Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,605 members, 7,801,759 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

View Websites Remotely From Different Geographic Locations Using Geopeeker - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / View Websites Remotely From Different Geographic Locations Using Geopeeker (4212 Views)

How To Get Huge Visitors From Different Source Daily To Your Web / Tips On Displaying Different Ad Codes From Different Account On A Website. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

View Websites Remotely From Different Geographic Locations Using Geopeeker by BOLAJIAJANI(m): 3:46am On Aug 10, 2013
I know it's somehow when we need to check how a particular website would display to people from a particular location. And we've to start worrying about the ip, proxies and whatnot. Moreover, getting some websites fooled takes more time than necessary. Plus, nobody really likes to resort to calling friends abroad to help them check. Hence, the reason I searched for a more better solution, GeoPeeker.

How I Came Across GeoPeeker

Some days ago, I wanted to see what ads a particular website would display for people viewing outside my location. I was about to begin all the hassle when something came to my mind. I felt there should be a tool that does this perfectly. Without further ado, I landed my browser on a search engine, and within minutes I found what(GeoPeeker) I was searching for.

Why Would You Need To View Websites From Different Geographic Locations Remotely?

If you are checking this page, I believe you already know the purpose of this post. But, for the sake of people who are just curious to know more. I guess it's only right for me to write some instances where this is needed.

1). It can be used to ensure that the DNS is propagating properly
2). It can be handy if you write codes(to change contents) for a website based on location. e.g. you could want a different greeting shown for people visiting from a particular location, you could even have a different outlook for people from other location(s) etc.

What Is GeoPeeker?

GeoPeeker is a tool that was developed by Christopher Lewis using the Dinkly PHP Framework. It remotely views a site from different geographic locations and displays how they appear. This is very helpful when starting out a website, as it can be used to ensure that the DNS is propagating properly. It's also pretty handy for troubleshooting CDN and caching issues.

What you can do with GeoPeeker
View localization differences
Check if a site is available in other countries
Get the IP address of a site from different locations
See if a site is down for just you, or for everyone
Check global DNS propagation
Troubleshoot content caching issues

How To Use GeoPeeker?

GeoPeeker is a very easy tool to use, which comes with a nice and smooth GUI. To start using GeoPeeker, you have to first visit http://www.geopeeker.com/. After getting to the index page, you'll be provided with an address box. All you have to do is, enter the web address you would like to view from other geographic locations remotely and push the go button. e.g you enter blog.onegist.com. and press enter or use the submit button(go) as the case may be. Depending on how fast your network is, your last action should generate another page almost immediately. The last page generated should bring out six different frames, showing the images of the web address you entered previously as if you were viewing from six different geographic locations. You can now zoom the images which are rendered using WebKit with a screen width of 1280 pixels.

NOTE: GeoPeeker is still in a kind of beta version presently and as such can only view from just six different locations(San Jose, California, United States, Ashburn, Virginia, United States, Sydney, Australia, São Paulo, Brazil, South America, Ireland, Europe, Singapore, Asia) at the moment. Although, when I contacted Chris, he said he's working very hard to set up additional nodes in different countries. And he also has additional features on mind.

Re: View Websites Remotely From Different Geographic Locations Using Geopeeker by richardexpert: 10:56am On Sep 28, 2013
Hey All,

GeoPeeker is a great online tool and works awesome, but there is an another tool that works by just changing location on the browser i.e. geoedge.
I have been using it for a long time for website checking plus also for the checking of online ads as my profession and have never faced issue as such. It's easy to install. Refer : www.geoedge.com

Regards,
Richard (Advertising Expert)

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Randomly Change Background Image Of My Pages / School Portal ...... Any Help / How To Generate Visa Cards On A Commercial Level

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.