Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,139 members, 7,780,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:13 AM

Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets (8427 Views)

Wukari: Corps Litter Streets As Jukun Militia Goes On Rampage, Houses Torched / Fresh Crisis Looms In Rivers Amaechi Hold LG Polls On May 23, PDP Against Move / Celebration In Imo As Rochas Emerges The Winner Of Governorship Election(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by Emekanews(m): 5:16pm On Aug 11, 2013

Heaps of refuse at School Road Market, Ama Hausa, World Bank Market and Old Okigwe road all in Owerri

Residents of Owerri, the Imo State capital, are in for imminent outbreak of epidemic following the littering of streets and markets in the capital city with heaps of refuse.

According to checks by our reporter in Owerri, major streets and markets in the city are now replete with repulsive and overpowering stench of rotten heaps of over-stayed refuse.

Our checks reveal that at Umezuruike Street by Royce Road, Ama Hausa, Egbeada Road, Item/Mbari streets in Ikenegbu, Orji and Egbu Roads, heaps of refuse have since taken over the roads and streets.

The situation is worse in such markets as Relief, World Bank, New Market, Eke Onunwa and School Road Markets where some traders display their wares including edible items while those allergic to such odours, abandoned their stalls waiting till when the officials of Imo State Environmental Transformation Commission (ENTRACO) come to evacuate the dirt.

It is even worst any day the citizens decide to embark on general sanitation by scooping out dirts. The roads would be impassable for days.

As a result of this, residents and traders are no longer finding it comfortable doing business around the affected streets and markets.

For instance, shop and stall owners on Umezuruike Street and Old Okigwe Road have packed up since one week.

Speaking to 247ureports.com a resident at Egbu, Mr Iyke Ozurumba expressed deep concern that Owerri which was once reputed for being the cleanest city in Nigeria, has turned to stinking place.

Mr Ozurumba wondered why the Rochas Okorocha-led government should allow such ugly sites that were capable of causing epidemic in the state to exist unattended to.

‘My brother, the entire situation is an eyesore. From my residence at Egbu to Ama Hausa and inside all the markets in the metropolis, the site you behold is a very dirty capital city. It’s very unfortunate.

‘I must tell you that since this government came into being, Owerri has not remained the same again in terms of cleanliness’, he lamented.

Another resident, Chika Nwaiche who resides on Royce Road, could not understand why the state government should pay lip service to environmental sanitation, saying for about two years now, the state capital had consistently remained ‘putrid with heaps of dirt’.

‘You can imagine our predicaments here. When my friends visit me from Aba, which is known for dirt, they complain that Owerri is becoming like Aba in terms of dirt and bad odours’, Nwaiche lamented.

They blamed the state government for leaving the evacuation of refuse in the hands of contractors without adequately monitoring their operations.

Information reaching 247ureports.com has it that the immediate past administration of Chief Ikedi Ohakim was spending about N125million monthly to keep the capital city clean by organising monthly sanitation exercise.

But the Okorocha-led administration stopped the exercise and reduced it to N70million and has not been able to achieve much in terms of keeping the city clean.

According to our findings, most of the individuals who got the contract of refuse disposal in the state, lacked the capacity and experience to do the job, and as a result, had to sublet the jobs to foreign firm who was said to have deviced a means of evacuating the refuse at their convenience. Thus, instead of daily evacuation of the refuse, the contractors now allow the dumpsites to heavily overflow to the roads and the streets two weeks before coming to evacuate them.

However, ENTRACO officials who pleaded anonymity accused Governor Okorocha of being the architect of the whole problem.

According to them, because of the amount involved, the governor decided to sideline ENTRACO officials and awarded the job to his relatives who, as it were, had messed up the job.

‘It is very painful to recall that during Ohakim’s era, we were fully involved in supervising the daily evacuation of refuse in Owerri, Orlu and Okigwe and we never failed. But these days, job seekers bypass ENTRACO to secure the contracts only to hire tippers and waste disposal equipment at day pay in order to maximise profits’, said of the Entraco officials.

They appealed to journalists to inform the governor to address the situation before a major outbreak of epidemic which is looming within the state capital.

All efforts made to reach the general manager of ENTRACO, Mr. Henry Ike proved abortive as calls and sms put through to his gsm line were not responded to

http://www.spyghana.com/epidemic-looms-in-imo-as-heaps-of-refuse-litter-streets-markets/
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by jammani(m): 2:34pm On Aug 12, 2013
www.First2.com

Finally, **i tot 1st tu comment pple hav 2 heads**

Anybody can be in dis my position, bt yu hav tu b hardworking nd disciplined.

