Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,851 members, 7,806,401 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Youwin Business Competition 2013 - Business (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Youwin Business Competition 2013 (389047 Views)

Tips For Youwin Business Competition For 2015 / Apllication For YOUWIN Business Competition Extended To January 21st, 2014 / Youwin Business Competition 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Rexyl(m): 7:50pm On Sep 26, 2014
Has this program paid its candidates or they are just hoping to make something out of it? It's like the requirement put in place to reimburse willing investors or fund their projects is not easy to meet. There has been lots of ups and downs and rigorous activities served to the participants. Getting free cash is not always easy and shouldn't be expected by anybody. Though it may come by chance and time.

Plan wisely
use your time wisely.
Have faith in success.
Have faith in the Creator of success.
Don't be discouraged.
Today‘s failure can serve as an encouragement to success on the other day
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by neksummi(m): 7:55pm On Sep 26, 2014
Rexyl: Has this program paid its candidates or they are just hoping to make something out of it? It's like the requirements put in place to reimburse willing investors or fund their projects is not easy to meet. There has been lots of ups and downs and rigorous activities served to the participants. Getting free cash is not always easy and shouldn't be expected by anybody. Though it may come by chance and time.
Plan wisely
use your time wisely.
Have faith in success.
Have faith in the Creator of success.
Don't be discouraged.
Today‘s failure can serve as a encouragement to success on the other day

The final result just came out on Tuesday the candidates haven't been paid yet.

House this is what I've decided to be doing for now to serve other people:
https://www.nairaland.com/1919507/struggling-make-money-online-30mins

I'll appreciate your comments on the thread. Thanks.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 26, 2014
obiscolly: Halleluyahh!! Finally!!!
I guess you made it, is your business online or offline?

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by dstan(m): 8:02pm On Sep 26, 2014
Well,my own summation from this their programme is that they don t have a place for people with "innovative ideas" contrary to the whole nature when it was started. I taught they were looking for "creative and innovative ideas" which with time will transform into a very profitable business and employ people. Rather,they have decided to select people who have chosen "everyday business" in which some people have even forged and lied about their T/Os. I have put it behind me now though,but I doubt if this govt can achieve the aim of this programme if they keep going about their selections this way.Those panel interviewers are suppose to be very learned business professionals and practitioners.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by obiscolly(m): 8:45pm On Sep 26, 2014
blink182: I guess you made it, is your business online or offline?

Yh I did! It's offline..
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 8:53pm On Sep 26, 2014
Did any online business make it?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 9:11pm On Sep 26, 2014
dstan: Well,my own summation from this their programme is that they don t have a place for people with "innovative ideas" contrary to the whole nature when it was started. I taught they were looking for "creative and innovative ideas" which with time will transform into a very profitable business and employ people. Rather,they have decided to select people who have chosen "everyday business" in which some people have even forged and lied about their T/Os. I have put it behind me now though,but I doubt if this govt can achieve the aim of this programme if they keep going about their selections this way.Those panel interviewers are suppose to be very learned business professionals and practitioners.
My brother this thought has been in my head. When I was rejected in the first place I was like 'how?'. I thought my presentation was horrible but now I know I was too innovative. My business may not become profitable in a long time but I am too innovative and in the future when people talk of the sector, I will always be mentioned as being the doyen.

For those who did not make it, like a friend of mine an alumni of the Havard Business School, he said 'create value and financing will locate you, value is the hardest thing to create and people invest when they see it'. The road to being an entrepreneur is the road less traveled but the rewards are mind boggling. At a point, you can virtually make money out of thin air.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 9:41pm On Sep 26, 2014
Deep talks....

Let me share a little assistance.

If you have an existing business in either of the four listed segments, please be informed that you have access to lending under the MSMEDF intervention funding from CBN. Interest rate is 9% per annum and can be for up to 5 years.

The businesses are:
Education
Manufacturing
Renewable Energy
Agriculture

Please no funny manipulation or trying to 'fit-in' non existent businesses or businesses without track record.

Collateral will be required.

In case you are interested, please let me know.... My time line for this is short.... I currently work in a bank with strong focus on SME business development.

