Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri - Properties (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri (89115 Views)

How Can I Build A 6 Bedroom Duplex With 6.5m Naira / DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] / Architecture: Construction Of Duplex In Lekki & Akwa-Ibom State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by bright87: 7:01pm On Dec 16, 2013
Hi to my building gurus in the house, especially to Spyder as I have been a follower of your thread.
I am currently building a a two (2) flat bungalow of three bedroom each with three toilets on each flat. The building is already above lintel and we are planning for parapet. Now my concern is that there are not enough pillars in the building to hold the parapet, but my engineer has said that it doesn't matter, he seem to be sure of his job and he has assured me on that, but am still worried, because i know that anything concrete is very weighty. There are only four (4) pillars on the entire building. i.e two each at the entrance of each of the flat, the guy who sells the rod said that we might need to put more pillars in the building otherwise there would be crack on the building, I am worried as I am not around, my sister is in charge of the project. Now my questions are these:

(1) Do you guys think that it's safe to have a parapet on the building without building more pillars ? The building only has four (4) pillars just on the entrance on each of the flats
(2) Can I use 10mm rod for the parapet instead of 12mm ? as I personally think the parapet is more of a design thing.

Please your advise would highly appreciated.

Thanks to you all.....
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by bright87: 9:59pm On Dec 16, 2013
bright87: Hi to my building gurus in the house, especially to Spyder as I have been a follower of your thread.
I am currently building a a two (2) flat bungalow of three bedroom each with three toilets on each flat. The building is already above lintel and we are planning for parapet. Now my concern is that there are not enough pillars in the building to hold the parapet, but my engineer has said that it doesn't matter, he seem to be sure of his job and he has assured me on that, but am still worried, because i know that anything concrete is very weighty. There are only four (4) pillars on the entire building. i.e two each at the entrance of each of the flat, the guy who sells the rod said that we might need to put more pillars in the building otherwise there would be crack on the building, I am worried as I am not around, my sister is in charge of the project. Now my questions are these:

(1) Do you guys think that it's safe to have a parapet on the building without building more pillars ? The building only has four (4) pillars just on the entrance on each of the flats
(2) Can I use 10mm rod for the parapet instead of 12mm ? as I personally think the parapet is more of a design thing.

Please your advise would highly appreciated.

Thanks to you all.....

Still waiting to get an advise from you guys.... Thanksss.
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 11:41pm On Dec 16, 2013
bright87:

Still waiting to get an advise from you guys.... Thanksss.

An experienced professional is supposed to go look at the work done and make further recommendations. Parapets are for the external walls and needs to hook on some pillars, so it should have been provided for in the initial building plan.
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by bright87: 3:45am On Dec 17, 2013
spyder880:

An experienced professional is supposed to go look at the work done and make further recommendations. Parapets are for the external walls and needs to hook on some pillars, so it should have been provided for in the initial building plan.

Thanks for your reply Oga Spyder. When i called him, he seem sure, but i am just concerned that concrete is very heavy... but has said that he can get more pillars in the house if i insist, as it's not too late. I know this will cost me a bit more but If it's really needed I don't mind spending the extra cash which is why I am asking for expert advise on this. Kindly throw more light on things so that i know what to tell him when i call him. Have already bought materials for the parapet and negotiated with the carpenter as well, just wanna be sure about things before we commence the parapet phase.
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by mayjil: 4:04pm On Dec 17, 2013
Oga S, na me call you this morning asking for ac info. Can you also provide breakdown on the wiring and the parts needed. My email is mayjah2002@yahoo.com should you prefer to also to that.

Thanks
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by emmadejust(m): 5:35pm On Dec 17, 2013
eng spyder, hv u confirmed my email,

what is your respond.
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by elvis07: 10:52pm On Dec 17, 2013
Spyder pls reply my mail abt d quotation I got which I ve sent to u.
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 11:51pm On Dec 17, 2013
My people, those mails are not hitting my mail box, Emmadejust, I have got no emails from you, did you send it again?
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 11:56pm On Dec 17, 2013
We just finished offloading now, by this time of the night? Na so we see am cheesy

I bought tiles, doors and bathroom accessories and dropped into this site, no time to take pictures or even eat all through the day, but we achieved our target. More shopping tomorrow.
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by mayjil: 1:39am On Dec 18, 2013
Working hard for you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by emmadejust(m): 8:35am On Dec 18, 2013
spyder880: My people, those mails are not hitting my mail box, Emmadejust, I have got no emails from you, did you send it again?

yes my email Address is

techdejust@gmail.com

I sentt to the email u gave
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by checkfidel: 3:56pm On Dec 18, 2013
bright87:

Thanks for your reply Oga Spyder. When i called him, he seem sure, but i am just concerned that concrete is very heavy... but has said that he can get more pillars in the house if i insist, as it's not too late. I know this will cost me a bit more but If it's really needed I don't mind spending the extra cash which is why I am asking for expert advise on this. Kindly throw more light on things so that i know what to tell him when i call him. Have already bought materials for the parapet and negotiated with the carpenter as well, just wanna be sure about things before we commence the parapet phase.

