill informed is given a platform to voice sophisticated ignorance.

ASUU is what it is: Academic Staff Union of Universities. It's meant for lecturers, not students. They protect their interests, not students.

What's happening to NANS, National Association of Nigerian Students? Instead of holding a clueless government that was not forced into an agreement with ASUU but later reneged to enforce an agreement she willingly endorsed, these lackeys are here demonising ASUU for protecting its interests. ASUU members also have children who attend universities in Nigeria but your clueless leaders send their wards to England, US, Canada to have the best of education.

Why not? Call a mass demonstration against ASUU, demonise them as evil! Then organise a million man march to endorse GEJ. Youth Earnestly Ask for GEJ, YEAG.

Animals.
But can't some Nairalanders address issues without using swear words? The problem i see with your comment is perhaps you are narrow minded and not informed. Let me also add that you are too politically minded to forget what the writer was addressing. I need not to start an arguement here because the Great Ife students are known for their gallant struggle against oppresion in the whole nation except we want to be biased. If you will remember, this same Prof. Omole was to be made minister during Obasanjo regime but was withdrawn due to the charges pressed by the alumni of the school who knew what day July 10, 1999 was on OAU campus.

I have to also educate your ignorance here Prof. Corruption that national bodies like ASUU are not only supposed to be bothered by what is going to enrich their pocket alone. Have you ever asked yourselve why the likes of PENGASSON will go on solidarity strike on some issues? This is because they have the say due to what they hold. So also ASUU, they should display a sense of comradeship as the speaker rightly said to help students in the face of oppression since the students have done all what to takes to support their cause.

6 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Opey4luv(m): 2:36am On Aug 04, 2013

1 Like

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Djtm(m): 2:56am On Aug 04, 2013
Well, If they do not get what they want, they'll simply continue to give out course outlines and expect you to write something down during exams. BTW, the writer sounds silly! So many irrelevant points! Do you know what those 'guys' are fighting for apart from the age and salary increase? And to think the crap's from Ife!

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by onufidel(m): 3:53am On Aug 04, 2013
Do u even know what they are striking for? [i][/i]I laff in Spanish
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by onufidel(m): 3:54am On Aug 04, 2013
Do u know what u are saying ?
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:58am On Aug 04, 2013
For now, students are still the grass that suffers when two elephants (ASUU & FG) fights.

Last Bullet:

Truely, after ASUU get back what they want from the FG, you ll still see those hopeless & futureless behaviour from lecturers. They are not punctual to class, they lecture like tired souls. They ll only give course outlines & expect you to have distinction. Only few of them are worth it. What about the University management, na to chop & chop fees. Expecially State Universities. Spits on
red sand,

enough said.

3 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 4:09am On Aug 04, 2013
grin
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Jakeattah(m): 4:12am On Aug 04, 2013
Na wa o, please you should know that ASUU is a large body not just restricted to a school or geo-political zone so please dont judge the whole national ASUU based on the crime of few of its members. Secondly, they dont go on strikes to diss students, they go to fight for their rights as that is the only way they can get the attention of the government. I know its hard being delayed at home as a sudent but you should try and get more facts to what ASUU are striking for

5 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by ReubenAbati: 4:16am On Aug 04, 2013
Lack of sleep.
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Slickest(m): 4:59am On Aug 04, 2013
Go learn hand work.....school is fuqed up.....nobody cares abt u....2015 is what they al care about......
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by lymelyte(m): 5:08am On Aug 04, 2013
[ASUU,should know that FG cannot meet thier need 100%. They better know that.Are the lecturer giving thier all(100%)? Even in science,there are some quantities that are neglible which definately means 100% cannot be acheived in any situation in life.ASUU should accept whatever improved offer the govt has given to them

4 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Davo93(m): 5:19am On Aug 04, 2013
Reuben.Abati:
What kind of question is this!

Sounds more like 'what do we stand to gain from demanding our rights from the Government?'

