Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

Scholarships:who's It Really Meant For? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Scholarships:who's It Really Meant For? (633 Views)

Education Is meant for those who can afford it(picture) / PTDF Gives Scholarships To 60 Nigerian Undergraduates In Norwegian University / Meant For Only Genius! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scholarships:who's It Really Meant For? by ShehuAba(m): 11:13am On Aug 12, 2013
Scholarship as defined by the advanced learner's dictionary is:
An amount of money given by a school,college,university or other organizations to pay for the studies of a person with great ability but little money.
Going by this definition and looking at it from a humanly point of view, i dare to ask some sincere Questions:
1. What's the real motive of applying for a scholarship? Is't for the Money?, Prestige?, Experience?. E.T.C
2. If Scholarship is really meant to help poor brilliant students. Is't really getting to them.
From my own point of view, Scholarships or rather its application for it by many students In Nigeria is for the MONEY.
Then if it's for this sole reason, why don't the RICH leave this for those who really need it.
I don't see a reason why someone who can affordably pay his children's tuition plus other expenses struggle with those who can't even afford to for MTN SCHOLARSHIPS, NLNG, SHELL, GANI FAWENHIMI e.t.c without having that human piety in them.
I don't see a reason why someone who can affordably send his children to private universities struggle with someone who has to travel all the way from his/her village just to sit for a scholarship test.
This's where we find ourselves today in this country, instead of these SO CALLED RICH to sponsor the brilliant poor ones in their respective villages to get to the peak of the career, yet they struggle with them to get these scholarships for their children.
Where has human Piety gone? Why are they so mean? Do they just think that these scholarships shouldn't be given to the POOR alone since the RICH also cry?
Questions, Questions, Questions on my mind as i seek to know those whom these schorlaships are really meant for.

Over to you NAIRALANDERS.
Re: Scholarships:who's It Really Meant For? by uceee(m): 12:11pm On Aug 12, 2013
Scholarships as you defined it are meant for brilliant people who are unable to comfortably afford their education. Unfortunately, as youths and human beings, we are hungry for money. So we will exploit any avenue to get money, especially a legal one like scholarships. In this day and age, a young guy can never have too much money.
Re: Scholarships:who's It Really Meant For? by ShehuAba(m): 1:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
Well, i didn't define scholarship but the Dictionary did.
Well, your point is one of those things causing it.
Am not against any1 applying 4 scholarship but am just been inquisitive i.e most of those applying for it especially THE RICH is't really meant for them.
Re: Scholarships:who's It Really Meant For? by OMOSOFEF: 2:20pm On Aug 12, 2013
Every one can access scholarship. Regardless of your economic state check

www.realscholarship.com
Re: Scholarships:who's It Really Meant For? by ShehuAba(m): 8:36pm On Aug 12, 2013
OMOSOFE F: Every one can access scholarship. Regardless of your economic state check

www.realscholarship.com

Sir, am sorry i never said that, it seems you getting me all wrong and besides you never stated reasons for your conclusion.
Re: Scholarships:who's It Really Meant For? by KELVIN086: 12:47am On Sep 20, 2014
bros shehuaba not every one that goes to a private university is rich , some parents struggle to pay the fees just because they want the very best for their wards, while some students are being sponsored by their communities,church e.t.c that is why scholarships are always open for everyone.
Re: Scholarships:who's It Really Meant For? by HouseOfBalloons(f): 4:46am On Sep 20, 2014
Getting a scholarship isn't only about the money. It improves your cv
Re: Scholarships:who's It Really Meant For? by ShehuAba(m): 7:11am On Sep 20, 2014
KELVIN086: bros shehuaba not every one that goes to a private university is rich , some parents struggle to pay the fees just because they want the very best for their wards, while some students are being sponsored by their communities,church e.t.c that is why scholarships are always open for everyone.

seems you didn't get what am trying to insinuate that even some rich who are comfortable still try to struggle to get the scholarships.
Re: Scholarships:who's It Really Meant For? by ShehuAba(m): 7:12am On Sep 20, 2014
HouseOfBalloons: Getting a scholarship isn't only about the money. It improves your cv

I know it does, but I stated clearly that most Nigerians do so, just to get some cash.

(1) (Reply)

NECO Releases 2013 May/june SSCE Results / Niger Poly 2013/2014 Post Utme Form Sale Is Out / Education Meltdown in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.