Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,092 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist (47771 Views)

Amazing "Photo²cartoon" Graphics By A Nairalander CARTOONIST / Professional Cartoonist Needed Urgently... IS CLOSED! / Ikebe Super Or Lolly Magazine's Anyone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by zinaunreal(m): 10:58am On Aug 07, 2013
The cartoon Ikebe Super, which was so popular among Nigerians can now be classified as history, but on the mere mention of Ikebe, eyebrows are raised. One can't help but wonder the hands behind the art, the illustrator who took the time to creatively construct such a "massive behind" to the admiration of Nigerian readers who didn't mind rushing just to get a glimpse at the news stand every busy working day at the vendors spot.

Long after the viral cartoon that took Nigerians by storm ,The man behind the creative art of Ikeba Super Morak Oguntade, has even further scaled higher on his achievements. He is now a big time Media owner. Going back to see how far he has gone with his achievement, a contributor of Haba Naija Bubemi Ekengbuda had an interesting interview with the man who helped shape Nigeria in the best way he could.

The new generation of Nigerian children who have been taken over by the new technology we have everywhere may not know him, but if you have been around for a while and remember reading “Ikebe Super” then you are not far from guessing who he is.

He is Mr. Morak Oguntade, he was the cartoonist responsible for the well illustrated characters of the hit comic, “ikebe super”. Mr. Morak often keeps a low profile, but today he’s going to share with us things about himself, he’s other works we may have or not have heard about and how he made a name for himself in the difficult Nigerian comic industry.

Bubemi: Sir, we would like to hear from you, what motivated you to become a cartoonist ?
Morak: Motivation must have come from comic books. As a child I was very much excited by cartoons and illustrations.

Bubemi: When you were a kid, is this what you wished to become when you grow up?
Morak: Most definitely!

Bubemi: How difficult was it to become a cartoonist, what are some of the challenges you faced while starting up?
Morak: There are no challenges to developing your talent. If there were any they were too insignificant to count. I loved to be drawing and just got down and did so. Every chance I get I drew I still have this habit to be drawing and sketching almost every time. If we are talking about getting art materials as oppose to getting a violin or a piano you are sure it’s not that hard to get paper and pencils.”

Bubemi: What do you love most about what you do?
Morak: A sense of fulfillment like no other. The world around keeps feeding me with materials and subjects to work on. The reactions from people are great but much greater is the inner satisfaction that one gets to have illustrated exactly what one had envisaged.”

Bubemi: As a cartoonist you must have people who you looked up to while growing up, who were they and what is it about them that attracted you to them?
Morak: After being a professional artist for around 40 years you can expect the list of influential people to be very long indeed. And it is too many to mention but I will say that the Savage Sword Of Conan back in the 80s formed the bulk of my influences. Everything about those books hooked me. The pros of text and meticulous etching illustrations kept me entranced through out my early 20s. a Few names, Nestor Redondo Alex Nino, Alfredo Alcala, and Moebus.”

Bubemi: When i was still a kid, my sisters couldn’t get enough of “ikebe super” when ever they get hold of the paper, or be it when they buy corn and a part of the cartoon is used to wrap it they always read it while eating the corn, sir how did you get involved with such a successful comic?
Morak: Wale Adenuga came to recruit me from Punch back in the 80s when I there as a staff cartoonist.”

Bubemi: Back then when you started with wale adenuga did you see ikebe super becoming so big?
Morak: Yes and it still could have been bigger”

Bubemi: Sir, buy the way, wale adenuga, what is he like to work with?
Morak: Working with him was a blast …jolly great time of my life I couldn’t ask for better way to spend my 20s!”

Bubemi: I understand you moved to the UK in 1990, why did you leave Nigeria? Because it looked like the grass was already green for you in Nigeria.
Morak: It was a move everyone thought was strange. It was for me a place to go and start a family and raise my children. Also some tough character building experience.

Bubemi: And graduate of Radiography from the University of Hertfordshire, with your love for comic and art why radiography?
Morak: It’s a natural progression for someone like me to read as much as I can on anatomy and physiology. Another strong interest of mine is studying anatomy. I would recommend everyone to study as much as they can about their biological make up. By the way, my first degree was BSc in design and printing technology in England also.

Bubemi:While growing up i understand you were a fan of Roy Thomas of Conan the Barbarian, what was it like to finally get to do the frontispieces for a show you loved?
Morak:I was very pleased indeed. I consider it a crown achievement event as a plus in my career.

Bubemi: While in the UK can you tell us about some of your works, i understand you did somethings with other authors and artists?
Morak: Toxic magazine. Illustrated a character called coffin sketched some batman pages, drew and painted a story of Judge Dredd and several independent comic book illustrations.”

Bubemi: Joining the UK police… How and why?
Morak: Another branch in the line of adventures. Had a very educational experience. I learnt a lot of very valuable lesson as a met officer. There is no why, that is just life”

Bubemi: Your time in the UK, how would you describe it?
Morak: Quality time with family. Leaning curve. Introduction to a wider sense of self, integrating with advancement, science and technology all around me, and seeing my kids get good education.”

Bubemi:Having a great time abroad why did you return to Nigeria?
Morak:It did not matter where I go or end up as far as I am concerned I am a cosmopolitan. Citizen of the cosmos. But I say this though I prefer the weather here.”

Bubemi:Your “comic” studio in Lagos, can you tell us more about what it’s all about?
Morak: It’s an art studio where I work. I do sculptures, paintings, cartoons and animations.”

