Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:23 PM

"Ringing" A Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / "Ringing" A Car (5695 Views)

Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / Ringing Sound From My Nissan Xterra VG33Q Engine / Ringing Of Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Ringing" A Car by laluski(m): 9:13pm On Aug 10, 2013
Hello
My car was seriosly smokin at the exhuast pipe some weeks back and my meachanic said I need to "ring" my car.
I did that and he said I needed to run the engine for awhile.when I drove it home,I discorvered that the car wouldn't accelerate.d next day,I decided to throttle harder only to notice dat my engine light was blinkin and my fuel going down seriosly.I slowed down and it normalised and since den its been normal.
I went to his shop today and saw my rewire who explained to me that my mechanic forgot to tell me not to speed with with car yet since all parts in it are still new and would take somtym for it all to adjust properly.
Now I do max of 40km or less.is dis ok? Will the car actually start speeding as it used to again(cos the engine is a 5x engine) and what does "ringing" mean?The car is a '95 camry.
Tnx
Re: "Ringing" A Car by laluski(m): 12:11am On Aug 11, 2013
Sienna,ikenna,car doctor,zim drill pls give ur opinions
Re: "Ringing" A Car by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 11, 2013
Sounds like your engine had new piston rings fitted. I don't know why this was done, or how many miles your engine has covered. I hope your mechanic had the cylinder bores honed, otherwise your cylinder compression may be lower than normal, which means less power, and bad gas mileage.

A rebuilt engine shouldn't be run at its maximum rpm range, as new parts need to bed in properly. This is more critical if new main bearings and big-end bearings were fitted. It's very easy to spin a crank main bearing and throw a rod, if the engine is not run-in properly.

You need to Google "Running in a rebuilt engine", "New piston rings in an engine" to get more knowledge of what's involved.

Out of interest, whay did your engine need new rings, and what's the current mileage? Did your mechanic use a new cylinder head gasket and new cylinder head bolts, or did he re-use the old ones?
Re: "Ringing" A Car by cardoctor(m): 2:45pm On Aug 11, 2013
Why ring the engine? You could easily pick up a low mileage engine for that car for less than 40k and save yourself all the wahala of incompetent mechanics and fake parts. Your old scrap engine could still fetch about 7k from scrap iron dealers.

Car-doctor.
Re: "Ringing" A Car by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:16pm On Aug 11, 2013
car-doctor:
Why ring the engine? You could easily pick up a low mileage engine for that car for less than 40k and save yourself all the wahala of incompetent mechanics and fake parts. Your old scrap engine could still fetch about 7k from scrap iron dealers.

Car-doctor.

i agree my friend's 2002 ford focus started to smoke from nowhere and we would tell that that it was the rings, we phoned a spare shop for rings and were going for £100 and something, doing the maths it was not worth it we would rather look for engine with that £150

in his case we are scraping the car
Re: "Ringing" A Car by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 11, 2013
ZIM DRILL: in his case we are scraping the car

Zim, if this car is still available, I might be interested.
Re: "Ringing" A Car by sultaan(m): 8:22pm On Aug 11, 2013
Siena interested in a Ford Focus!!!

Did anybody else hear the angels blowing the trumpet grin grin.

The OP could have had a bad injector and they went to ring the engine cry

Things mechanics do
Re: "Ringing" A Car by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:10pm On Aug 11, 2013
Siena:

Zim, if this car is still available, I might be interested.

yes it but remember am in uk
Re: "Ringing" A Car by Nobody: 1:07am On Aug 12, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

yes it but remember am in uk

So am I, lol...
Re: "Ringing" A Car by Nobody: 1:09am On Aug 12, 2013
sultaan: Siena interested in a Ford Focus!!!

Did anybody else hear the angels blowing the trumpet grin grin.

Lol. Naturally it wouldn't be for me. smiley
Re: "Ringing" A Car by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:48am On Aug 12, 2013
Siena:

So am I, lol...

thats fine but am up north in glasgow

holla on 07949052276

(1) (Reply)

Is This The Most Beautiful Car In The World? Find Out / Drive A Toyota??? Ask Me Anything / I am Thinking Of Buying Volvo S40 For Uber, Am I On A Suicide Mission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.