Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,799 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:27 PM

What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. (56209 Views)

This Trend Is Specifically For SOCIOLOGIST / Improving The Career Section - Your Recommendations / Working As A Sociologist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by odamaken(m): 7:57am On Jan 25, 2017
Exclusive900:
Please will I do maths and economics as a sub course in sociology? Cos am scared of mathematical calculations....
yes you will do mathematics and maybe economics bcs sociology is a social science
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by Medunah: 7:57am On Jan 25, 2017
ishowdotgmail:
This MOD are wicked ppl ooo, this post na since 2013

Chai! What a wicked world
Lol, Op sef go don graduate
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by Equiano: 8:00am On Jan 25, 2017
A further study in demography,gerontology or industrial sociology won't be bad cos there are few people delving towards these areas. Most of all if ur school offer sociology and Anthropology, the best option is to major in either linguistics, cultural or social anthropology. Thank me later. Am a proud sought after Sociologist.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by chingydaboss(m): 8:01am On Jan 25, 2017
Nice.. U shud as well add as a criminologist ...( Efcc, icpc, military -navy , army , Air Force, as lawyers , journalists , etc so many dear)!! Even in d bank.. I m a sociologist, wrk in a bank sociology has given me diff meanings to life..bt most importantly ,u shud knw wat u are doing, Dnt get distracted. U will excel above ur counterparts in other areas of lyk...
fabraham:
I'm not surprised by this question coming from a fellow sociologist.Practically,sociology is a versatile course because of the various spheres of human endeavours ranging from politics,education,work & occupation,health,law,religion etc. in Nigeria,a sociologist can work virtually every where but to be specific;As human resource officer,counselling,social worker,health practitioner(under medical sociology),para-military formations,lecturing and so many others. But the fact is,sociologists makes bigger money overseas compared to Nigeria.ENJOY YOUR COURSE WHILE IT LAST.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by Cityfirstborn(m): 8:03am On Jan 25, 2017
fabraham:
medical sociolology or sociology of Health is a course at the undergraduate level or a field at the master level that deals with issues relatin ill health,sickness and disease and how people tend to seek for health whenever they are sick.It is also known as Public health in Citadel of learning and a department in most colleges of medicine.

ur deceiving urself, hw can medical sociology be same with public health. its a subset of pub hlth and its nt offered at undergrad level
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by xreal: 8:12am On Jan 25, 2017
sniperliz:
Pls I am a student studying Sociology as a course in one of the state tertiary institutions in Nigeria, initially I never wanted to study that course, I prefered Economics, but rather I was offered Sociology. So, I decided to just continue with it afterall gaining admission isnt easy in Nigeria. For now, am enjoying the course, but I keep on wondering, what career path would I follow when I grduate? I only know about lecturing proffession. Please I need to know the different career fields in Sociology that is visible in Nigeria for me when I graduate.

Pls be happy with the course.
Sociologist fit in many profession aside lecturing.

Do you know the worth of sociologists in the Nigerian Police Force, to 'top it up' go for Masters in Criminology.

I dey busy now.. might talk more later.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by nickyvick(f): 8:28am On Jan 25, 2017
Try n make 2;1 and work in an oil company or any good company. i am a sociologist working in an oil company here in Nigeria. sociology is versatile.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by purpledferanmi1: 8:29am On Jan 25, 2017
I did sociology as well bro, Im very sure u will do statistics. cos i did stat in my 200L.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by Mouthgag: 8:29am On Jan 25, 2017
sniperliz:
Pls I am a student studying Sociology as a course in one of the state tertiary institutions in Nigeria, initially I never wanted to study that course, I prefered Economics, but rather I was offered Sociology. So, I decided to just continue with it afterall gaining admission isnt easy in Nigeria. For now, am enjoying the course, but I keep on wondering, what career path would I follow when I grduate? I only know about lecturing proffession. Please I need to know the different career fields in Sociology that is visible in Nigeria for me when I graduate.
Can't you ask your lecturers?
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by sirhamilton(m): 8:39am On Jan 25, 2017
ishowdotgmail:
This MOD are wicked ppl ooo, this post na since 2013

