Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,590 members, 7,770,538 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:30 AM

Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children (23828 Views)

No INSULT Please.... 19 Years Still Bedwetting... / At What Age / Class Did You Stop Bedwetting? / 40 And Bedwetting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Abiyamo: 10:32am On Aug 04, 2013
12 Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children

The dawn is winding down. The sun is about to peep over the horizon and the neighbour's cock cannot hold its patience any longer. It is a new day in a serene African city but one child is about to start the day in a very nasty manner. Fiam! A steaming hot slap lands with the thud of thunder on the child's tender buttocks. Suddenly, from the wonderful land of dreams full of fair fairies and mischievous tortoises, the poor child is rudely shaken, woken up to a stark reality. As she looks up, half-asleep, half-awake, in the dim lantern light of the room, she sees the shadow of her angry mother. 'Atole (bedwetter)! Go and dry your mat outside!', Mama yelled, not forgetting to add a well-timed knock which sent some extra trickles of urine down the thighs of the confused child. Knowing fully well that she will not have peace for the rest of that day and with eyes full of salty tears just about to drop, she goes to dry her tattered sleeping mat, dripping with urine...

This is the plight of countless Nigerian children. They are beaten. Abused. Tortured. 'Disciplined'. Ostracized. Discriminated against. Taken for exorcism. Jeered at. Booed at. Sneered at. All because of what is a natural developmental delay -bedwetting, and absolutely no fault of theirs. The most unfortunate aspect of the whole scenario is that those who carry out the 'punishment' are the parents or caregivers who are supposed to protect, shower love and attention upon the innocent child. However, when you see some parents beat their kids because they turned the bedroom into an Ogunpa River overnight, you will forgive those who carried out the Spanish Inquisition.

Children have really suffered on top dis mata. Over time, kids have been subjected to horrendous and undignifying treatment because of titoole. In the past, one remedy was to dry the comb of a cock and scatter it over the enuretic's bed. As late as the mid-1800s, another 'treatment' was to injure the child's sacral region. Kai! This piece is specially written for parents with children who bedwet, it is for us to rub minds, correct some misconceptions, and hopefully, never raise a finger on that your lovely son or daughter again. The mat must have dried now, let's spread it, and have a chat. cheesy

1. WHAT IS BEDWETTING?
Also referred to as nocturnal enuresis, nighttime urinary incontinence or sleepwetting, bedwetting is an episodic form of urinary incontinence while asleep. It occurs after the age at which the child is expected to have full bladder control (over urination). Urologists at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) have pegged this at five years. It is the most common childhood urologic complaint in the United States and one of the most frequently addressed cases in paediatric wards across the globe.

2. ARE THERE TYPES?
Yes. There are two types: primary and secondary. Primary nocturnal enuresis is when urinary continence at night has NEVER been achieved while the secondary type is when nocturnal dryness has been achieved for at least 6 months.

3. WHY DO KIDS BEDWET?
Okay, carefully read this part. Your body ensures that you stay dry at night in two main ways: by ensuring that urine production at night is decreased and triggering your ability to wake up when the bladder is full. For a child to remain dry, he or she must fully develop these two capabilities. And that is where the issue is. Kids gain these capabilities at different ages. For instance, there is a hormone called the antidiuretic hormone (which reduces amount of urine produced from the kidneys into the bladder overnight) but antidiuretic hormone is not produced at birth until the child is about two years to six. Some kids do not even start producing the hormone until they reach puberty. So you see, beating them or blaming your in-laws or village witches is plain nonsense.

Usually, for boys, bedwetting stops at around the age of seven while the girls can achieve the same at the age of six. But by the age of 10, virtually all of them have already stopped bedwetting. It is during this period that many Nigerian kids go to Hell and return, in the hands of their parents and siblings. Bedwetting is part of the normal growth process and it is only in a small percentage (5-10%) that it is caused by a particular medical condition. In an overwhelming majority of the cases, it is as physiological as puberty even if its exact cause remains a mystery. #RogerThat.

However, it must also be pointed out that some other predisposing factors have also been identified. These include constipation, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), caffeine (which increases urine production), sleepwalking, stress, improper toilet training, urinary tract infections and anatomical deformities such as small bladders. There are also some psychological causes such as death of a close family member, sexual abuse or even bullying. Parents, be observant for these are perilous times.

