Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,520 members, 7,770,326 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:21 AM

The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria (52931 Views)

The Negative Aspect Of Respect In African Culture / Does Westernization Equate To Civilization? / Inter-marriage, The Positive And The Negative Side (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 10:58am On Aug 06, 2013
Since the dawn of the twenty first century, Westernization has been a phenomenon that has been spreading across the globe at a tremendous rate. The spread of Westernization can be attributed to many factors of which Globalization can be said to have played a very crucial role in its spread.

Nigeria like many country in the world has always been at the receiving end of these western norms and value system where the negative aspects of these western norms and value system is now something that is witness in the lives of many Nigerians, and of course the positive impact are things nobody wants to emulate or make part of their everyday lives. The negative impact of westernization has since spread its tentacles to every nook and cranny of the Nigerian state thus influencing and changing the culture of many tribes and ethnic group in the country.

A renowned scholar once defined Culture as the "way of life of a particular people living in a particular place". From this definition given, one can readily say that the ways of westernization was never part of Nigerians as a people living in a particular place.

A growing trend now in Nigeria that is almost becoming a norm is the way many Nigerians dress, while many will say "to dress decent is a choice" they tend to forget that from the pre colonial era, Nigerians have always have different dress attire that has always been the embodiment of Nigerian traditional value and culture system, dress attire that are very beautiful and more often than not provoke the envy of many westerners. The way many Nigerians dress nowadays often make one to wonder about the moral scruple of that individual, this is most common with some Nigerian women, you take a good look at the way some women dress in the society and you cannot help but marvel at the level of indecency being display, they reveal almost all the things that shouldn't even be revealed, things that should only be seen by their husband alone, should you even ask why they display such things in public, they tell you it’s their body and they can decide to do whatever they what to do with it. More often than not these women who often flaunt their intimate parts are often at the receiving end of many men who most times mistake them for commercial sex workers, the women in turn tend to pour their anger at these men forgetting that in Nigeria today most people react to what they see and hear in the society.

Let us shift our attention now to another trend that is by far worse than that of indecent dressing, "Infidelity", you take a very good look at Nigeria today and you just can't help but marvel at the way some married men cheat on their wives at will. Before the spread of westernization, infidelity was something that was severely treated and spoken against in Nigeria, should a man or woman cheat on his or her spouse, that person will be brought to the village square and flogged, but now all you see are married men engaging in the act and still say that there is absolutely nothing wrong for a man to cheat on his wife. The Women now have also joined the men in this abysmal act, some women now adays tend to copy what their male counterparts are doing, that is cheating on their husband, when asked why they engage in such act, they tell you "what a man can do a woman can do better" that is cheating is not only good for a man but good for a woman.

Among all these things, the issue that really calls for concern is the issue of "homosexuality". To the Nigerian traditional man, homosexuality is a foreign word and should one try to explain it to him, he will rebuke you with all the might he can muster. Be that as it may, homosexuality is now almost becoming as morally right as infidelity and indecent dressing, although the National Assembly have banned the act, this does not however stop many from engaging in it. The pressure from many foreign countries on Nigeria's stand on homosexuality goes a long way to say that many Nigerian homosexuals both home and abroad are lobbying for the National Assembly to legalize the act. Although the Nigerian Minister of Foreign Affairs have reiterated Nigeria's stand on homosexuality, many foreign organizations seem not agree with it saying that it is an individual’s fundamental human right. What they seem to forget is that such a thing was and still is a taboo in our many traditional norms and value system in the country today.

