Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,042 members, 7,807,128 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:00 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1618) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5945702 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1615) (1616) (1617) (1618) (1619) (1620) (1621) ... (2841) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by saengine: 1:26pm On Mar 14, 2018
lionel4power:

but why do your Rooivalk travel in pairs??

I would assume having an extra pair of eyes and sensors is an operational capability the SAAF will not budge on. Helicopters are magnets to ground fire, and that extra Rooivalk would be able to pick up the source and engage it. I would take a wild guess and say many chopper pilots shot down never even see who is firing at them, before its too late.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 12:28pm On Mar 15, 2018
SAAB JAS 39 Gripen collection

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 5:00pm On Mar 15, 2018
http://odili.net/news/source/2018/mar/14/314.html
GERMANY donates Five Gunboats to Nigeria
also Donates MTU Engine training
Henry please forgive me I know you are busy , perhaps you can get some pictures?
The MTU Engine training is a pleasant surprise as a lot of our Ships including the two most recent NN UNITY& CENTENARY are MTU Engines I believe ( Someone correct me if I am wrong).
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 5:23pm On Mar 15, 2018
frumentius:
WARNING: Rant coming on

Looks like I might have another 3-month deployment in the DRC, when 5SAI rotates out in April. Fine.
And here comes the rant: if the UN won't pay for Rooivalk and our troops will be left at the mercy of air cover provided by ineffectual Hinds -the UN itself admits the Hind's shortcomings - then we should completely pull out. Everything; the 5 Oryx they want to retain and the Battalion group assigned to the FIB. After Bangui, politicians gave assurances that never again shall our troops deploy without effective air support.
The Brazilians forced the UN to accept Super Tucanos and BlackHawks for their coming deployment to CAR. The Dutch, Belgians and Germans refused to paint their choppers UN white in Mali.

Hell, personally I won't be affected by the decision to withdraw the Rooivalk. But how do I sit in Goma planning missions when I know at best 1 Hind will be available and only in daylight hours!

RANT OVER.

Our issues are minor.

I just finished Roméo Dallaire's book on his mission to Rawanda. Obviously he tries to paint himself in a good light, and in the process comes off as a naive 1st world idealist, but holy sh1t the UN really fvcked him over. Seriously, fvck the UN.

If it werent for the Tunisian and Ghanaian elements working daily miracles (like the Ghanaians holding part the air-port, and in the process catching massive cross-fire from all sides) it would have moved beyond disaster and straight into the realm of a greek-tragedy.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:54pm On Mar 15, 2018
saengine:

I might be wrong, but I've never seen you post a single picture. Why don't you also post to make it less disgusting? Threads like this are almost impossible to keep as pictures only, and discussions are bound to happen. But yes, there are many completely off topic chats that creep in...like arguing about steel production undecided.

little discussions related to relevant pictures posted here cant b condemned but when bringing bullsh*t like steel production and soughts is totally appaling and it derails the thread
i've been around here since and posted pictures most atimes(you can go thru my posts on my profile) till the thread got to one thousand pages and then i went AWOL due to tight schedules at school .....by the way what happened to ssaengine?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 10:34pm On Mar 15, 2018
LTGEN:
http://odili.net/news/source/2018/mar/14/314.html
GERMANY donates Five Gunboats to Nigeria
also Donates MTU Engine training
Henry please forgive me I know you are busy , perhaps you can get some pictures?
The MTU Engine training is a pleasant surprise as a lot of our Ships including the two most recent NN UNITY& CENTENARY are MTU Engines I believe ( Someone correct me if I am wrong).

NNS ARADU is probably coming back to life. It uses 2 MTU 20V 956 TM92 diesels.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 12:49am On Mar 16, 2018
tdayof:

NNS ARADU is probably coming back to life. It uses 2 MTU 20V 956 TM92 diesels.
T hat is one of the things i have been thinking , but is it repairable?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 3:13am On Mar 16, 2018
LTGEN:

T hat is one of the things i have been thinking , but is it repairable?
As at last year.

https://m.guardian.ng/news/navy-needs-250m-to-refit-nns-aradu/

I once read it somewhere where the CNS discussed well about the refitting.

He said the fire control radar and onboard systems and others will be changed. Meaning missiles too will change. IMO, a new ship on NNS Aradu hull and superstructure.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 9:16am On Mar 16, 2018
tdayof:

As at last year.

https://m.guardian.ng/news/navy-needs-250m-to-refit-nns-aradu/

I once read it somewhere where the CNS discussed well about the refitting.

