Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,935 members, 7,806,709 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:29 PM

Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) (41070 Views)

See What Alpha Beach Is Doing To Some Areas In Lekki / Mysterious Huge Fish Found At The Tip 0f Eleko Beach...(pictures***) / Ocean Surge: Keep Off Beaches, Lagos Warns - Pm News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by feezy(m): 1:57am On Aug 28, 2013
Na wa oohhh.
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by feezy(m): 2:00am On Aug 28, 2013
Lordave: sharrap! sad
lol grin
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by meee1: 2:03am On Aug 28, 2013
God will help us
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by Originalsly: 2:34am On Aug 28, 2013
Interesting. Hmmm...did people die or go missing? I hope people who live in sea level areas realize what can happen to them.
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by biafranqueen: 3:23am On Aug 28, 2013
Nightshift: According to geologists at Julius Berger Plc, the Lekki Peninsula could be part of the Atlantic ocean in 50 years time.
why not can't you see how the are taking sand from the ocean floor and blowing it to make more land
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCrGBd-JJUQ how do you reclaim land from the ocean undecided

1 Like

Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by biafranqueen: 3:33am On Aug 28, 2013
Foland: The devasting effects of climate change is becoming imminent or should I say is becoming obvious, it has been predicted that the whole of Lagos could one day be submerged by rising sea water occasion by global warming . Nigeria like most other developing countries is most vulnerable to climate change due to our low level of technology, poverty, ignorance, poor infrastructure and weak institution. The earlier we come to terms with fact that the hazard of climat change are real the better for us. So people who are living on the fringe of the atlantic ocean should as matter of urgency start relocating from there and moved inward or away from the ocean
or else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceym2c18OQM
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by Cooleasy(m): 3:47am On Aug 28, 2013
Kayusfity: PHOTOSHOP undecided
Your head is not correct.
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by biafranqueen: 4:01am On Aug 28, 2013
Living on the beach is nice but........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHAZTI7Ohrg
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by naptu2: 4:36am On Aug 28, 2013
The construction of the East Mole (sea wall to protect Apapa Port) by the Colonial Government about a hundred years ago, led to the erosion of Bar Beach.

In order to protect Bar Beach, the Lagos State Government and the developers of Eko Atlantic City built the Great Wall of Lagos. This wall protects Victoria Island and since then the ocean has stopped eroding the beach (and Ahmadu Bello Way).

However, anything east of the wall will be threatened by the ocean. Consequently, the ocean eroded the piece of land that separates the Atlantic from Kuramo Waters. Goshen Estate and Lekki Phase 1 beach were also affected. The government then extended the wall to protect those areas.

The next piece of land that's east of the wall is the Lekki Beach and Alpha Beach. Silverbird has had to move it's studios from Lekki Beach to the Silverbird Galleria on Ahmadu Bello Way. The Lekki Beach has been seriously eroded. The Governor has promised that the government will extend the wall to protect Lekki and Alpha beaches. Howevver, they need to extend the wall to the next inlet in the east. The problem will only be solved when they do that.

3 Likes

Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by naptu2: 4:47am On Aug 28, 2013
I hope that the anti-spam bot doesn't ban me.
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by thaoriginator: 4:50am On Aug 28, 2013
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by naptu2: 5:03am On Aug 28, 2013

Lagos map showing the East Mole.

The East Mole is that narrow line that juts out into the ocean from Victoria Island. The East and West Moles were built by the Colonial Government to protect the entrance to Apapa Port and ensure that it is not blocked by sand. The ocean currents in this area flow from west to east and thus the mole prevents the replenishment of sand at Bar Beach. You can see that Victoria Island is much further in than the Apapa/Tarkwa Bay side of the coastline. It wasn't always that way. The ocean has eaten into Victoria Island over the period of a hundred years. The Eko Atlantic project seeks to reclaim that land that was eaten by the ocean.

The East Mole.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1136064_970599_10151689649283615_1766313849_n_jpg1021070348eae12c2550e4ae71d2a4f3
An account of an ocean surge at Victoria Island in the Daily Times of June 1st, 1977.

Great Wall of Lagos.

The Great Wall of Lagos cushions the effect of the waves and protects Victoria Island and the proposed Eko Atlantic City. This has stopped the ocean from periodically flowing over Bar Beach and threatening Ahmadu Bello Way and Victoria Island (a section of the road was lost to the ocean in the 1990s, but the beach and the road are now safe and secure). They need to extend this wall to protect Lekki Beach, Alpha Beach and keep extending the wall until they get to the next inlet.

4 Likes

Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by RAYCEtrey: 5:51am On Aug 28, 2013
oops
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:54am On Aug 28, 2013
Ewwwwww just imagine the stench.

