Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,556 members, 7,809,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:17 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (171) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5948409 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (2841) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:30am On May 26, 2015
africaken:
Kenya Police: only one dead and the rest of the Officers survived Yumbis terror attack
Read more at: http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000163582&story_title=we-have-accounted-for-all-missing-officers-police-chief-says-over-yumbis-attack

Good grace.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:36am On May 26, 2015
Henry120:

South-Africa still got massive support from the Europeans despite the embargo. I recall the Portuguese government ordered tons of Super-Puma spare parts, and thereafter transferred them to South-Africa.

However, there is no denying, the South-African defence industry despite the embargo thrived. Without the embargo, they would have been larger.

As for Sudan, their industry has done well primarily because of the support from Iran, China and Pakistan.
i believe also most countries which experienced devastating and overwhelming wars this has forced them to develop an indigenous military industries e.g ethiopia
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:59am On May 26, 2015
africaken:
i believe also most countries which experienced devastating and overwhelming wars this has forced them to develop an indigenous military industries e.g ethiopia

I agree. It became inevitable that Ethiopia grows it's defence industry, and by African standards, it is significantly developed.

I look at both the Gripen C/D and Super-Tucano, an I wonder how both Aircrafts can be classified as Swedish and Brazilian respectively.

There is absolutely nothing rocket science about building and growing a Defence industry. I'm yet to see a country that is self dependent, okay perhaps in the larger context Germany, France, the U.S and Russia, but that is pretty much it.

The inability for many African countries to develop a defence industry, at-least from my Nigerian POV is Religious, outside pressure and a bunch of leaders who cannot seem to see the bigger picture.

Religion and a lack of foresight are in my opinion the most inhibiting factors.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:56pm On May 26, 2015
also some high ranking offices who just want to enrich themselves in kickbacks ,i know a guy who is in the kenya army as an officer and like 6 month was just in the neighborhood having fun just because his father is a high ranking officer.that guy used to see me and just take off when ever we were having conversation with friends about security issues because he knew i wasn't a dumb a$% he could tell his fake adventures.the problem with africa we giving military jobs to people who dont want to be soldeirs and they are the decision makers,if this man chooses to run even the private will run

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 26, 2015
Random Uganda

1.Uganda SF
2,3. Uganda boarding team with, US.marines
4. Uganda training Somali army in Uganda

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:16am On May 27, 2015
Congolese Army soldiers

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:59am On May 27, 2015
Nigeria COIN, Nigerian army losses

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:23am On May 27, 2015
denisfidha:
Random Uganda

1.Uganda SF
2,3. Uganda boarding team with, US.marines
4. Uganda training Somali army in Uganda
those are somalias in uganda army uniforms
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:32am On May 27, 2015
kenyan army special forces ranger or para in yumbis close to the kenya/ somalia border

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:48am On May 27, 2015
I got all excited sometime back when I heard this news http://www.marsecreview.com/2014/08/kenya-plans-new-opv/ I had seen another article in which DoD was planning periodic acquisition of 7 OPV.

Now I find out ministry of fisheries will be the one in charge of this new OPV, http://www.wms.com.bd/offshore-patrol-vessel/ I hope that's not it, the Navy needs some upgrades

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:51am On May 27, 2015
africaken:
those are somalias in uganda army uniforms
year, SNA in Ugandan Uniform
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:18pm On May 27, 2015
i was reading on the south africa R5 rifle and i was just wondering why did south africa mass produce and sell this weapon considering it seems only like only two countries posses it outside south africa .the chinese are still mass producing the type-56 and flooding it all around the world
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 7:24pm On May 27, 2015
Henry120:

The South-Africans are entirely to blame for how poor the Rooivalk has done. Not only did they produce so few of them for their own Airforce, their marketing of the bird was extremely naive from the word go.

As soon as they were done with the bird, they immediately ran to Europe to market it. Things aren't done that way, the Europeans already have a plethora of birds to choose from, plus American bullying to contend with.

The innitators of the project had a complete disconnect with Africa, and the program has paid dearly for it.

If the Chinese/Pakistanis/Turks/Indians had built the Rooivalk, it would be the number 1 bird in their various regions.

The Chinese would first have inducted many, and offered the bird straight up to the Pakistanis, then Sri-Lanka, Malaysia, et al would have followed suit.

The Turks/Pakistanis would offer the bird to Saudi-Arabia, Qatar, Egypt, UAE, Morroco, Libya et al....... and so it goes.

