Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,490 members, 7,781,469 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:56 PM

The 25 Companies That Give The Most Difficult Job Interviews -forbes - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The 25 Companies That Give The Most Difficult Job Interviews -forbes (4230 Views)

Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs / Technical & Brain Teaser Questions Asked During Job Interviews / Career Websites Of The 25 Banks In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 25 Companies That Give The Most Difficult Job Interviews -forbes by howardriddle: 3:04am On Aug 13, 2013

The job interview process tends to be nerve-racking and frustrating for many of us–but if you’re trying to get hired by Bain, Google, or Facebook, it can be evenmorestrenuous.

Imagine having to complete written tests, answer questions like, “How would you build an engine from scratch?” or interview with close to a dozen different people at one firm.

Terrifying, right? Well those are just some of the difficult things candidates have to do to land a job, according to Glassdoor.com, a jobs and career website where people share information and opinions about companies, interviews, compensation, and leadership.

Glassdoor just released its 2013 list of the Top 25 Most Difficult Companies to Interview, based entirely on experiences from recent job candidates. The website dug through more than 170,000 interview ratings and reviews shared throughout the past year to uncover the list.

According to reviews on the Glassdoor site, the company with the toughest interview process for a second consecutive year is the prestigious consulting firm McKinsey & Company. The average interview difficulty rating is 3.9 out of 5. However, 77% of interviewees said they had a positive experience—despite the difficulty—while 12% reported it was negative.

What makes interviews at McKinsey & Company so hard?

Management consultant candidates, for instance, are asked to work through and solve a business case. “In this situation McKinsey is looking to see how candidates organize their thoughts and process them to find a solution,” says Samantha Zupan, a spokesperson for Glassdoor.
A candidate in Chicago said that while he met very interesting and capable people along the way, the interview process itself was” grueling.” “Training for case studies in parallel to a full time executive job is not easy – but also very motivating.” A business analysis candidate said the firm asked the following question:“How would you calculate the annual carbon emissions from electric versus gas vehicles in Africa?”

Going through a tough interview process may be off-putting—but it could be worth it, too. Overall, McKinsey earned an average employee satisfaction rating of 4.3 out of 5 from its workers.

“If an employer has a clear, well defined interview process that seeks to set expectations about what the job involves, as well as looks to get to know the candidate, where their interests lie and how they can help move the company forward, it’s a natural correlation to see higher employee satisfaction rates given that candidates will have a clearer idea as to what the job entails and where the company is headed,” Zupan says.

In the No. 2 and No. 3 spots are ThoughtWorks and Boston Consulting Group. Recent job candidates gave these two companies interview difficulty ratings of 3.9 and 3.8, respectively. The vast majority (73%) reported a positive experience and 14% a negative oneat ThoughtWorks, a software design and delivery firm that employs 2,000 people in 28 offices around the world. Seventy-four percent reported a positive experience interviewing at consulting firm BCG; 12% said it was negative.

A software engineer candidate at ThoughtWorks was asked to tell a story of which the title is “Green Hat.”

Another candidate said the hiring process is “really thorough.” “Even for an operational role I had seven interviews,” she wrote. “While this is exhausting it’s also really helpful because I got to meet lots of people I would be working with, and ask questions – and get really honest answers. It seems to be as much about whether you want to work there, as whether they wantyou.”

Boston Consulting candidates also have to jump through hoops to land a job. A candidate there suggests you brush up on basic math before an interview at BCG, “especially multiplication and division, and practice in front of someone as it simulates the pressure you’ll have. It seems like even asimple math error can doom you, so practice.”

A Boston Consulting Group candidate in Philadelphia was asked: “If I took your resume and removed the name at the top, what line on your resume would make your friends read it and recognize you?”
Zupan says, “Often challenging and difficult interviews along with seemingly oddball interview questions can be an effective way to see how candidates think and provide an opportunity to get to know the candidate better. When you have to think on your toes in a stressful situation like a job interview, it can help showcase how you think through problems when the pressure is on.”

Big names like Google, P&G, Microsoft, and Facebook also rank among the top 25.

Zupan says if you’re nervous about the interview, plan ahead and practice how you would handle the various scenarios you think you may encounter during the interview process.