Don't dull. Loan amount is up to N50m

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by chukwuka12: 10:09pm On Sep 26, 2014
@Medoty...I feel u. Its really painful, still remember some of ur contribution.. . pls never give up. Bounce back and do better. ... It can even be depressing.... Be strong bro

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by excelway(m): 10:23pm On Sep 26, 2014
@denn, on agriculture, hw long existence counts?(time duration, like how many years of existence)?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 10:32pm On Sep 26, 2014
blink182: My brother this thought has been in my head. When I was rejected in the first place I was like 'how?'. I thought my presentation was horrible but now I know I was too innovative. My business may not become profitable in a long time but I am too innovative and in the future when people talk of the sector, I will always be mentioned as being the doyen.

For those who did not make it, like a friend of mine an alumni of the Havard Business School, he said 'create value and financing will locate you, value is the hardest thing to create and people invest when they see it'. The road to being an entrepreneur is the road less traveled but the rewards are mind boggling. At a point, you can virtually make money out of thin air.
It goes beyond mere rhetorics my friend.... In my opinion, there was huge subjectivity in each panel. In fact it is the bane of the entire youwin selection process. In other words, a business plan that gain acclaim with a group of panel/markers can be seen by another as cheesy and out of taste. In fact we all have our orientations thus our biases... Additionally,.. since there is a benchmark in the number of awardees, it becomes expedient for many individuals even with top-notch business plans and innovative ideas to be disqualified thus you didnt win not necessarily because your plan/ presentation wasnt good enough but because there HAVE TO BE non-awardees

..... Joy unconfined for the awardees... congratulations

2 Likes

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 11:36pm On Sep 26, 2014
excelway: @denn, on agriculture, hw long existence counts?(time duration, like how many years of existence)?

I will give details in the morning...

Thanks
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by edundayo(m): 2:15am On Sep 27, 2014
It's the Lord's doing...it is marvelous in my sight, to Him be the Glory, Honour, Power and Majesty!!

My heart goes to all those who did not make it, please know that you are all winners; it makes me remember what one of the speakers said at the YouWiN training in Gombe; that he knows many people that didn't get the grant but are now doing far better than a lot of those he's been monitoring that got the grant, due largely to the training, resources and other funding opportunities created by YouWiN!

It's ideas that make wealth not money! You've the ideas; so you are a winner, sooner or later the funding will come along, as you continue to redefine and sharpen your ideas. In earlier editions, I think YouWiN conducted a seminar in which they invited other third party organizations that provides business funding, for candidates who were not selected as winners.

And please before we begin to discredit the YouWiN selection process at this point considering how transparent the it's been, also noting that quality assurance was provided by a reputable organization in UK. We should remember that all of us cannot be winners since the numbers that must be selected was far less than those that applied, not to mention the many 1st & 2nd edition winners that refused to comply with the programme terms by diverting the grant to unprofitable ventures...we all know the story; else there wouldn't have been a presentation/interview in the first place (I guess) and they wouldn't have had to be this strict with this edition. Also this edition was keenly contested and we have to realise it must not have been that easy for the selection panels too.

So, let's be good image makers for the YouWiN programme and continue to pray that it will be continued so that those that were not selected in this edition and other youths who were unable to apply, will have another chance.

You are a Winner! YES YOU ARE!!

4 Likes

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by CoolKizzy(m): 2:57am On Sep 27, 2014
Denn: Deep talks....

Let me share a little assistance.

If you have an existing business in either of the four listed segments, please be informed that you have access to lending under the MSMEDF intervention funding from CBN. Interest rate is 9% per annum and can be for up to 5 years.

The businesses are:
Education
Manufacturing
Renewable Energy
Agriculture

Please no funny manipulation or trying to 'fit-in' non existent businesses or businesses without track record.

Collateral will be required.

In case you are interested, please let me know.... My time line for this is short.... I currently work in a bank with strong focus on SME business development.

Don't dull. Loan amount is up to N50m

Thanks

I heard about this, a friend went for the seminar under amfin and for our cooperative, I have an existing business in the agric sector but no records where kept specifically because the business isn't registered, how do CBN deal with my kind?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by medoty: 9:02am On Sep 27, 2014
edundayo: It's the Lord's doing...it is marvelous in my sight,

And please before we begin to discredit the YouWiN selection process at this point considering how transparent the it's been, also noting that quality assurance was provided by a reputable organization in UK. We should remember that all of us cannot be winners since the numbers that must be selected was far less than those that applied, not to mention the many 1st & 2nd edition winners that refused to comply with the programme terms by diverting the grant to unprofitable ventures...we all know the story; else there wouldn't have been a presentation/interview in the first place (I guess) and they wouldn't have had to be this strict with this edition. Also this edition was keenly contested and we have to realise it must not have been that easy for the selection panels too.

