Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,517 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 (24053 Views)

Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature / Is There Any Advantage Of Disconnecting Car Engine Temperature Thermostat? / Toyota Rav4 2001 - 2003 Auto Transmission /ECU Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by worldgee: 9:14am On Aug 07, 2013
Pls what can make my engine get so hot yet d temperature guage/meter in d cluster board reads normal?

D heat often makes d bonnet radiator hoses swollen: almost bursting. Every other components in d bonnet also get so heat up.
Sometimes u even feel d heat under d dashboard area while driving. D heat increases when running it wta/c: infact on two occasions, d impact of d heat has burst d a/c temperature switch in d course of which d gas leaked away.

D radiator fan wasre-confirmed working fine by eletrical technician. Radiator water isn't short.

Pls help. What could be d cause?2000 toyota rav4 auto.
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by JUO(m): 9:30am On Aug 07, 2013
hum this is serious. you sure say no be jet engine the motor get, how did it start?
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by earthrealm(m): 11:22am On Aug 07, 2013
i believe ur thermostat is bad...ie its stuck closed....thus not opening to allow coolant circulate.....the coolant temp sensor is located at the top of the engine...so that could be why its not picking the high coolant tempreture........also the CTS might hv malfunctioned, or even ur guage disconnected ...those are the possible reasons for it not reflecting on ur dash.....
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 07, 2013
Its electrical problem - you should see an electrician to add relays to your cooling fan (just a suggestion sha!)
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by Ikenna351(m): 12:38pm On Aug 07, 2013
I dont know about Toyota, but I do know for Peugeots, Temperature switch/CTS are located on the inner side Thermostat housing, before the thermostat itself. So that the Temp switch or CTS will give the actual temp of coolant in the engine, not temp of coolant from the radaitor. What overboils the coolant is thr engine, not the radaiator, which is why coolant in the engine is been monitored via temp switch and/or CTS. Thats Peugeot cooling system for you.

Notwithstanding, i would want you to carryout these tests below, to determine how good your thermostat and water pump is, incase any of them is the culprit:

When next the overheating starts, stop the car, switch off the engine and open the bonnet. Locate the lower and upper radiator hoses, and touch each of the hoses with your palms/hands. If the upper hose is extremely hot and lower hose cold at such high engine temperature, then your water pump or thermostat must have failed. Usually, it should be the thermostat (if yours is still present in the engine), but if you have been using water in your cooling system, then it could be that your water pump blades has rusted and disintegrated, making the pump to stop pumping. Water is a main killer of water pump. Aside coolant preventing water pump blades from rusting, it also serves as a lubricant on the water pump.

To individually test water pump and thermostat, remove the upper hose from the thermostat housing, remove the themostat (if yours is still there), have someone start the car, while you stay and observe the thermostat housing in the engine bay. As soos as the car starts, coolant is suppose to start flowing/gushing out (coolant trapped in the engine behind thermostat). If that happens, your water pump is ok. Your thermostat is then the culprit. You maynot even bother to test the thermostat, just go aheadand replace it with new one (though, it wouldnt hurt to test it). Before you put in that new thermostat, test it in a pot of boiling water to be sure its opening anf closing as water gets hotter and cooler. You can use thermometer, if you have one, to confirm if it opens at temp engraved on the thermostat.

Test 2: If both upper and lower radiator hoses are hot, then your water pump is likely the suspect, not the thermostat. But a cooling system with air trapped in would give the same symptom, except that it would force coolant out from your expansion bottle or radiator cap,no matter how tight it is, depending on your system.

By the way, when was the last time you pressure wash your radiator fins through the front grille? I dont mean opening up your radiator, but the fins through which air passes from the front grille while car is in motion or when the fans push or sucks heat out of the radiator. If those fins get blocked with dirts, your fans wont be able to suck or push heat out of the radiator with hot coolant. Once in a while, take your car for such cleaning. Just remove your front grille and ask them to blow both the A/C condenser and radiator from that opening.

Goodluck.

