Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,429 members, 7,808,530 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil (2975 Views)

Chess Basics For Beginners / Chess Vs Monopoly: Which Is Best? / Resident Evil E-novels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by DiChappelle(m): 11:33am On Aug 14, 2013
If there is a flaw in chess as a game of war,it is this-

Unlike war,the rules of chess are constant.

The pieces are unchangeable,

You will never win the heart of a rook nor the mind of a knight,

They are deaf to your arguments.

*And so be it.*

Chess is by all means evil,

The goal of a chess game is total annihiation that is complete destruction.

But in war, even as the blood heats in your ears and you race after your enemy,there is hope that saner minds than yours, will stop you before you reach your target.

In war,unlike chess,rules can be changed

Truces can be called.

The greatest of enemy can become friends.

In war,there is hope.
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by Nobody: 11:58am On Aug 14, 2013
nice piece, but u forget, my friend, that chess is Just a game, where if u fail, u can try again and smarter.........War, my friend isn't a game, if u fall, u are extinct. there is no coming back. nice argument though.

1 Like

Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by Peinstein: 2:21pm On Aug 14, 2013
Nice piece. However, chess offers you a lot more than total annihilation
You can win or lose
You can offer draw or decide to resign honorably

In war you either win or lose; winning or losing doesn't depend on who is right or wrong.
Man's best is used for man's worst, there is no draw in war once the battle lines are drawn. No victor, no vanquish is a war myth, the winner knows who won. You never get to resign honorably, retreat is an admittance of sore defeat

Let's play chess, leave war for blood thirsy.
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by DiChappelle(m): 5:06pm On Aug 16, 2013
Thanks friends
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by KoloOyinbo(m): 12:11pm On Aug 19, 2013
While there is a role for 'gamesmanship' and psychology in Chess it is minor. Chess teaches us how to apply logic and analyse situations. It teachs visualisation and forward thinking.

More people should be encouraged to learn Chess.
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by Feranchek(m): 4:33am On Aug 29, 2013
Lord, Teach me how 2 PLAY
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 30, 2013
Whether evil or not, dats MY BEST boardgame.

Chess Maniac forever !!!
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by Bawss1(m): 7:58am On Aug 31, 2013
Chess is great. I love the scheming involved, the feeling of "trapping" your opponent, the attacks and counter attacks. Probably the best game ever.
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by brucebanner: 1:23pm On Sep 02, 2013
Di Chappelle:
Chess is by all means evil,
The goal of a chess game is total annihiation that is complete destruction.
Chess is for the development of the mind and is appreciated by those of an high order only... Simple
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 02, 2013
brosss: nice piece, but u forget, my friend, that chess is Just a game, where if u fail, u can try again and smarter.........War, my friend isn't a game, if u fall, u are extinct. there is no coming back. nice argument though.
gbam!
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by ritchboy(m): 12:38pm On Sep 03, 2013
*Kails*:

gbam!

Hi Kails smiley
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by DiChappelle(m): 2:10pm On Sep 05, 2013
If chess is not evil then why is the aim of the game to kill all the piece in order to take the king captive? Remember that most blood thirst wars in history all followed the principle of chess
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by deleuche(m): 1:29am On Sep 20, 2013
Di Chappelle: If chess is not evil then why is the aim of the game to kill all the piece in order to take the king captive? Remember that most blood thirst wars in history all followed the principle of chess

nt true at all. main aim is to capture king

1 Like

Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by deleuche(m): 1:29am On Sep 20, 2013
Di Chappelle: If chess is not evil then why is the aim of the game to kill all the piece in order to take the king captive? Remember that most blood thirst wars in history all followed the principle of chess
listen to what others have said above. and the main aim is not to kill all d pieces but to capture d king. even if you achieve dat without taking down any other piece
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:47pm On Sep 22, 2013
where can i get a mat chess set in Lagos?
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by LordReed(m): 6:54pm On Sep 23, 2013
Di Chappelle: The goal of a chess game is total annihiation that is complete destruction.

If this is how you play chess then you doing it wrong. The goal of Chess is to make the other King capitulate and with as few losses as possible. In doing so you develop the wit and the ability to be more incisive in thinking. Total annihilation is for the impatient, the brash ones who press us to true war when two words would have done.
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by ghostofsparta(m): 8:20pm On Sep 23, 2013
brosss: nice piece, but u forget, my friend, that chess is Just a game, where if u fail, u can try again and smarter.........War, my friend isn't a game, if u fall, u are extinct. there is no coming back. nice argument though.

He's comparative assessment stems from the military analogy "War is like a game of chess"
Re: Chess Vs War, Why Chess Is Evil by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 30, 2013
ghostofsparta:

He's comparative assessment stems from the military analogy "War is like a game of chess"

Yea! Quite expressive... But I fear that's no longer a military analogy. In the 18th, 19th century, we could agree with that analogy.
You see, war has evolved. And quite interestingly, you don't need to go through the pawn anymore, or the rookies or knights.... All you need now is the coordinates of the king...... Once that is gotten, you can nuke the king sky-high with satalite guided war-heads.

Still I get what you mean, all strategy games pull that effect.

(1) (Reply)

How To Fix PES 2020 MOBILE / Top Striker football - game launch / Where Do You Think D Next GTA Should Be Programmed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.