Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,487 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution (16244 Views)

Intrigues Over Senate Presidency: Ndume, Ekweremadu, Adamu Eye Saraki’s Seat / Olisa Metuh Goes On Hunger Strike / Army Reacts To Hunger Strike By Reinstated Soldiers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 8:14am On Aug 07, 2013
Child marriage: Children threaten hunger strike over Senate’s resolution

The controversy generated over the Senate’s resolution on child marriage continued yesterday in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, as a group of children actors and actresses gave a 10-day ultimatum to the lawmakers to apologise over the resolution.

The children, under the aegis of One Child Team, featured in the production of a film entitled: “Yerima, Diary of a Child.”

They demanded an immediate abolition of the section of the Constitution backing the underage marriage failure of which they threatened to embark on an indefinite hunger strike.

The group, which was a volunteer team of children from across the country, demanded an apology from the Senate for deliberating and considering the stamping of early child marriage law in the country, stressing that such had belittled the child rights.

In an interview with journalists, the 13 yearold leader of the group, Pascaline Ogbuli, said her group decided to stage the play as a way of lending their voices to the growing opposition to early child marriage in Nigeria.

Ogbuli said the planned indefinite hunger strike was aimed at attracting local, national and international attention to the plight of voiceless Nigerian children who have continually falling victims to the underage marriage in Nigeria.

She said: “We demand a public apology in all the national dailies within the next 10 days, otherwise we shall embark on an indefinite hunger strike to draw local, national and international attention to our plight as voiceless Nigerian children.

“And if we die telling our leaders that our education and our future count more than an early marriage, so be it. To all the leaders who support this barbaric law and to everyone that ought to speak out loud against it but are keeping quiet for fear or for whatever reason, if we die, our blood shall be demanded of you and your generations”.

Expressing the fear of growing up in a country where children would not be free to walk the streets for fear of being stolen by lustful adults for early marriage, Ogbuli stressed that the Senate had disappointed the children’s generation who looked up to the lawmakers as role model.

She said: “We do not wish to grow up in a country where our fathers, mothers and our leaders do not respect our rights and the fact that we are children, and should be protected and given education and not led as bride to the marriage slaughter-house.

“We are grossly ashamed that the Nigerian Senate, that we, as children aspire to and look forward to with pride and great respect, could even consider a law saying our childhood and innocence could be taken away and our education and future destroyed in exchange for a bride price, and that we could be sold as slaves to early marriage.”

Source

6 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by homesteady(m): 8:27am On Aug 07, 2013
She said: “We demand a public apology in
all the national dailies within the next 10
days, otherwise we shall embark on an
indefinite hunger strike to draw local,
national and international attention to our
plight as voiceless Nigerian children.
gringrin
This is a good and bold step! grin
This is a time for them to give their life to Christ because, they'll soon die!! We shall meet again in heaven on the last day! RIP

8 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 07, 2013
Ibadan children be like: iya mi! Funmi another ofada rice. Oyo for them o... We no dey. grin

6 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by bigt2(m): 8:42am On Aug 07, 2013
grin they surely wont !!! grin children hunger strike grin na them mama go feed them by force grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Lanrefahm(m): 8:47am On Aug 07, 2013
na dem go hungry or na u how dat 1 take concern dem, no hunger strike for corruption but hunger strike for early marriage.
media continue to destroy dis nation 4 us u hear ? just continue with ur lies to some ignoramus.
all of u dat are sleeping or too golible to know d truth better be informed properly and open ur mind to the truth if not u r on a long thing

4 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 07, 2013
make dem nor try am ooo
hunger go just kill dem
our senators are never moved by protests
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 07, 2013
Our Senators care more about irrelevant issues.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 07, 2013
The future has spoken to the present. I hope our senators are listening.

2 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Walexz02(m): 9:27am On Aug 07, 2013
Who are they waiting for? They should start now.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Maxymilliano(m): 9:38am On Aug 07, 2013
eGuerrilla:
They demanded an immediate abolition of the section of the Constitution backing the underage marriage failure of which they threatened to embark on an indefinite hunger strike.

Hmmm ... This is the same section 29 (4) (b) Yerima claimed the proposal for the deletion is at variance with Islamic Law.

I don't see how embarking on indefinite huger strike will help the situation, especially when it has taken a religious dimension.