I believe these mentioned above are just about the most worrisome trend westernization having brought to the Nigerian polity. We must all look at these things critically and speak out against it for with the aid of globalization they seem to be spreading tremendously. When growing up as a child, homosexuality, indecent dressing and infidelity were things that I never even knew about, but now even a thirteen year old will tell you that such things are almost normal and right. While westernization have brought about many positive changes in Nigeria, it has also brought about many negative changes and the negative is what many Nigerians are focusing on thus relegating the positive, a very close look at internet scam popularly called ‘yahoo yahoo’ will buttress this point. We should all shun these negative trends of westernization and uphold the positive, for if we do not, our traditional norms and value will be wiped off the face of the Nigerian state to be replaced with western norms and value system.

http://ehiaguinaehbodaghe..com/2013/08/the-negative-impact-of-westernization.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by Emmyk(m): 11:18am On Aug 06, 2013
This thing is looooong. But I read half and got your point.

Also, I dont know why credit in English Language is a requisite to enter university. Majority of Nigerians believe English is the true test of knowledge.
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 3:31pm On Aug 08, 2013
Emmyk: This thing is looooong. But I read half and got your point.

Also, I dont know why credit in English Language is a requisite to enter university. Majority of Nigerians believe English is the true test of knowledge.
That's what is obtainable in the society, the whole lingua franca mentality.
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:56pm On Sep 18, 2014
This does not even begin to identify the problems that have been caused by westernization.

This is just a personal expression of life choices individuals have made, that you are not okay with.

Infidelity, homosexuality, and indecent dressing have been in existence even in the rural precolonial nigeria, way before westernization.

Just do your research. I get your message, but the point used to stress it out are weak and unfounded.
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 2:15am On Sep 20, 2014
teechudley: This does not even begin to identify the problems that have been caused by westernization.

This is just a personal expression of life choices individuals have made, that you are not okay with.

Infidelity, homosexuality, and indecent dressing have been in existence even in the rural precolonial nigeria, way before westernization.

Just do your research. I get your message, but the point used to stress it out are weak and unfounded.
No doubt these things have been in existence but I ask: where these things celebrated in rural and pre colonial Nigeria? I believe you did your research about what our ancestors did to people who fornicate, commit adultery talk less of homosexuality!. My points are very strong and hold a lot of water my good man. Thanks for reading.

1 Like

Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
I don't believe indecent dressing, is being celebrated in nigeria today o. Even homosexuality has been labelled as a crime in Nigeria, and adultery is still seriously frowned upon I don't think people celebrate all these sets of people and their life choices in Nigeria today. But it is still done in secret, just as it was in the olden days. Let's be realistic.
joseph1832:
No doubt these things have been in existence but I ask: where these things celebrated in rural and pre colonial Nigeria? I believe you did your research about what our ancestors did to people who fornicate, commit adultery talk less of homosexuality!. My points are very strong and hold a lot of water my good man. Thanks for reading.
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 9:10pm On Oct 15, 2014
teechudley:
I don't believe indecent dressing, is being celebrated in nigeria today o. Even homosexuality has been labelled as a crime in Nigeria, and adultery is still seriously frowned upon I don't think people celebrate all these sets of people and their life choices in Nigeria today. But it is still done in secret, just as it was in the olden days. Let's be realistic.
How old are you? If you think adultery is committed in secret then you don't know what's happening around you. And I tell you adultery is not even frown upon, the rate at which married men cheat on their wives is alarming, also the rate at which single girls chase after married men is worse, they tell you they won't date single guys because single guys love attachment and doesn't spend money like a married man.

Indecent dressing is almost seen as a norm in Nigeria today, this also relates to things which were frown upon in the days of old.
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:23pm On Oct 15, 2014
joseph1832:
How old are you? If you think adultery is committed in secret then you don't know what's happening around you. And I tell you adultery is not even frown upon, the rate at which married men cheat on their wives is alarming, also the rate at which single girls chase after married men is worse, they tell you they won't date single guys because single guys love attachment and doesn't spend money like a married man.
Indecent dressing is almost seen as a norm in Nigeria today, this also relates to things which were frown upon in the days of old.
it is good to know that you believe the ancestors were saints. I'm happy for you. Because frm my point of view, I see many great grand mothers telling the story of how they came to have six kids for four men. I bleed with you, in terms of our neeed to be less western tho. You are right. We are quickly losing our identity as Africans, trying so hard to adopt a culture that will never accept us.
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 9:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
teechudley:
it is good to know that you believe the ancestors were saints. I'm happy for you. Because frm my point of view, I see many great grand mothers telling the story of how they came to have six kids for four men. I bleed with you, in terms of our neeed to be less western tho. You are right. We are quickly losing our identity as Africans, trying so hard.to adopt a culture that will never accept us.
Don't quote me wrong! I never said our ancestors were saint. They did unthinkable things like the killing of twins, but they did it out of ignorance. They were never trying to mimic anybody.