4.IS IT NORMAL FOR MY CHILD TO BEDWET?
Yes. Nocturnal enuresis is normal for a vast majority of children and it is just a neurological developmental delay which will eventually disappear on its own. In most cases, bedwetting is not as a result of any psychological or even physical problem with your child. It is just part of growing up and will sort out itself with time. You should only be worried and go for regular checks when there are infections, pain during urination, blood in urine, discoloured urine, smelly urine, bladder abnormalities or when the child suffers from systemic diseases like diabetes.

5. MY SONS SEEM TO BEDWET MORE THAN THE GIRLS, IS THIS OKAY?
Yes. Boys are three times more likely to bedwet than the little sisis in the house.

6. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO?
Yes. As a matter of fact, things boku wey you fit do. Owing to the fact that bedwetting is a developmental delay, your focus as a parent should be on ensuring that your child does not become emotionally damaged (some kids are really battered at this stage and lose all sense of self-esteem, affecting them even into adulthood, please note this). You are to provide maximum psychological support in addition to making sure he/she stops the bedwetting as soon as possible. In that vein, there are various measures that can be taken, (consult with your doctor before embarking on any). Standard intervention methods include:

-Pharmacological agents: There are drugs that can help with controlling the urination, and they include desmopressin and tricyclic antidepressants (never embark on self-medication).

-Bedwetting alarms):
[img]http://www..com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/DD1_compressed.jpg[/img]
Just as the name implies, a bedwetting alarm is an electronic device and it goes off once the kid starts to urinate and moisture is detected. There are wearable, pad-type and wireless bedwetting alarms. With time, the alarm helps the brain to condition itself into recognizing the bladder’s need to be emptied. A bedwetting alarm is also called an enuresis alarm. I am not too sure of its preponderance in the Nigerian society but it can be purchased online and if it is not available in stores, that should be a good opportunity for the business-minded.

-You also need to teach correct toilet manners but be careful, it should not be too early or too late. Consult with your doctor on this.

-Another thing you can actually do is NOTHING. Just wait and observe your kids. Most of them outgrow it anyway, without any intervention.

7. I PUNISH MY KIDS FOR BEDWETTING, WILL IT WORK?
No. Just as all the Federal Government's efforts to fix PHCN or the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway have not worked, you are just wasting your time punishing your child for sleepwetting. I am not even bothered about your hand paining you after beating the child, my worry is with the deep emotional scar and psychological injury that you leave behind. Experts have said that punishment of any form also interferes with the treatment or any therapeutic regimen that the child has been subjected to, worsening the whole matter. I know it is stressful being a parent in Nigeria but venting your anger and frustration on the poor kids is not the way to go. Registering at the nearest boxing club is a better idea. Maybe you'll win Olympic gold for us one day...lol! Biko, patience and understanding are very important when dealing with a bedwetting kid.

8. DOES BEDWETTING MEAN MY CHILD IS SICK, ILL OR SOMETHING?
Not necessarily. It is just in about 5-10%, as stated earlier on, that nocturnal enuresis is a sign of another underlying medical condition.

9. DOES IT RUN IN THE FAMILY?
Yes. Studies have shown that there are some hereditary factors responsible for nocturnal enuresis. Parents who bedwetted as kids transfer the genes to their children. Genes on chromosomes 13q and 12q have been identified in this transfer. So, you see na? LOL!

10. MY CHILD IS A TEENAGER AND STILL BEDWETS.
Hmmm...this is a bit thorny. A December 2002 issue of the British Journal of Urology showed that nocturnal enuresis in the adolescent is a significant problem and treatment can be difficult for those above the age of 18, and in some cases, some may have to cope with the case for the rest of their lives, even into their old age. For those in this category, all hope is not lost as there are drugs like desmopressin that can be administered. It is really pathetic to see the way Nigerian movies (Yollywood abi na Yoruba movies are particularly guilty of this) depict enuretic adolescents. They are depicted as being spiritually tormented (nonsense) and taken to babalawos who will tell them to confess if they fought with or abused someone who placed the 'curse' on them (more nonsense). Seek professional and modern treatment for your child.

