Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space (10161 Views)

Nigeria Astronaut Will Land In Space Before 2030 - Minister Of Science & Tech / Proof Of The Motion Of The Earth In The Vacuum.(as In, Space) / See What A Man In Aba Made Using "I Pass My Neighbour Generator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by 80million1: 2:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
onye guy: waiting concern agboro with overload undecided
i wonder o
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
I pity who will become the lab rat, PHCN wee just take light and the lab rat wee be stranded in Space. They won't think of how to create jobs for our unemployed youths o. Awon ole oshi radarada. mtchew.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by AjanleKoko: 2:30pm On Aug 12, 2013
Ol boy shocked
See racket cheesy grin

300 million quid?
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by rindee(m): 2:31pm On Aug 12, 2013
That is so much a luxury for us right now if you ask me.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by executinal(m): 2:31pm On Aug 12, 2013
I am ready, Jona send me cool
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 12, 2013
Siga: ..... Na Jonathan we wan carry go first... grin
......AND NA DANBABA SUNTAI GO PILOT THE SPACE SHIP
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by 360command: 2:41pm On Aug 12, 2013
Very good one . We need to be thinking science as science can only make the nation grow. no more arts and commerce. lets go science and technology.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by Hanihairy(m): 2:42pm On Aug 12, 2013
Wat i fink is dat dis government lacks basic knwlege of wat d masses rily needs....
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by Phonon: 2:43pm On Aug 12, 2013
Na so our minister go carry rocket fuel go sell, replace am with kerosene.

Governors go dey fight for who go collect nomination enter space from their geo-political zone.

The "ASTRONAUTS" go reach space, dem go dey protest say dem no wan come back until they pay their salaries.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by MrCork: 2:46pm On Aug 12, 2013
...juss to escape from Nigerian women..I will go!! angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by hrhobi1(m): 2:46pm On Aug 12, 2013
ASUU still on strike tinz.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by Siga: 2:49pm On Aug 12, 2013
#80million:

Mr Siga, how are u today sir?
...I dey kampe my brother... getting Jonathan ready for the maiden flight

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by anonimi: 2:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
This moronic act can be classified as what

a) Stup.id!
b) Stup.id-ER!!
c) Stup.id-EST!!!
d) All of the above
e) None of the above

ASUU dey strike dem never pay them correct salary and revive the universities for better research as well as partner LGAs and states for counterpart funding of vocational schools and technical colleges to create value respectively.

In Nigeria, we build houses starting from the roof.
SMH!!!
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 12, 2013
Misplaced priority
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by naptu2: 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
[size=14pt]British MPs at war over N234bn Nigeria’s space programme.[/size]

By Kirk Leigh

British members of parliament were Thursday thrown into violent augments about the propriety of spending over a billion pounds of tax payers’ money to fund Nigeria’s space programme.

Nigeria is spending millions to put a man into space – as Britain hands it more than £1billion (N234bn) in foreign aid. Britain has given Nigeria £300million this year alone, to help the ambitious plans to launch its own rockets.

But in an unexpected twist last week, critics asked why Britain was, in effect, subsidising a space programme for a nation where 70 per cent of people live below the poverty line.

This latest controversy came just two days after parliamentarian Godfrey Bloom ignited a fierce debate by saying it was folly to give billions in aid to ‘Bongo Bongo land’.

Responding to the remarks, Prime Minister David Cameron said they were offensive and accused Mr Bloom of being guilty of a ‘stop the world I want to get off’ approach to foreign aid.

The £1.14billion Nigeria will receive over the five years of the Coalition is double the £500million set aside to prop up struggling accident and emergency departments at our UK hospitals, observed the Daily Mail, a British Newspaper.

Backbench Tory MP Philip Davies said it was ‘totally unjustifiable and unaffordable’ for Britain to give this money to Nigeria, given the scale of its ‘grandiose’ space programme.

‘We cannot go around the world saying “don’t worry, we will feed your public for you while you waste your money on all sorts of other projects”,’ he said.

‘We have got to say to these countries “you have got to spend that money on your people where it’s most needed not on some grandiose space programme”. We are against welfare dependency at home but at the same time we are encouraging welfare dependency abroad.’

