Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,683 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:24 PM

Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? (12784 Views)

For The Guys : Do Any Of You NOT Want Children? / Am I Wrong To Want To Marry A Rich Man? / What If I Don't Want Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by 4Play(m): 9:21pm On Aug 05, 2013
Historian Lucy Worsley caused a furore when she remarked last year that she had been 'educated out of the natural reproductive function'.

Now it seems she might have had a point, after a new study has revealed a clear correlation between intelligence and childlessness - with cleverer women more likely to choose not to have a family.

The study, which was conducted by Satoshi Kanazawa, a researcher at the London School of Economics, found that a woman's urge to have children decreases by a quarter for every 15 extra IQ points.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2384787/Too-clever-mother-The-maternal-urge-decreases-QUARTER-15-extra-IQ-points.html
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by SisiKill1: 9:36pm On Aug 05, 2013
Rotflmao! I just put up a thread about the need for condom. Simply put - KIDS ARE A PAIN!!! cheesy cheesy

@ Topic
I think deep down, if the pressure of meeting societal "standards" and "expectations" where to be lifted, many people won't have children. Somehow, we have been convinced that not having kids makes one selfish....when the truth is, sometimes the opposite is the case and you are saving a child from living a miserable life?

I say people should be honest with themselves, contrary to what we have been told...not everyone is maternal or paternal. If you know you don't have what it takes to be a good, emotional available parent...do the world a favor and pack up shop.

9 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by biolabee(m): 10:18pm On Aug 05, 2013
Me I no know the kain intelligence wey women dey flaunt these days

Women like marie curie get pikin.. They don't come more intelligent than that

I no know

11 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Aug 05, 2013
If you ask me, I wouldn't say intelligent women are less likely to have children, I would say women who don't want to have children are probably more likely to be intelligent. In addition to being empowered, strong willed, independent. (*disclaimer: I have no scientific evidence to support it, it's just the way I would reason it out. I also did not read the study from the OP*)

With that being said, I know exactly 2 married women who absolutely do not want children. One is as dumb as a sack of rocks and the other is a highly intelligent neuroscientist. The first one as well as her husband are blue collar workers who have a boat load of family money that they spend on multitudes of vacations yearly. They want to continue that lifestyle unhampered by kids. The second just knows all the potential negatives with kids and is not interested.

Sisi_Kill:

@ Topic
I think deep down, if the pressure of meeting societal "standards" and "expectations" where to be lifted, many people won't have children.

Hmmm I guess that would be an interesting theory to confirm, I think there might be a difference but it might be negligible. I just wonder if women with no maternal instincts that only had children to satisfy their family/inlaws are really that many to make a big difference in the numbers. The differences might be more notable in the timing of when they have children, in the setting where children are had, but I'm not too sure the overall number of women who would want children would decrease significantly. Just my opinion though, I may be wrong! smiley

4 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by SisiKill1: 11:15pm On Aug 05, 2013
You are absolutely right in the sense that the difference in numbers might be negligible. I suppose I should have said there will be a difference in how many people approach their baby making decisions.

And you hit the proverbial nail on the head about the other factors...timing, setting etc. Was reading a thread recently about guys who don't want children. Some guy was actually quite honest about not wanting any and instead of the normal questions you'd expect an intelligent person or someone who has at least two brain cells to ask, he was asked the most asinine question. ...where are you based?

The implication of course is one can't be based in Nigeria and not wanna have kids. Yep, having kids has nothing to do with a person's preparedness. It's about where you are based. If Nigeria has shown it self a safe haven for children, one might be forgiven for thinking that way but it doesn't so what point has been made?!

Sadly this pointless, basal way of thinking does play a huge factor in how some people make the decision to have kids.

2 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by coogar: 11:55pm On Aug 05, 2013
4 Play:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2384787/Too-clever-mother-The-maternal-urge-decreases-QUARTER-15-extra-IQ-points.html

i thought satoshi kanazawa was sacked when his findings showed black women are less attractive than their counterparts - seems he's back again with his controversial researches.....

if intelligent women are less likely to have kids then may God save our planet cos after a while, only the less intelligent ones would populate the earth with their progenies. i hope to be in a better place by then....

6 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 12:58am On Aug 06, 2013
Sisi_Kill: Was reading a thread recently about guys who don't want children. Some guy was actually quite honest about not wanting any and instead of the normal questions you'd expect an intelligent person or someone who has at least two brain cells to ask, he was asked the most asinine question. ...where are you based?

The implication of course is one can't be based in Nigeria and not wanna have kids. Yep, having kids has nothing to do with a person's preparedness. It's about where you are based.

