Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,477 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (747) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5944303 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (744) (745) (746) (747) (748) (749) (750) ... (2840) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jteku(m): 5:50am On Nov 08, 2016
TROOPS NEUTRALIZE 13 INSURGENTS IN KANGARWA

Troops of 119 Task Force Battalion, 8 Division Nigerian Army, deployed at Kangarwa, Kukawa Local Government Area of Northern Borno State, have yesterday neutralized 13 Boko Haram terrorists in a counter attack carried out by the troops.

Unfortunately, 1 soldier paid the supreme price during the encounter, while 3 soldiers were wounded in action.

The offensive which began at about 4.00pm and lasted for roughly four hours, necessitated the troops calling for air support to which the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) promptly responded by dispatching an Intelligence Surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft and a Ground Attack Fighter Aircraft in support of the ground offensive.

The fierce counter also saw some insurgents fleeing with gunshot wounds and abandoning logistics and weapons.

The troops also neutralized 2 Hilux vehicles belonging to the insurgents and recovered the following; a Hilux vehicle, 1 Browning Machine Gun (BMG), 1 Anti Aircraft Gun (AAG), 2 General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMG), 1 Light Machine Gun (LMG), 2 Rocket Propelled Guns Seven (RPG 7) tubes and bombs, 5 AK-47 Rifles and 550 Rounds of Anti-Aircraft Gun ammunition.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:17am On Nov 08, 2016
jteku:
TROOPS NEUTRALIZE 13 INSURGENTS IN KANGARWA

Troops of 119 Task Force Battalion, 8 Division Nigerian Army, deployed at Kangarwa, Kukawa Local Government Area of Northern Borno State, have yesterday neutralized 13 Boko Haram terrorists in a counter attack carried out by the troops.

Unfortunately, 1 soldier paid the supreme price during the encounter, while 3 soldiers were wounded in action.

The offensive which began at about 4.00pm and lasted for roughly four hours, necessitated the troops calling for air support to which the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) promptly responded by dispatching an Intelligence Surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft and a Ground Attack Fighter Aircraft in support of the ground offensive.

The fierce counter also saw some insurgents fleeing with gunshot wounds and abandoning logistics and weapons.

The troops also neutralized 2 Hilux vehicles belonging to the insurgents and recovered the following; a Hilux vehicle, 1 Browning Machine Gun (BMG), 1 Anti Aircraft Gun (AAG), 2 General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMG), 1 Light Machine Gun (LMG), 2 Rocket Propelled Guns Seven (RPG 7) tubes and bombs, 5 AK-47 Rifles and 550 Rounds of Anti-Aircraft Gun ammunition.

@Tdayof, here are pictures from the ground, it seems the Air Force did take out the technical. It looks like it was hit by an airstrike.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:31am On Nov 08, 2016
giles14:
pls wen are we going to buy d A29 ,it will b needed in dis dry season
The A29 is subject to US government approval. So I never expected to see them this year. My problem has been on the equipment we could receive.

Why haven't the Mi-35m and MI-17 terminator been fast-tracked? These are stuffs we could have gotten from Russian surplus stock while we wait for new equipment.

The army should have received new Tanks, IFV and much heavier equipment by now. Troops additional body armour. Also more Reva MRAPs or big-foot should have been delivered. Jonathan bought 120 Big-foot and 43 Read, Buhari should have already doubled this figure by now.

Yet we have seen nothing.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:35am On Nov 08, 2016
jln115:

Linear=Straight, well that's basically all i really understood!

Maybe he meant that the F-7 is fast in a straight line?? They always talk about interceptors needing excellent linear speed/Straight line speed!!

But personally ive never heard of a Linear Interceptor

The reason for asking is, he says they are a linear interceptor but we always see these aircrafts carrying out ground attack operations in Nigeria. From the videos released by the NAF, these bombings by have been pretty accurate.

Doesn't it poke a hole?

Cc: Nemesis2u

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 08, 2016
jln115:

You wont really need the Super Tucano if you're buying the JF-17, but if you're going for a dedicated COIN aircraft, IMO Nigeria should invest in the ARHLAC, it would cost half of what the Tucano costs and has a longer range and endurance, it also has more hard-points and can take-off from a 550m runway when fully loaded, max payload is also only slightly less than that of the A29!

The Super Tucano according to the Air Force would replace the Alpha jet which have 2 or 3 years of service life left. They are needed.

My problem with the arhlac is, it is a new platform. What we need is a tested platform that is equally nimble enough to turn in a dime.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:46am On Nov 08, 2016
tdayof:

What type of equipment are we expecting from the army now? What type of attack helicopter is the army planning to get too.

Those technical went somewhere, I guess the NAF tracked them down.

I don't know to be honest. The army has been rather quiet. At the top of my head, I'll say additional Tanks, IFV, MRAP, self-propelled artillery, Shilka.

