Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,378 members, 7,808,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

Latest On ASUU Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Latest On ASUU Strike (66207 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Strike / Latest News On ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Latest On ASUU Strike by ceospecial(m): 1:20pm On Aug 10, 2013
President of the Academic Staff Union
ofUniversities (ASUU), Dr Nasir Fagge,
yesterday dashed the hopes of
students and parents as he vowed that
the union will continue its over one
month strike until government meets all its demands. Fagge, who spoke to journalists after
leaving the sub-committee meeting
headed by Benue State Governor
Gabriel Suswan’s NEEDS Assessment
committee, stated that the union would
not end the strike until the union completely deals with all the challenges
confronting universities. When asked if ASUU could not end the
strike for the interest of the students, he
said NO. He queried: “Didn’t we do that in the
past? How many times did we call off strike
before and nothing happened? When we call off strike, people just go
back and sleep. Is that what you want
us to do?
To Continue having strike in this
country? Don’t you think for once, it is better we
come out and things are done right
before we call off the strike? I think that
is better for this country.”

1 Like

Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by ceospecial(m): 1:23pm On Aug 10, 2013
cry To all my Nigeria students sitting down @ home... There seems to be NO HOPE. Make una go find job do.
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by mthiaszp(m): 2:10pm On Aug 10, 2013
great Nigeria Student.....

...how long are we going to stay @ home am tired od staying @ home and my dad has ask me not to work jst don't know.ASUU should please call off the strike.
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by Joshuahunpe(m): 2:53pm On Aug 10, 2013
Hun-un, Niger edu! All na delay. The most painful part of the strike is dose the president of ASUU and our Mr president of d country including all our leader's childrens are not studying in d country, even those of them studying in d country were in private uni. God help us sha!

1 Like

Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by joe4christ(m): 4:51pm On Aug 10, 2013
Okay now, i'm seeking a Job right away...
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by marcangelo(m): 5:25pm On Aug 10, 2013
I'm happy about what ASSUU presido said..though i'm a student and it affects me, its better dis way, let this be d final strike even if it lasts 4 who knws how long...
because if dey cal of strike 4 interest of students , in a few months time dere will b anoda strike and d cycle continues...

i'm just happy dat dis wil be d final strike on dis 2009 issue.. Xcept anoda ting comes up in future.. Remember "no pain no gain"

1 Like

Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by chiboy429(m): 6:25pm On Aug 10, 2013
ASUU has dis organised every stdnts plan.i was reali touched wen mr president who supoz 2 assure that things are ok ,he is busy urging studnt not to embark on any form of illicit act,i thought he was formerly a scholar,he ought to have known beta the plights of the strike rather than making those derogatory and unpleasant remark is it going to help matters?.what does he expect an idle mind.
Nigeria is such a nation like the proverbial onion,where on frying leaves its origin and go to near neighbourhood to pour out its sweet aroma.meanwhile its place is stinking.that is to say,nigeria and her government involves her self in irrelevant samaritan service that is getting out of hand but here we are facing several drowning problems that requires one resources or another.
Several aid rescue that nigeria has embarked on shows how extravagant nigeria is ,just few months ago ,nigeria sent out troops of forces including mobile,JTF,soldiers to Mali on peace keeping during their ethnic crisis,where as just one group of person called boko haram is giving us sleepless 9t.
Still on Mali issue nigeria gave Mali millions of dollars to use in sustaining her agricultural practices and for sponsoring her presidential elections,why do we love notice me too much.we are here struggling with unemployment,strike every where,boko haram etc etc.how many of them has sent their own aid or even passed a call to know how far.
It is on this note that we should rethink and make things easier for all of us.you can like us at http://enews.com.ng

3 Likes

Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by Swiftboy(m): 6:46pm On Aug 10, 2013
we youths of this nation must take our destiny in our hand by a political revolution, if not we wont even have a future to hope for.

1 Like

Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by Switup: 7:36pm On Aug 10, 2013
(singing) i don tiya, i don tiya.. I dey go back 2 my village.., i dey go fry garri....
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by Odunharry(m): 8:44pm On Aug 10, 2013
Swit up: (singing) i don tiya, i don tiya.. I dey go back 2 my village.., i dey go fry garri....
wow ma cousin stil remembr dat song,wen we wr v much younger.
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by ojophilip1(m): 8:45pm On Aug 10, 2013
It is even better like this, I want them †̥ continue with the strrike until the 2009 agreement being implimented, cos what is the essence ☀̤̣̈̇f going †̥ school without adequate facilities, Nigeria government are cheating us and I †нȊ̝̊̅ηк this is the best way we Σα̲̅ñ deliver ourselves from slavery,let us put an end †̥ the slavery.
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by Ayima: 9:06pm On Aug 10, 2013
Nigerian leaders doesn't deserve students votes, because they have been taking us as fools and people who doesn't need any better education.Let me see who will come and tell me to go and vote.

1 Like

Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by Swiftboy(m): 9:52pm On Aug 10, 2013
thats more like it! lets revolt not violently though.