Ikenna

2 Likes

Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by worldgee: 3:52pm On Aug 07, 2013
I'm learning a whole lot here. Big tks 2 u guys 4 ur prompt response: they are all matured.

Throwing more light, d ride is over 4yrs & d thermostart is nt even there: guessed dis was removed long ago.

At ur advice, what I'l need do now:
1. I'll first take out d entire radiator for steam wash & possibly d a/c condenser too.

2. I'll ask an electrician 2 add relay 2 d fan.

3. Afta dis, I'll carry out d advised self test of checking d temperature of both upper & lower hoses of d radiator.

However, I'm nt so clear abt a few explanations here:

1. Abt d temperature guage/meter in d cluster board, what temperature is it really reading? Is it 2 know d engine or radiator heat? Or sense d heat in d bonnet?

Pls pardon my ignorance. I asked dis question cos I know d guage is working bt surprised its nt sensing dis so-called ''overheating''. Why I'm so convinced d guage is working is d day (recently) d radiator fan somehow stopped working & d indicator shot 2 d peak. Being late in nite, d problem couldn't be fixed & was advised 2 patially open d bonnet 2 b able 2 still drive home safely. PLS note: d excessive heat around d bonnet had bn b4 dis period. D fan fixed d next day & d guage continues its normal reading.

Also, on d water pump; I'v always bn thinking if u hv d water movement (observed by flowing to/fro around d neck of d radiator) then d water pump is ok! Pls correct my impressn.

It is also of note dat d excessive heat happens more whenever d a/c is running. It's observed lately dat once d a/c isn't cooling again, if u check around d a/c temperature switch, u'll notice wet environmnt (indicatng gas has leaked out) & d switch itself extremely hot.

Pls help o.
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by Ikenna351(m): 5:48pm On Aug 07, 2013
Op,

I didnt suggest you pull out the radiator and A/C condenser for washing. I said, use pressure water to flush the fins via the front grille. Remove that plastic front grille to have access to the condenser/radiator. Leave the condenser and radiator where they are in the engine bay and blow the fins from the car front. I dont know how else to explain it.

Please, make sure you cover the Alternator and other electric components close to the radiator before doing the above.

Ikenna.
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by worldgee: 12:06pm On Aug 08, 2013
Ikenna351: Op,

I didnt suggest you pull out the radiator and A/C condenser for washing..... I dont know how else to explain it.

Ikenna.

My Oga, pls dont be pissed off. As much as I respect ur candid contributns on dis forum, I got ur explanatn quite well. Tks once more.

I only felt removing d radiator/condenser wil enable thorough washin. Now dat u've emphasized it, d point is noted.

2 Likes

Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by Ikenna351(m): 12:26pm On Aug 08, 2013
worldgee:

My Oga, pls dont be pissed off. As much as I respect ur candid contributns on dis forum, I got ur explanatn quite well. Tks once more.

I only felt removing d radiator/condenser wil enable thorough washin. Now dat u've emphasized it, d point is noted.

It depends.

If you have been using water in the cooling system and you have started seeing rusty coloured water in the radiator when engine is running, its also likely that inside your radiator has clogged too. In that case, you may have to remove the radiator and do thorough cleaning, both inside and outside.

Pissed off? No, i wasnt.

Ikenna
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by worldgee: 3:54pm On Aug 08, 2013
Ikenna351:
.....If you have been using water in the cooling system and you have started seeing rusty coloured water in the radiator when engine is running ....Ikenna

It's ok oga mi. Now I hv clearer understanding.

All d same, I'm taking it out 4 pressure wash.

Ikenna351:

Pissed off? No, i wasnt.

Ikenna

I'm just kiddin broda-man! Tks 4 helpin us here.
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by worldgee: 4:11pm On Aug 08, 2013
At steam-wash place.

Just noticed a leaking point around d exhaust neck (d point where d exhaust gasket is) inside d bonnet. Could d likely heat coming out/escaping frm here constitute d excessive heat we r already considering?
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by Ikenna351(m): 5:08pm On Aug 08, 2013
I read somewhere that when catalytic converter gets clogged, it will overheat and you feel the heat inside the vehicle. I dont know the location of your caty, but i do know if your caty becomes too clogged, it will affect the smooth running of the engine.