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by horlabiyi(m): 9:42am On Aug 07, 2013
These senators are bad people. They won't listen.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 9:42am On Aug 07, 2013
Wow.so admirable. I know those
kids can't probably endure hunger but it's the thought that counts.
Way to go little angels kiss

3 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by dharmsexy(f): 9:43am On Aug 07, 2013
[quote author=homesteady]
gringrin
This is a good and bold step! grin
This is a time for them to give their life to Christ because, they'll soon die!! We shall meet again in heaven on the last day! U bad o
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Ziggyzito(m): 9:43am On Aug 07, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Source
these children no sabi wetin true hunger be!! How e take affect the amount of money these men dey chop??
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 07, 2013

Ha! Make I hear say dem mama no go feed them after 2 hours. They know that, the senators know that.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 07, 2013
Lol... Very funny, I trust my Kid Sis won't join them, cos she knows what she'll be missing grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 9:45am On Aug 07, 2013
Two hours after the hunger strike begins, they will be like;

14 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 07, 2013
Funny Childrencheesygringrin
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by dieold: 9:47am On Aug 07, 2013
Let's see, maybe this hunger strike action may reduce the level in demand of garri and other food items, hence making the prize level to go down.
I just hope that my younger ones will join the hunger strike...those kids can consume!

4 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Syenite(m): 9:47am On Aug 07, 2013
Children-Childrennnnn, are u sure you can stay away from ur indomie, icecream, chocholate, buscuits and sweets?

6 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by ZN2: 9:52am On Aug 07, 2013
The ignorance making the rounds on this issue is just baffling.

There's a Child's Right Act in place (enforced in over 20states). The senators were not trying to set any law on Marriage Eligibility.

5 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by yuzedo: 9:53am On Aug 07, 2013
Ehn, make dem no chop na? Deir papa go use deir food money drink beer. undecided

#TeamYerima cool

4 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by iyatrustee(f): 9:54am On Aug 07, 2013
kunletiwoo: Lol... Very funny, I trust my Kid Sis won't join them, cos she knows what she'll be missing grin grin grin

abi? Mine sef no go try am cos I would so stock up my frigde cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by phollarsewa(f): 9:56am On Aug 07, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Source
Na who hunger go kill.No b the pikin.The senates are busy eating chicken.Junior come and eat your food.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by ponco: 9:57am On Aug 07, 2013
I laugh out loud. Well this is a clarion call to invite all pedophiles around the world to Nigeria.

http://elijahforce..com/2013/07/calling-all-pedophiles-to-nigeria.html
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Ademike007(m): 9:59am On Aug 07, 2013
this our pikin of today fit go on hunger strike xo?
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Lyth: 10:01am On Aug 07, 2013
Lanrefahm: na dem go hungry or na u how dat 1 take concern dem, no hunger strike for corruption but hunger strike for early marriage.
media continue to destroy dis nation 4 us u hear ? just continue with ur lies to some ignoramus.
all of u dat are sleeping or too golible to know d truth better be informed properly and open ur mind to the truth if not u r on a long thing

And u r better informed huh? ...u feel d children shld go on hunger strike over corruption rather than an issue which infringe on their rights as children while u(an adult) chow n spew trash on NL, boy u suck big tym!
Mind y'all d aim of d hunger strike is 2 draw d attention of well meaning folks (within d nation n in d diaspora) to lend their voices to putting a stop 2 it ...and 4 folks who can actually do smthg abt it but r laying low 2 ve a rethink n act. Inotherwords it's a plea to act for let it not be said that d victims didn't voice out ...now its d senate(overaged adults) vs chidren, did I hear u say unfair?

7 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Joepage(m): 10:02am On Aug 07, 2013
unfortunately, we live in a crazed society. a society of of mediocre men and women. if I may ask, where is d so called mother of d nation?, y isn't she saying anytin abt dis wickedness, where is d supposed father, why are dese children neglected? must they result to dis level of desperation before some1 hears dia voice?...... woe unto GEJ nd his household, to d senate, any under age birth complications dat results to death, ur generations will pay d price......

3 Likes

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Youngzedd(m): 10:03am On Aug 07, 2013
eGuerrilla: The future has spoken to the present. I hope our senators are listening.

They did what they should do. Waiting to hear from the senate.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by charlsecy4(m): 10:04am On Aug 07, 2013
exxell: Two hours after the hunger strike begins, they will be like;
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Youngzedd(m): 10:05am On Aug 07, 2013
phollar sewa: Na who hunger go kill.No b the pikin.The senates are busy eating chicken.Junior come and eat your food.

Dem no get pikin?
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by PrettySpicey(f): 10:06am On Aug 07, 2013
I hope someone is not behind the scene instigating these children to do something that might be harmful to them. Much as it's great seeing them - children - fight for their rights, it should not be done at the risk of their health and safety.
Besides, it is for us, as parents and guardians to fight for and protect these little ones.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AMCON Takes Over Ifeanyi Ubah's Capital Oil / Anambra Government Blames APC, FG For Insecurity In States / Solar Panels,Grenades,Other Items Recovered From Boko Haram Camps In Borno.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.