South-Africa should have first tried to market the bird at home, Algeria, Morocco, Egypt, Nigeria, would have purchased a significant number of units, with the Helicopter seeing operations in Algeria, Egypt, Nigeria other countries across Asia and South-America would have followed suite.

The South-Africans effectively killed their own program.

1. Allmost no African nations can afford the Rooivalk, those that can are allready deep in the pockets of the Americans (Egypt) or Russia (algeria/Morocco)

2. The Rooivalk was never developed for export - it was developed for the SAAF, export was just a potential side-effect

3. Or really? the Chinese Z-10 is operated by... China alone with a tiny order from Pakistan, the Indian HAL is operated by... India alone

Facts are that it is simply too expensive for any non-aligned African nation to aquire and operate, Nigeria included. Furthermore, since it was not designed as an export product it is meaningless to constantly discuss sales as some form of yard-stick by which to measure the bird.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 7:27pm On May 27, 2015
africaken:
why is it that most african countries are taking their equipments to be overhauled or upgraded in the eastern bloc,europe ,israel e.t.c jobs that could be done by denel !

There is a certain North African state who came to us for an upgrade...

Yet again... its a question of money

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:32am On May 28, 2015
As Nigeria Prepares for a historical handover from a ruling party to an opposition party, i'll be sure to post photos of the event as they come in.

Federal Secretariat building undergoing a make over.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:38am On May 28, 2015
SANDF Troops

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:41am On May 28, 2015
Nigerian Troops

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:13am On May 28, 2015
School of infantry -Sniper school

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by agaugust: 5:01pm On May 28, 2015
africaken:
Sudan made anti-tank guided missile (SARIB)

Chinese products in disguise : http://www.janes.com/article/49341/idex-2015-sudan-boosts-presence-second-time-around
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:56pm On May 28, 2015
Nigerian Air Force

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:17am On May 29, 2015
Italian Airforce C27J at the Nigerian Airforce Air expo 2012, with NAF G222 and ATR 42 in the background.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:13am On May 29, 2015
Terror shatters family of Constable Dickens Wakhu killed in Yumbis attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUbyvZYkcxY#t=172
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:25am On May 29, 2015
U.S. and Moroccan F-16s train during largest Department of Defense exercise in Africa

morocco F-16 in fight refueling with US Air force tanker

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:45am On May 29, 2015
this is how countries which own MIL-Utility Choppers could use them as gunships

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_icRdhm41M
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:42am On May 29, 2015
sudan airforce MI-171's

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:44pm On May 29, 2015
agaugust:

Chinese products in disguise : http://www.janes.com/article/49341/idex-2015-sudan-boosts-presence-second-time-around
i believe most of the weapon being produced by emerging weapon manufacturers are exact copies or upgraded copies from a previous manufacturers but what pissing me off is why can we in the sub-sahara do the same
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 29, 2015
Nigeria COIN

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:13pm On May 29, 2015
South African families among ISIL's newest recruits

[quoteJohannesburg, South Africa - At least 23 South African citizens have travelled to Iraq and Syria to join the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant group (ISIL), raising concerns of recruitment activity among the country’s sizeable Muslim community, an Al Jazeera investigation has revealed.

Various sources have confirmed with Al Jazeera that at least 23 people, including families with children, have left South Africa to join ISIL over the past year. At least eight families are believed to be among the recruits.][/quote]the link http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/05/south-african-families-isil-newest-recruits-150529094806722.html
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 7:56pm On May 29, 2015
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 29, 2015
asorockweb:

Not a DShk

It's an NSV or a Kord. Too lazy to verify.
we were both wrong its a china made W-85 heavy machine gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q_itWCP16c
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by asorockweb: 12:10am On May 30, 2015
africaken:
we were both wrong its a china made W-85 heavy machine gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q_itWCP16c

Nope.

In the first few seconds of the video, the guy said "... chance to shoot the Kord Machine gun. This one is the Chinese made version ..."

So the gun IN the video is a Chinese copy of the Kord. That's all we can determine from the beginning of the video :-)
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:01am On May 30, 2015
Kenya will host an anti-terror conference involving all the neighbouring countries and at least 20 other African countries and 16 European nations to find a working formula to contain the al shabaab. The news came as the interior ministry announced that 85 radicalised youth have surrendered to the government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BiQ2kYDAvI

In other related news, in what most people din't pay attention to, 3 days after the Garissa attack, other terrorist suspects were arrested surveiling a shopping mall in Nairobi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkJBv-8ij2w

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (2841) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: amen2seye, slimthugchimee2(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.