Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:28 AM

First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August (21148 Views)

An Unhappy Train Experience From Enugu Railway (photos) / First International Flight Lands At Enugu Airport Amidst Jubilation / Things You Should Have Before Boarding An International Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by ChrisOD: 6:01am On Aug 07, 2013
First international flight takes off from Enugu August 24

Our Reporter August 7, 2013

From ADETUTU FOLASADE-KOYI, Abuja

History will be made in the nation’s aviation industry on August 24, when the first international flight takes off from the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu . Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu yesterday commended the President Goodluck Jonathan administration for making it possible for the Akanu Ibiam International Airport to commence international flight operations.

Ekweremadu gave the commendation against the background of the scheduled commencement of international flights at the airport on August 24 by Ethiopian Airlines.

Other international airlines, including Emirates and Turkish Airlines would soon commence operations at the airport.

Senator Ekweremadu, who described the development as a “major milestone in the infrastructural renewal of the South-East and a monumental boost for both trade and Direct Foreign Investment (DFI) for the entire country,” also said it would alleviate the challenges faced by business persons travelling to the South-East.

“For many decades, the people of the South-East, local and international business communities had waited endlessly for the commencement of international flight operations in this airport. I know the people of the South-East will remain ever grateful to President Jonathan for this breakthrough.”

The deputy president of the Senate also commended the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, whom he said took the initial practical steps towards making the airport an international facility and a sub-regional aviation hub.

Extolling the Jonathan administration for faithfully nurturing his predecessor’s dream to reality, Senator Ekweremadu said the materialization of the vision highlighted the need for policy and project continuity in governance.

“It is also noteworthy that this project has gone on smoothly under the tenures of Mrs. Diezani Allison-Madueke, who facilitated discussions with the late President Yar’Adua on the project as Minister of Transport, Mrs. Fidelia Njeze, who started the actual construction as Minister of Aviation and the current Minister of Aviation, Princess Stella Oduah, who has driven this vision with tremendous commitment, passion and vigour to the point of reality today.”

The Senator also commended members of the Enugu State caucus of the National Assembly for committing their entire constituency project funds for 2008 to boosting budgetary provisions for the Akanu Ibiam International Airport in accordance with the understanding reached with the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/first-international-flight-takes-off-from-enugu-august-24/

23 Likes

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by ChrisOD: 6:03am On Aug 07, 2013
Comment by John Okiyi Kalu:

Very good news.

Let our people make use of this facility and reduce travels to Lagos to board flights.

The named airlines can connect you to UK, US and other European countries.

I stopped going to Lagos to board flights a long time ago because I realized that even if I pay a little premium for Air France or Lufthansa the convinience of being dropped in PH where I don't have to take airport taxi to a hotel, and later board a local flight is more than good enough compensation.

Ethiopian Airline, Emirates and Turkish airline are mostly occupied by Onitsha and Aba traders. Let them shift to Enugu. From Onitsha to Enugu is one hour while Aba-Enugu is one and half hours on the road. Let's gradually reduce dependence on Lagos and avoid waking up at Niger Bridge by 3am.

70 Likes

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by kehinde1588(m): 7:14am On Aug 07, 2013
I hope there will be proper maintainance for the airport cos after a year na story we go dey hear

4 Likes

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by asha80(m): 8:02am On Aug 07, 2013
all the adjoining federal roads leading to enugu have to be in good condition...the enugu onitsha,enugu ph,enugu abakiliki and the ones leading to benue and kogi for this airport to function effectively.

9 Likes

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by dridowu: 8:14am On Aug 07, 2013
Good @least pressure go reduce 4 lagos
Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by xtianh(m): 8:16am On Aug 07, 2013
Now i am feeling the Fresh Air. GEJ go ahead

3 Likes

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by Emperor007: 8:18am On Aug 07, 2013

Nice development, it's remaining a functional Sea Port, and dry port in Aba

1 Like

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by xtianh(m): 8:19am On Aug 07, 2013
asha 80: all the adjoining federal roads leading to enugu have to be in good condition...the enugu onitsha,enugu ph,enugu abakiliki and the ones leading to benue and kogi for this airport to function effectively.