So, let's be good image makers for the YouWiN programme and continue to pray that it will be continued so that those that were not selected in this edition and other youths who were unable to apply, will have another chance.

You are a Winner! YES YOU ARE!!
Please you should understand that nobody is trying to discredit YouWiN. Infact I have defended YouWiN if you check my previous posts and I still believe YouWiN is the most transparent and open program in recent history this notwithstanding there is subjectivity and human factors in the interview. Someone told me he knows the chairman of his panel and another member of his panel is his friend and classmate. He gist with them and cool down before the interview started. Of course you don't need to ask the outcome as he is successful. This kind of thing is just natural when there is physical contact. But in the YouWiN 1 and 2 Nobody knows you as your name will be removed only the Youwin ID will be used in making your concept. I will forever defend the program as long as it remains transparent. Kudos to GEJ and NOI

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by medoty: 9:10am On Sep 27, 2014
chukwuka12: @Medoty...I feel u. Its really painful, still remember some of ur contribution.. . pls never give up. Bounce back and do better. ... It can even be depressing.... Be strong bro
Thanks bro. I'm grateful
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by EKITI001: 11:47am On Sep 27, 2014
Note: Copy appropriately ............................. ITS PAINFUL TO LOOSE AT THIS POINT... LETS USE OUR LAST BREATH ON YOUWIN3 TO SEND THIS MESSAGES AND POST ON MR PRESIDENT INBOX AND FACEBOOK PAGE WALL via Goodluck Jonathan https://m.facebook.com/jonathangoodluck ... IT MAY WORK FOR US... ................................ His Excellency sir, I want to commend you for all the efforts you have made and you are making to make our country "Nigeria" a better place... You have really done well and you have shown us so many reasons why the good work should continue till 2019.. Sir, the purpose of writing this letter to you is to tell you about my observation concerning the youwin programme; especially on this 3rd edition which the result has just been made public. Youwin3 is quite different from the previous editions because: (i) it went through 3 selection stages. (2) All applicants that entered the second stage were mandated to register their businesses. (iii) All the candidates that qualified for the third stage were directed to travel down to a particular interview centre to defend their business plans. There were just 3 centres in the whole country ( Lagos, Enugu and Abuja). Here is my point Mr. President, the total of 6000 candidates that made it to second stage gained a business management training with certificates issued to them by YOUWIN. And in the third stage, a total of 2200-3000 candidates entered this stage with the fact that they have written an outstanding business plans. The interview was organized for them to prove if they wrote the business plans themselves or not. Apart from those who were disqualified at the registration stand for providing fake information and considered ineligible, so many new entrepreneur without existing businesses and management experiences have been able to prove that they wrote the business plans themselves.. But the result only favored those with existing businesses and those with management experiences. Which is not the description of the Youwin programme from the onset. Youwin is a business plan competition and it was not stated that they must have an existing businesses or management experiences before applying. This has now brought disappointment and depression to many young entrepreneurs after spending many nights cracking brain, spending money to register business to meet up with youwin mandate, risking their lives in the process of travelling from one place to another based on youwin directives. Mr. President, if those that made it to the second stage got the free business training with certificates, WHAT DO YOU HAVE FOR THOSE THAT ENTERED THIRD STAGE? IF NOTHING, THEY YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY MADE THEM TO EVEN LOOSE MORE THAN PEOPLE THAT WERE NOT SELECTED RIGHT FROM STAGE 1. Mr. President, pls use your kind heart, set up a fair committee to look into what eligible people that were disqualified at the last point could have other than just disappointment, wasted efforts and depression. Thank you so much in anticipation sir. ......................................... LETS US MESSAGE The minister of finance too via her facebook page .. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala https://m.facebook.com/ngoziokonjoiweala ................................ Copy below messages wisely and post on her wall and inbox her as well ............................ Honourable minister ma, I want to commend you for all the efforts you have made and you are making to make our country "Nigeria" a better place... You have really done well and you have shown us so many reasons why the good work should continue till 2019.. Ma, the purpose of writing this letter to you is to tell you about my observation concerning the youwin programme; especially on this 3rd edition which the result has just been made public. Youwin3 is quite different from the previous editions because: (i) it went through 3 selection stages. (2) All applicants that entered the second stage were mandated to register their businesses. (iii) All the candidates that qualified for the third stage were directed to travel down to a particular interview centre to defend their business plans. There were just 3 centres in the whole country ( Lagos, Enugu and Abuja). Here is my point Ma, the total of 6000 candidates that made it to second stage gained a business management training with certificates issued to them by YOUWIN. And in the third stage, a total of 2200-3000 candidates entered this stage with the fact that they have written an outstanding business plans. The interview was organized for them to prove if they wrote the business plans themselves or not. Apart from those who were disqualified at the registration stand for providing fake information and considered ineligible, so many new entrepreneur without existing businesses and management experiences have been able to prove that they wrote the business plans themselves.. But the result only favored those with existing businesses and those with management experiences. Which is not the description of the Youwin programme from the onset. Youwin is a business plan competition and it was not stated that they must have an existing businesses or management experiences before applying. This has now brought disappointment and depression to many young entrepreneurs after spending many nights cracking brain, spending money to register business to meet up with youwin mandate, risking their lives in the process of travelling from one place to another based on youwin directives. Honourable minister ma, if those that made it to the second stage got the free business training with certificates, WHAT DO YOU HAVE FOR THOSE THAT ENTERED THIRD STAGE? IF NOTHING, THEY YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY MADE THEM TO EVEN LOOSE MORE THAN PEOPLE THAT WERE NOT SELECTED RIGHT FROM STAGE 1. Honourable minister ma, pls use your kind heart, set up a fair committee to look into what eligible people that were disqualified at the last point could have other than just disappointment, wasted efforts and depression. Thank you so much in anticipation ma.

