Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,704 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** (4217 Views)

Quiz: Which Is Safer, 1988 Peugeot 505 GLX Or 1988 Toyota Corolla FX? / Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi / Acl/grimaldi Schedules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BizBooks(m): 7:23pm On Aug 15, 2013
We have spent a lot of time here on NL discussing this issue. However the answer to the
question is still not very clear. Some say Grimaldi is the best while others swear never
to use Grimaldi even on the pain of death. I currently have several cars in transit on
various vessels. Their progress will be documented here. If a consistent pattern emerges,
that may help in shedding some light on the issue.

Grimaldi has been accused of being chronically late. That may not be true in all instances.
I gave them a car on July 26, 2013 and by August 12, the vessel was already on it's way to
Lagos. That's a wait period of less than 3 weeks as opposed to 3 months which has been the
experience of some people.

1. Honda Civic - Given to Grimaldi, NJ on July 26 - Vessel sailed Aug 12, Arrived Aug 28
2. Honda CR-V - Given to AES, MD on Aug 2. Vessel sailed Aug 12 Delivered Sep 7
3. Lexus RX300 - Given to AES, MD on Aug 2. Vessel sailed Aug 12 Delivered Sep 7
4. Toyota Camry - Given to AES, FL on August 8. Vessel sailed Aug 15
5. Toyota Avalon - Given to AES, NJ on August 26 Vessel sailed NOT AVAILABLE

More to follow...

Update, Sep 7, 2013:
Grimaldi continues to have serious congestion issues. The vessel carrying
the Civic arrived since August 28 but due to congestion at the Grimaldi
terminal, they are yet to offload the car. On the other hand, the AES
vessel that arrived a few days after Grimaldi has offloaded and our
vehicles delivered to us.

Definition of terms:

Grimaldi, NJ = Grimaldi loading from Bayonne, New Jersey
AES, MD = AES loading from Baltimore, Maryland
AES, GA = AES loading from Savannah, Georgia
AES, FL = AES loading from Jacksonville, Florida
AES, NJ = AES loading from Bayonne, New Jersey
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by komekn(m): 12:07am On Aug 17, 2013
Waiting patiently to see the outcomes and i will make my decisions based on your findings.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BizBooks(m): 11:59am On Aug 17, 2013
komekn: Waiting patiently to see the outcomes and i will make my decisions based on your findings.

I have made the following updates to the original post:

2. Honda CR-V - Given to AES, MD on August 2. Vessel sailed August 12
3. Lexus RX300 - Given to AES, MD on August 2. Vessel sailed August 12

More to follow...
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by viperman: 2:52pm On Aug 17, 2013
BizBooooks!! cool cool cool
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by Emperoh(m): 12:27am On Aug 18, 2013
Subscribing to this!
cool cool cool cool cool
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by calculusx(m): 12:05pm On Aug 19, 2013
Depending on the Port of Loading...Grimaldi takes longer than 3weeks to load from Baltimore. Did a research and found out Baltimore been the 5th Largest Sea Port in USA is more congested than other Sea Port. I doubt if i will ever use AES again. They are the fastest no doubt but until they address the issue of parts theft,its a NO NO NO for me.

Bizbooks, pls let us know if any part got missing from your shipments via AES.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BizBooks(m): 1:13pm On Aug 19, 2013
calculusx:
Bizbooks, pls let us know if any part got missing from your shipments via AES.

I had the following 3 cars delivered by AES last month: 1999 Toyota Camry, 1998 Honda CR-V
and 1999 RX300. Nothing was stolen from any of them. Do not wait for the original Bill of
Lading before starting the clearing process. Once the vessel leaves the US, ask your shipping
agent to send you a photocopy of the BOL. Send that to your agent to begin the clearing
process while you wait for the original. In this case, my agent went to the Port and saw all
the cars even before they were cleared.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BizBooks(m): 1:15pm On Aug 19, 2013
viperman: BizBooooks!! cool cool cool

The Viper,

I have more cars to list but they are not all mine though I wish they were.

1 Like

Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by bellong: 10:47pm On Aug 19, 2013
I thought AES is a freight forwarder or is it same with Sallaum?
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by sultaan(m): 4:12am On Aug 20, 2013
Do we focus on these businesses that ship from point A to B and we know there success depends on good customer service; or do we take a look at delivery point B whose success is based on monopoly.

If we all have a choice of Nigerian Ports and Benin, I think most shippers will use Benin.

Speed is determined by how soon they can load the ship for a trip since sail time is almost the same, a ship should be discharged within 8 hours I don't know how long it takes in Nigeria.

The only incentive in Nigeria is demurrage, so delay pays.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BizBooks(m): 2:00am On Aug 30, 2013
The vessels have started arriving.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by cretin: 8:47am On Aug 30, 2013
hv you ever ysed hanjin shipping?
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BizBooks(m): 12:20pm On Aug 30, 2013
cretin: hv you ever ysed hanjin shipping?