Those roads are currently undergoing massive rehabilitation right nw

3 Likes

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by yang(m): 8:22am On Aug 07, 2013
God Bless GEJ

8 Likes

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by asha80(m): 8:41am On Aug 07, 2013
xtianh: .

Those roads are currently undergoing massive rehabilitation right nw
well lets hope they are completed on time.
Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by pesty100(m): 9:26am On Aug 07, 2013
Election tinz
*put on my 7D glass back on*

1 Like

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by Nobody: 9:37am On Aug 07, 2013

Sometimes I tie my feet together while in the bath and pretend I'm a merman.
Other times I deliberately complete a job very close to election period and pretend I'm a Nigerian public servant.

12 Likes

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by ugotuf(m): 9:37am On Aug 07, 2013
CAMPAIGN THINGS
Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by horlabiyi(m): 9:37am On Aug 07, 2013
Space booked
Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by MrAboki: 9:44am On Aug 07, 2013
asha 80: all the adjoining federal roads leading to enugu have to be in good condition...the enugu onitsha,enugu ph,enugu abakiliki and the ones leading to benue and kogi for this airport to function effectively.

GEJ has fixed most of those roads and the remainingg are under construction..

By this move, ENUGU, ANAMBRA, ABIA & EBONYI STATES HAVE ALL GONE TO PDP IN THE 2015 ELECTIONS.. grin

IMO STATE ARE LIKE TRAITORS! WE ARE WATCHING THEM, OKOROCHA & their new found bedmates Ndi na ku isi na a'na.

11 Likes

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by strangest(m): 9:45am On Aug 07, 2013
Yes o.. Waiting for the seaport at onitsha... Fresh air...

3 Likes

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by jude33084(m): 9:47am On Aug 07, 2013
THIS IS A GOOD DEVELOPMENT THAT THE WHOLE SOUTH-EAST SHOULD APPLAUD. wink

SOUTH-EAST WILL NOW BE OPENED TO THE WORLD THROUGH ENUGU cool

CUSTOMS AND NDLEA SHOULD BUILD THEIR BASE CLOSE TO THE AIRPORT grin

5 Likes

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by odumchi: 9:47am On Aug 07, 2013
Anyi nanwa aga n'ivu ntaa ntaa za na amara Chineke. Nde si guma ihe oma adii wo uto wo amaghi ezi ihe.
Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by Pancho01(m): 9:47am On Aug 07, 2013
Its a gud sign of development. Bt d fundamental question 2 ask nw is on d long run wil ds airport b able 2 stand d tortuous test of time? Hw best wil dey maintain ds infrastructure?
Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by Erg2000(m): 9:48am On Aug 07, 2013
That's a welcome development!
Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by harmless011: 9:49am On Aug 07, 2013
Nice move we need development in all parts of naija

1 Like

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by Soso990240(m): 9:49am On Aug 07, 2013
And Goodluck is not working? Huh?

1 Like

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by Guk: 9:49am On Aug 07, 2013
Good for Business and Convinience.
Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by henrychubayo: 9:50am On Aug 07, 2013
FOE DIRECT FLIGHTS TO ENUGU, THE DREAM HAS COME TRUE. IT SHALL NOT BE LATE. KEEP IN EXPECTATION OF IT. IT SHALL NOT BE DELAYED ANY LONGER. THE APPOINTED TIMES ARE HERE. A TIME OF JOY AND HAPPINESS. A TIME OF LESS SUFFERING FLYING TO LAGOS AND TRYING TO CONNECT TO EAST. LETS JOIN HANDS TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. WELCOME TO COAL CITY.

1 Like

Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by Soso990240(m): 9:52am On Aug 07, 2013
Pancho01: Its a gud sign of development. Bt d fundamental question 2 ask nw is on d long run wil ds airport b able 2 stand d tortuous test of time? Hw best wil dey maintain ds infrastructure?
it is not for Goodluck to decide.next adminisratiion after him.
Re: First International Flight Takes-off From Enugu 24th August by woky: 9:52am On Aug 07, 2013
wen wil i eva b d 1st to coment

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Poor State Of Moro Bridge In Kwara State (Video) / My Trip To London With Qatar Airlines / Air Ticket Prices Rise By 34.06% – NBS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.