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Joshpa: 2:35pm On Sep 27, 2014
Meet the winners of Demo Africa startups' pitch at Orientals hotel, Nigeria. http://retailtopnews.com/demo-africas-five-final-winners-presentation-at-orientals-hotel/
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 5:58pm On Sep 27, 2014
FG announces 1,500 YouWiN awardees today
September 24, 2014 | Filed under: Breaking News | Author: ONYINYE NWACHUKWU, Abuja

One thousand five hundred successful applicants will today emerge from the third edition (2013/2014) of the Federal Government’s Youth Enterprise with Innovation in Nigeria (YouWiN) business plan competition.
This brings to 3,900 the total number of awardees that have been selected under the programme since its launch by the president in October 2011.
Each awardee, like in the previous editions, qualifies to receive between N1 million to N10 million grant to start up or expand his/her business based on the presented business proposal.
YouWiN is a business plan competition designed for both male and female entrepreneurs between ages 18 and 45 in Nigeria by the Federal Government aimed at creating sustainable jobs by encouraging and supporting young aspiring entrepreneurs in Nigeria to develop and execute business ideas and in turn employ other young Nigerians.
The finance ministry said today Tuesday that based on the huge impact of the programme so far, President Goodluck Jonathan had directed that the number of awardees be increased from 1,200 chosen, respectively, from the first and second editions to 1,500 in the third edition.
Of the 1,500 winners, 925 (62%) are male and 575 (38%) are female, also the top 5 winning sectors are farming, manufacturing of food and drinks, education, manufacturing of clothing and shoes, food and restaurant.
Explaining the selection process, the finance ministry said for the third edition, 114,463 Nigerians between the ages of 18 and 45 years applied out of which the initial 6,000 were selected and sent for entrepreneurship skills and business plan training.
A total of 2,250 top scoring applications were selected from the 6,000 based on anonymous evaluation by the Enterprise Development Center (EDC) of the Pan Atlantic University (PAU). Quality Assurance for this process was provided by the UK Plymouth Business School.

http://businessdayonline.com/2014/09/fg-announces-1500-youwin-awardees-today/#.VCbrlctwbqB
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by bizhub: 8:27pm On Sep 27, 2014
@EKITI001 A total of 2,250 top scoring applications were selected from the 6,000 based on anonymous evaluation by the Enterprise Development Center (EDC) of the Pan Atlantic University (PAU). Quality Assurance for this process was provided by the UK Plymouth Business School.

So its 750 applicants that was not shortlisted...you can adjust that in the write up whence forth
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 10:39am On Sep 28, 2014
Denn:

I will give details in the morning...