No I have never used Hanjin Shipping and I'm hearing of them for the first time. Apparently,
they are based in Korea. Are they worth giving a try?
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BelloSKK: 11:43pm On Aug 30, 2013
BizBooks:

I have made the following updates to the original post:

2. Honda CR-V - Given to AES, MD on August 2. Vessel sailed August 12
3. Lexus RX300 - Given to AES, MD on August 2. Vessel sailed August 12

More to follow...
Oga BizBooks, how're you and your family at home? Hope all is fine. Your writeup, comments, and suggestions on this thread are extremely vital for us, the newbies.
I would be extremely grateful if you could assist me in making informed decision about importing a CLEAN TITLE or SALVAGED car from USA, or other European Countries, like UK or France.
Through this thread on this forum, I got to know about these Auto companies: wwww.auctionexport.com, www.iaai.com, www.copart.com. Also, based on my research, I came across www.parkers.co.uk, but I don't know whether it is a scam website.
As I browse each of the websites mentioned, I came across some price quotations which I couldn't understand as I tried to know the TOTAL costs of a given car as well as its shipping cost.
Sir, with a TOTAL budget of N750,000 TO N800,000, could I buy, ship, and clear a car (Sedan) with the following specifications:
(a) Toyota Avensis 1998-2000 model, full option, automatic, V4, Left Hand Drive, Clean title. Or
(b) Toyota Avalon 2004-2005 model, full option, automatic, V4 or V6, Left Hand Drive, Salvage. Or
(c) Toyota Carina E, 1998-2000 Model, full option, automatic, V4, lhd, Clean Title. Or
(d) Toyota Corolla, 1999-2000 model, full option, automatic, V4, LHD, Clean title. Or
(e) Toyota Corolla, 2002-2003 model, full option, automatic, V4, LHD, Salvage.

If not, please, with my total budget stated above, what kind of Toyota Sedan could I import from abroad?
Thanks very much.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BizBooks(m): 12:58am On Aug 31, 2013
@BelloSKK,

If you search hard enough, you can get the following vehicles for 800K including shipping
and clearing:

1999 - 2000 Honda Accord
1999 - 2000 Toyota Corolla
1999 - 2000 Toyota Camry

However you should reserve an extra N50K to put the car in top shape when it arrives
Nigeria. This should include a complete oil and filter change, transmission and power
steering flush, inspection of brake pads, shock absorbers, wheel balancing and alignment
(in other words, a major tune up). This is important because whenever people decide to
sell their cars, they no longer service or maintain them until they are sold. The logic
being, why spend money on a car you will soon sell. I'm guilty of that too.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by JUO(m): 9:13am On Aug 31, 2013
I have seen these prices but got confused
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BizBooks(m): 11:35am On Aug 31, 2013
JUO: I have seen these prices but got confused

Which prices?
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by cretin: 11:42am On Sep 03, 2013
APART FROM Grimaldi...what other shipping line would you recommend from nj/md axis?
i learnt grimaldi has a terminal at tincan...thus making it easier to do biz with them......do u have any idea if aes/hoegh have a terminal in tincan?

i shipped a vehicle via container tru hanjin...it arrived last month but due to congestion...am yet to clear the container/vehicle...more than 10 days since the ship berthed
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BizBooks(m): 11:52am On Sep 06, 2013
@Cretin,

In addition to Grimaldi, I will recommend AES and Hoegh. They all ply the NY, NJ, PA, MD
route.

P.S: I have not used Hoegh but people in the business say they are good.

1 Like

Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BizBooks(m): 11:54am On Sep 06, 2013
UPDATE:

The vessels are here but Tincan Port is severely congested. So we are still waiting.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by bravolad(m): 1:09pm On Sep 06, 2013
Please kindly advise the best shipping lines to use in the UK. I hear Tilbury is better than purfleet. Which shipping line do you think would be good? A shipper told me Grilmadi is reliable. Can you also recommend a shipper (agent) because the one I'm using now has been delaying my shipment. Over two week, my goods have not been delivered to the shipping line.

Suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BizBooks(m): 6:10pm On Sep 07, 2013
@Bravolad,

Sorry, I know nothing about shipping from the UK. Ask Siena.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by BizBooks(m): 6:22pm On Sep 07, 2013
Update, Sep 7, 2013:
Grimaldi continues to have serious congestion issues. The vessel carrying
the Civic arrived since August 28 but due to congestion at the Grimaldi
terminal, they are yet to offload the car. On the other hand, the AES
vessel that arrived a few days after Grimaldi has offloaded and our
vehicles delivered to us.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by cretin: 7:44pm On Sep 07, 2013
yeah same thing on hanjin..the container arrived sinced 23rd august..yet to be cleared...am really unhappy...thank God it was contanerised..this congestion delay will give wharf rats an ample window to vandalize roro vehicles
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by ccaramel(f): 12:26am On Sep 12, 2013
Eukor and African car carriers are good ones too. I have used them since last year with zero issues. Just tried Sallaum and will give you feedback with experience. Eukor is available through AEL shipping. shipit.com Sallaum just email them and get your dock receipt, you don't need a forwardersmiley
I ship quite a number of cars and I have tried them all. Grimaldi- too much delay, Hoegh- good but more expensive then the others.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by chucky234(m): 8:37am On Sep 13, 2013
Grimaldi's terminal congestion is becoming worrisome.
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by jaz(m): 8:40pm On Dec 04, 2013
guys pls i need ur advice.
my car landed at Baltimore port on 29 October 2013 however I'm yet to get bol. shipping via AES
do u think the car will make it to naija this December?
Re: ***Grimaldi, AES Or Hoegh: Which Is Faster? Which Is Safer?*** by Gbengabass: 8:13am On Dec 31, 2020
Kindly assist me as my car has arrived since 17th December and we have not been able to clear it due to the fact that they said the Bill of laden is not on their system. We have since contacted the shipper and this has been sent twice. It was still not seen as at yesterday. Other cars sent by the guy to my friends with the same GLOVIS challenge has been cleared.

My worry is also the safety of the car. I hope it does not get vandalized if it stays too long there. I am familiar with demurage.

This is with Sallaum

(1) (Reply)

DIY: Replacing Front And Rear Stabiliser Bar Bushing / HELP Ford Edge 2008,toyota Highlander 2003, Or Acura Mdx 2005 / W203 To W204 Conversion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.