When the subsidy wars started, people were in unison about the whole thing. Then after some time, these same questions began to float around.

'What we stand to gain from these wars self?'
'Shey hunger no go kill person like this?'

Why is it that Nigerians as so scared of demanding their rights? Shey na poverti, or na over sabi?

Why do we give up so quickly and easily?

Chai!
Did this one even read the post

1 Like

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 5:29am On Aug 04, 2013
ASUU or no ASUU I'll still make it in life

3 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Walexz02(m): 5:34am On Aug 04, 2013
They should first of all call off the strike! angry
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by cardoso111(m): 5:39am On Aug 04, 2013
OkikI oluwa seem not getting any servicer from his lecturers ! Too bad !! Com to a better school!
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 5:43am On Aug 04, 2013
Davo93: But can't some Nairalanders address issues without using swear words? The problem i see with your comment is perhaps you are narrow minded and not informed. Let me also add that you are too politically minded to forget what the writer was addressing. I need not to start an arguement here because the Great Ife students are known for their gallant struggle against oppresion in the whole nation except we want to be biased. If you will remember, this same Prof. Omole was to be made minister during Obasanjo regime but was withdrawn due to the charges pressed by the alumni of the school who knew what day July 10, 1999 was on OAU campus.

I have to also educate your ignorance here Prof. Corruption that national bodies like ASUU are not only supposed to be bothered by what is going to enrich their pocket alone. Have you ever asked yourselve why the likes of PENGASSON will go on solidarity strike on some issues? This is because they have the say due to what they hold. So also ASUU, they should display a sense of comradeship as the speaker rightly said to help students in the face of oppression since the students have done all what to takes to support their cause.

Nonsense! IF Omole committed any offence at all, he should be prosecuted and if found wanting sanctioned appropriately. What's the essence of this your solidarity when there's no law barring Omole from holding public position? Is Osun or Oyo government breaking any law in appointing Omole to his present position? If your answer is not in affirmative, then on what basis should Omole be dropped? Oh, he should be dropped because Great Ife students don't like him. Is that really the ridiculous line you're pushing?

IF PENGASSON or NLC goes on solidarity strike with ASUU, is that not understandable? ASUU had a pact with government-a contractual binding agreement-but government has refused to honor the agreement. If government is allowed to do it to ASUU, why not NLC or others? How do we categorize your own solidarity to stop Omole from being appointed to any position at all? Why is the campaign "stop appointment of Omole" and not "prosecute Omole" if indeed he's the vilest demon in Nigeria? Is Omole above the law or does he have immunity against prosecution? The government should listen to Ife students but ignore the ones who recommended Omole for the position? Why? why? why?

How's ASUU fighting to enrich the pockets of its members? They should be working for free? Or they don't have right to demand for living wages? Or is it illegal to go on strike in Nigeria?

Half baked graduates.

4 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Siraleeyu(m): 6:05am On Aug 04, 2013
the op shouldn't have dragged the whole national body in dis issue....the truth is both d ASUU and d govt have their negative side......ASUU are too greedy and how are we even sure that if d govt honour the agreement dat d funds will b channel to wat they (ASUU) said d fund will b use for?? After all majority of d lecturers are not doin well in class, and on d govt part, is not dat they care abt d strike because dey have notin to luz and is not dat dis money ASUU is demandin is not available but dey hv d feelins dat d fund is so huge to b invested in education sector. But embazlin 300bn in campainin nd riggin election is neva a problem.
There is need for Nigerian to rise nd bring an end to dis mess,
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Jibson999(m): 6:10am On Aug 04, 2013
I wonna use dis opportunity 2 thank ASUU for letting me observe Ramadan 4 my Papa House......kai I for don lepa finish 4 dat yeye skul

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ikpeazu Gifts Cars To Abia Teachers, Applauds Commitment, Dedication (Photos) / How Do I Get My Certificate Or My Money Back, Please Advise Me? / UNIBEN Sets Up Panel To Probe 'Aggressive Malpractice' Video Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.