11. WHY YOU NEED TO HANDLE THIS WITH WISDOM.
Many parents have unwittingly damaged the psychological profile of their kids because of the very ignorant and egbonriri way of handling their bedwetting cases. You need to realize that this is a very sensitive issue and that it can compromise parent-child relationship, sibling-sibling relationship, affect your marriage, lead to a feeling loss of confidence in your own parental skills, loss of self-confidence and self-esteem (which can push them into the wrong hands) in your child or even complicate their sexual relationships later on in life. So you really need to be serious and responsible with this. Bedwetting is not the end of life and there are measures that can be taken. And please note: that your child is bedwetting does not mean you are a failure as a parent. It is not your fault but it becomes your fault if you do not handle it well.

12.I AM GUILTY OF PUNISHING MY CHILD UNFAIRLY, NOW WHAT CAN BE DONE?
Like the pension thief who stole billions and was given a pat on the back, I also tell you to go home and sin no more...lol! Do the right thing. Just do it.

Signing out with Omawumi's Warn Yourself ft.Wizkid....lol! Enjoy your day and share this piece with loved ones!

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
http://www..com/12-tips-for-parents-with-bedwetting-children/

NB: Special thanks to the Mods for helping with the modification.

29 Likes

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by chygoz3(m): 12:22pm On Aug 04, 2013
Nice write up. I'm currently building a site about bedwetting. it'll come online soon.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by ikecaesar(m): 12:26pm On Aug 04, 2013
am goin 2 use dis tips on mt sister hope she stops

1 Like

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 04, 2013
I remember when I used to bedwet embarassed

I used to hide the bedsheets embarassed embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 04, 2013
Best nat to flog the bedwetting spirit out of the child
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by koolet: 12:30pm On Aug 04, 2013
Culd remember my usual dream then was me peeing by the road side..so ill confortably ease maself cos i do enjoy the urinating.. But unfortunately ill just wake up to see ma Bed soaked wit my own pisss as time goes on i became afraid of peeing coz ill make sure itz not a dream till i stoped bedwetting... Tins were funny then cheesy

15 Likes

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Louis007: 12:32pm On Aug 04, 2013
What abt Wet drms? grin

1 Like

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by lyfe(m): 12:32pm On Aug 04, 2013
koolet: Culd remember me dreamt peeing by the road side..so ill confortably ease maself cos i do enjoy the urinating.. But unfortunately ill just wake up to see ma Bed soaked wit my own@

Guilty too
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by luvinhubby(m): 12:36pm On Aug 04, 2013
Rityben: Best nat to flog the bedwetting spirit out of the child
As dem take flog ya own commot abi?
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by kenjudy(m): 12:41pm On Aug 04, 2013
Louis007: What abt Wet drms? grin

Must u comment? What did ur pastor preach about today?
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 04, 2013
luvinhubby:
As dem take flog ya own commot abi?
My dear if I gist u the story eh, u go understand y I don keep cane for dat kind pikin wey feel say him go make me dry bed.
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Midecuc(m): 12:49pm On Aug 04, 2013
I like this write up, you are a good .

3 Likes

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Elem1: 12:52pm On Aug 04, 2013
Long article
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 04, 2013
the most effective tip for a child that bedwets is to reduce H2O consumption towards bedtime.
also make sure to urinate before sleep.
and parent could wake child to urinate in the middle of the night.
with these measures, parents can manage bedwetting until children will most def outgrow bedwetting.

9 Likes

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 04, 2013
adaobi123: I remember when I used to bedwet embarassed

I used to hide the bedsheets embarassed embarassed

till now shocked

1 Like

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 04, 2013
lucenzo:

till now shocked

NOO. When I was little......
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:28pm On Aug 04, 2013
Some kids go through hell in Nija cos of dz. I v seen a place where the kids ll not be allowed to drink water after dinner in order to prevent bedwetting. Infact, countless of abuses where the parents didn't tackle the issue well.
Last Bullet:
So far, the best thread to hit the FP in August.
Nice one, .

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Sike(m): 1:35pm On Aug 04, 2013
Louis007: What abt Wet drms? grin
Just wake up and Dry it with that Nightmare.
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by elothaddi(m): 1:44pm On Aug 04, 2013
Nice one OP. I use to bedwet and I stopped it after secondary fully. The experience (boarding school) wasn't good at all. My kids won't expeirence same cos I will always help(waking them at night)and advice (drinking less, if not, none at all after 9pm) them.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Emperor5c(m): 1:54pm On Aug 04, 2013
i remember how i cld wake up vewi early in The morning turn my bed upside dwn, change my cloths n sleep as if nufin happnd...buh unfortunately am always bursted by d lingerin smell of d urine.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Caracta(f): 1:56pm On Aug 04, 2013
Yes. Boys are three times more likely to bedwet than the little sisis in the house

Oh...I see. That explains it then. Wonderful!
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by theozobby(m): 2:10pm On Aug 04, 2013
shame you couldn't grab anything from here.

