Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (720) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5944839 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) ... (2840) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 7:12am On Oct 26, 2016
andrewza:

Brits have never exported it. People call all composit armour chobbam these days and that is wrong. America use there own composit armour developed in America. South all so uses it's own composit armour.

Chobbam is britsh only used by them. It has become a word used to describe all composit armour but this is wrong.

Jeez if you want to get super technical then ja/nie

The official code name for the armour tech the british gave Americans and West Germans is Burlington Armour was changed to Chobbham.

The armour on the Chally 2 is Dorchester Armour which evolved from Burlington

Chobbham is the over-arching name to describe the whole family - including Almagest, Buckhorse, Pageant and some other experimental ones

Chobbham armour is, specifically, the name for the British family of composite armor technology. Americans were given access to that family of technology right from the start - late 1960s.

So when people say Chobbham they mean one of the 5 types of armor listed above.

When they talk about Chobbham and refer to an operational tank they mean either Burlington or Dorchester.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:28am On Oct 26, 2016
Patchesagain:

Again, no Abrams with the DU layer has ever been penetrated.

Big difference between the M1, M1A1, M1A2 and M1A2's with SEP (1, 2 and 3)... As well as the other half dozen upgrade systems floating around (TUSK, HA+ etc)

Iraqis use the old M1A1 (no DU, no SEP, not fully digitised), Saudis use mainly M1A2S (degraded SEP v1) which have chobbham but no DU.

The DU is the key.
why is pentagon busy trying to hurriedly develop an active protection system, depleted uranium armor is just propaganda especially after the 2006 Lebanon and what happening in syria. america has realized its tanks are vulnerable

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 26, 2016
[quote author=gottfried21 post=50496632][/quote]its built by Astilleros SArmon and it can be either Río Jallas/Río Navia fast speed Patrol Boat.i can't tell the difference between those two grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 8:00am On Oct 26, 2016
africaken254:
why is pentagon busy trying to hurriedly develop an active protection system, depleted uranium armor is just propaganda especially after the 2006 Lebanon and what happening in syria. america has realized its tanks are vulnerable

Merkava uses indigenous composits, T72B and above use combinations of ERA and NERA. Neither has DU.

DU isn't a propaganda - it's combat history speaks for itself.

The US Army is not desperately trying to get APS - they are focusing on SEP v3, the USMC is for reasons I explained above.

US Army and USMC have different equipment and acquisition programs.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 26, 2016
using DU armor and shells in the field conditions is a big headache for the obvious reasons
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by BlackBaron: 8:56am On Oct 26, 2016
The C295 news sounds great. However I'd always wished for the AC 295 configuration than the regular one.
Costs for it I guess would be very prohibitive, shells, missiles and so.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:13am On Oct 26, 2016
Patchesagain:

Work out the flight costs. Remember when RSA got offered a lease of those 5 MPAs? It worked out to an operational cost of R155 million per year with one flying every 2 days, excluding acquisition costs.

Your budget is shrinking not growing, with the war against Boko winding down its going to be harder and harder to get money from Govt who would rather use it to buy votes.

Actually on the budget, the Nigerian government budget grew from 3.3 trillion naira (GEJ) to 8 trillion naira under Buhari. That's more than 100%.

Nigerian Air Force Doniers are in need of a replacement, the G222 would be complemented by the C295 and the purchase would be spread to 2019 atleast. The increased cost of running old Doniers would go into running more modern more fuel efficient C295.

The campaign against Boko is winding down, but the Boko threat still remains and would for the forseeable future still be potent. The recent acquisitions for the Nigerian Air Force are a natural progression. Old equipment would have to be replaced.

The Nigerian Air Force is in the process of replacing and modernising of it's equipment. The Alpha jets, L-39, MB-339, Jaguar jet, Donier all have to be replaced.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 26, 2016
BlackBaron:
The C295 news sounds great. However I'd always wished for the AC 295 configuration than the regular one.
Costs for it I guess would be very prohibitive, shells, missiles and so.

At $28 million per aircraft, it's price is decent. We could see the NAF going for 5 or 6 units. If the NTA report is not an illusion and NAF orders 20 JF-17s, that would also be great. 20 JF-17s and the 12 F-7s already in service, 32.

We also look at a lead in fighter trainer to replace our Alpha jets, I don't think the Tucano can replace the Alphas.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:51am On Oct 26, 2016
South-African Recces SF Commandos

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 26, 2016
In a bid to sustain it's ship replenishment exercise the Nigerian navy combines procurement of ships and boats from local shipyards as well as from abroad.

Nigerian navy tug boat, Ugwu represents the navy's continued drive at local shipbuilding. Built at the Navy's shipyard in Port-harcourt and Launched this 2016, Tug-boat Ugwu joins, NNS Karaduwa, NNS Andoni and other locally built crafts in the Navy's service.

The Nigerian navy along with her technical partners is still looking at adding and exporting additional vessels. Two locally built ships, a Landing Ship Tank(LST) and a Hydrographic Ship are to be built soon, while i suspect additional Littoral Combat Ships would be built in the no distant future.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 1:23pm On Oct 26, 2016
Does anyone know who was Commander Ugwu.?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 1:27pm On Oct 26, 2016
Henry240:
In a bid to sustain it's ship replenishment exercise the Nigerian navy combines procurement of ships and boats from local shipyards as well as from abroad.

Nigerian navy tug boat, Ugwu represents the navy's continued drive at local shipbuilding. Built at the Navy's shipyard in Port-harcourt and Launched this 2016, Tug-boat Ugwu joins, NNS Karaduwa, NNS Andoni and other locally built crafts in the Navy's service.

