Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,860 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala (44716 Views)

Ignore ASUU’s Demands, NASU, NAAT, SSANU Tell FG / ASUU Strike Latest News: ASUU Demands N1.5tr To End Strike / FG Holds Crucial Talks With ASUU Today -releases N100bn To Suswam-led Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by nirmy: 6:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
Hopes of quick resolution of the present face-off between the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities were dashed on Tuesday as the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said the government has no resources to meet the union demands.

Foreclosing possible truce to the five-week old industrial action that has paralysed academic activities in the nation’s ivory towers, Okonjo-Iwela said the striking university lecturers were asking for #92 billion in extra allowances, maintaining that government lack means of picking the bill.
Speaking in Minna at the annual National Council on Finance and Economic Development meeting, the minister said that ASUU demand was coming at a time government was making efforts at reducing the structure of public expenditures.
The theme of the meeting is: “Restructuring Nigeria’s Finances.”
She said, “At present ASUU wants the government to pay N92 billion in extra allowances when resources are not there and when we are working to integrate past increases in pensions. We need to make choices in this country as we are getting to the stage where recurrent expenditures take the bulk of our resources and people get paid but can do no work.”
She declared that if the demands of the university lecturers are met and “we continue to pay them salaries and allowances we will not be able to provide infrastructure in the universities.”
The minister argued that when she assumed office “the share of recurrent expenditure in our total budgets had increased astronomically. “
“In fact recurrent expenditures accounted for about 77.2 per cent of the federal budget and we are now working to re-balance this ratio,” the minister added.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/fg-to-ASUU-we-cant-meet-your-demands/

6 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by ayodeji752: 6:37pm On Aug 13, 2013
I remember dat okonjo iweala's children attended Harvard university in US so how do u want her to find solution to dis problem? However, ASUU must come back to its senses. I tot they said they were fighting to save university ni? I didn't knw they were also fightin for their pockets, thieves

80 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by ayodeji752: 6:38pm On Aug 13, 2013
I remember dat okonjo iweala's children attended Harvard university in US so how do u want her to find solution to dis problem? However, ASUU must come back to its senses. I tot they said they were fighting to save university ni? I didn't knw they were also fightin for their pockets, greediness

2 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by bigtt76(f): 6:43pm On Aug 13, 2013
...But the FG can effectively and adequately meet the demands of the thieving senators and politicians abi? God is watching ooo!

66 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by idrisjunior(m): 6:51pm On Aug 13, 2013
dis is crap... In short, i dey go learn work...

21 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by demelza: 6:53pm On Aug 13, 2013
idrisjunior: dis is crap... In short, i dey go learn work...
So up till now you still dey dull? Thank God your eyes don open

15 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by slap1(m): 6:56pm On Aug 13, 2013
FG can't meet demands + ASUU won't shift grounds = 2014.

I've said it before, the best thing is for progressive-minded states to withdraw their schools from ASUU.

By the way, did a certain GEJ not ORDER the Ministry of Education to meet ASUU's demands? SO, WHO'S DISOBEYING A PRESIDENTIAL ORDER, ABI WHO IS TRYING TO FOOL NIGERIANS?

31 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by OniJohn: 7:01pm On Aug 13, 2013
The F.G cant meet the demands of ASUU again? i taught we heard the 'so-called' Minister of Education saying the FG is ready to release 100bn to settle ASUU, so why is this coming at this time and why didnt the ceremonial Education Minister mention this all thd while, its so clear the govt is at it again,trying to cajole us, i said it our govt wont take things serious until they are threatened, must we take to the streets again?

4 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 13, 2013
Not until a law is passed that will restrict all our leader's children from studying abroad that our education sector will come back to live

9 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Cherish20(f): 7:19pm On Aug 13, 2013
I thought i read something about FG releasing 90bn already in order to meet ASUU demand. What all these stories again? Me don tire 4 house o! I don dey even forget d names of my lecturers and coursemates

13 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Afrobasic(m): 7:22pm On Aug 13, 2013
week 7 fa.... only in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Osgilliat(m): 7:41pm On Aug 13, 2013
Restructuring finances my ass..while your entire family graduated from harvard. A bill should be passed to restrict all this politician children from schooling abroad and home base private universities, I bet they will not only throw chairs at such person but also kill him. Bunch of b.i.t.c.h.e.s. spit on thread and walk away.

13 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 13, 2013
What da Bleep...... U'all want me to believe this Sh.it about not been able to meet demands........ When the nitwit ministers and senators take home some 4cking billions of doughs on a daily bases...
I need to get the f.ck outa this shitt.y jungle. Men!

And yo! You with the adverts!!!!!! 4king get a life bro!!!!!!!

7 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Immortal1(m): 7:57pm On Aug 13, 2013
Only those that wear d shoe know where it hurts. With d children of our leaders comfortably schooling abroad, I'm not surprise d strike is still on!

5 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by idrisjunior(m): 8:06pm On Aug 13, 2013
demelza:
So up till now you still dey dull? Thank God your eyes don open
I being dey get hope bt nw i'm hopeless

2 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Sicozone(m): 8:10pm On Aug 13, 2013
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........why iz dz happening at this time.......am fed up of being home ooooo

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Sexybarbie(f): 8:22pm On Aug 13, 2013
It is well.