The truth is that parapets are suppose to be treated with utmost care just like cantilever, which they are. But, I have seen that some buildings do not have any form of structural design for the parapet due to the use of unqualified personnels in the industry. This meaning that the contractor uses what he did in Mr A's house to handle Mr B's without considering the geometric changed that might have occured.

What is done is that a dwarf pillar is mounted from the lintel to assist in the anchorage of the parapet beam and also introducing internal beam (toe) which is meant to counter the parapet weight.
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by bright87: 4:33am On Dec 19, 2013
Thanks sooooooooooo much for you informative response. You know, I was so confused that I have been trying to convince myself to do away with the parapet, but I just love it and i am concerned that I might regret not having it in the house. I have already resolved with him to crack the corners of the house "edges" and insert some columns all the way down from the foundation up till the parapet level, what do you think of this ideal ? will it have any effect on the integrity of the structure if the walls are neatly cracked including the lintel(to pass the new column rod between the rod of the lintel) before casting the new columns ? Please can you please drop your no. so i can call you and discuss more with you to get a basic understanding of your explanation. If i was around i would have known how to handle things myself but is difficult dealing with a contractor just on the phone.

Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Cheers...
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by checkfidel: 8:59am On Dec 19, 2013
The truth is that some people never plan to have parapet in their building so, it becomes an after thought.
This though should not deter you from achieving your dream of having a building with a beautifully design parapet. one good thing I like about parapet is that it serves as a barrier for burglars who tend to break in through the ceiling.
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by checkfidel: 9:42am On Dec 19, 2013
chiesel the wall down to the foundation is ok, but you still need to take care of the overturning effect of the parapet by introducing a lateral supporting anchore in between. Meanwhile, I hope your block wall are not the one bag, 60 block type.

NOTE: If my explanations and advice seem murky, you send a mail to me at checkfidel@yahoo.co.uk then I can send my number to you.
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by topsy23: 6:39pm On Dec 19, 2013
Contact us for Electrical and Plumbing installation for your on-going and upcoming project.

You can check out this thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/1233943/contact-us-electrical-mechanical-plumbing/9
Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 10:39pm On Dec 19, 2013
Lets see the result of my activities in this project this week, I bought the green tile, plus the brown big one on the bottom row, the 60 x 60.

1 Share

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 10:42pm On Dec 19, 2013
Loading the two trucks, tiles and other accessories, etc

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 10:48pm On Dec 19, 2013
The baths, the Ariston water heaters, the double kitchen sinks, W/C seats, wash hand basin etc.

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 10:50pm On Dec 19, 2013
The new design internal doors, I am placing these white ones on the toilets.

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 10:53pm On Dec 19, 2013
External doors, Israeli made.

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 10:55pm On Dec 19, 2013
From inside one bedroom, our windows I chose to put in this house. cheesy

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 10:57pm On Dec 19, 2013
I put my window man to task and we created this. cheesy

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 10:59pm On Dec 19, 2013
Side of the house, showing all the windows on one side.

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 11:02pm On Dec 19, 2013
I have almost 15 men all working in this site, some are hanging the doors, some are fixing the tiles, some are dressing the windows while some are doing other jobs.........like designing the window hoods.

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 11:05pm On Dec 19, 2013
The kitchen door, could be partly opened to allow fresh air through the passage...... grin

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 11:10pm On Dec 19, 2013
a toilet window

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 11:13pm On Dec 19, 2013
More windows from other parts of the house.

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 11:18pm On Dec 19, 2013
This was the look of the window burglary proof as at yesterday, it has been painted pure white and will be delivered to site tomorrow.

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by spyder880(m): 11:25pm On Dec 19, 2013
1. front look of the house, more materials coming down from the vehicle
2. we are digging a soak away pit/septic tank in the back of this house.
3. some more sides from the back.

Re: Construction Of A 6 Bedroom Duplex At Owerri by investnow2013: 11:26pm On Dec 19, 2013
spyder880: Ladies and gentlemen, we are here once again to build a palatial residential home for one of my friends here on Nairaland. We have been contracted to build this house from start to finish withing the next 2 months and half. The details of the project are;

Project: Construction of a 6 bedroom duplex
Client: Nairaland friend
Duration: 74 days (carcas)
Project cost: To be revealed as the stages progress.

2 bedrooms (all en suit)
1 kitchen
1 kitchen store
1 laundry room
1 public lounge
1 dining room
1 visitors w/c
1 ante room, foyer

UPSTAIRS

3 bedrooms (all en suit)
1 study room
1 private lounge
1 terrace
Spyder880 can't This building be done with 6inches solid Blocks?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Quality Granite Supply,haulage At A Reasonble Price / Nigerchin, Kabelmetal And Coleman Cables, / Man Returns From Dubai To See The House Built With Money He Sent Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.