1 Like

Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by Switup: 10:21pm On Aug 10, 2013
Odunharry:
wow ma cousin stil remembr dat song,wen we wr v much younger.
yes o kozin... What else can i do naw..? Shei u said i shouldn't get married to that man naw.. So lemme do wat d song says.. .
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by Odunharry(m): 10:45pm On Aug 10, 2013
Swit up: yes o kozin... What else can i do naw..? Shei u said i shouldn't get married to that man naw.. So lemme do wat d song says.. .
no nw..jus wait u dnt av 2 rush ok.
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by Switup: 10:51pm On Aug 10, 2013
^^Okay kozin.., i'll wait just cus u said so
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by olalekan1(m): 11:11pm On Aug 10, 2013
This ASUU are the most selfish association I have ever seen. For so long that they have been embarking on strike, is this not the right time for them to know that strike can not solve the problem of eduction in this country. When ASUU listed all their demands that time including salary increment, the FG has met over 80% of these demands, if adequate funding of our education is of utmost priority to ASUU, it should have come first in their demands. Its just that we do not have a strong president who will issue a no work no pay policy on any striking association. To me the reason why ASUU keep on embarking on strike is because they have nothing to loose, they have time to attend to do other business, many of them lecture in private universities and most of all, they know fully well that even if they strike for one year they will collect their full salary plus allowance. My own suggestion is that goverment should sell 40% ownership of all its universities to the public and stop paying lecturers their salaries, even if the students will have to pay more to study, the government will just issue a study loan to interested and serious students who can not afford to pay their school fees, also govt should scrap jamb and let each univeristy conducts its entrance examination for its prospective students. Doing these will allow the university to be independent and there will be high competitioon among the universities.

3 Likes

Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by iykyvic(m): 11:47pm On Aug 10, 2013
the education system needs to be revamped and re-thought because all it is now is a money making scam, with no room for creativity or technological advancement.
http://topserve.com.ng/the-difference-between-you-and-your-employer/
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by jmethelblog(m): 8:36am On Aug 11, 2013
learn how to start importation of goods like blackberry,ipad,computer,shoe,etc with low price.and it will shifted to your desire address free.you can even order 1 item.you may here this information before or is new to you yes but in this online seminar is free absolutely free.see how it work, you search for a product and pay the goods will be shifted to your desire address you can start this business with 1000 naira what you need is mastercard/or visa and ur shifting address, note you can request your money back if the seller fail to deliver at a particular period of time
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by jmethelblog(m): 8:37am On Aug 11, 2013
learn how to start importation of goods like blackberry,ipad,computer,shoe,etc with low price.and it will shifted to your desire address free.you can even order 1 item.you may here this information before or is new to you yes but in this online seminar is free absolutely free.see how it work, you search for a product and pay the goods will be shifted to your desire address you can start this business with 1000 naira what you need is mastercard/or visa and ur shifting address, note you can request your money back if the seller fail to deliver at a particular period of time RUSH NOW AT www.importbusiness.tk
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by Extom(m): 10:08am On Aug 11, 2013
WTF??
Una for let me graduate 1st now...
Job-seeking right away
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by damieji: 9:42am On Aug 12, 2013
Swiftboy: we youths of this nation must take our destiny in our hand by a political revolution, if not we wont even have a future to hope for.
U no wetin political revolution mean . D truth lies in dat s political revolution is not feasible in our political climate because as much as we like chance no one is willing to make d sacrifice for change the sacrificewhose only reward is d pride in being a patriot bcus a revolution as u say it will lead to a usurp of Power definitely but it will result in d same cycle of corruption wen dis new breed decide dat dey should rewarded 4 deir participation in d revolution. Hence creating d environment for widespread plutocracy and den dissatisfaction arises and den an excuse for another revolution is given . One cycle leading to another the solution to me lies in a collective ideal lived by a significant consensus of any nation truly believing in justice and truth. And true patriotism not to any tribe or clan but the nation as a whole. And dis is where true religion got it rite
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by damieji: 10:17am On Aug 12, 2013
olalekan1: This ASUU are the most selfish association I have ever seen. For so long that they have been embarking on strike, is this not the right time for them to know that strike can not solve the problem of eduction in this country. When ASUU listed all their demands that time including salary increment, the FG has met over 80% of these demands, if adequate funding of our education is of utmost priority to ASUU, it should have come first in their demands. Its just that we do not have a strong president who will issue a no work no pay policy on any striking association. To me the reason why ASUU keep on embarking on strike is because they have nothing to loose, they have time to attend to do other business, many of them lecture in private universities and most of all, they know fully well that even if they strike for one year they will collect their full salary plus allowance. My own suggestion is that goverment should sell 40% ownership of all its universities to the public and stop paying lecturers their salaries, even if the students will have to pay more to study, the government will just issue a study loan to interested and serious students who can not afford to pay their school fees, also govt should scrap jamb and let each univeristy conducts its entrance examination for its prospective students. Doing these will allow the university to be independent and there will be high competitioon among the universities.
Some valid points are made but let's not be deluded. Dis is not the U.S study loans are totally impracticable. D U.S is battling with a current 10% unemployment rate we r battling with. Ovr 30% r u expecting a student wit little prospect of a job when he leaves school to willingingly enter into a study loan he has a lesser chance of servicing. Definitely dis will reduce d amount of students vying for schools but it will also lead to an increase in vices nd crime wat school signifies is hope which is tantamountto a nations survival as much as results. If u remove a students hope u force him into desperate acts and this leads to atrocious tings being done under d guise of survival also u r forgetting d economic significance of a high fee for public universities. This inherently will result in a reduction of d already low skilled to unskilled ratio of labour. At dis point in time of our nations development we need an increase in our skilled labour which is d facilitator of innovation and industrial growth. Hence industrial action is d best possible solution but not just dat demonstrations should also accompany dis and d responsibilities doesn't lie on d lecturers but d students as well bus as much as it affects dem it affects us more. We need to also re-evaluate our leaders but not only dat during weir campaigns let's not be swayed by deir endless rhetorics but should demand for a course of action dat dey r Willing to follow wen dey r in office. I don't want to hear anoder "Good education" speech I want to know the steps in the leaders agenda to providing cheap and standard education
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by damieji: 10:43am On Aug 12, 2013
Ayima: Nigerian leaders doesn't deserve students votes, because they have been taking us as fools and people who doesn't need any better education.Let me see who will come and tell me to go and vote.
My man forgive me but dat idea is positively asinine. If u r nt involved in d electoral process den anybody will just take d post. But u still get to live wit d policies of dat person. So who is harming who. And please let's get dis straight ASUU is nt selfish. Bcus anybody demanding deir right dat has been promised to dem is justified. D federal govt dat pro mised wat dey could not deliver r d irresponsible ones dey made d deal to shut dem up nd postpone deir issue to anoda time. Dat is terrible governance at best. I am a student in lag bt dat doesn't mean I shld nt tink logically. It affects me a lot bt at dis juncture we need a lasting solution so our siblings will nt endure d same. I would love to hear comments nd ideas.