Nigeria is sooooooo filthy
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by Nobody: 6:15am On Aug 28, 2013
is this lagos state?
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by oludayomi(f): 6:17am On Aug 28, 2013
190-the-clown:
blame it on General ZOD tongue
it one of lex's project. kel-al wll cum and save dem and and soul wll be lost.
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by bootlegaz: 6:19am On Aug 28, 2013
I thought scientists prediction was, in 2050 every one in Lagos will go back to their village including those from Ekiti forest claiming Lagosians? Lagos is sinking, third mainland bridge is decapitating and Abuja is expanding.
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by bolayei: 7:08am On Aug 28, 2013
Mr Rich...that happens to be peoples village, so which other village them wan go? abii you wan pursue the real owners of lagos commot?
~Bluetooth:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1241220_1016950_3274326394996_961633588_n_jpgcde099eed9478437708b083b6f2c4d82

Just look at the slum people live all in the name of wanting to live in Lagos and when Fashola decides to rehabilitate the area including the residents, they would start bitching about government's insensitivity to the plight of the poor.

You don't have to live a miserable life in Lagos because you are poor else, you go back to your village and live like a king !

1 Like

Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by juvewalex(m): 7:09am On Aug 28, 2013
Dat's awful , may GOD save d souls livin in dat area frm further destructions n I urge u guis to evacuate frm dat place b4 it becomes horrendous ....
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by bolayei: 7:15am On Aug 28, 2013
Poor man na im you be. Quote from Jay Z ''i brag about the wealth i ve got because i am not used to having them'' that phrase was reffering to people like you, Arrow.
RedBenson:

grin U dey find my trouble abi? I swear i can put u in my grib just 4 a week and u'll have a taste of heaven on earth! grin
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by solapex: 7:50am On Aug 28, 2013
bootlegaz: I thought scientists prediction was, in 2050 every one in Lagos will go back to their village including those from Ekiti forest claiming Lagosians? Lagos is sinking, third mainland bridge is decapitating and Abuja is expanding.
just listen to urself. I'm wondering the kind of person U̶̲̥̅̊ are. U̶̲̥̅̊ are really a degrace to Ūя̲̅ parents that sent U̶̲̥̅̊ to school. Ūя̲̅ wish can never come to pass. If Ūя̲̅ wish come to pass, it will affet Ūя̲̅ generations to come. Fool
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by Anniettieufia(m): 8:00am On Aug 28, 2013
Is it only that one vehicle that's got trapped ?

If so,
Then it is not a destruction.
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by snthesis(m): 8:04am On Aug 28, 2013
@naptu
tanx for d education

1 Like

Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by rossi49ja(m): 8:10am On Aug 28, 2013
Sorry for ur loss man buh y stay so close to d ocean?
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by Nobody: 8:14am On Aug 28, 2013
Interesting@naptu2
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by Nobody: 8:21am On Aug 28, 2013
This is fake...film tricks
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by Philipmems(m): 8:30am On Aug 28, 2013
oh boy na EBA na im dey on top that motor oh.... grin grin grin grin save the EBA and live the car to go down with the flood... grin grin
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by bootlegaz: 8:35am On Aug 28, 2013
solapex: just listen to urself. I'm wondering the kind of person U̶̲̥̅̊ are. U̶̲̥̅̊ are really a degrace to Ūя̲̅ parents that sent U̶̲̥̅̊ to school. Ūя̲̅ wish can never come to pass. If Ūя̲̅ wish come to pass, it will affet Ūя̲̅ generations to come. Fool
Your spoken english is worse than the erosion.
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by MrAboki: 8:43am On Aug 28, 2013
I am currently squatting with a friend who lives directly in front of Alpha Beach.. HOW COME I MISSED THIS SURGE?! When did it happen?!

*I did hear about the Whale that washed ashore sha.. Also heard that people were cutting up and carrying whale meat away.*
Re: Destruction Caused By Ocean Surge At Alpha Beach (Pictures) by biafranqueen: 9:12am On Aug 28, 2013
naptu2:

Great Wall of Lagos.

The Great Wall of Lagos cushions the effect of the waves and protects Victoria Island and the proposed Eko Atlantic City. This has stopped the ocean from periodically flowing over Bar Beach and threatening Ahmadu Bello Way and Victoria Island (a section of the road was lost to the ocean in the 1990s, but the beach and the road are now safe and secure). They need to extend this wall to protect Lekki Beach, Alpha Beach and keep extending the wall until they get to the next inlet.
Great info are you working on this project ? How high up is the Great Wall ? So that is what the reclaiming is about, because of the Wall the beaches can not be replenished . Wow so I can see very clear that Lagos is really an island surrounded completly by water. I mean I know we cross the bridge but I never saw it so clearly before until now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yet Another Accident In Abuja Today. / Sodom And Gomorrah - Where Old Prostitutes Live / Nigerian Troops Kill Sheik Zakzaky’s Son, Others In Zaria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.