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Aabee(m): 8:26pm On Aug 13, 2013
Baba God. Abeg help 9ja studnts

2 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by zibi2(m): 10:09pm On Aug 13, 2013

30 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by dedons: 10:11pm On Aug 13, 2013
FRESH AIR!!!

My president is working...

See u all in 2015

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by zibi2(m): 10:13pm On Aug 13, 2013
Aabee: Baba God. Abeg help 9ja studnts
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by kingviny: 10:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
F.G, you are the manager of our national patrimony. Please demand these from ASUU:-

1. Their members should stop the selling of handouts, they should make video DVDs of their lectures to serve as a supplementary learning aids for their students.

2. Each lecturer should have a blog (with threads) like that of Nairaland for him/her to interact with his/her students with for supplementary and effective communication (online Q&A sessions).

3. Lecturers should stop seeing themselves as demi-gods but as friends and parents to students. That all sadists and bad teachers (poor teaching skills) among them should be given Jonathan's booth.

4. All exam results must come out within 2 weeks after the completion of all exams so that students can know their results on time and be able to plan better for the next semester.

5. Graduates must get their certificates on their convocation day.

6. That examination should be re-designed to evaluate student's understanding of the course (application) and not student's ability to COPY & PASTE crammed definitions. Each lecturer should prepare a synoptic summary of his/ course which should then contain all the definitions and summary of what he/she wants to teach to aid students in the mastery of his/her course.

7. Productivity Allowance should only be paid to lecturers with 70% pass rate i.e 70% of his/her students must pass (C-pass) his/her course on merit based on effective teaching. Greatness lies in simplicity. If a lecturer has not mastered his/her subject to the extent that he/she is able to effectively teach it, then he/she is not fit to be employed in the system.

IF ASUU CAN FULFILL ALL THESE 7-POINT AGENDA, F.G, PLEASE DOUBLE THEIR SALARIES. IF THEY CAN'T , F.G PLEASE REDUCE THEIR SALARIES BY 50% AND LET THE LAW OF DEMAND AND SUPPLY BRING YOU ANOTHER SET OF WORK FORCE . THEY ARE SHORT CHANGING YOU (POOR SERVICE)!

STUDENTS DESERVE THE BEST. THE 7-POINT AGENDA IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE AND ASUU DOES NOT NEED BILLIONS TO DO THE ABOVE, THEY ALREADY HAVE THE TOOLS FOR THESE WITHIN THE SYSTEM.

IF ASUU WANTS THEIR MEMBERS TO BE PAID LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD, THEN THEY SHOULD ALSO DEMAND OF THEIR MEMBERS TO WORK LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD.

ASUU, YOU CAN DO BETTER.

I MISS MY UNISA (University of South Africa), THE 7-POINT AGENDA ABOVE IS A PIECE OF CAKE TO THEM.

254 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by henryvirus(m): 10:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
Y na
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Lordave: 10:15pm On Aug 13, 2013
Deadlock
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by kekakuz(m): 10:16pm On Aug 13, 2013
all they do is just come to sell handout and see u on exam day.go to university of abuja and see for yourself how class reps collect money for lecturers togive them credit pass .
they sell handout eno reach
them sell passmark eno reach the
them sell certificate eno reach them
them sell textbook eno recach them
them sell post jamb form eno reach them
them sell diploma form no reach them
them sell pre-degree form eno reach them
them sell masters form eno reach them
them sell pgd form eno reach them
them sell phd form eo reach them
them sell direct etry form eno reach them
them collect sch fee damage
computefee nternet fee
e acceptance fee
diploma fee
government grant
ptf fund
internatonal support fund
hostel fee
regulrization fee
exam fee
course registration
library fee
haba asuuuuuu oleeee

67 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by rubii09: 10:16pm On Aug 13, 2013
thank God

1 Like

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by PECO4KING(m): 10:17pm On Aug 13, 2013
zibi2:

Non of the above.
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 13, 2013
now the lecturers want an Increase in salaries.. i thought they said the major reasons they were on strike was because of the infrastructural decay in Nigerian Universities.. smh! you what, i keep telling people around me that every Nigerian holding a public office is just there for him or herself not the interest of those that needs their service! Okonjo can say whatever she likes cuz i knew from the start that if she was part of the meeting, she would scatter the whole thing and turn it upside down! This strike would be very long and i think FG should neglect them if they are actually fighting for a 50% increase in their salaries but if their fighting for the funding of Universities infrastructure then i think we should all fry Okonjo and GEJ!!!

8 Likes

Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by lincolnj88: 10:18pm On Aug 13, 2013
All dis while . The meetings was just for ASUU to raise their earnings.....I just tire for 9ja....next pls
Re: FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala by chidigood(f): 10:19pm On Aug 13, 2013
Madam Minister of Finance, u must b joking isn't it I will take it as JOKE OF THE MONTH.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Please Help!!!!! What Is Maurid Polytechnic? / Universities With Fast Postgraduate M. Sc Programmes In Nigeria / 10 Nigerians That Actually Have Two Heads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.