The row surrounding Mr Bloom flared when he insisted that sending aid to Africa was tantamount to treason.

He added: ‘How we can possibly be giving a billion pounds a month, when we’re in this sort of debt, to Bongo Bongo land is completely beyond me.’

He claimed foreign leaders frittered the money away on ‘Ray-Ban sunglasses, apartments in Paris and Ferraris’.

He was widely criticised for using the term ‘Bongo Bongo land’ but many commentators believe he was right about the building resentment over spiralling foreign aid.

The Department for International Development’s budget is rising by 35 per cent in real terms by 2015. But while aid costs are ballooning, spending on the military, the police, border control and care homes is being slashed says the Mail.

“Britain is also spending about £280million a year on aid to India, another country with its own space programme. Despite Nigeria having the second-highest national income of all African countries, most of its people still live in poverty. It is also mired in corruption. The most modest estimates suggest between £2.5 and £5billion is stolen from the state’s coffers every year by corrupt officials and politicians”, the mail further notes.

Jonathan Isaby from the TaxPayers’ Alliance said: ‘When budgets are tight both for families and the Government alike, people cannot understand why ministers are sending more and more of our hard-earned cash overseas.

‘Taxpayers find it especially unacceptable when their money is sent abroad as aid to developing countries which then somehow find sufficient cash to fund the likes of a space programme.

‘It is totally unacceptable that British taxpayers’ money is effectively subsidising Nigeria’s efforts to send an astronaut into space.’

Nigeria’s space programme started in 2003 but its first satellite lost power and disappeared from orbit.

It now has three in space, NigComSat-1R, NigeriaSat-2 and Nigeria-Sat X, the first to be constructed by Nigerian engineers.

Although it has bought its own satellites and launched on Russian rockets, Nigeria has built laboratories which it hopes will produce its own space craft by 2028.

The National Space Research and Development Agency confirmed Nigerian astronauts should be trained and ready for space travel within two years.

In July this year, NASRDA’s director general, Professor Seidu Onailo Mohammed, declared: ‘By our road map we are supposed to have astronauts prepared by 2015. Before the end of the year, the recruitment of astronauts will begin so that we have them handy and as soon as we get the nod we can pick from that number.’

The Nigerian government has not released detailed figures on how much it is spending on its space programme, but it is thought to be hundreds of millions of pounds a year. British aid to Nigeria will increase by 116 per cent under the Coalition government, from £141million in 2010/11 to £305million in 2014/15. It amounts to a total of £1.14billion over five years.

Nigeria, says the Mail, has also been criticised for failing to crack down on corruption. The only senior figure from Nigeria to have been prosecuted over corruption in recent years was jailed by a British court.

James Ibori, the former governor of Delta state, was sentenced to 13 years for money laundering, forgery and fraud totalling nearly £50million. He used the money to live a lavish lifestyle, buying a house in London worth £2.25million and luxury cars worth over £650,000.

A spokesman for the Department for International Development said spending aid money in Nigeria would help cut crime and illegal immigration in Britain.

‘No UK aid money goes through the Nigerian government,’ she said. ‘Our investment goes into specific health, education and poverty reduction programmes. Nigeria is home to a quarter of the poorest people in Africa, and supporting their development will benefit our own trade and security.’