Nice one bro thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by LoveAmaka88(f): 2:20pm On Aug 04, 2013
They killed this boy for wetting the bed. I couldn't imagine such cruelty. Five days without water: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/headlines/20110826-boy-who-died-of-dehydration-was-punished-for-wetting-bed.ece
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Rockyheight: 2:21pm On Aug 04, 2013
grin grin grin ;DAll the above listed techniques are OYIBO methods. The traditional method still remain the best. All the child needs to do before going to bed is to say goodnight to the grinding stone.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by bumdish: 2:34pm On Aug 04, 2013
elo thaddi: Nice one OP. I use to bedwet and I stopped it after secondary fully. The experience (boarding school) wasn't good at all. My kids won't expeirence same cos I will always help(waking them at night)and advice (drinking less, if not, none at all after 9pm) them.
Nice writeup, but the writer left out the aspect of training the child and building in some precautionary measure like the ones listed above. It could be an hormonal thing, agreed but we can not just retire efforts. Children needs to be trained to become the 'Boss of their own Body'. Peeing before bedtime, restricting a child's fluid intake before bed and covering the mattress with plastic are 3 basic things I remember mama did and they worked.
Some kids are very deep sleeper and some are lazy picking themselves up from sleep, training a child at the right time and in the proper way can not be over empathized.

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by SwTonia(f): 2:48pm On Aug 04, 2013
Xo no b only me,many are guilty of this 2,it nt funny oh i wasn't allow 2 slip in bed,i slip on mat,always spreading d mat 2 dry every mrn,even wen it cold i still on d mat. den c d bully 4rm neighbours nd siblings.was even given a name "pisser" hw i stop it i dnt knw bt it was always ma prayer request in every prayer meeting.
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by emtar(m): 2:55pm On Aug 04, 2013
THIS IS A GOOD WRITE-UP. PLEASE I WANT PEOPLE TO PRINT/LINK TO THIS POST SO THAT AFRICAN PARENTS/FATHERS/MOTHERS WILL HAVE ACCESS TO READ AND CHANGE THEIR MENTALITY TOWARDS BEATING THEIR INNOCENT KIDS

1 Like

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by dominique(f): 3:09pm On Aug 04, 2013

And what exactly do you intend to achieve by doing that? Pls do yourself a favour and go through the article.
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Noneroone(m): 3:21pm On Aug 04, 2013
koolet: Culd remember my usual dream then was me peeing by the road side..so ill confortably ease maself cos i do enjoy the urinating.. But unfortunately ill just wake up to see ma Bed soaked wit my own pisss as time goes on i became afraid of peeing coz ill make sure itz not a dream till i stoped bedwetting... Tins were funny then cheesy
so true about me then
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 04, 2013
Whatever happened to the traditional method: peeing in the 3 local stones used in cooking! Sounds funny to my ears when a neighbour said he stopped bedwetting afterwards.
Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by MizSammy(f): 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2013
My cousin was asked to pee in sand nd red pepper o boy d child stil soaked his bed dat nite. Nice post op

1 Like

Re: Tips For Parents With Bedwetting Children by Abiyamo: 4:05pm On Aug 04, 2013
No. I mentioned proper toilet training for your child, not even once. Maybe you missed it.
bumdish:
Nice writeup, but the writer left out the aspect of training the child and building in some precautionary measure like the ones listed above. It could be an hormonal thing, agreed but we can not just retire efforts. Children needs to be trained to become the 'Boss of their own Body'. Peeing before bedtime, restricting a child's fluid intake before bed and covering the mattress with plastic are 3 basic things I remember mama did and they worked.
Some kids are very deep sleeper and some are lazy picking themselves up from sleep, training a child at the right time and in the proper way can not be over empathized.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ice Bucket Challenge?! Naah. We Climb In Africa / Lagoon Of Death: Fears, Concerns As Many Nigerians Take To Suicide / NIMR SARS-CoV2 Molecular Assay (SIMA) COVID-19 Test-Kit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.