Please kindly explain your emphasis on our ancestors having six kids for four different men.
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by kingston277(m): 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2014
joseph1832:
Don't quote me wrong! I never said our ancestors were saint. They did unthinkable things like the killing of twins, but they did it out of ignorance. They were never trying to mimic anybody.

Please kindly explain your emphasis on our ancestors having six kids for four different men.
What, were your peoples ancestors from calabar or something by any chance? Because most Nigerians of those times were not even think to do that, they loved twins.
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by destante(f): 5:07pm On Oct 16, 2014
I didn't read through completely but I think every culture is dynamic and will keep evolving as influenced by others. the good will always come with the bad hence. how you differentiate the bad from good will mostly be personal

1 Like

Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 7:50pm On Oct 16, 2014
kingston277:

What, were your peoples ancestors from calabar or something by any chance? Because most Nigerians of those times were not even think to do that, they loved twins.
I can't comprehend what you're saying. Please be lucid!.
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by Glock9(m): 3:46pm On Oct 18, 2014
Is this a project topic?
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 5:08pm On Oct 18, 2014
Glock9:
Is this a project topic?
If you want to make it one; pm me.

2 Likes

Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by Glock9(m): 12:28pm On Oct 19, 2014
joseph1832:
If you want to make it one; pm me.

Been there and done that.
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 1:24pm On Oct 19, 2014
Glock9:

Been there and done that.
Yeah yeah whatever.

1 Like

Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by kingston277(m): 2:15am On Oct 20, 2014
destante:
I didn't read through completely but I think every culture is dynamic and will keep evolving as influenced by others. the good will always come with the bad hence. how you differentiate the bad from good will mostly be personal
That is why this article was written:
https://www.nairaland.com/1796388/tradition-progress

1 Like

Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 4:06pm On May 19, 2016
Lezz and postmann, once upon a time, I wrote this... Look at how far we've come?
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by lezz(m): 4:38pm On May 19, 2016
joseph1832:

That's what is obtainable in the society, the whole lingua franca mentality.
In the absence of standardised indigenous language, English language remains the language of formal learning and education in Nigeria.

It is so even in countries who are native speakers eg: UK, US, Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by lezz(m): 4:55pm On May 19, 2016
joseph1832:
Le.zz and post.mann, once upon a time, I wrote this... Look at how far we've come?

Hmmmn, westernisation is sweeping the globe and it isn't exactly a new phenomenon.

Other countries with varying cultures have had their government employed decrees or legislative fiats to curtail the tide of Western culture in China, Russia, the middle East and so forth.

Japan that is pro-West has succeeded in having her citizens have a healthy balance --without the need of government coercion-- between Western norms and their own indigenous customs.

Africa remains the cultural spittoon of every imaginable fad of the West.
From spiritual aping to social mimicking.

Africans, even here in NL have noded their acquiescence to atheism shocked . That's Africa the home of the supernatural, have become intellectually bamboozled into believing he can logically decipher the world of spirits. ....laughs ......

Time will tell.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by postmann: 5:08pm On May 19, 2016
[b]Hey Joe, I got your point and you're damn right. Though many may misunderstand you on this.

Personally, I think Africans are generally weak psychologically with poor self esteem. Many Africans still carry the mindset and mentality of a conquered people. We opened our doors freely for the whiteman to penetrate even long after independence. Our airwaves carry all their cultural taboos and lewdness to pervert the next generation.