The Nigerian navy along with her technical partners is still looking at adding and exporting additional vessels. Two locally built ships, a Landing Ship Tank(LST) and a Hydrographic Ship are to be built soon, while i suspect additional Littoral Combat Ships would be built in the no distant future.

My tug is bigger than yours wink

Damen ATD 2909, locally built 2 delivered to SAN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqizvs4jfbc

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 1:50pm On Oct 26, 2016
Henry and other Naijjers,whatever happened to the Vickers 3? I don't see any operational pics. How've they performed in the hot dry NE savannahs? Have any been hit by RPGs or B10s? If so,did they survive? How does the NA compare it with your new T72s? I know here a number of armour guys actually prefer it.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 2:02pm On Oct 26, 2016
South Africa - Radar and Electronic Warfare Demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCAGZKRPH2g

Some fvcking high tech sh1t in there lads.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 26, 2016
edit
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 2:17pm On Oct 26, 2016
[size=15pt]P.1.M.P MY RIDE: TACTICAL TRAILER EDITION[/size]

So.

Some Anti-Poaching game rangers gave a trailer to the CSIR and asked them to make it "tactical"

Wait until you see all the capabilities they packed into a civilian trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhCnFiQCbFk
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 26, 2016
Patchesagain:

Merkava uses indigenous composits, T72B and above use combinations of ERA and NERA. Neither has DU.

DU isn't a propaganda - it's combat history speaks for itself.

The US Army is not desperately trying to get APS - they are focusing on SEP v3, the USMC is for reasons I explained above.

US Army and USMC have different equipment and acquisition programs.
the may but they still face the same enemy and another thing DU armour is only used on the front and both sides of the turret. leaving the rear vulnerable
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 26, 2016
patches689:

My tug is bigger than yours wink

Damen ATD 2909, locally built 2 delivered to SAN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqizvs4jfbc

Requirement...... duh!

I believe across the board we have developed the capabilities to build vessels which are 62 meters and below across all classes.

Besides, no basis for a comparison, SA defence industry is well ahead, we get that.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 26, 2016
patches689:
[size=15pt]P.1.M.P MY RIDE: TACTICAL TRAILER EDITION[/size]

So.

Some Anti-Poaching game rangers gave a trailer to the CSIR and asked them to make it "tactical"

Wait until you see all the capabilities they packed into a civilian trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhCnFiQCbFk

It's a nice build. However nothing to elicit huge reaction, it's a basic upgrade. Survival pack upgrade.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 2:58pm On Oct 26, 2016
Henry240:

It's a nice build. However nothing to elicit huge reaction, it's a basic upgrade. Survival pack upgrade.

Yes not a big deal... apart from the fact that they fitted a 5 man ten, cammo netting, fridge big enough for a weeks meals, 200 liters of water, generator, solar panels, comms equipment, electric fencing and a hot shower into a tiny trailer

The huge reaction is due to the comedic over-reaction from CSIR. Much like in the show "p1mp my ride" they went completely overboard in their upgrade, likely completely exceeding the rangers expectations and thus pushing the boundaries of ridiculousness.

->the joke

... well you know

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 26, 2016
kikuyu1:
Henry and other Naijjers,whatever happened to the Vickers 3? I don't see any operational pics. How've they performed in the hot dry NE savannahs? Have any been hit by RPGs or B10s? If so,did they survive? How does the NA compare it with your new T72s? I know here a number of armour guys actually prefer it.

NA Vickers are kicking ass pretty well. They operate along side the T-72s. Generally photos from the N.E has slowed, but they are very active.

Yes, we have suffered Vickers losses, i know one confirmed, broken down in combat, and had to be towed by another Vickers. Most Vickers deployed in the N.E had an upgrade, with a computerized FCS added to the vehicles.

I cannot say which is better, of the 42 T-72s deployed in the N.E, we haven't had any combat loss. The T-72s have suffered quite a beating with VBIEDs, IEDs, 14.5mm and RPG, none has so far been lost in combat.

Without a full knowledge of the N.E picture it's hard to tell.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 26, 2016
patches689:

Yes not a big deal... apart from the fact that they fitted a 5 man ten, cammo netting, fridge big enough for a weeks meals, 200 liters of water, generator, solar panels, comms equipment, electric fencing and a hot shower into a tiny trailer

... well you know

The aforementioned are to be expected in an upgrade. The client made request and CSIR fulfilled that request. Power comes from Solar panel, Inverter batteries and a generator. Which charges comms devices, the fences and keeps the Cammo netting intact.

Basically, basic stuff done.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:16pm On Oct 26, 2016
Henry240:

The aforementioned are to be expected in an upgrade. The client made request and CSIR fulfilled that request. Power comes from Solar panel, Inverter batteries and a generator. Which charges comms devices, the fences and keeps the Cammo netting intact.

Basically, basic stuff done.

O I get it, you are being intentionally obtuse.

Later.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 3:20pm On Oct 26, 2016
patches689:
South Africa - Radar and Electronic Warfare Demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCAGZKRPH2g

Some fvcking high tech sh1t in there lads.
This should be the best post you have ever posted in here.
Electronic warfare is the real deal in modern warfare. In fact jamming is life lol.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 3:31pm On Oct 26, 2016
Nigerian Security And Civil Defence Corps.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 26, 2016
Botswana defence force

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 26, 2016
Ghana

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:30pm On Oct 26, 2016
AMISOM, Somalia

Afgoye police bomb blast

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 26, 2016

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 8:26pm On Oct 26, 2016
Africaken your kenya government is very stupid, first they said they were building a border wall. Now they say they are actually building one but a human wall, whatever that means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbz3Fy-f0oA
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 26, 2016
Quiet professionals.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 26, 2016

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) ... (2840) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.