Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,602 members, 7,801,742 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:45 PM

French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters (12526 Views)

Commentary: Amaechi’s Harsh Reality And Apc’s Failed Incursion Into Rivers / Oil Theft: NNPC To Deploy Drones In Nigeria’s Territorial Waters / 133 Vessels Banned From Nigerian Territorial Waters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Nobody: 2:18am On Aug 09, 2013
Fighting Pirates in the Gulf of Guinea

A French frigate is silently patrolling the ocean. In the deep waters off Port Harcourt, the battleship is patrolling a 200 square kilometers area. 

GULF OF GUINEA – In the dark of night, dozens of oil wells are spitting orange flames. They are the only things to be seen on this jet-black sea. This area south of Nigeria is one of the largest offshore oil fields in the world.

There are no lights on the deck of the Latouche-Treville either. The French frigate is silently patrolling the ocean. On this June night, in the deep waters off Port Harcourt, the battleship is patrolling a 200 square kilometers area. The area is rigged with traps: abandoned derricks, secondary platforms, primary platforms and pipelines binding them together like a spider web, over thousands of kilometers. On the navy maps, the wells of French oil company Total look like big coins.

The Latouche-Treville is engaged in “informal conversations” with the French companies in this area but the frigate wants to be able to patrol without having to report to anyone. It doesn’t answer the calls of foreigners asking for identification. “It’s the law of the jungle, here,” says the officer of the watch. The oilrigs are violating international laws by drawing a 20-kilometer (instead of the authorized 500-meter) security perimeter around their platforms, which is guarded by private military companies. “The guards are very nervous. Insecurity is very high,” says the officer.

Source: Worldcrunch.

Photo credit: Marine nationale.

http://www.marsecreview.com/2013/07/fighting-pirates-in-the-gulf-of-guinea/
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by solomon111(m): 3:23am On Aug 09, 2013
What is the navy doing about it?
And when did Nigeria became a french colony?

2 Likes

Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by brownlord: 3:41am On Aug 09, 2013
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by naptu2: 7:15am On Aug 09, 2013

1 Like

Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Nobody: 7:19am On Aug 09, 2013
This is not cool angry

1 Like

Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by TonySpike: 8:09am On Aug 09, 2013
Total is a French asset and that's enough for a French intervention. To me, it seems the Nigerian government is falling asleep faster with each new year. Unexpectedly true...

1 Like

Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 09, 2013
I believe FG is aware through the Office of the NSA, west african naval chiefs agreed on a joint patrol of their waters along with the french to combat piracy in the gulf of guinea

1 Like

Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 09, 2013
naptu2: Reminds me of this http://www.odin.tc/news/read.asp?articleID=1427
Naptu2, nairaland's reservoir of knowledge...you seem to know about everything..when I grow up, I want to be like you lol
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by naptu2: 10:13am On Aug 09, 2013
emk4lif:
Naptu2, nairaland's reservoir of knowledge...you seem to know about everything..when I grow up, I want to be like you lol

Lol. Thank you.
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by onyeguy: 11:02am On Aug 09, 2013
ABEG NO PICTURE? MAKE UNA SHOW US SOME PICS ABEG
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Dexpro: 11:03am On Aug 09, 2013
Where is our Navy?
Oppp... forgot its public holiday!
Or are the on strike?
grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by owolabifunke14(f): 11:04am On Aug 09, 2013
onye guy: ABEG NO PICTURE? MAKE UNA SHOW US SOME PICS ABEG
They snap u wen dem born u?

3 Likes

Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 09, 2013
Tu parle francais?======>yes I do
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by danchuzzy(m): 11:15am On Aug 09, 2013
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Nobody: 11:16am On Aug 09, 2013
sad
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 09, 2013
spongeback: Tu parle francais?======>yes I do
What's this one saying
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by kufre2010: 11:19am On Aug 09, 2013
Incursion into a soveriegn country's territory without a host country's permission is a violation of international law even though they are there to protect total's property. Government also should be skeptical when granting them permission because they may be on spy mission.

1 Like

Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Nobody: 11:20am On Aug 09, 2013
no be fg wey say europe and us should do more to combat oil theft?
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 09, 2013
sheyie2007: What's this one saying
Why is this one saying====> what is this one saying
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 09, 2013
spongeback:
Why is this one saying====> what is this one saying
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 09, 2013
Nigeria Navy: 1..2..Romeo Alpha Charlie...This is NNS Akaso with battleship, NNS Okemini sailing towards you at 14 Nautical Miles per minute...identify yasef before we launch our ogunigwe, sorry torpedo...Over!