We are realistically looking at Russian or armed light utility helicopters.

The NAF took them out.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 08, 2016
nemesis2u:

yes i can 100% confirm u r going to see a dedicated army aviation wing .

lot of things have to be done other than buying before establishing the same.

ur army guys r all the place looking to benefit from other countries army aviation experience/SOPs etc.

it will take some time . but the order/intent is clear.
We have been reading about an airwing for donkey years now, yet no actual movement. Pilots have been trained no platform.

They are usually all over the place, Nigerians are more often than not, all over the place, what actually counts is the infrastructure on the ground.

We don't have the time.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 6:51am On Nov 08, 2016
Henry240:

The Super Tucano according to the Air Force would replace the Alpha jet which have 2 or 3 years of service life left. They are needed.

My problem with the arhlac is, it is a new platform. What we need is a tested platform that is equally nimble enough to turn in a dime.
The Super Tucano will never replace the Alpha jets.

Different.

Nigeria needs fighter training aircraft to bridge the gap between your air force basic flight training aircraft and the F-7 or the JF-17 if it is be acquired.

Maybe the L-15(type acquired by Zambia).

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:56am On Nov 08, 2016
MikeCZA:

Different.

Nigeria needs fighter training aircraft to bridge the gap between your air force basic flight training aircraft and the F-7 or the JF-17 if it is be acquired.

That's why I find this Super Tucano talk of replacing the Alpha jet to be very weird.

The L-15 or Yak-130 is the sort of aircraft we need.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:17am On Nov 08, 2016
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:20am On Nov 08, 2016
More images from the burial of 7 Nigerian soldiers, including LT. col Abu Ali and Able seaman S. M Patrick.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 8:05am On Nov 08, 2016
Henry240:

The A29 is subject to US government approval. So I never expected to see them this year. My problem has been on the equipment we could receive.

Why haven't the Mi-35m and MI-17 terminator been fast-tracked? These are stuffs we could have gotten from Russian surplus stock while we wait for new equipment.

The army should have received new Tanks, IFV and much heavier equipment by now. Troops additional body armour. Also more Reva MRAPs or big-foot should have been delivered. Jonathan bought 120 Big-foot and 43 Read, Buhari should have already doubled this figure by now.

bros buhari issue pass my head.

The minister of defense, CDS and the other service chief's ought to have fast track the deal.
afterall they have been traveling and touring different military and defence industries.

buhari can't do all things alone.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:40am On Nov 08, 2016
Henry240:

The reason for asking is, he says they are a linear interceptor but we always see these aircrafts carrying out ground attack operations in Nigeria. From the videos released by the NAF, these bombings by have been pretty accurate.

Doesn't it poke a hole?

the use of the F7 or any aircraft outside its intended role is the credit of the pilots and the technicians or rather is the testimony of the ability of the pilots and the technicians.

any aircraft which is designed for a specific primary role , need not be limited to that role , there are many ways depending on the proficiency of the pilots and the ground crew, that the said aircraft can be utilized for other secondary roles effectively within the design limitations ofcourse.

also would u or anybody risk the F7 in the role of a ground attack platform in a highly contested airspace,in this role its weapons loads together with the drop tanks will not allow it to carry any AAM . every aircraft wing is rated to carry a specified load-out . u cannot exceed it. etc etc.

now the hole is permanently sealed grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:51am On Nov 08, 2016
x
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:52am On Nov 08, 2016
tdayof:

What and what are they getting? Hal Manufacturers helicopter?

i never said anything about acquisitions , they r mostly embedded to learn the whole process of setting up, running the relevant day to day operations , the SOPs , coordination / synchronization of air and land elements etc etc plus the necessary training in all the relevant fields for dissemination back in Nigeria.

all these takes time upto 5 years depending on the urgency , it is not just about the platforms , u will need to build up an entire ecosystem starting from comms to suitable FOBs/bases/infrastructure etc etc. it is not so simple as it sounds.

from what i know teams r there in as many as 5 countries plus/minus 1 or 2 , certain info r always kept ambiguous
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:59am On Nov 08, 2016
Chief of Army Staff,Buratai Weeps As Military Buries 7 Soldiers .

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 08, 2016
Lt. Col Ali's father, Brigadier-Gen. Abu Ali (Rtd). His father is Etsu of Bassa- Nge Kingdom (Kogi State), North -Central Nigeria.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 08, 2016
giles14:
bros buhari issue pass my head.

The minister of defense, CDS and the other service chief's ought to have fast track the deal.
afterall they have been traveling and touring different military and defence industries.

buhari can't do all things alone.

The whole thing just tire me!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 10:50am On Nov 08, 2016
MikeCZA:

Different.

Textron Scorpion

Would be a valid replacement for the Alpha Jet as well.