“Before an interview every candidate should be prepared to ask questions, do research about the company and the job, and think through responses to a range of interview questions, from common ones like‘Where do you see yourself in five years?’ to oddball questions like ‘How many ping-pong balls fit inside a 747?.’ The more due diligence a candidate does ahead of time, the better prepared he or she will feel for the interview.”

For example, if you have an opportunity to speak to a recruiter or hiring manager on the phone before you walk into an in-person interview, ask them who you’ll be meeting with, how long you should plan to be there, what the interview setup will be like, and so on, she suggests.

Here’s Glassdoor’s list of the 25 Companies That Give the Toughest Job Interviews:
1. McKinsey & Company
2. ThoughtWorks
3. The Boston Consulting Group
4. Gartner
5. Bain & Company
6. Rolls Royce
7. ZS Associates
8. Google
9. Stryker
10. HubSpot
11. Paycom
12. Vistaprint
13. Teach For America
14. Procter & Gamble
15. Avaya
16. Microsoft
17. BlackRock
18. Sapient
19. Citrix
20. Nvidia
21. Informatica
22. Facebook
23. Guidewire
24. Caterpillar
25. Rackspace

Pls Note: This is a Global List and is reflective in Numerous Contries as most companies specified here are multi-nationals.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/08/09/the-25-companies-that-give-the-most-difficult-job-interviews/

To Land a Job: [url=yolpe.com/join.php] Visit Here[/url]

To Get Better Employees [url=yolpe.com/index.php] Click Me[/url]

1 Like

Re: The 25 Companies That Give The Most Difficult Job Interviews -forbes by azpekuliar: 8:16am On Aug 13, 2013
Nice info.
Re: The 25 Companies That Give The Most Difficult Job Interviews -forbes by yuzedo: 8:38am On Aug 13, 2013
d last company am working four, baba dudu & son limmited have d most harder inteveiw question ever. dey ask me dat slap native doctor or army general chose one. angry i gave up!!!! embarassed undecided

7 Likes

Re: The 25 Companies That Give The Most Difficult Job Interviews -forbes by Nomski0(f): 9:02am On Aug 13, 2013
Hmmm.......i hope i can experience the interviews in these companies one day.
Re: The 25 Companies That Give The Most Difficult Job Interviews -forbes by sweettease(f): 9:18am On Aug 13, 2013
yuzedo: d last company am working four, baba dudu & son limmited have d most harder inteveiw question ever. dey ask me dat slap native doctor or army general chose one. angry i gave up!!!! embarassed undecided
ROFLMAO hope you chose the army general so that it can at least make the police your friend grin

1 Like

Re: The 25 Companies That Give The Most Difficult Job Interviews -forbes by Iaz93: 10:09am On Aug 13, 2013
yuzedo: d last company am working four, baba dudu & son limmited have d most harder inteveiw question ever. dey ask me dat slap native doctor or army general chose one. angry i gave up!!!! embarassed undecided
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Fuvuccck you, sweetus.

1 Like

Re: The 25 Companies That Give The Most Difficult Job Interviews -forbes by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 13, 2013
26. Danjuma et Chukwuma executive gateman (D & C inc)

Interviewer: If armed robbers are approaching the house you are guarding, what would be your tactical approach? would you scream ole! ole!! or hide...?

Best answer: i go shout Fire! Fire!!
Becos, Ole! Ole!! Go make pple go hide...

1 Like

Re: The 25 Companies That Give The Most Difficult Job Interviews -forbes by kunlesehan(m): 11:58am On Aug 13, 2013
Aha. No wonder, I couldn't get a job in any of those companies.
Anyway I have commenced purchasing shares from some of them... if you can't beat them, join them ... lol

1 Like

Re: The 25 Companies That Give The Most Difficult Job Interviews -forbes by sanandreas(m): 2:50pm On Aug 13, 2013
I hope to work in one of these companies. It is hard but pple still get employed.
Re: The 25 Companies That Give The Most Difficult Job Interviews -forbes by angelTI(f): 3:39pm On Aug 13, 2013
We need the Nigerian version pls..

(1) (Reply)

British High Commission Latest Recruitment 2018 - Apply Now / Recruitment For Graduate Interns At Procter And Gamble, October 2018 / Dragnet Vs Workforce.. Which Is Easier 2 Scale Thru?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.