Chai! What a wicked world

The guy has probably graduated and served already...
One thing is guaranteed, he has the answer to his question by now

1 Like

Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by dsocioemmy(m): 8:40am On Jan 25, 2017
How wish this Op can see this replies now
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by ayd91(m): 8:41am On Jan 25, 2017
sniperliz:
Pls I am a student studying Sociology as a course in one of the state tertiary institutions in Nigeria, initially I never wanted to study that course, I prefered Economics, but rather I was offered Sociology. So, I decided to just continue with it afterall gaining admission isnt easy in Nigeria. For now, am enjoying the course, but I keep on wondering, what career path would I follow when I grduate? I only know about lecturing proffession. Please I need to know the differens visible in Nigeria for me when I graduate.

As a graduate of Sociology and a practicing one... I suggest you study as much as you can, get a good grade but above all, get perfect and applied understanding of the course... that's where your strength will come from. B.Sc. Application is quite broad, currently social development is an area of keen interest and benefit. As you progress things will get clearer to you (as long as you're serious)... Lecturing is always a possibility combined with most occupation.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by no1madman(m): 8:46am On Jan 25, 2017
EVILFOREST:

I will ADVICE u to desist from studying such.

Go and sell ur Father's land or any tangible property and secure admission to study MEDICINE or better still study abroad.
U don't need to ask about the fate of SOCIOLOGY.
Just look around you, u will see mayhem, bedeviling the nation.
I will buy her father's land or any fuckin properties. .
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by skedman(m): 8:47am On Jan 25, 2017
fabraham:
medical sociolology or sociology of Health is a course at the undergraduate level or a field at the master level that deals with issues relatin ill health,sickness and disease and how people tend to seek for health whenever they are sick.It is also known as Public health in Citadel of learning and a department in most colleges of medicine.
you are just speaking grammar, the main concern for the girl is employment , where can she work with are certificate in nigeria and probably she is scared of staying at home. My dear you can work any where so far you come out with a good grade. My elder sister read sociology and today she head one of the leading bank is just your motive and dedication and the Almighty
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by AZeD1(m): 8:48am On Jan 25, 2017
It's 2017, what you know trumps what you study except for professions were you need a license.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by CEdge: 8:58am On Jan 25, 2017
VACANCY

Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by philclem(m): 9:11am On Jan 25, 2017
MMM guidian angry
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by Bowwow11(m): 9:13am On Jan 25, 2017
2:1 in sociology is an added advantage to excel in ur career
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by Wilsonmoses: 9:16am On Jan 25, 2017
It's a nice course! Just graduate with 2.1 like me from Geography department.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by Gerrard59(m): 9:33am On Jan 25, 2017
lilliesboy:

Unfortunately, many sociologists are still not well-paid in Africa (Nigeria) compared to their colleagues in Europe/America. As of 2010, the average sociologist in the USA alone earned at least $34,000 yearly (currently equivalent to about N9,52000 - "9 million, 52 thousand naira"wink, while in Nigeria the average sociology graduate with a B.Sc earns N840,000 yearly (depending on where she/works). The average professor of Sociology in the USA earns $72,000 yearly, while in Nigeria the average professor of Sociology earns about N4.8 million yearly. Too bad. http://degreeinsociology.net/earning-potential-with-a-sociology-degree/

I.

How do folks even make comparison sef? Have you checked the cost of living in the west vis-a-vis Nigeria before comparing salaries? What about currency differences? Using your warped logic, sociologists earn less in Japan compared to the US albeit Japan is the third largest economy.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by Wilsonmoses: 9:35am On Jan 25, 2017
Wilsonmoses:
Wilsonmoses:
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by AreaFada2: 9:51am On Jan 25, 2017
Get your 2.1 first.

With a bit of luck you can get into various jobs. Even multinationals.

You can even add MSc/MA in Human resources, Criminal Justice/Criminology, International development studies, international relations, Diplomacy, etc. If you can secure an MSc place in a foreign university in UK, Canada, Ireland etc, even better.

