Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,711 members, 7,802,157 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping (47242 Views)

Snake Killed In Ojodu Berger, Aina street Lagos / The Snake A Nairalander Killed In His Neighbour's Farm / 'Helicopter' Manufactured By Two Boys In Anambra State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by mukina2: 3:01pm On Aug 06, 2013

The owner of a 100-pound snake that escaped from a pet store and strangled two young brothers as they slept in an apartment above has described the horrific moment he found their lifeless bodies.

Jean-Claude Savoie, who lives above the Reptile Ocean pet store in Campbellton in New Brunswick, Canada, went to check on Connor Barth, 7, and his brother Noah, 5, at 6.30am on Monday.

'They were sleeping,' he said in an interview after the heartbreaking discovery. But 'they didn't even open their eyes or nothing. I thought they were sleeping until I [saw] the hole in the ceiling. I turned the lights on and I [saw] this horrific scene.'

He explained: '[The snake] went through a ventilation system. I don't understand how it did it. It went through the ceiling... and the snake fell into the living room from the ceiling.'

Mr Savoie said that the boys were the sons of his best friend, Mandy Trecartin, and that they often stayed at his home, where they slept in the living room.

The night they were killed, he was hosting them at a sleepover with his own son, but the boy was in another room and was not harmed.

My body is in shock. I don't know what to think,' he told the Global News. 'I feel like they're my kids.'

The boys are believed to have been strangled to death by the 100-pound, 14-foot African Rock Python, the News reported, but an autopsy is being carried out today to determine the exact cause of death.

A criminal investigation is also underway but so far no charges have been brought.

Mr Savoie said that after finding the boys' bodies, he found the snake coiled in a hole nearby, held it down and put it in a cage.

He said he believes the creeping serpent, which he has owned for a decade, slithered upstairs into his apartment through the ventilation ducts and creeped into the ceiling.

It then fell through the ceiling and dropped onto the small boys from above. He said he believes the snake coiled around both children and crushed them as they slept together on the floor.

The snake is not usually handled by anyone in the store and Mr Savoie said he does not know how it escaped its cage in the pet shop.

'How he got loose, I don’t know,' a former employee, Tim Thomas, told the National Post. 'Because ever since Jean-Claude got full custody of his child, every cage had two locks on it, and one of them was a master lock and the keys to that were hung up in the laundry room.'

He added: 'Jean-Claude loved them kids and he would have never, ever put them in danger at all.'

Reptile Ocean is home to a veritable menagerie of exotic animals, including crocodiles, tarantulas, tortoises and numerous snakes.

The Post reports that the snake was a 14 to 16-foot African rock python that even its owner said was 'vicious' and was rarely handled.

Tim Thomas, a former Reptile Ocean employee, told the newspaper that when he learned of the tragedy, he immediately called Mr Savoie's best friend, Mandy Trecartin, who told him it was her boys who were killed.

Neighbor Diane Fournier confirmed to MailOnline that it was Connor and Noah who had been killed.

She described how she often saw the brothers happily playing together outside. They were fascinated by animals, she said, and often came over to pet her dog.

'The kids were always playing and laughing. They were really full of joy and lots of energy,' she said.

Facebook photos show both of the boys handling a small corn snake - called Mr Slithers - owned by their mother, a teleservices agent at Service New Brunswick, a local government agency.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2385145/Python-strangles-2-boys-5-7-sleep-New-Brunswick-Canada.html
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Acidosis(m): 3:23pm On Aug 06, 2013
Terrible!

shocked shocked

But where I come from, we don't play with serpents.
The bush may 'haunt' the hunter someday..

2 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 06, 2013
Horrible!
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Fitzy4real(m): 3:43pm On Aug 06, 2013
Chei!!! What a tragedy!!!
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by ebamma(m): 3:44pm On Aug 06, 2013
If your neighbour owns a snake shop or is raising snakes as pets there are two things involved, its either u pack out and leave the area for him or u stay
if u pack out u are safe, but if u choose to stay there are two things involved, its either u will wake up one day to find yourself in an hospital bed or in an hospital mortuary
if u find yourself in an hospital bed u are safe, but if u find yourself in an hospital mortuary there are two things involved, its either u are on your way to heaven or on your way to hell, if you are on your way to heaven u are safe, but if u are on your way to hell there is only one thing involved u are doomed

122 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by lifestyle1(m): 3:44pm On Aug 06, 2013
Unfortunate

2 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by valencia25(m): 3:44pm On Aug 06, 2013
OMG: Look at this cute boys...

RIP Boys!

3 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Pasidon(m): 3:44pm On Aug 06, 2013
Those boys were used for rituals... if only that man will say d truth

2 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by owolabifunke14(f): 3:44pm On Aug 06, 2013
Oyinbo dey mad. Well he don use his friend's sons do money ritual.

2 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by koolet: 3:45pm On Aug 06, 2013
The worst part is dat the children are not even his sonsad ....dayyum RIP Cute kids
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by kokoye(m): 3:46pm On Aug 06, 2013
I still dont believe they were strangled by a snake - snakes dont strangle for fun..they do it when they are hungry!

