Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,664 members, 7,805,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Please Review This Simple Theme And Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Please Review This Simple Theme And Website (606 Views)

How To Know The Wordpress Theme And Plugins A Blog Is Using / Who Needs A Genesis Theme And Framework For Free? / Good Wordpress Theme And Editable Footer W/o Errors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Review This Simple Theme And Website by Nobody: 1:35am On Aug 15, 2013
I have been working on revamps for my site

www..net - landing page
www..biz - full site

Please check the two links, and let me know your thoughts, thanks.
Re: Please Review This Simple Theme And Website by databoy247(m): 6:50am On Aug 15, 2013
*dhtml:
I have been working on revamps for my site

www..net - landing page
www..biz - full site

Please check the two links, and let me know your thoughts, thanks.

The footer for the second one sucks...plus you need a better logo
Re: Please Review This Simple Theme And Website by Slyr0x: 9:58am On Aug 15, 2013
www..net looks distorted on my mobile device
Re: Please Review This Simple Theme And Website by iyenimofe(m): 10:24am On Aug 15, 2013
Boss, I think you gotta work on the mobile view (considering the amount of users on mobile devices)
Re: Please Review This Simple Theme And Website by GraphicsPlus(m): 1:44pm On Aug 15, 2013
Your codes are just messy and unprofessional. There are lots of css mark-up that are not in your html mark-up. Like class of .grid_9 is not in your html. There are lots of basics of css you did not get. For instance in your nav ul, you set it to display block, but ul is block element already by default. You set the body background image to repeat. CSS background image is repeated by default. In your nav, you wrote, bottom:24px; right:0. How can you set right and bottom properties to a static element? How did you save your logo? Did you use 'save for web and devices?' I doubt. It seems you used normal save as, then in png format. It's wrong. Your logo size is 58.7KB. Just a tiny logo. I resaved it using save for web and devices and got at 6.67KB. In your wrapper, you did margin: 0 auto. Then you went on to write, margin-top:30px; margin-bottom:20px; You should have just write, margin:30px auto 20px; Then you added, height:auto. There is no need. The height of div is automatic by default. You can only write height:auto when you want to overwrite previously defined height.

If you try to resize the browser, you will see that something like white background is covering the three circle images. And you can see that both horizontal and vertical bars are not showing as you resize the broswer. Do you know why? You gave your body and wrapper div an overflow of hidden. Please mind you, overflow: hidden is very dangerous. It should be used with caution or it will cause you lots of problems. There is no need using it in this case. You should have just cleared your floated elements and you will be good to go.

Talking about clearing floated elements, you floated your logo left and then added clear:both to the same logo. This is wrong. You cannot float something and use it to clear itself again. It's like writing something with pencil and then applying eraser on it why showing it to someone. It will clear off. The reason why the logo didn't ignore the float left command since you also cleared it is because by default, html elements are positioned at the left.

As the website is now, the logo and nav are not cleared. And it is causing a problem which overflow hidden in the wrapper solved, and then created another problem. Which problem? When you resize your browser, immediately the browser becomes smaller than the wrapper, the overflow hidden will force the wrapper to hide it's contents from the viewer. To solve this, just remove the overflow hidden in the body and wrapper and create an empty div immediately after nav tag in your html. Then simply go to css and set that empty div to clear:both.

There are lots of things wrong with your codes, which I dont have time to point out comprehensively. For instance, why will you set a div, which is a block level element to display:inline, yet you floated it left? You did this in the class of .grid_3. Since you floated it left, which will force the divs to be in one line, why displaying it inline again? If you dont want to float and you want the div to be in one line, then you will just display it inline-block.

Instead of using base 64 data image, why not use a simple png images for the three circles?

Again, a website as simple as this must be responsive. These are things you should have tidied up before posting it here.

Again, please make your code to be neat. Dont add the codes that are not important. Like all those reset. Again, you used body tag into two places in your css. What's the point? You set one of the line-height of the body to 1. what is 1? You gave margin of 0 to one of the body, but your reset has stated at the very top that body and all other stuff should have margin of 0.

The three icons may be better in white color. The ash color is too dull on those colors.

Why writing 'Webdesign is our hobby and coding frameworks is our passion' twice? Again, the write-up should have be written simply as text in the html. The text will look sharper and clearer. Again, I don't see anything professional in telling a client that web design is your hobby.

Check this: http://www.ctrlshiftstudios.com/net

This is how I may have done it if I were you. Just try to resize your browser to the last width and see.
You can always use: http://mobiletest.me to check and see how your website will look in mobile devices.

Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Please Review This Simple Theme And Website by Slyr0x: 2:49pm On Aug 15, 2013
^^^Nice one. .Very comprehensive and well detailed. Kudos
Re: Please Review This Simple Theme And Website by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 15, 2013
Slyr0x: www..net looks distorted on my mobile device
I am still working on the mobile version, it is the pc version that is for review at the moment. I am planning to do a a mobile layout after i finalize work on this pc version.

@graphicplus, i appreciate your review very much, however i did not write the codes myself - it was a contribution to my work by a webmaster here who actually did it for free, he is already working on the corrections. Once they are effected, i will update this thread.

More reviews please, you ehm did not review www..biz ? And that is where the main content is.
Re: Please Review This Simple Theme And Website by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 15, 2013
@graphicplus seems to have taken law into his hands and fixed the bugs! Now that is what i will call a real webmaster!
I will apply the fixes, i appreciate that!!
Re: Please Review This Simple Theme And Website by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 15, 2013
@graphicplus (thread's oga-at-the-top), i have copied and pasted your version, thanks an aweful lot (muchismo gracias para siempre - in spanish).

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Money Gram Opencart Payment Extension. / Has Been Hacked / Need Help On How To Go About Having Paypal.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.