Bubemi: Now your back home, what do you have to say about the comic industry in Nigeria, and also what do you think can be done to improve things?

http://www.habanaija.com/interview-with-morak-oguntade-cartoonist-illustrator-ikebesuper/

5 Likes

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by adwem2003(m): 3:48pm On Aug 07, 2013
smiley1ST to comment

1 Like

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by timpaker(m): 3:48pm On Aug 07, 2013
I loved Ikebe Super back then but in (now)reality i love Super Ikebe super (got it?) wink wink wink

4 Likes

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by Drdreluv: 3:49pm On Aug 07, 2013
Speechless.....
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by Onyenna(m): 3:50pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ikebe super!
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by redcliff: 3:50pm On Aug 07, 2013
adwem2003: smiley1ST to comment

I bet you dint read the interview...

6 Likes

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by zolajpower: 3:51pm On Aug 07, 2013
is seun given award to that effect?

1 Like

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by kokoye(m): 3:52pm On Aug 07, 2013
Pictures speak a thousand words.

Next time, try to add a picture of your subject to the post...resonates better that way.

36 Likes

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by naptu2: 3:53pm On Aug 07, 2013
So it was The Punch? I thought he worked for The Guardian.
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by raeez(m): 3:53pm On Aug 07, 2013
i want to know the creator of efe and jude cheesy

1 Like

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by Pee2k3: 3:54pm On Aug 07, 2013
Show us his picture
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by sexymoma(f): 3:55pm On Aug 07, 2013
dont wait for your parent to tell you to bring a wife before you know that you are a grown up man o.

4 Likes

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by God4memi: 3:56pm On Aug 07, 2013
Good old days! Ikepe super.
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by deebrain(m): 3:57pm On Aug 07, 2013
i remember those times....my mum usually bought them because of the fashion pages at the back of the paper then...i {like a very good bad guy as a kid} loved the cover pages{mostly of semi-nude "aunties" wink},and the editions of "lolly", papa-ajasco and company, pa jimoh, etc.....kai those were the days.....{thank God say i change sha grin}

1 Like

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by deebrain(m): 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2013

apparently you were not born then. sorry.

1 Like

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by OgaTheTop2: 3:59pm On Aug 07, 2013
@OP, Any pix of him Let's put a face to that name abeg..

sad
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by Exponental(m): 4:00pm On Aug 07, 2013
kokoye: Pictures speak a thousand words.

Next time, try to add a picture of your subject to the post...resonates better that way.
i bet d op doesnt have d comic book again. He has sold all to d akara woman.
...it has teeeeeeeyed!

2 Likes

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by Teeted: 4:02pm On Aug 07, 2013
X
Wetin u com comment kwanu?
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by coogar: 4:02pm On Aug 07, 2013
i am more interested in the cartoonist that created mr nackson of lolly magazine. he should have been the one interviewed.

3 Likes

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by PStacks(m): 4:03pm On Aug 07, 2013
Gone are those days mehn! You would see Ikebe in a comic and your oga at the Top would salute.
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by simade123(m): 4:04pm On Aug 07, 2013
remember those days
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by spywareczar(m): 4:05pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ɣøµ neva can tell which of D̶̲̥̅̊ post meks frontpage dis days grin
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by bigx(m): 4:06pm On Aug 07, 2013
Left nigeria to join uk police?
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:07pm On Aug 07, 2013
No pix of Morak, ikebe super to show the children in Nairaland. Op, u r a learner. Incomplete thread.

1 Like

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by mcevans1(m): 4:08pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ikebe Super never misses me after school hours. Hehe
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by rindee(m): 4:08pm On Aug 07, 2013
Who owns this ikebe :PWho owns this ikebe
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by spywareczar(m): 4:08pm On Aug 07, 2013
D funniest tin is, dis d first time I heard thre's a cartoon series titled "super ikebe"
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by gamesb: 4:09pm On Aug 07, 2013
this was in the 80's and 90's

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by coogar: 4:10pm On Aug 07, 2013
spywareczar: Ɣøµ neva can tell which of D̶̲̥̅̊ post meks frontpage dis days grin, d funniest tin is, dis d first time I heard thre's a cartoon series titled "super ikebe"

you must be 10 years of age from yaounde. ikebe super magazine was what gave birth to ajasco family, boy alinco, etc.

1 Like

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by Orikinla(m): 4:11pm On Aug 07, 2013
Good interview.

I knew Morak as a master artist, but I never liked Ikebe Super and in fact banned any of my girlfriends from reading it. But they read it behind my backs.

I am happy that Wale Adenuga adapted it for TV comedy and drama and made a financial success out of it.
Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by PrettySpicey(f): 4:12pm On Aug 07, 2013

that is all u've got to say - 1ST to comment?
Wow! Your profound words leave me speechless

2 Likes

Re: Morak Oguntade: Ikebe Super Cartoonist by coogar: 4:13pm On Aug 07, 2013
Orikinla: Good interview.
I knew Morak as a master artist, but I never liked Ikebe Super and in fact banned any of my girlfriends from reading it. But they read it behind my backs.

you banned your girlfriends from reading magazines? wait, are you a dictator?

I am happy that Wale Adenuga adapted it for TV comedy and drama and made a financial success out of it.

they should adapt mr nackson for TV. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Artwork Painted On Bridges And Flyovers In Kaduna (Pictures) / Eli Waduba: Boy Who Drew Painting Of Kevin Hart Featured On Steve Harvey Show / Xmas In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.