In diaspora, many people I know in health management/hospital admin read sociology, theology, geography, philosophy and such.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by lexy2014: 10:21am On Jan 25, 2017
Paulolistick:
I am Also a sociologist, trying to become a military man (navy precisely). hearing rumours that sociologist are not need in the Nigerian navy. pls how true is this. urgent answers pls
in addition to what u av been told,u are most likely to b posted to naval intelligence or naval police or any other unit as d authorities deem fit
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by Donshemzy1234: 10:34am On Jan 25, 2017
Please who has know or seen anyone graduate with a 1st class in sociology??
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by eyiye(f): 10:57am On Jan 25, 2017
I did apply to study Sociology in Unilag, this was because I saw myself as been versatile and I had opinions/ideas for everything am been asked. I did went for the course and graduated with a good result. After graduation, I got a good/well paid job while working I decided to do a professional course in HR and within two years I became Chartered HR personnel. Presently am a Business Analyst living outside the country but I can tell you that Sociology gave me the foundation. My advice will be that you should study hard and come out with good grade. By God's grace you will do exploits. Also to mention that you can work anywhere, there is no restrictions.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by charlesucheh(m): 11:27am On Jan 25, 2017
sniperliz:
Bruv! Go deep in the course and understand it better, then you will wish you had never posted this thread! Am sure you're in your rudimentary? Then you must have heard that it is a "JACK OF ALL TRADE AND MASTER OF NONE" i'm a sociologist and am proud to know virtually everything around me! Went to an interview recently and was even getting right bonus questions of people from other fields! It's a very interesting discipline, and until you submit your whole self to it, you'll never know its value.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by DEIFIED(m): 11:42am On Jan 25, 2017
Free thinkers.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:53pm On Feb 07, 2017
Good day all. Please I need help from graduates and under graduate students of sociology. My friend is studying sociology in the University of Jos, I would be glad if you guys would provide me with names of important and useful textbooks so that it would be easier for her. I would appreciate textbooks that could be downloaded online. Thank you very much.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by Longman6(m): 2:39pm On Feb 17, 2017
Yaksson:
Good day all. Please I need help from graduates and under graduate students of sociology. My friend is studying sociology in the University of Jos, I would be glad if you guys would provide me with names of important and useful textbooks so that it would be easier for her. I would appreciate textbooks that could be downloaded online. Thank you very much.
Drop your mail
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 18, 2017
Longman6:
Drop your mail
here it is, thanks. yakadiabiti@gmail.com
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by jessyb: 8:53am On Feb 20, 2017
If you are resident in Lagos and would like extra income in a real estate firm, call or whatsapp ( preferable )07084910289
Re: What Are The Career Opportunity For A Sociologist In Nigeria. by blessedums: 10:56am On Feb 20, 2017
Be Part Of FREE Career Changing-Platform That Is Going Down In Lagos This Feb And March

1 Career-defining Program Platform
And it’s absolutely FREE!!!!!!!!!!

You want to Build a career in Web App Development?
You want to Build a career in Mobile App Development?
You want to Build a career in Digital Media Marketing?
You want to Build a career in Photography?
You want to Build a career in Motion Graphics?
You want to Build a career in 3D Animations?
You want to Build a career in Video Editing?
You want to Build a career in Graphics Design?
You want to Build a career in Web Design and Development?

The program is packaged and customized in scope and content to suit the needs of beginners to intermediate ICT professionals to become expert professionals

EGBEDA EMPOWERTECH
2, Iri-Ibukun Street, Shagari FHA Estate, Lagos (21, 22, 23th Feb, 2017)

LEKKI EMPOWERTECH
2nd Floor, Jeffery Plaza, Before Abraham Adesanya RA, Lekki (28TH Feb , 1st & 2nd March, 2017)

REGISTER FREE: www.ultramediasolution.com/empowertech

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet Abuja Female Painter Who Fears No Height (photo) / 2 Airport Security Guards Get N500k For Returning Missing Bag Filled With Dollar / Nigerian Millionaire Palm Wine Tapper Buys Benz, Builds Mansion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.