Ikenna.
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by wisesystem: 7:21pm On Aug 08, 2013
Ikenna351: I read somewhere that when catalytic converter gets clogged, it will overheat and you feel the heat inside the vehicle. I dont know the location of your caty, but i do know if your caty becomes too clogged, it will affect the smooth running of the engine.

Ikenna.

Can catalytic converter be serviced therefore as a form of preventive maintenance??

1 Like

Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by Ikenna351(m): 10:06pm On Aug 08, 2013
wisesystem:

Can catalytic converter be serviced therefore as a form of preventive maintenance??

No idea.

But Sultaan was saying the other day that a failed or failing Caty can be washed with soda or some chemicals and it will be good again. I have forgotten the thread he posted it with video link of how to wash the caty provided. I think he is in a better position to explain better.

Ikenna
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by OROZ(m): 10:18pm On Aug 08, 2013
worldgee: Pls what can make my engine get so hot yet d temperature guage/meter in d cluster board reads normal?

D heat often makes d bonnet radiator hoses swollen: almost bursting. Every other components in d bonnet also get so heat up. Sometimes u even feel d heat under d dashboard area while driving. D heat increases when running it wt a/c: infact on two occasions, d impact of d heat has burst d a/c temperature switch in d course of which d gas leaked away.

D radiator fan was re-confirmed working fine by eletrical technician. Radiator water isn't short.

Pls help. What could be d cause?

2000 toyota rav4 auto.
call autowiz engr. for the solution 08034094226 we are based in phc

Tks in advance.
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by worldgee: 12:40am On Aug 09, 2013
I beg now! Which one is catalytic converter again now?

@ Rav4 users,
Pls where is dis one located?
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by wisesystem: 6:25am On Aug 09, 2013
Ikenna351:

No idea.

But Sultaan was saying the other day that a failed or failing Caty can be washed with soda or some chemicals and it will be good again. I have forgotten the thread he posted it with video link of how to wash the caty provided. I think he is in a better position to explain better.

Ikenna

Aight Bro.
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by worldgee: 9:23am On Aug 09, 2013
wisesystem:

Aight Bro.

Oga, no vex. What's d meanin of dis?
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by wisesystem: 2:28pm On Aug 09, 2013
worldgee:

Oga, no vex. What's d meanin of dis?

Alright Brother
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by earthrealm(m): 3:27pm On Aug 09, 2013
worldgee: At steam-wash place.

Just noticed a leaking point around d exhaust neck (d point where d exhaust gasket is) inside d bonnet. Could d likely heat coming out/escaping frm here constitute d excessive heat we r already considering?

this is a likely cause..cos its almost the same as not closing ur radiator with the cap...if its weldable u can weld it..if not...buy a new radiator
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by worldgee: 8:54am On Aug 10, 2013
earthrealm:

this is a likely cause....if its weldable u can weld it..

I'm already attemptin welding it: atleast exploring all possibilities.
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by worldgee: 9:05am On Aug 10, 2013
worldgee:
However, I'm nt so clear abt a few explanations here:

1. Abt d temperature guage/meter in d cluster board, what temperature is it really reading? Is it 2 know d engine or radiator heat? Or sense d heat in d bonnet?

Pls pardon my ignorance. I asked dis question cos I know d guage is working bt surprised its nt sensing dis so-called ''overheating''. Why I'm so convinced d guage is working is d day (recently) d radiator fan somehow stopped working & d indicator shot 2 d peak. Being late in nite, d problem couldn't be fixed & was advised 2 patially open d bonnet 2 b able 2 still drive home safely. PLS note: d excessive heat around d bonnet had bn b4 dis period. D fan fixed d next day & d guage continues its normal reading.

Also, on d water pump; I'v always bn thinking if u hv d water movement (observed by flowing to/fro around d neck of d radiator) then d water pump is ok! Pls correct my impressn.

