Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,412 members, 7,800,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

New Plate Number And Driver's License - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Plate Number And Driver's License (33933 Views)

Check Out This Weird Plate Number / New Plate Number: How Much In Lagos? / LASTMA Fighting Passengers And Driver At Obanikoro Bus-stop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by wheesin(m): 2:52pm On Aug 12, 2013
I dont own a car i own a canoe and i am sad because plate numbers weren't introduced for us.... UP CANOE DRIVERS?
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by talktrue1(m): 2:52pm On Aug 12, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

Where as when someone I know who was selling his car in the U.S, simply sold it with the license plate, signed the title and reported the car sold to the appropriate authorities.

The new owner had to do a change or ownership, and registered the vehicle in his name.

I believe that's why we do change of ownership whenever you purchase a used vehicle from someone so that the ownership will be transferred to you. Moreover, if a search is done based on the number plate, it will show the particulars of people who have used the vehicle before it gets to the owner.
It will also help to eliminate buying of stolen vehicle because the details are clear in the database
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by RichDad1(m): 2:53pm On Aug 12, 2013
danherb: I am looking at the situation where the first party wants to sale a car that has the number inscribed all over the body of the car. When the 2nd party who now buys the car has a new plate number different from the one inscribed on the car. Please how can we reconcile this problem of having a plate number different from the one inscribed on the body car by the 1st party?
You just spoke my mind. FRSC over to you.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by ofiladee(m): 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
My aunt renewed hers since january, and till date she has not seen the new driver's license. With a cost of almost ten thousand naira and all the stress... I wonder. As for the new number plates, its just a money making venture. Let's see how safe our cars will be after that. May God help us.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by ReiManniE(m): 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2013
I just need a single tenure to rule dis nation and bliv u, me..ama gonna put a smile on all nigerians face...

Btw..lol

If am not sleeping, dis so called policy would milk some pockets..I nor mention names oo
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by begwong: 2:57pm On Aug 12, 2013
eagle,eye:
Thought one can contimue with the old drivers licence untill it expires and you will then renew with the new one.....?
Anyway, am going to ask my neighbour who works for FRSC.
That is what it shd be...
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by double08(m): 2:58pm On Aug 12, 2013
First thing first, does our Nigerian police or FRSC have patrol cars that have computers installed in their cars to check a specific car details when its pulled over?Or they will change those rickety hilux I always see them with?

when you attach on someones name to the plate number and not the car one can use 1 plate number for two cars and the auto thieves are gonna have a field day with stealing cars and replacing the numbers with theirs at that very moment the car is theirs.

One thing we like doing in Nigerian is long jump,we did it in telecommunication by jumping over landlines to mobile phones thats why most organisations dont use landlines but mobile number,we dont even have a phone directory anymore where you can even look up a number talkless of calling a phone operator to connect you to a certain number or area code.

Lets see how it will pan out because once Sept 30 comes you wont even see the new plate number to buy and the amount to get it will skyrocket so also the DL stuff. God help this country

2 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Nkanuzu: 2:59pm On Aug 12, 2013
OP! Please cross check your facts before publishing. Going through your source (Punch Newspaper)nothing was said or written about the deadline for the new driver's license. The FRSC and enlightened Nigerians know that in making laws/regulations there must be saving provisions to take care of acts done prior to the new law. FRSC will not compel a person to change his driver's license (lawfully issued) before its expiration. Therefore, the new driver's license applies to renewals, replacements and fresh Driver's License only.

1 Like

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:02pm On Aug 12, 2013
danherb: I am looking at the situation where the first party wants to sale a car that has the number inscribed all over the body of the car. When the 2nd party who now buys the car has a new plate number different from the one inscribed on the car. Please how can we reconcile this problem of having a plate number different from the one inscribed on the body car by the 1st party?

Gbagaun.........obviously, you dont own a bicycle and you are here mentioning sales of car
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by B1ngo: 3:04pm On Aug 12, 2013
Osita Chidoka is just another rogue opportunist who wants to steal his own billions before his term expires.The new licensing and plate no are just geared towards satisfying their greed.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by harrison1234(m): 3:07pm On Aug 12, 2013
talk true:

Pls ask and let us know his view
I do work wt FRSC it has been said by d corps marshal dt its dead line is sept ending as for ur plate num knw dt anytime u get a new car jst go to our office nd renew ur details dts all cos many ppl v car bt dia plate num is not dia own nd d don't knw wat is calld renewing at all dia by promoting crime nd it ends up to b untraceable bt wt d new licence nd plate num one can b traced to his haus
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by OgaTheTop2: 3:09pm On Aug 12, 2013
But why can't we just stick to the old numbering system (like 'WUD55L' on my pops never die VW Ijapa grin). Must we fork out new numbering system every 4-5 years