Thanks

tried uploading. you can download from this link:

http://www.cenbank.org/Out/2014/DFD/MSMEDF%20GUIDELINES%20%20.pdf
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 10:42am On Sep 28, 2014
CoolKizzy:

I heard about this, a friend went for the seminar under amfin and for our cooperative, I have an existing business in the agric sector but no records where kept specifically because the business isn't registered, how do CBN deal with my kind?

records are important to verify your past track records and estimate the trend.

bank statements, business registration docs, etc
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 29, 2014
please house when is the next youwin?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by neksummi(m): 10:05am On Sep 29, 2014
Donxavier: please house when is the next youwin?
Just go to their site and register and hope they'll actually run Youwin! 4. Probably first quarter of next year. http://www.youwin.org.ng
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 29, 2014
neksummi: Just go to their site and register and hope they'll actually run Youwin! 4. Probably first quarter of next year. http://www.youwin.org.ng

Thanks. I seriously pray and hope they do it.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 12:55pm On Sep 29, 2014
Who has heard of Co creation hub?

They provide assistance of from 10,000 usd to 25,000 usd

This is their site.

http://cchubnigeria.com/pre-incubation/

Lets have your inputs on this
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 30, 2014
neksummi: Just go to their site and register and hope they'll actually run Youwin! 4. Probably first quarter of next year. http://www.youwin.org.ng

I came across a site that claims you win 3 was the final edition of this govt grant. How true is this?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 30, 2014
Denn: Who has heard of Co creation hub?

They provide assistance of from 10,000 usd to 25,000 usd

This is their site.

http://cchubnigeria.com/pre-incubation/

Lets have your inputs on this

Wow nice. Any other startup funding sources
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 3:06pm On Sep 30, 2014
Donxavier:

I came across a site that claims you win 3 was the final edition of this govt grant. How true is this?

Yes. Technically, but from my permutation skills (which evidently, have been correct most of the time on this thread), I believe the government will weigh the economic and political impact of the project.

It can be used as a political tool for the next election (that is if we the youwin 3 set is not being used at the moment)

Either way, I envisage that if another youwin is not started this year, one should be introduced next year.

My fingers are crossed till the award ceremony date for youwin 3 when Jonathan might announce youwin 4 or just give a recap....

Award ceremony will occur in late October or November ceteris paribus.

My opinions
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 01, 2014
Donxavier:

next year is election year and to be neutral, this has to be the last until Jonathan returns to office. Assuming he's already a winner of the election is not right.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by oluwooye: 8:47am On Oct 03, 2014
Congratulations to all the Winners. To the 750 people not selected (myself inclusive), one of the major criteria used to drop them is the source of their raw materials. As seen from the list of the industries where the winners were selected from: "farming, manufacturing of food and drinks, education, manufacturing of clothing and shoes, food and restaurant." and the first question I was asked by the interviewer - "where is the source of your raw materials? They went further by saying "before you answer that question, please note that the fact that you buy your. Raw materials in Nigeria does not mean it is produced in Nigeria". At that point I knew I might not be selected. When I told them that my raw materials are imported, they wrote down something before they continued with the interview. The other part of the interview was excellent as I was 99% sure I would get the grant as an existing business who already has a Nafdac approved product in the market with several millions of personal funds already invested. From the above, it is unfortunate that such criterion was used because Nigeria does not produce any raw material for the chemical industry. Even our petrol is importe
d, and the country is planning to import electricity again. They should have stated it from the beginning that industries whose raw materials are imported should not apply. That would have saved some of us some headache and lost time. Not to talk of the money spent. Most of the raw materials used in the chemical industry are petrochemical products which could have been produced locally if the government had fixed the ailing refinery for the past 15 years they've been in power. Everyone can not be into agriculture. Whatever happens, i'm happy for those that got selected while the rest of us are encouraged to keep up our dream regardless of the outcome.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by bizhub: 9:11am On Oct 03, 2014
Some businesses on food and bottled water etc were dropped...the source of there raw materials is in Nigera...so e no get pattern.The panelist chose who they felt like taking...Simple

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (149) (Reply)

Simple Secret Of Buying Stuff At Idumota Market Lagos / Making Regular Income Publishing Amazon Kindle Ebooks / Why You Should Stay Away From MMM Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.