How won't they ask where he is based? When they are hard at work ensuring that they successfully propagate and promote the societal 'standards' and 'expectations' without taking one second to apply any critical thought. They can't appreciate or even attempt to understand anyone with an independent brain that doesn't follow the herd. Bunch'a robots!

If Nigeria has shown it self a safe haven for children, one might be forgiven for thinking that way but it doesn't so what point has been made?!

Child hunger, high mortality rate for children, child abuse, poor healthcare, raping children to death, setting innocent children on fire, cutting off their toes, mothers perishing routinely during childbirth leaving the child at the mercy of the evil step mother? How much of a safer haven do you desire? Hmmm? You greedy one...

4 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by armyofone(m): 1:58am On Aug 06, 2013
I read somewhere that women who decided not to have children are selfish and self centered.
anyway, if there is correlation between not having children to being intelligent, then we can rightly say those who don't want to have kids till they are done with college, made enough money, or matured enough are highly intelligent.
Yet @ 27, we keep hearing 'your biological clock is ticking' grin

coogar:

i thought satoshi kanazawa was sacked when his findings showed black women are less attractive than their counterparts - seems he's back again with his controversial researches.....

if intelligent women are less likely to have kids then may God save our planet cos after a while, only the less intelligent ones would populate the earth with their progenies. i hope to be in a better place by then....

just contribute your own high intelligent tadpoles and leave the rest to the mighty one.
So make sure your tadpoles are smart and special not just some tail less swimmers grin
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Princesszoe: 10:22am On Aug 06, 2013
I'd rather use educated women instead. Highly educated women are very oriented and exposed. They are very knowledgeable in somethings that are physcologically, medically, emotionally and mentally related . They know that giving birth is not enough, for you are to work harder than you did when you were pregnant, to care for those kids. The pains to be endured during the first trimester is much talk more of that of the labour room. The inducement, hand deeping to check how close is the head of the baby, the tear etc are serious matters and some of them lose their lives on top of these pains. Educated women often weigh the pros and cons of things before embarking on them. Between, bearing as many children as possible need enough resources mainly finances.

5 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 06, 2013
I think every intelligent woman would love to have a family what is the point of having the highest IQ and going to an empty house everybody needs somebody. sad

6 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Fazhy: 1:49pm On Aug 06, 2013
so it is now clever not to have family. Hmmm,

1 Like

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by bloglover(m): 1:52pm On Aug 06, 2013
what I know is that if you are an intelligent man, pls dont marry a woman that will be dragging intelligence with u at home and vice versa. there is love in complimenting lacks in a relationship. As for children, intelligent wwomen do not have that time so men u know what to do now wink

1 Like

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Xavii: 1:53pm On Aug 06, 2013
spongeback: I think every intelligent woman would love to have a family what is the point of having the highest IQ and going to an empty house everybody needs somebody. sad
Yes dear
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by moscobabs(m): 1:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
I wish to comment..bt a dey fear mukina
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by bukatyne(f): 1:56pm On Aug 06, 2013
Fazhy: so it is now clever not to have family. Hmmm,

Is that all you got from the thread? angry

3 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 06, 2013
Hmmm. I've always wanted kids, as many as possible, 12, 14 or more. Whether or not I get married. I have always known myself to be the nurturing type. I'll probably end up with one or two kids at the most but the truth is not every female was born to be a wife/mother. I wish people would learn to recognise themselves for what they are rather than subject innocent kids to a life of physical torture, emotional abuse etc

4 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 06, 2013
Princess zoe: I'd rather use educated women instead. Highly educated women are very oriented and exposed. They are very knowledgeable in somethings that are physcologically, medically, emotionally and mentally related . They know that giving birth is not enough, for you are to work harder than you did when you were pregnant, to care for those kids. The pains to be endured during the first trimester is much talk more of that of the labour room. The inducement, hand deeping to check how close is the head of the baby, the tear etc are serious matters and some of them lose their lives on top of these pains. Educated women often weigh the pros and cons of things before embarking on them. Between, bearing as many children as possible need enough resources mainly finances.

Standing ovation!

