Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! (1214 Views)

Barack Obama's Presidency In Fascinating Photos By Pete Souza. / ‘yes Means Yes” The New Sex Law Of California / US To Set Up Military Base In Niger, Drones / Aircrafts Within Range Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! by ayanfe(m): 9:48pm On Jun 03, 2008
Africa: Yar'Adua Explains Stand on Africom

allAfrica.com

allAfrica.com

3 June 2008
Posted to the web 3 June 2008

Cape Town

President Umaru Yar'Adua reiterated in South Africa Tuesday that he had asked the United States to give military assistance to groupings of African nations, but that he had "never, even discussed the possibility" of Nigeria hosting the new US. Africa Command (Africom).

Responding to a question at a news conference in Cape Town, Yar'Adua said Nigeria's position on Africom had been subject to "a lot of misinformation, [and] confusion" since he met President George W. Bush in Washington DC last December.

He said he had asked Bush to help the African Union establish its planned "Africa Standby Force" (ASF), to be used for peacekeeping, and to assist West African nations to set up a "Gulf of Guinea Guard Force" to secure their maritime security.

He had asked for training, equipment and logistics, he said. Now that the US. had established a separate military command for Africa, military aid would come through that command, but there was no question of Nigeria hosting it.

"People need to realise, the Africa Command is not to do with African nations agreeing to anything," Yar'Adua said. "It is a defense policy of the Defense Department of the United States."
Re: No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! by darfur(m): 9:51pm On Jun 03, 2008
thank God
Re: No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! by Xiomarra: 10:15pm On Jun 03, 2008
ayanfe:

Africa: Yar'Adua Explains Stand on Africom

allAfrica.com

allAfrica.com

3 June 2008
Posted to the web 3 June 2008

Cape Town

President Umaru Yar'Adua reiterated in South Africa Tuesday that he had asked the United States to give military assistance to groupings of African nations,

but that he had[b] "never, even discussed the possibility"[/b] of Nigeria hosting the new US. Africa Command (Africom).[/b]

[size=15pt]BUT[/size]

He said he had asked Bush to help the African Union establish its planned "Africa Standby Force" (ASF),

[size=15pt]to be used for peacekeeping, and to assist West African nations to set up a "Gulf of Guinea Guard Force" to secure their maritime security.[/size]

He had asked for training, equipment and logistics, he said. Now that the US. had established a separate military command for Africa, military aid would come through that command, [size=15pt]but there was no question of Nigeria hosting it.[/size]

[size=15pt]HOW?[/size] undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Once a dunce, always a Yaradunce.

Imagine that this mugu of a president does not realize that asking the US for "ANYTHING" is equivalent to a "greek or indian gift"!

This your idiotic president does not realize that all he is asking of George Bush is a military base in other words.

How do you get all this help without setting up the so called "logistics" centers in Africa?  Is the help obtainable from "google" or "Wikepidia"?

What a dunce! The US had established a "separate military command for Africa" indeed! cheesy

BTW, where is the link to this miserable write up? undecided Only idiotic Nigerians will always fail to read between the lines since their brains are filled with 7-day leftover eba and okro soup.
Re: No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! by Kobojunkie: 10:55pm On Jun 03, 2008
I knew I read this right. I mean, I remember this was the case late last year when Yar adua rejected the plan so what changed since then @Poster, thank you.

Nigeria was never one of the countries to host it as there was already a team in Uganda and then in guinea. I have been searching all nairaland for that thread.
Re: No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! by ayanfe(m): 3:57am On Jun 04, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I knew I read this right. I mean, I remember this was the case late last year when Yar adua rejected the plan so what changed since then @Poster, thank you.

Nigeria was never one of the countries to host it as there was already a team in Uganda and then in guinea. I have been searching all nairaland for that thread.

Get out of here. You were the same person debating folks for not wanting to accept the base in Nigeria. Listen up foreigner. The base stays in Germany.

US Africa Command to remain in Stuttgart, newspaper says
Posted : Tue, 03 Jun 2008 18:52:02 GMT
Author : DPA

Stuttgart - Africom, the new US military command for operations in Africa, is to remain in the German city of Stuttgart after no African nation offered to host it, a German newspaper was set to report Wednesday. US President George W. Bush announced the formation of the command in February 2007, saying it would coordinate all US military activity in Africa and be based in Africa. It is set to become fully operational from October this year

Vince Crawley, Africom spokesman, was quoted by the Stuttgarter Zeitung as saying, "It'll stay in Stuttgart for the foreseeable future." Africom is being split off from the US European Command (Eucom), also hosted by Stuttgart.
Re: No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! by ayanfe(m): 3:59am On Jun 04, 2008
Xiomarra:

Once a dunce, always a Yaradunce.

Imagine that this mugu of a president does not realize that asking the US for "ANYTHING" is equivalent to a "greek or indian gift"!

This your idiotic president does not realize that all he is asking of George Bush is a military base in other words.

How do you get all this help without setting up the so called "logistics" centers in Africa? Is the help obtainable from "google" or "Wikepidia"?

What a dunce! The US had established a "separate military command for Africa" indeed! cheesy

BTW, where is the link to this miserable write up? undecided Only idiotic Nigerians will always fail to read between the lines since their brains are filled with 7-day leftover eba and okro soup.

I don't think you are familiar with the concept of an African Standby Force. You are an ignoramus trying to stretch the limits of your lack of knowledge to come to conclusions that are not factual.
Re: No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! by Kobojunkie: 4:02am On Jun 04, 2008
I am sorry is my debate offends you but I debated what the article had on it. Is that wrong?? There is no way for me to verify that Yar adua did not hammer out a deal with the US to have a base in exchange for some other things.

But anywho, glad someone posted something on this cause I was beginning to loose my fingers searching for articles I read last december on AFRICOM and US presence in Uganda.
Re: No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! by Spermdrops(m): 4:36am On Jun 04, 2008
ayanfe:

I don't think you are familiar with the concept of an African Standby Force. You are an ignoramus trying to stretch the limits of your lack of knowledge to come to conclusions that are not factual.

African Standby Force propagated by Americans!  You are a bloody joke! Please tell your Yaradua to stop bothering George Bush unnecessarily. Bush has better things to do than organize useless Kangaroo standby forces with illiterates!

[size=15pt]Get off the net you ugly fat, deek-headed dope!!!! [/size]

With your useless thread! Gosh, Nairaland is truly dead!
Re: No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! by TCUBE(m): 5:52am On Aug 14, 2008
Good, we dont want any stupid base, thats when this osama people will start focusing on naija,
Re: No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! by TPS360: 6:09am On Aug 14, 2008
I hope the government of nigeria doesnt sucome to the pressure of the american government, america as too many enemies to allow for a military base in nigeria,  Just do not want to picture what will happen if osama focuses on naija,
Re: No USA Barack Or Base In Nigeria! Yes! by AMUOMON(m): 8:25am On Nov 05, 2008
all i have to say obama is already a president,my own is no no no.

(1) (Reply)

5 Somali Pirates Drown With Ransom Share / Obama Calls Kanye West A 'jackass'! / Nelson Mandela Of South Africa Is Dead?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.