1 Like

Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by Swiftboy(m): 5:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
damieji:
My man forgive me but dat idea is positively asinine. If u r nt involved in d electoral process den anybody will just take d post. But u still get to live wit d policies of dat person. So who is harming who. And please let's get dis straight ASUU is nt selfish. Bcus anybody demanding deir right dat has been promised to dem is justified. D federal govt dat pro mised wat dey could not deliver r d irresponsible ones dey made d deal to shut dem up nd postpone deir issue to anoda time. Dat is terrible governance at best. I am a student in lag bt dat doesn't mean I shld nt tink logically. It affects me a lot bt at dis juncture we need a lasting solution so our siblings will nt endure d same. I would love to hear comments nd ideas.
I totally agreed with you...we're suffering we're not involved enough.Its the government that need to be responsible! I heard that some stupid students in the name of the national SUG want to riot against ASSU.Wrong move! If you are really interested in this nation you'll support the strike.Its a shame what our education has turned to and our leaders are not even showing any concern.We must bring them to realise how important education is.
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by GNwafor(m): 8:26pm On Aug 21, 2013
Are you tired of the incessant strike actions in the Nigerian Education sector, all hope is not lost, there is a way out.

A Hot-selling E-Book just released exposes some of the world's best online tuition free Universities with NYSC Certificate Guaranteed.

Get the e-book with just $25/N4000.

You future is in your hands
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by obagirlie(f): 2:33pm On Sep 02, 2013
Why will the federal government fail to implement an agreement they entered into willingly or were they under duress when entering into an agreement with ASUU. This impending strike is the fault of the Fg but we are begging them to consider the future of this country cos we are the future of this country. Even if what ASUU is fighting for is their pocket,as long as they are entitled to it,I think the fight is justified cos its the fruit of their labour they are fighting for. You don't expect a lecturer to come to class to impact knowledge when he is not able to cater for all the needs of his family. Whereas this strike is for the betterment of the educational sector so ASUU is justified. I will just urge Mr President to stop being a figure head and think about what is best for this country and do it cos the future of this country is at stake.
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by Joyray(f): 5:21pm On Sep 02, 2013
ceospecial: President of the Academic Staff Union
ofUniversities (ASUU), Dr Nasir Fagge,
yesterday dashed the hopes of
students and parents as he vowed that
the union will continue its over one
month strike until government meets all its demands. Fagge, who spoke to journalists after
leaving the sub-committee meeting
headed by Benue State Governor
Gabriel Suswan’s NEEDS Assessment
committee, stated that the union would
not end the strike until the union completely deals with all the challenges
confronting universities. When asked if ASUU could not end the
strike for the interest of the students, he
said NO. He queried: “Didn’t we do that in the
past? How many times did we call off strike
before and nothing happened? When we call off strike, people just go
back and sleep. Is that what you want
us to do?
To Continue having strike in this
country? Don’t you think for once, it is better we
come out and things are done right
before we call off the strike? I think that
is better for this country.”
Re: Latest On ASUU Strike by pheforusty(m): 5:33pm On Sep 02, 2013
I refuse 2 b frustrated n angry..

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 / Ugandan Lecturer, Nyanzi, Strips Unclad To Protest Eviction (video, Photos) / How To Perfectly Choose Subjects For SSCE / WAEC Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.