Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row (15101 Views)

Olamide’s Son Naming Ceremony, Gov. Fashola Others Attend (Photos) / Beyonce And Kim Kardashian In Race To Give Birth To Second Child As Beyonce Post / Oprah 'suffers Racism' In Zurich Switzerland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by naptu2: 6:39am On Aug 14, 2013
[size=14pt]Oprah 'sorry' for Switzerland's flap[/size]

Associated Press - 2 hrs ago

LOS ANGELES (AP)
— Oprah Winfrey says she's "sorry" about the media coverage that emerged after she said she experienced racism during a trip to Switzerland.

"I think that incident in Switzerland was just an incident in Switzerland. I'm really sorry that it got blown up. I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I'm sorry that I said it was Switzerland," Winfrey said Monday night at the Los Angeles premiere of "Lee Daniels: The Butler."

"I was just referencing it as an example of being in a place where people don't expect that you would be able to be there," she continued.

In a recent interview with "Entertainment Tonight," Winfrey recalled a clerk at an upscale Zurich boutique refusing to show her a handbag. Winfrey said she was told she could not afford the $38,000 purse.

"I'm in a store, and the person doesn't obviously know that I carry the black card, and so they make an assessment based upon the way I look and who I am," said Winfrey, who earned $77 million in the year ending in June, according to Forbes magazine.

"I didn't have anything that said, 'I have money.' I wasn't wearing a diamond stud. I didn't have a pocketbook. I didn't wear Louboutin shoes. I didn't have anything," said Winfrey on the red carpet. "You should be able to go in a store looking like whatever you look like and say, 'I'd like to see this.' That didn't happen."

Swiss tourism officials and the boutique owner apologized for the incident last week, but Winfrey insists there's no need.

"It's not an indictment against the country or even that store," she continued. "It was just one person who didn't want to offer me the opportunity to see the bag. So no apologies necessary from the country of Switzerland. If somebody makes a mistake in the United States do we apologize in front of the whole country? No!"

"The Butler," which opens Friday, documents the civil rights movement through the story of a butler who served in the White House for seven presidents.

http://news.yahoo.com/oprah-sorry-switzerlands-flap-092123697.html

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by homesteady(m): 7:05am On Aug 14, 2013
So after all the insults we showered on the sales-girl, Oprah was wrong!
Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by Nobody: 7:45am On Aug 14, 2013
homesteady: So after all the insults we showered on the sales-girl, Oprah was wrong!

I bet you didn't read the article undecided....

Now go back and read slowly!

The boutique and country had already apologized. That means it happened.

Abeg go read dat article, no time to explain for u. sad

89 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by homesteady(m): 8:45am On Aug 14, 2013
Chillisauce:

I bet you didn't read the article undecided....

Now go back and read slowly!

The boutique and country had already apologized. That means it happened.

Abeg go read dat article, no time to explain for u. sad

I read the article! She just realised that she took it to another dimension! The boutique and country apologised just to ease the tension the story has caused!

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by babyboy3(m): 9:18am On Aug 14, 2013
homesteady:

I read the article! She just realised that she took it to another dimension! The boutique and country apologised just to ease the tension the story has caused!

She did not take anything to another dimension

I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I'm sorry that I said it was Switzerland,"

I'm really sorry that it got blown up

Common go back and read it S-L-O-W-L-Y

83 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by Airforce1(m): 9:37am On Aug 14, 2013
Apology accepted oprah

Don't do it again wink
Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by deols(f): 10:21am On Aug 14, 2013
It was overblown because it is Oprah. Hence, her apology.
Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 14, 2013
the media is always quick to carry negative sides of stories

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by HezronLorraine(m): 5:33pm On Aug 14, 2013
I said it was far too blown.moreover the apology is needed cause she's an international icon.statements from her measures a lot.

How come switzerland is racist when they provided refuge to the Jews under Hitler's world tension?the black race self has issues with its colour.

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 14, 2013
homesteady: So after all the insults we showered on the sales-girl, Oprah was wrong!
See the kind of brains that come here to insult GEJ. U didn't even read the article and u are commenting.

19 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by Valiantvaliant(m): 5:35pm On Aug 14, 2013
please who is this oprah, is she the founder of opera mini?

21 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by AnanseK(m): 5:36pm On Aug 14, 2013
There was no cause for apology. Time and place verify that events actually happened . It happened in Switzerland and she should name the shop as well.

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by CoolKizzy(m): 5:37pm On Aug 14, 2013

ode kirikiri

6 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by homesteady(m): 5:37pm On Aug 14, 2013
grin
Cool Kizzy:

ode kirikiri

-:\
Foolish fool

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by 4reigningqueen: 5:40pm On Aug 14, 2013
ok,the girl should have given her the bag.
Oprah should not have asked for the bag.
The girl should not have apologised.
Oprah should not have mentioned united states.
They both should not have done it.

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 14, 2013
Lesson: Dnt judge a book by its cover.

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by homesteady(m): 5:40pm On Aug 14, 2013
kaorama:
See the kind of brains that come here to insult GEJ. U didn't even read the article and u are commenting.

Don't you understand logic??
She is apologising that a small matter which she thought was racist and was actually not, was taken to another dimension!
Well I still stand my grounds that the sales girl is innocent

2 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by HyeBits: 5:41pm On Aug 14, 2013
Valiantvaliant: please who is this oprah, is she the founder of opera mini?
Exactly! But Oprah Mega.