There's something they're not telling us.

7 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Chrisdavis: 3:46pm On Aug 06, 2013
Oyinbos and their mumu sense sef tomorow now they will release the snake to the wild. R.i.p to the dead..
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 06, 2013
2 sad, i trust my nija police and lawyers, dem go use the owner of the snake make more money. case adjourn till next month or the lawyer handling the case is out the country. 15 years that case no go finish.
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 06, 2013
This is terrible! angry. Who keeps snakes as pet :/

1 Like

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 06, 2013
>: na wah o.
nothing wey pesin no go see for abroad.
d owner of shop shd be jailed wit all his animals in one cell.

1 Like

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by bookface: 3:50pm On Aug 06, 2013
I wonder if there are people who actually believed that a python could punch a hole through the wall (with what?) and the strangle two kids (silently and both kids together?) and then the same python refuses to swallow its prey but chose to lie down quietly ... yeah right! That b@stard killed those kids and then blamed the humble snake, knowing fully well that a snake cannot defend itself in court.

20 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by mcevans1(m): 3:51pm On Aug 06, 2013
White people and their mentality at times freak me out. How can someone keep a dangerous snake close to where humans live? ZOO don finish?

2 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 06, 2013
Pasidon: Those boys were used for rituals... if only that man will say d truth
..village man sad

4 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Lilprincey(m): 3:52pm On Aug 06, 2013
Those cute boys just died because of a reptile. In pardise dis won't happen again stl hoping for dat day.

2 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by supaeagles(m): 3:53pm On Aug 06, 2013
What a tragic story!!!
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 06, 2013
Saw this on DM cry
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:54pm On Aug 06, 2013
OMG. they just wasted those kids, These Oyinbos no dey hear word, stop keeping dangerous animals.
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 06, 2013
Saddening. RIP to d boys
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by avalontony(m): 3:54pm On Aug 06, 2013
o boy!!!!....the snake heard abt what happened to its fellow in baylsea state, and how rat attacked another in china, and decided to escape......, it must be planning this escape for a long time. RIP to the dead. the snake shld be sent to the pots for peper soup.

3 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by slenderdude: 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
RIP to the young beautiful kids, to think this happened in a country where their animal control policy seem to be working.......makes me wonder what kind of man keep a hundred pound snake in the same house with your kids, if you can protect yourself they Can't! And to to "Best Friend" had the safety of the kids mean as much to you, I bet best friend would not be enough reason to put your kids within a thousand meters close to that snake, let alone the same HOUSE! And GOD!!! They ve gat crocodiles and other dangerous animals in there.
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by obi123: 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2013
bookface:
I wonder if there are people who actually believed that a python could punch a hole through the wall (with what?) and the strangle two kids (silently and both kids together?) and then the same python refuses to swallow its prey but chose to lie down quietly ... yeah right! That b@stard killed those kids and then blamed the humble snake, knowing fully well that a snake cannot defend itself in court.

thank you, also there could be many reasons for this but why did his son sleep separate if they were there for a sleepover .
the story get as e be, anyway trust oyibo they will investigate

6 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by everyday: 3:56pm On Aug 06, 2013
The owner of the snake need to be sued

1 Like

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by slenderdude: 3:56pm On Aug 06, 2013
RIP to the young beautiful kids,
To think this happened in a country where their animal control policy seem to be working.......makes me wonder what kind of man keeps a hundred pounds snake in the same house with kids, if you can protect yourself they Can't! And to the "Best Friend" had the safety of the kids mean as much to you, I bet best friend would not be enough reason to put your kids within a thousand meters close to that snake, let alone the same HOUSE! And GOD!!! They ve gat crocodiles and other dangerous animals in there.
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by MrScript(m): 3:57pm On Aug 06, 2013
Jeezz!. may dia innocent souls rest in Peace Amen!. cn dt specie of snakes b found in Nigeria?
Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by honeric01(m): 3:58pm On Aug 06, 2013
bookface:

Where did you read that?

2 Likes

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by houstonia(m): 4:00pm On Aug 06, 2013
For where you go ever hear say Naija man dey play with Snake? in Nigeria here only magicians handle serpents and even at that they don't just play with it, it's more like a working tool as they tend to make money with it. Well this folks even have reptiles pet store, then they either shouldn't be surprised or should have seen it coming.

1 Like

Re: Snake Strangles Two Boys To Death While Sleeping by Pancho01(m): 4:00pm On Aug 06, 2013
There is sometin snaky about ds whol story. D serpent strangles sleeping sons,bt dd nt hav dem as a meal. Hmmm.... Meanwhl dey were liein stil, i tot snak dnt atak victims wo ar stl?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Experience With The Cobra I Killed Yesterday / 16-Year-Old Boy In Aba Constructs Prototype Houses (Photos) / 13 Photos That Sum Up How The World Has Changed For The Worse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.