Please we need fresh air from this license plate and driver's permit, haba!! Thieves.. sad angry
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Nobody: 3:18pm On Aug 12, 2013
About the driver license, if your old drivers license is still valid, what you have to do is to go to any govt licesing agent for renewal to the new one. Thats what I heard.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by talktrue1(m): 3:21pm On Aug 12, 2013
Nkanuzu: OP! Please cross check your facts before publishing. Going through your source (Punch Newspaper)nothing was said or written about the deadline for the new driver's license. The FRSC and enlightened Nigerians know that in making laws/regulations there must be a saving provisions to take care of acts done prior to the new law. FRSC will not compel a person to change his driver's license (lawfully issued) before its expiration. Therefore, the new driver's license applies to renewals, replacements and fresh Driver's License only.

The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) said on Wednesday that the old number plates and the old driver’s licence would expire by Sept. 31
http://leadership.ng/news/120613/old-number-plates-drivers-licence-expire-sept-31-says-frsc
http://news.naij.com/37704.html

1 Like

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by onyxo76(m): 3:24pm On Aug 12, 2013
i just changed to the new plate number last week after coughing out almost 30k, like most people here have said, if you are selling the car, then whoever is buying must go get his own plates or has to keep renewing the particulars in your name which is quite dangerous especially if the fellow decides to use the car for a crime.
As regards the old number inscribed on the car and a new plate number in place,there is a place on the new proof of ownership and allocation of new plate number documents stating both the old and new plate number details,so no policeman can harass you.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by mnx4real(m): 3:27pm On Aug 12, 2013
It is a good idea. But you know that the problem with Nigerian policies is lack of thorough study and implementation. The frsc should do this right
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by ugotuf(m): 3:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
Mr Aboki:

the Plates serves as an Identifier to the owner of a vehicle. Remember, a vehicle cannot commit a crime, its the owner or the driver that is held liable for whatever offences that is commited with a car.
So you are trying to tell us here that a plate number should not be tied to the vehicle and its owner but only to the owner, so that when your vehicle is stolen and the culprit affixes his own plate number on the stolen ride, your vehicle automatically becomes his?
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by unite4real: 3:38pm On Aug 12, 2013
talk true:

The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) said on Wednesday that the old number plates and the old driver’s licence would expire by Sept. 31
http://leadership.ng/news/120613/old-number-plates-drivers-licence-expire-sept-31-says-frsc

I didn't know there are 31 days in September

1 Like

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Almeida: 3:48pm On Aug 12, 2013

Change the body as well.. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by AroOkigbo(m): 3:49pm On Aug 12, 2013
yuzedo: Tenk God is pravate jet i drives to my alaba bizness Sweetus & Sons but no daugthers Limited aka d eagle have landed ventures! angry angry undecided
Yuzedo, are you still LEAVING in Banana ICELAND? How are your billionaire NEBOURS- Adenuga et al?
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Mystery11(m): 3:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
harrison1234: I do work wt FRSC it has been said by d corps marshal dt its dead line is sept ending as for ur plate num knw dt anytime u get a new car jst go to our office nd renew ur details dts all cos many ppl v car bt dia plate num is not dia own nd d don't knw wat is calld renewing at all dia by promoting crime nd it ends up to b untraceable bt wt d new licence nd plate num one can b traced to his haus

How can one replace a Lagos number while staying outside Lagos

Thanks.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 12, 2013
talk true: The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) said that the old number plates and the old driver’s licence would expire by Sept. 30, 2013.
The commission said, “By October 1, 2013, it will be an offence for any owner or operator of a vehicle to still have affixed, old number plates on his/her vehicle as the deadline for the use of old plates is September 30, 2013.
When the new plates were introduced last year, the Corps Marshal and Chief Executive Officer, FRSC, Mr. Osita Chidoka, had explained that it was to ensure the safety and security of Nigerians and that the new plates were intended to tie a number plate to an individual or organisation. “Before, it was possible for you to sell your car with your number plate; but nowadays, number plates are registered in the name of the owner”
http://www.punchng.com/news/old-number-plates-invalid-by-sept-30-2013/

My view on the plate numbers:
The policy of attaching number plate to an individual is not the best. Plate number should be tied to a vehicle just like the Chassis number.
I am looking at a scenario where a police man stops a vehicle. The officer in the car will immediately key in the plate number of the vehicle in any database equipment on him, and the details of that car and the owner will appear. They can now approach the driver for confirmation and then, off you go.
But if a plate number is attached to an individual, maybe I registered my Toyota corolla and later sold it to buy a Honda jeep and I will then transfer the plate number to the jeep. When a police man stops me, the details of the number on the jeep will be for the Toyota corolla.
Unless they expect us to throw away the plate number of the car being sold and obtain another one for the newly purchased car which means that you will start seeing plate numbers in the dust bin.