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by manny4life(m): 5:41pm On Aug 14, 2013
homesteady:

Correction she didn't take it to any other dimension, the media blew it out of proportion. She's not apolgizing for the event that happened, but how far it was blown out for the country to apologize. Abi didn't you see where she made reference about the U.S.,

If somebody makes a mistake in the United States do we apologize in front of the whole country? No!"

So please, this isn't about Oprah, she's all good.

9 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by bettercreature(m): 5:43pm On Aug 14, 2013
Valiantvaliant: please who is this oprah, is she the founder of opera mini?
Yes! and Mozilla Oblongata

5 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by ono(m): 5:45pm On Aug 14, 2013
Why can't people read an article before making comments? This was how some people blew the whole Yerima cum Child marriage thing out of proportion. We still have a long way to go if we continue like this.

And it looks like some people read and can't comprehend.

5 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by Fazhy: 5:46pm On Aug 14, 2013

Oprah was not wrong. Blame the media for twisting the story.
Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by meforyou1(m): 5:47pm On Aug 14, 2013
Oprah's story rhymed with the salesgirl story. The salesgirl herself said oprah requested for a particular bag high up in d case. And she salesgirl said "no, it's just like this cheap one I'm holding in my hands. And I can also show u some cheap varieties of this cheap one I'm holding, which are not high in cases." Becausue the ones high in cases are more expensive. Cost 35,000 swiss francs to be exact. And this black woman, wearing no armando d'armando shoes and blood-diamond rings don't deserve to see those crocodile bags that cost 35,000 swiss francs.
It happened. All happened.
Oprah just apologised for mentioning swistzerland. And swiss journalsits dug dipper and got d store and got the salesgirl. All unnecersary.
And as the shop owner said " this thing has been blown over 200%"

5 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by Blessmira: 5:47pm On Aug 14, 2013
Dats why i like Naija. Nobody cares a fig wether u ar wearin a Loubotin boot or a Diamond stud. Wear a Bathroom slippers n come, e no concern anybody as long as u can pay 4 d fuckin item.
Long Live fellow Nigerians!!! cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by Nuzo1(m): 5:50pm On Aug 14, 2013
I too thot the media blew it out of proportion.

Btw, The Butler is one movie I can't wait to see. I saw the preview and thot Forest Whitaker is about to grab an oscar with his exceptional performance.

The last king of scotland comes to mind.
Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by meforyou1(m): 5:52pm On Aug 14, 2013
homesteady:

Don't you understand logic??
She is apologising that a small matter which she thought was racist and was actually not, was taken to another dimension!
Well I still stand my grounds that the sales girl is innocent
sharap. Was the salesgirl charged to court? Even if she's charged, is it with your emptyn non-comprehending head that u will use to defend her? They will just jail u and set the salesgirl free because you are worse than a racist.

7 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by RedCard1(m): 5:52pm On Aug 14, 2013
It still seems the sales woman (not girl) is the liar. She never showed Oprah that bag because Oprah wasn't dressed like the billionaire she is. She started appologising after she realised it's the powerful Oprah she was dealing with. This happens everywhere.......if you walk into an expensive store here in Naija dressed like a low class fellow, the sellers will look at you twice before attending to you. As for Oprah, she just made a big deal of it in order to let the woman know who she really is (which isn't bad). Money is good o...if it was a low class individual that was insulted this way, he/she wouldn't have been apologised to not to even talk of having a national apology. Oprah you rock, abeg rule your World.

8 Likes

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by homesteady(m): 5:53pm On Aug 14, 2013
me_for_you: Oprah's story rhymed with the salesgirl story. The salesgirl herself said oprah requested for a particular bag high up in d case. And she salesgirl said "no, it's just like this cheap one I'm holding in my hands. And I can also show u some cheap varieties of this cheap one I'm holding, which are not high in cases." Becausue the ones high in cases are more expensive. Cost 35,000 swiss francs to be exact. And this black woman, wearing no armando d'armando shoes and blood-diamond rings don't deserve to see those crocodile bags that cost 35,000 swiss francs.
It happened. All happened.
Oprah just apologised for mentioning swistzerland. And swiss journalsits dug dipper and got d store and got the salesgirl. All unnecersary.
And as the shop owner said " this thing has been blown over 200%"
The girl was just trying to be helpful!! Even market women do it to me naw!

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:53pm On Aug 14, 2013
homesteady:

I beg to differ. Oprah didn't take it to any level. The media (bless them) did so. After all, its Oprah. and with such a sensitive topic as "racism" at the center of the whole controversy, the world took notice.

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 14, 2013
The rich is always right. So, Oprah has to be right, if you think I am wrong then you are not right.

1 Like

Re: Oprah 'Sorry' For Naming Switzerland In Race Row by bknight: 5:57pm On Aug 14, 2013
"I'm in a store, and the person doesn't obviously know that I carry the black card, and so they make an assessment based upon the way I look and who I am,"

"I didn't have anything that said, 'I have money.' I wasn't wearing a diamond stud. I didn't have a pocketbook. I didn't wear Louboutin shoes. I didn't have anything," said Winfrey on the red carpet. "You should be able to go in a store looking like whatever you look like and say, 'I'd like to see this.'

wink cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet The Ugliest Woman In The Whole Wide World - Photo / Chris Brown And Rihanna In Abidjan For Kora Awards / Photo Of Genevieve Nnaji's Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.