7 Likes

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by canalily(m): 2:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
We need gud breeze
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by mikeywise(m): 2:36pm On Aug 12, 2013
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by Fitzy4real(m): 2:36pm On Aug 12, 2013
I dunno why Imo state has been cursed with one bad governor after another.
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 12, 2013
ABEG WHO SABI ASHAWO JOINT FOR IYANA IPAJA?? THIS KONJI WAN KEE ME AND I NO WAN R.A.PE MAKE ANGRY MOB NO BURN ME ABEG WHO SABI ASHAWO JOINT FOR IYANA IPAJA?? THIS KONJI WAN KEE ME AND I NO WAN R.A.PE MAKE ANGRY MOB NO BURN ME
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 12, 2013
imo kwenu
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 12, 2013
Kayusfity: ABEG WHO SABI ASHAWO JOINT FOR IYANA IPAJA?? THIS KONJI WAN KEE ME AND I NO WAN R.A.PE MAKE ANGRY MOB NO BURN ME ABEG WHO SABI ASHAWO JOINT FOR IYANA IPAJA?? THIS KONJI WAN KEE ME AND I NO WAN R.A.PE MAKE ANGRY MOB NO BURN ME
go marry now. useless someborry cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by alphaconde(m): 2:39pm On Aug 12, 2013
To remove refuse and build big big buildings, which one is easier?

2 Likes

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by BabaEleko(m): 2:40pm On Aug 12, 2013
Awon oloorun buruku.

4 Likes

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by YoshiMaster: 2:40pm On Aug 12, 2013
I feel right at home here.

1 Like

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by francis4real(m): 2:41pm On Aug 12, 2013
Okorocha u are falling my hand ooo

1 Like

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by tspun(m): 2:43pm On Aug 12, 2013
not just in owerri but in almost all the capital city i had been to.
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by Bobby4090: 2:44pm On Aug 12, 2013
Thats one of the dividends of switching to APC...to make Owerri as dirty as Lagos.

4 Likes

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by ebamma(m): 2:46pm On Aug 12, 2013
Kayusfity: ABEG WHO SABI ASHAWO JOINT FOR IYANA IPAJA?? THIS KONJI WAN KEE ME AND I NO WAN R.A.PE MAKE ANGRY MOB NO BURN ME ABEG WHO SABI ASHAWO JOINT FOR IYANA IPAJA?? THIS KONJI WAN KEE ME AND I NO WAN R.A.PE MAKE ANGRY MOB NO BURN ME
abeg if una help am finish make una help me too, abeg were i fit buy garri for agege

4 Likes

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by ejifranks(m): 2:47pm On Aug 12, 2013
It is True yesss it is true....My darling Imo state has turned to a waste dump....yes it is true

2 Likes

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by ebamma(m): 2:47pm On Aug 12, 2013
Bobby4090: Thats one of the dividends of switching to APC...to make Owerri as dirty as Lagos.
so much for being a paid laptop
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by slimghost(m): 2:47pm On Aug 12, 2013
This cannot be true. Imo is the cleanest place i have ever been and Okorocha is the best next thing after jenkins chewing gum. Abagworo, please come and tell them so. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by Nwaoguta(m): 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2013
Okorocha too dirty.
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by YoshiMaster: 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
I feel right at home here.

Mee Too!

2 Likes

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by redsun(m): 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2013
Moral decadence and the height of man's irresponsibilities.
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by owolabifunke14(f): 2:49pm On Aug 12, 2013
Bobby4090: Thats one of the dividends of switching to APC...to make Owerri as dirty as Lagos.
Funny post, but it seems you breath with your joystick
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by Yorubest: 2:51pm On Aug 12, 2013
Maybe now that he's in the APC, he will be 'broomed' on how to keep a state clean

That doesn't or won't stop us from relocating his indigent citizens though

1 Like

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by kalushaiyke(m): 2:53pm On Aug 12, 2013
And all this while I have been hyping this rochas okorocha dude...not anymore angry

1 Like

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by dareyking(m): 2:55pm On Aug 12, 2013
Did i jst mke fp PAGE?? Oooooh!!...Am so happy...by the way na whr i fit buy Magani Bura Tashi i have an important surgery to perform...
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:55pm On Aug 12, 2013
Epidemic is realy looming!
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
At least Abia governor is trying when it comes to waste disposal management. Up T.A.
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by scientology(m): 2:57pm On Aug 12, 2013
rochas was so rich that he forgot to build toilets and thrashbin
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by miiraaj: 2:57pm On Aug 12, 2013

Make you buy sheep keep for ur backyard. Its not expensive.

2 Likes

Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by MAYOWAAK: 2:57pm On Aug 12, 2013
Nigeria is dirty.Period
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 12, 2013
Look at what fashola caused now
Re: Epidemic Looms In Imo As Heaps Of Refuse Litter Streets by redsun(m): 2:58pm On Aug 12, 2013
This is what nigeria is known for,it is not just aba.Nigerians everywhere in the country find it normal living in filths like pigs.When you think people living in slums like orile,oshodi,ajegunleikotu,portharcort,kano,you get goose pimples.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ex-Delta Governor, Chief James Ibori Mourns Akeredolu, Na'abba / Why my town Ikire,Irewole Local Gov. people 'll Vote Aregbesola For 2nd Term. / Anioma Land Is Not Part Of Niger Delta Republic By Nwanyiogwashi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.