On the issue of driver’s license:
Every driver’s license expires after 4 years. If the corps marshal introduces a new driver’s license, all he need to do is to give a space of 4 yrs from the date they started producing the new one. Anybody that comes for renewal or new one will get the new driver’s license and after 4 years which you know everybody must have renewed their own thereby getting the required one, you can now enforce it. But the problem is that the corps marshal wants to make money in his own time as he introduced it by giving only 1 year. The transformation in aviation industry today started when Kema chikwe was there. That of telecoms also started even before Obj became president but was completed during his tenure, and so many others. If he is not interested in the money, he should consider people whose driver’s license are still valid and will expire next year.

Whats your opinion?

How come nobody is talking about the price for the new number plates and the new licenses.... why will i spend 32,000 for a renewal of number plates.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Dogzimalon: 4:16pm On Aug 12, 2013
I like both policies it will work well.hurry and do yours
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by Nkanuzu: 4:24pm On Aug 12, 2013
talk true:

Oga, there is no official statement from FRSC that an existing Driver's License will become invalid before the its official expiration date. Obtaining new driver's license applies only to fresh issue, renewal or replacement. The credibility of the source of your information is in issue as well as the credibility of the person (U) using same to deceive the public. Imagine the month of September having 31 days!
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by mickijoe: 4:30pm On Aug 12, 2013
is not just FRSC that is involved in this, VIO is included. Well by sept we will no government and masses who wins the game.. Shame on 9ija
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by talktrue1(m): 5:22pm On Aug 12, 2013
Nkanuzu: Oga, there is no official statement from FRSC that an existing Driver's License will become invalid before the its official expiration date. Obtaining new driver's license applies only to fresh issue, renewal or replacement. The credibility of the source of your information is in issue as well as the credibility of the person (U) using same to deceive the public. Imagine the month of September having 31 days!

can you explain to me what they mean by old driver’s licence would expire on Sept. and By October 1, 2013, it will be an offence for any owner or operator of a vehicle to still have affixed, old number plates on his/her vehicle ? and do you mean I should relax if my driver's license will expire by December 2014? I need clarification
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by taharqa: 5:26pm On Aug 12, 2013
Siga: ....I believe the owner and the car details should be attached to every plates.... if and when u change ur car... it should be updated accordingly....
You, Sir hv a functioning brain....
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by ngooka: 5:32pm On Aug 12, 2013
I was in there office at enugu today to renew my license and the girl at the counter tell me that there is no light to print out data form for me to fill, but letter collected my data in a piece of paper and 9k to do it for me when light is available, I saw people that there own have been up till six month and they not gotten the new one there temporary one has expired and they where in the office making noise that they most go with there licence today. When next am there I will try to take pictures.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by finni(m): 5:32pm On Aug 12, 2013
My opinion is that there can never be a perfect policy. The plate number will help to checkmate some security problems as regard to vehicles owner. The process of getting the new driver license is too tedious.

To get new plate number and some other vehicle registration, visit this topic: https://www.nairaland.com/1359964/register-license-new-tokunbo-vehicle
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by baaliyah(m): 5:33pm On Aug 12, 2013
The problem is timing and cost.
If my papers and driver's licence are still valid why should I stop using them.
To renew an expired papers u spend about 8500. To exchange an old plate with the new one N30000.That means the new plates alone without papers is more than 20000. This no plate should be at most 2000, and should be done when your current papers expire. Then there wont be pressure and people wil not complain. It s up to national assembly to stop this nonsense.
Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by seangy4konji: 5:41pm On Aug 12, 2013
How has your own contribution helped any sane naija person also...
FOLYKAZE:

Gbagaun.........obviously, you dont own a bicycle and you are here mentioning sales of car

2 Likes

Re: New Plate Number And Driver's License by chucky234(m): 5:42pm On Aug 12, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
I don't understand this license plate thing.

Shouldn't a license plate be registered to a Person AND Vehicle?

Why does it have to be one or the other?

A license plate data pull from a database should give you the owners name and the car registered, what am I missing here?
You are missing the naija angle where everything is a documented joke.
lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Experience "Ringing" An Engine / Someone Just Paid ₦17.5 Billion For This 56 Year-old Ferrari 250 GTO / t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.