Our children are left with cable TV and they grow to become loosed morally with little or no respect for elders. You know the whiteman is a barbarian still. Don't be taken by his advancement in science and technology. Success easily deceives, so many people have mistaken their way of life and values to be better.

I remember watching kungfu movies from East Asia. I know how difficult it is to see two adult kiss or the breast of a woman exposed. But Westernization is selling perversion to the world and whoever that isn't buying is bullied and intimidated until he succumbs.

Africans didn't know hard drugs, Africans didn't know how to spread perversion on a global scale, Africans never left their fathers land and went on a global land grabbing campaign stealing and pillaging the world. But Africa failed to close her borders after independence and these rampaging devils continued to bring in their filth to our shores. And our society is fastly losing its moral compass like theirs. [/b]
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:25pm On May 19, 2016
you have to understand that the worst thing to ever happen to the African continent -slave trade and colonisation has fvvcked up Africans mentality and destroyed her self esteem.

the white man's religion is like a source of comfort to us.

we are still trying to figure out how to effectively implement the white man's educational system and government.

even money is new to black people.

everything we know and have is from the west (so this westernisation thing is stale news). the indigenous cultures we practice are those that are selfishly favourable to us.

anyway, the world is evolving, exchange of cultures is a natural phenomena but most times weaker cultures will be subdued by stronger ones.
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 8:49pm On May 19, 2016
Joavid:
you have to understand that the worst thing to ever happen to the African continent -slave trade and colonisation has fvvcked up Africans mentality and destroyed her self esteem.

the white man's religion is like a source of comfort to us.

we are still trying to figure out how to effectively implement the white man's educational system and government.

even money is new to black people.

everything we know and have is from the west (so this westernisation thing is stale news). the indigenous cultures we practice are those that are selfishly favourable to us.

anyway, the world is evolving, exchange of cultures is a natural phenomena but most times weaker cultures will be subdued by stronger ones.
So how would you suppose the black man retain his almost lost culture?
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by cbravo(m): 5:04pm On Sep 12, 2016
topic:The Positive and Negative Effects of Globalization on the Nigerian Economy.
this a complete project work from chapter 1 to 5.it highly professional work.to get the full work follow the link below

http://www.bravoprojecthelp.com/economics/positive-negative-effects-globalization-nigerian-economy/
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by cbravo(m): 1:29pm On Nov 12, 2016
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by cbravo(m): 9:43am On May 05, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by cbravo2: 6:39am On May 24, 2017
The Positive and Negative Effects of Globalization on the Nigerian Economy.
http://www.bravoprojecthelp.com/economics/positive-negative-effects-globalization-nigerian-economy/
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by iseeicome: 8:51am On Oct 02, 2017
Western Education in Nigeria - The British Conquest
http://articlesng.com/western-education-nigeria-british-conquest/
Re: The Negative Impact Of Westernization In Nigeria by Goldman360: 12:07pm On Nov 08, 2017
Child Adoption, Cause, Implications and Public Perception (A Study of the Undergraduate Students of Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki)

The care of a child is a continuous process which begins at the pre-natal stage and lingers through the period of post-natal toddlers, pre-school, primary and secondary school age and adolescence to youth. It is indeed a labourous adventure which requires hard work. These fundamental treats of love, care and supports are denied some children who for one reason or the other are
parentless. In this regard, adoption remains the only alternative. Adoption is a process whereby a person assumed the parenting for another and in so doing permanently transfers all right and responsibilities from the original parent....

http://www.scharticles.com/child-adoption-cause-implications-and-public-perception/

(1) (Reply)

Meet Simi Oluwaseyi Phebian, Sister Of Ooni Of Ife's Wife Changes Her Bio / Rivers State First Class Kings, Traditional Rulers (Photos) / Visit to Nigeria Local aluminium Pot Making Factory /see how they make it -photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.