He said the fire control radar and onboard systems and others will be changed. Meaning missiles too will change. IMO, a new ship on NNS Aradu hull and superstructure.
Economically unviable

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 9:48am On Mar 16, 2018
Odunayaw:
Economically unviable
The navy doesn't agree with that. I heard they're trying to get a new frigate too.
Nenesis2u, if NNS Aradu gets refited /overhauled with new weapon systems, etc. Does it still worth it?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 10:47am On Mar 16, 2018
tdayof:

The navy doesn't agree with that. I heard they're trying to get a new frigate too.
Nenesis2u, if NNS Aradu gets refited /overhauled with new weapon systems, etc. Does it still worth it?

grin following the whole shebang since 2011,I'd say it's just beans talk
As far as am concerned, the Aradu's structure is old and it is uneconomical resuscitating it

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 11:19am On Mar 16, 2018
lionel4power:

It's the SAAF doctrine.

See, 2 helicopters assaulting the ground is better than 1. In order to save your own troop lives you need to inflict maximum damage to the enemy before moving in.

Also, the Rooivalk was meant to take care of heavy armour for troops deployed far from the base (like paratroopers and SF) so having 2 in the air simultaneously is better than one because going back to the base to reload would be far and deadly for the troops left behind.

And, in case one is shot down then the remaining one would secure the other by immediately landing on the field and extract the pilots (I read extra seats can be placed on the external frame)
for this.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 2:43pm On Mar 16, 2018
OFF TOPIC
7 service members aboard a military helicopter died in a crash in western Iraq on Thursday, U.S. officials said
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/16/us/politics/seven-troops-killed-helicopter-crash-iraq.html?referer=https:///eiWgXoiA2J?amp=1#click=https:///eiWgXoiA2J
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:53pm On Mar 16, 2018
lionel4power:

General attack helicopter doctrine.
You can read more on it here:
http://scientiamilitaria.journals.ac.za/pub/index

Or for older manuals from other air forces here:
https://www.warbooks.co.za/collections/e-books
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:31pm On Mar 16, 2018
Kruger National Park, like a boss grin grin grin.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:12pm On Mar 16, 2018
You just know this kid will waltz into the Recces. A legendary Recce grandfather, a Recce father currently deployed in the DRC as a Team Leader, and the kid is stalking and bagging them back home. grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 10:14pm On Mar 16, 2018
frumentius:
shocked shocked shocked I am a simple guy. I see a rhino, I climb the tallest tree in the forest. grin

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:05pm On Mar 16, 2018
Xbee007:

shocked shocked shocked I am a simple guy. I see a rhino, I climb the tallest tree in the forest. grin

grin grin grin
Same here. These guys are wired differently, apparently. shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Troop101: 12:22pm On Mar 17, 2018
frumentius:
Lyk my jy het gout in die groot tone cry[color=#990000][/color] joking....... enjoy

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 17, 2018
Troop101:
Lyk my jy het gout in die groot tone cry[color=#990000][/color] joking....... enjoy

grin grin grin
Except that's not me.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 17, 2018
shocked shocked shocked

Mamba MK5: basically a Mamba on a Casspir chassis and drive train.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 10:26pm On Mar 17, 2018
I wish there could be an African Panama canal from West to East Africa, that could be revolutionary
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:31pm On Mar 17, 2018
Tinfoil:
I wish there could be an African Panama canal from West to East Africa, that could be revolutionary

You do realise the Panama Canal is 77km right? And you're asking for a canal that spans almost 6000km?

Might take you seriously with Trans-continental highways and rail lines.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 4:08am On Mar 18, 2018
frumentius:

You do realise the Panama Canal is 77km right? And you're asking for a canal that spans almost 6000km?

Might take you seriously with Trans-continental highways and rail lines.

Good point. I concede
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by CaptainStephen(m): 7:58am On Mar 18, 2018
Xbee007:

fear fear grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 3:22pm On Mar 18, 2018
CaptainStephen:
fear fear grin grin
grin grin Trust me you don't want to be anywhere near a rhino when it go ballistic. Seen too many videos of them turning on tourists, they won't even give you chance to escape.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by saengine: 3:48pm On Mar 18, 2018
SA SF wink

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 18, 2018
Rhinoceros r pretty suicidal , they always shit in the same spot, hence a easy prey for poachers, guess nature did not factor in stupidity of humans ie baseless superstition and greed while determining the traits of animals.

Sometimes here rhino charge passenger buses and slam them , not much damage done except for lot of wet under wears maybe.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:33pm On Mar 18, 2018
Troop101:
Why are you always so fond of speaking Afrikaans in an English speaking forum?

Augaugust sends his warm greetings to you. cheesy
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:35pm On Mar 18, 2018
Nigerian and Canadian ships conduct exercise maneuvers at sea.

More like a Canadian Rust Bucket and a Nigerian ship.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 18, 2018
Nigerian Air Force locally made Tsaigumi UAV.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 5:43pm On Mar 18, 2018
Henry240:
Nigerian and Canadian ships conduct exercise maneuvers at sea.

More like a Canadian Rust Bucket and a Nigerian ship.
that Canadian thing is a boat

(1) (2) (3) ... (1615) (1616) (1617) (1618) (1619) (1620) (1621) ... (2841) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: oloyesaso(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.