Then you end up with the Tucano as a light trainer, light-strike platform

Textron Scorpion as a jet trainer, strike platform

and JF-17

Every platform would have multiple roles and usages, which maximizes your capital returns.

Then you throw in the AHRLAC as a cheap recon platform and you call it a day

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 10:59am On Nov 08, 2016
Henry240:

Bigfoot is not a great idea.

I saw one in Bejing, you can tell just by looking at it that it has poor off-road abilities. The fact that your government hasnt pushed forward with its procurement suggests that they arent thrilled with it either.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 11:03am On Nov 08, 2016
Henry240:

Doesn't it poke a hole?

In WW2 there was an american pilot who was famous for strapping a whole bunch of bazookas to the wings of his spotter aircraft.

Doesnt make it a ground attack platform, just a spotter with some bazookas strapped to it.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stephandeswardt: 11:13am On Nov 08, 2016
patches689:

Textron Scorpion

and JF-17

Every platform would have multiple roles and usages, which maximizes your capital returns.

I think that's what the l39 is used for now.......jet training, so they might not be thinking of a replacement of the alpha for that role..
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 11:15am On Nov 08, 2016
patches689:

Textron Scorpion

and JF-17

Unproven platforms would be Henry240's argument.

The AHRLAC is great for COIN and also as a dedicated EW platform to intercept and distrust insurgent coms, IEDs etc .. Just to think about what one can do with the AHRLAC is amazing, I honestly wish we bought a few for the FIB or the Kruger Park.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bantudra: 12:52pm On Nov 08, 2016
Henry240:
Chief of Army Staff,Buratai Weeps As Military Buries 7 Soldiers .

we can not beat boko haram without going all out offensive till the gates of libya...

best is to cause maximum damage on boko haram till libya..

katyuchas..cheap and effective,can even be cross-enginnered on a toyota truck...

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Fidha254(m): 1:11pm On Nov 08, 2016
frumentius:

AMISOM is an AU, not UN mission, so good luck getting re-imbursed by a cash-strapped AU. Besides, Kenya went into Somalia unilaterally, and only got AMISOM-hatted after the fact. We were in Burundi for 10 years paying not just for ourselves, but for Mozambique as well when it was just an AU mission. By the time the UN came in, our mission was over and we consoled ourselves with a job well done for fellow Africans.
Its an AU mission on cover but once you open the book, the money is paid by UN and EU.... The UN is the one that gave the AU the mandate/approaval for the Amisom mission.....Kenya negotiated with UN on what would be reimbursed but the. UN security council refused
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 1:49pm On Nov 08, 2016
Henry240:
Lt. Col Ali's father, Brigadier-Gen. Abu Ali (Rtd). His father is Etsu of Bassa- Nge Kingdom (Kogi State), North -Central Nigeria.

He was the son of once a military Governor from kogi state.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 1:57pm On Nov 08, 2016
bantudra:

we can not beat boko haram without going all out offensive till the gates of libya...

best is to cause maximum damage on boko haram till libya..

katyuchas..cheap and effective,can even be cross-enginnered on a toyota truck...

Katyucha's

For when you want to hit nothing, and everything... at the same time
cool

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:01pm On Nov 08, 2016
patches689:

Bigfoot is not a great idea.

I saw one in Bejing, you can tell just by looking at it that it has poor off-road abilities. The fact that your government hasnt pushed forward with its procurement suggests that they arent thrilled with it either.

I've seen the big-foot up close, I think it's a proper APC, a troop carrier. The Reva is obviously more mobile, fast and nimble hence it is the best choice for the strike force. However it lacks the troop carrying capacity of the big-foot.

It is hard to see what the Nigerian army is getting.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 08, 2016
patches689:

Textron Scorpion

and JF-17

The Textron is a bad idea on all levels. Our options for a lead-in fighter trainer are European, Chinese & Russian. Of this 3, only the Chinese can provide us a favourable payment plan.

Even at that, the Textron is a new, unproven plane. We don't have the luxury of luck or the money to afford one.

It is difficult to see whether the Tucano would be purchased anytime soon. It's a much longer process.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by BlackBaron: 2:07pm On Nov 08, 2016
What's the Mission Capable Rates for the aircrafts in the Airforce?
We've seen more use of jets than rotary wings in CAS.

RIP to that Commander.
Tired of complaining about the little urgency in fast tracking new purchases in.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 08, 2016
Senegal

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 08, 2016
Henry240:

-Tucano replacing Alpha jets?? So what are you going to use as a lead in fighter trainer??You can't expect student pilots to go from a single engined prop aircraft straight to a supersonic jet aircraft....you need something in between.

- yes I agree its in untested, but werent all aircraft untested at one stage?

(1) (2) (3) ... (744) (745) (746) (747) (748) (749) (750) ... (2840) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.