http://www.mydailynewswatchng.com/2013/08/11/british-mps-at-war-over-n234bn-nigerias-space-programme/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by Memyselfu2009(m): 3:13pm On Aug 12, 2013
Thats would happen before coming of christ or after coming if christ or in the year 3000
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by thaoriginator: 3:13pm On Aug 12, 2013
Which kain space? Space? As in, space for up? Who wan die!
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by hardbody: 3:18pm On Aug 12, 2013
I pity the guinea pig of a man that will allow his life and destiny to be so wasted. The man will grow and turn to mushroom in outer space. Abi Nigerians think there is life out there so they can carry their corruption and ineptitude to outer space? Bunch of jokers. What happened to what they shot into outer space sometime ago that disappeared till today. Fake people.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by HezronLorraine(m): 3:21pm On Aug 12, 2013
Naija no dey carry last.mtcheeeew.
Goes back to temple run OZ.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by madjune(m): 3:23pm On Aug 12, 2013
PDP DON COME AGAIN WITH THEIR MONEY LAUNDERING IDEAS...DEM DON FINISH FOR GROUND. NA TO CARRY MONEY GO SPACE NOW?
I'M SURE FIRST BANK DON OPEN BRANCH THERE.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 12, 2013
This is a welcome development. I love challenges especially tall ones, and I think if the govt is serious about this project it will benefit us in many ways. our schools will start having courses and training graduates in space technology, our power base will be buoyant, our telecommunication sector will improve in services, agriculture and health sectors will not be left out and our security and surveillance system will become more effective. I pray by 2025 Nigeria should have manufactured a made in Nigeria rocket by Nigerian engineers that will be launched on Nigeria's soil and piloted by Nigerian astronauts
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:27pm On Aug 12, 2013
Erm, how is space mission going to be advantageous to Nigerians?
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by Ferdinandu(m): 3:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
The Federal Engineering School i went to in Nigeria has almost empty and outdated equipment in its workshop . Nigeria has wasted hundreds of millions of dollars launching satellites that has been completely useless so far.If all those wasted money are utilised in equiping Nigerian engineering and improving local content on Engineering in this country,i know the real change it would have made in this country but these retarded heartless souls continue to waste the money. One day monkey go go market e no go return.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by obi123: 3:39pm On Aug 12, 2013
koastar: This is a welcome development. I love challenges especially tall ones, and I think if the govt is serious about this project it will benefit us in many ways. our schools will start having courses and training graduates in space technology, our power base will be buoyant, our telecommunication sector will improve in services, agriculture and health sectors will not be left out and our security and surveillance system will become more effective. I pray by 2025 Nigeria should have manufactured a made in Nigeria rocket by Nigerian engineers that will be launched on Nigeria's soil and piloted by Nigerian astronauts

your hopefulness is out of this world(no pun intended)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by Lobolintin(m): 3:39pm On Aug 12, 2013
Sanusi:cashles policiz,tyt bnk MOP
INTERPOOl &EFCC: SWISS BANK MONEY LAUNDering has reducd.
Wht else.... Take cash 2 space...
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by cold(m): 3:47pm On Aug 12, 2013
Oh well,at least we're not spending it on Ray ban sunglasses & Ferraris like they do in 'Bongo-Bongo land'.Wherever that is.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 12, 2013
Hihihahahihihahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by nkpommpko(m): 3:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
Which lite dem won use launch am?
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by yame014: 4:02pm On Aug 12, 2013
nkpom mpko: Which lite dem won use launch am?

Mikano generator now....wait o...dem fit build rechargeable space ship na cheesy... or better still we go go lunch am for ghana...undecided
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by moshoodn(m): 4:08pm On Aug 12, 2013
Bulls and bears.
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by dieold: 4:08pm On Aug 12, 2013
its over between us!
Give me some space!!!
Re: Nigeria Moves To Put Man In Space by Vansnickers: 4:17pm On Aug 12, 2013
koastar: This is a welcome development. I love challenges especially tall ones, and I think if the govt is serious about this project it will benefit us in many ways. our schools will start having courses and training graduates in space technology, our power base will be buoyant, our telecommunication sector will improve in services, agriculture and health sectors will not be left out and our security and surveillance system will become more effective. I pray by 2025 Nigeria should have manufactured a made in Nigeria rocket by
Nigerian engineers that will be launched on Nigeria's soil and piloted by Nigerian
astronauts

What are you saying?! What fool supports this? Nigeria has so many unfinished projects, there are so many terrible federal roads, the power sector is in shambles,graduates are unemployed, people are still suffering in that country and these fools want to send a man to space. Madness! Madness! Madness!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Post Any PC Trial Version Software, Then I Will Get You The Full/crack Version / What Exactly Happened To The Lost Apollo 18 Astronauts! Act Of God Or Man Theory / A Legal Way To Get Free N100 Airtime Every Time I Recharge???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.