French Navy: Charlie Piper Romeo...This is MV Bonssour Hollande...Sorry for sailing on ur waters without permission...we are actually here to load stolen crude, sorry crude oil from Total's Amenam Kpono Platform but decided to stroll around the Soku international waters before loading...

Nigeria Navy: Roger that Chairmo...Anything for the boys?? Even if na 20 litres we go manage am...at all at all na him bad pass...

23 Likes

Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Originalsly: 11:28am On Aug 09, 2013
naptu2: Reminds me of this http://www.odin.tc/news/read.asp?articleID=1427
Hmmm...got me scratching my head!
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by PECO4KING(m): 11:29am On Aug 09, 2013
So funny lol
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Qelvin(m): 11:31am On Aug 09, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: Nigerian Navy: 1..2..Romeo Alpha Charlie...This is NNS Akaso with NNS Okemeni sailing towards you at 14 Nautical Miles per minute...identify yasef before we launch our ogunigwe, sorry torpedo...Over!

French Navy: Charlie Piper Romeo...This is MV Bonssour Hollande...Sorry for sailing on ur waters without permission...we are actually here to load stolen crude, sorry crude oil from Total's Amenam Kpono Platform but decided to stroll around the Soku international waters...

Nigerian Navy: Roger that Chairmo...Anything for the boys?? Even if na 20 litres we go manage am...at all at all na him bad pass...
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by free2ryhme: 11:38am On Aug 09, 2013
one9jeria: [size=25pt]legalization of marijuana. cnn report.[/size] [size=22pt]suicide bomber blows 29 at funeral[/size] [size=20pt]Nelson Mandela breathing normally[/size] [size=18pt]military arrests doctor, lawyer over link with boko haram[/size][size=25pt]boko haram still have up to 6,000 fighters[/size] [size=28pt]man jumps into fire to save children[/size] all found in on and only blog [size=15pt]www.bettergists..com[/size]

u deserve an e-slap for dis

2 Likes

Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by free2ryhme: 11:40am On Aug 09, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: Nigeria Navy: 1..2..Romeo Alpha Charlie...This is NNS Akaso with battleship, NNS Okemini sailing towards you at 14 Nautical Miles per minute...identify yasef before we launch our ogunigwe, sorry torpedo...Over!

French Navy: Charlie Piper Romeo...This is MV Bonssour Hollande...Sorry for sailing on ur waters without permission...we are actually here to load stolen crude, sorry crude oil from Total's Amenam Kpono Platform but decided to stroll around the Soku international waters before loading...

Nigeria Navy: Roger that Chairmo...Anything for the boys?? Even if na 20 litres we go manage am...at all at all na him bad pass...

Hotel Alpha Hotel Alpha

lima oscar Lima

2 Likes

Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by greatestman(m): 11:41am On Aug 09, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: Nigeria Navy: 1..2..Romeo Alpha Charlie...This is NNS Akaso with battleship, NNS Okemini sailing towards you at 14 Nautical Miles per minute...identify yasef before we launch our ogunigwe, sorry torpedo...Over!

guy join comedy that is were ur talent lies I can't stop laughing
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by solomon111(m): 11:42am On Aug 09, 2013
I think the FG gave the french authorization to ensure proper policing of the sea.
Though this is very unpalatable.
I wonder why the FG cannot fully equip the navy with what it need to effectively police the gulf of guinea.
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Orikinla(m): 11:46am On Aug 09, 2013
[size=18pt]Hiss.

What of those who have been stealing our crude oil and exporting it right under the nose of the Nigerian Navy for decades?[/size]
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by DrMuzungu(m): 11:49am On Aug 09, 2013
solomon111: What is the navy doing about it?
And when did Nigeria became a french colony?

And what is NAVY doing about all pirate attacks?!?!?! So, you are not capable of securing your territorial waters properly but you keep quiet over it, but when someone else does it for you, it suddenly becomes a problem?!?!?!

Why is that?
Re: French Illegal Incursion Into Nigerian Territorial Waters by Clemzy16(m): 11:50am On Aug 09, 2013
"i'm too lazy to read the news"

"does it mean they are stealing our oil or what. . . ??!"

™ƺƔcιεмεηт®

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Response To Pa Edwin Clark On Rivers State, Delta State And / 2023: Afenifere Denies Endorsing Tinubu / INEC To Political Parties: Deadline For Primaries Will NOT Be Extended

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.