Your head dey there

3 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by obi123: 2:05pm On Aug 06, 2013
spongeback: I think every intelligent woman would love to have a family what is the point of having the highest IQ and going to an empty house everybody needs somebody. sad

we are over 7billion (not sure how many women) on this earth and you somehow think we should want the same thing? some people are happier with pets than humans, some people believe it or not are happier on their own or with very minimal human contact.
I've learnt that fulfillment means different things to diff people, i might think that the ultimate for me is to get married and have kids, for the next person , far from it , it is to help as many children in Brazil get off the streets .They are not in any way interested in marriage , kids and the likes, now that doesn't make them less intelligent or too intelligent , its just what they want and we really shouldn't judge or label them for that

WHO THE HELL MADE US JUDGE ANYWAY

4 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by sylve11: 2:08pm On Aug 06, 2013

kiss kiss kiss cool
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by tawa89(f): 2:09pm On Aug 06, 2013
Raising a child to become a responsible Adult contributing positively to his/her society is the true test of a Woman's Intelligence.

10 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by biolabee(m): 2:13pm On Aug 06, 2013
Fazhy: so it is now clever not to have family. Hmmm,

funny guy,,,
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 06, 2013
I don't think so. There are lots of Intelligent women all over the world who have kids.
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by biolabee(m): 2:14pm On Aug 06, 2013

maybe that level of intelligence is hidden for some...
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 06, 2013
I call them spongy women lacking emotion. One once said she hates twins. She cant tolerate the stress of caring for twins. I started imagining what a man would call a wife. You dont wanna stress yourself for kids. Errhnn ?!

If i werent intelligent in school i would have been bothered. Nonetheless am still smart and dont see such behaviour as being inteliigent. I call them psychedelic ladies who dont want to smell smoke but want to eat the best dishes...

Yet they still cry for lack of husband. Wait, your husband is coming. Lady..

8 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by bukatyne(f): 2:15pm On Aug 06, 2013
tawa89: Raising a child to become a responsible Adult contributing positively to his/her society is the true test of a Woman's Intelligence.

Funny and what is the true test od a man's intelligence?

8 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Aug 06, 2013
There is definitely a correlation, when education levels rise, fertility levels fall. The 'intelligent' women invest in their future first and tend to have fewer or no children or have them much later.
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by modele2: 2:17pm On Aug 06, 2013
Sisi_Kill: Rotflmao! I just put up a thread about the need for condom. Simply put - KIDS ARE A PAIN!!! cheesy cheesy

@ Topic
I say people should be honest with themselves, contrary to what we have been told...not everyone is maternal or paternal. If you know you don't have what it takes to be a good, emotional available parent...do the world a favor and pack up shop.

I agree...but where there is a problem is that your maternal or paternal 'feelings' are most times governed by station in life, experiences and even age. And these situations change. I remember as a younger woman...if i see childern sitting in a church pew i make sure i sit at least 5 pews away...very delibrately. Well fast foward years later, i got married and had children, due to social expectations and the love and maternal 'feelings' i have for them cannot be explained. So for me its a risk one shouldnt take especially as a woman....we have a limited window period tongue
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by modele2: 2:18pm On Aug 06, 2013
bloglover: what I know is that if you are an intelligent man, pls dont marry a woman that will be dragging intelligence with u at home and vice versa. there is love in complimenting lacks in a relationship. As for children, intelligent wwomen do not have that time so men u know what to do now wink

Marry a fool?....On purpose?
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by makahlj2: 2:24pm On Aug 06, 2013
oyinbos are breeding themselves out of existence

2 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 06, 2013
Sisi_Kill: Rotflmao! I just put up a thread about the need for condom. Simply put - KIDS ARE A PAIN!!! cheesy cheesy

@ Topic
I think deep down, if the pressure of meeting societal "standards" and "expectations" where to be lifted, many people won't have children. Somehow, we have been convinced that not having kids makes one selfish....when the truth is, sometimes the opposite is the case and you are saving a child from living a miserable life?

Suffice me to add.. If you arent maternal, seek no husband, if you arent paternal seek no wife.

Reason: a complete family is made up of father mother and children.

1 Like

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by judedwriter(m): 2:26pm On Aug 06, 2013
Wit d rate intelligent ladies are marrying today in their mid and late thirties, of course more families will have fewer children.
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 06, 2013
intelligence entails cleverness and a tad bit of foresight. on that note, i think truly intelligent women know that by of passing on their super iQ to their offsprings they are leaving a legacy of themselves.
on the other hand, not all career or blue collar oriented women are truly intelligent as I find that some of them just live by a certain cliche that educated career women do not have many kids.
most of these so called intelligent women are just corporate savvy thats all.

check out all the forbes powerful women both corporate and govt and even inventors. you will see that they all have a functional family with child/ren except oprah though.

My opinion though.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

As Parents, What Are The Most Common Words Use With Children? / It's My Son's Birthday Today 19th JUL 2016..Happy Birthday Son / A Conversation Between The Wife And A Side Chic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.