It is also of note dat d excessive heat happens more whenever d a/c is running.....

Pls help o.
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by cardoctor(m): 3:51pm On Aug 10, 2013
Everybody is just throwing in their opinions wether valid or not. The simplest thing to start with based on op's posted query is to listen in to the engine after switching off to hear if water is boiling when the engine is hot. If its boiling after stopping, then maybe there is an issue.

Its normal for engines to get quite hot and temperature remains constant even when all is well I.e fans working, thermostat ok, enough coolant in system etc.

I had a customer come into the workshop this week with an Acura MDX that has had the cooling fan "permanented" due to the fact that he believes the engine was abnormally hot and the fan was not coming on immediately he turns the ignition on.

Well, I had to replace the relay and reconnect the fan to its original operating method which is by allowing the thermostat to do its job and the fan switch taking instructions from the temperature sensor. I then explained the real operational protocol of the cooling system to him and tested the car to prove that the fan comes on only when the temperature reaches its switching on point or when the ac is switched on.

@op. You may not necessarily have any issues with your car and I believe its just mere paranoia but check to hear if your engine is boiling after stopping.

1 Like

Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by worldgee: 4:38pm On Aug 13, 2013
@all. Tks 4 ur concerns & timely contributns.

Atleast as at tdy, I make bold 2 say dat d notorious excessive heat hs dropped drasticaly SIMPLY BY STEAM-WASHING BOTH D RADIATOR & D A/C CONDENSER. Infact d guage/meter in d cluster board hardly rises now & d bonnet hardly heats up even afta drivin a long distance: dis is quite unlike b4.

Yet 2 test d a/c wt it, anyway. Hop 2 do dis as soon as I replace d burnt a/c temperature switch then re-fill d gas. BUT I WANT 2 BELIEVE EVERYTHNG SHLD B OK NOW. I'l keep u posted.

All d same, u guys are 'bad'. Tks a million. NL remains d best.
Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by wisesystem: 8:11pm On Aug 14, 2013
worldgee: @all. Tks 4 ur concerns & timely contributns.

Atleast as at tdy, I make bold 2 say dat d notorious excessive heat hs dropped drasticaly SIMPLY BY STEAM-WASHING BOTH D RADIATOR & D A/C CONDENSER. Infact d guage/meter in d cluster board hardly rises now & d bonnet hardly heats up even afta drivin a long distance: dis is quite unlike b4.

Yet 2 test d a/c wt it, anyway. Hop 2 do dis as soon as I replace d burnt a/c temperature switch then re-fill d gas. BUT I WANT 2 BELIEVE EVERYTHNG SHLD B OK NOW. I'l keep u posted.

All d same, u guys are 'bad'. Tks a million. NL remains d best.

Great to see improvements with your car man but pls note that your coolant temperature guage 'hardly rising' like you said is an abnormally also, its suppose to within 5-7mins rise to 85 - 90degrees and remain that way for the rest of the day no matter the mileage u cover so pls check to ensure your car thermostat is still fitted. That,s actually one of the first things you learn on Nairaland. I ll advice you really make out time to go through topics of interest on Car Talk library. Best wishes man!

1 Like

Re: Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 by jayriginal: 4:36pm On Nov 08, 2013
wisesystem:

Great to see improvements with your car man but pls note that your coolant temperature guage 'hardly rising' like you said is an abnormally also, its suppose to within 5-7mins rise to 85 - 90degrees and remain that way for the rest of the day no matter the mileage u cover so pls check to ensure your car thermostat is still fitted. That,s actually one of the first things you learn on Nairaland. I ll advice you really make out time to go through topics of interest on Car Talk library. Best wishes man!

worldgee: I'm learning a whole lot here. Big tks 2 u guys 4 ur prompt response: they are all matured.

Throwing more light, d ride is over 4yrs & d thermostart is nt even there: guessed dis was removed long ago.

OP go and put in a thermostat for your car

(1) (Reply)

Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House / Why Girls Like Cars So Much? / Top 7 Most Powerful Suvs So Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.