Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,321 members, 7,808,080 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

- Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / (3918 Views)

Can You Share This With Your Spouse ? / Please Let Us Share This, I Just Wonder What The Nigeria Is Turning Into. / Share This Cheap But Good Handheld Vacuum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 18, 2013

2 Likes

Re: by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 18, 2013
How does one subscribe? In Nigeria you would just go to Intercontinental bank and pick up a copy.... didn't see where to subscribe in the link you gave
Re: by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 18, 2013
Donxavier, Go to http://www.ucb.co.uk/word-for-today.html

Then click on "Email word for today"

If you want you can also PM me your Email address because there is also an option of me to add people to their Email database. They
will send you the Email everyday. Mine usually arrives in the early hours of the morning.
Re: by Nobody: 6:57pm On Aug 18, 2013
chaircover: Donxavier, Go to http://www.ucb.co.uk/word-for-today.html

Then click on "Email word for today"

If you want you can also PM me your Email address because there is also an option of me to add people to their Email database. They
will send you the Email everyday. Mine usually arrives in the early hours of the morning.

what of the devotional itself? Isn't there an option for them to post to your home address?
Re: by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 18, 2013
Re: by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 18, 2013
^^^

Many Thanks and God Bless smiley
Re: by bukatyne(f): 12:14pm On Aug 19, 2013
Princess zoe: Nashvile God bless you beyond measure. I believe we are not only discussing about female children here. Our male children equally need special attention if not more. We are to educate our children morally especially the male ones. Our male children should be tutored on how to control their sexual urges. They should be taught on the necessity of saying no to sex until after wedding. They should be taught of the spiritual and physcial consequences of sexual immorality. They should be taught on the consquences of smoking, joining cultist, roaming around with bad peers, drinking in excess and so on. If sixty percent of parents can influence their male children on moral grounds, many female children will be saved from rape, teenage pregnancy will be reduced, prostitution as a result of lack of money to take care of ones children due to teenage pregnancy will minimize, divorce being caused by infidelity or battery from the male side will reduce, bosses asking their female employees to pull off panties before giving them appointment letter or promotion will minimize and more male graduates who are qualifies for various job positions will be employed, killing for money making will be minimized, robbery and kidnapping will be minimized, above all immorality will reduce. Our male children should be taught with carefulness with ALMOST the same way female children are taught. Tell them to protect their bodies from women that are not their wives. Also not to sleep with any woman that is not the wife. Our male children are stronger sex i.e emotionally, so we are to teach them to be protectors and not destroyers(sexual predators). The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Teach your male children that as well as the female children. Remember, the children learn more from what we do, they listen to what we say about daddy or about mummy. If they ever hear from mummy or close relation that dad cheated on mum, the dad has started losing. Same goes to mummy. That is why training children is the most challanging issue in the marriage. Let us be guided accordingly.

God bless you so much.

We focus too much on the girl child. Even in churches, we have severally women groups and meetings aimed at training them to be better wives without training the husbands.

Focusing too much o the girl child will make her over qualified for the men of the future. it might even have no effect as she still sees her untrained brothers as normal.
Re: by yiboboy: 5:48pm On Aug 19, 2013
Op's post is gender biased! angry

I'm doing fine with a good job, nice ride and reside in a gated commuinty. It however came @ a price.

I'd come top 3 while in school and my dad will only look at it like. . . no biggie! My elder sis' best position was 12th (as I recall) and it was champagne poppin that day!

With time I learnt to ignore/kill all form of affection from him whether forth coming or not. I remember I joined the bucaneers the very 1st night I stepped into higher institution (must have been looking for a role mdel).

I became so steely inside, I often get scared of what I'm capable of. Even now my colleagues in the office complain that I'm too cold, I never let anyone get too close lest I get disappointed one way or the other.

Whats my rant about?. . . Guys need love too. Its okay to push ur child not to relent/rest on his oars but don't over do it embarassed

PS: I've always wanted to let this out. . . don't begrudge my dad, simply wondering what might have happened if I'd gotten some hi-5 in my younger years.
Re: by Olivialight(f): 7:54pm On Aug 19, 2013
I kip saying ppl shld plz b careful wit d decisions they take, bringing out life in dis world is a serious task and parents shld ask God 2 guide dem on how 2 b a gud parents, i beliv ur home takes d shape of the parents design. Plz plz plz ppl we owe our kids love,
u can deduce how some couples r 2 themselves by merely watching their children.
Den agn even as sum ppl came 4rm maybe homes wit say a little harshness U can still decide 2 make ur children feel dat love, u get 2 b @ peace and more fulfilled 2 see ur children in such emotional stability. Ur gals wnt settle 4 less cs dey knw how real love feels like and ur boys knwz how 2 b a mature,responsible man, how 2 treat a woman. Take a decision dat u il do ur bst 2 make a peaceful and loving home and work towards it and God il help u achieve that. IT IS WELL
Re: by Romeo4real(m): 12:11pm On Aug 20, 2013
Well done CC. A very important toipc, and quite precient too, as i have just been putting the finishing touches to a parenting seminar aimed at Nigerian parents. If i may, i would like to add something to the thread.

As Nigerians, we generally think we are good parents, but the truth is often difficult to accept. We subconsciously repeat the things our parents did without stopping to analyse the value, or indeed, the detriment inherent in them.

I currently spend a lot of my time dealing with people (men & women), adults with their own children, in their 40's, still suffering from the effects of issues from their childhood. These people are dealing with insecurities, chronic lack of esteem (covered up with bravado or arrogance), caused by unkind and abusive words used by their parents when they were children.
I remember my childhood very well, and though i now know that my parents loved me, it was difficult to see that at the time; due to the way i was discipined. I see members of my own family,and my friends, repeating the same patterns with their families. Lesson 1: If your child has any doubts that you love them, then you need to re-asses your parenting.
Also, though loving your child is one of the components of good parenting, it is simply not enough. The love has to be expressed, and it has to be vocalised.

Most parenting is reactive; that is, we see kids doing what we don't like, then apply discipline so it's not repeated. Good parenting SHOULD be proactive. A child needs to be loved, mentored, tutored, and guided; not just disciplined.
The main issue however, is that parents often have unresolved issues themselve, which ironically has come from the way they were parented (certain posts on these threads also confirm this); Issues with communication, affection, anger management, and low self confidence and insecurities are often at the root of bad parenting. Lesson 2: To be a good parent, your MUST develop yourself and resolve your issues. Do not let your issues affect the way you parent your children. Break the cycle.

On the issues of fathers, the presence of a strong male figure in the lives of children, especially girls really cannot be underestimated. This is not to diminish anything that mothers do, however, a strong male figure, who is EMOTIONALLY PRESENT, is neccessary for the viable emotional development of a female child. Note, this is not about a male figure being in the home, but a male figure who provides strength of leadership, mentorship, tutorship and emotional stability to the child.
Unfortunately, whilst most men are physically present, they are emotionally absent. This often results in a lack of confidence and insecurities for the female child (i would love why this happens, but it would simply take to long).

Boys also need strong emotionally present male figures, though for different reasons. For boys, it is about providing an example of integrity, leadership, self respect, love and acceptance (boys need love too).
It is travesty that most Nigerian males leave child raising to the woman, and believe their responsibility ends when they provide the means and material things. Nothing could be further from the truth.

- Remember, your child is a reflection of you. No child is born difficult. A difficult child is ALWAYS the result of bad parenting. Find out where you have gone wrong, acknowledge it and start again
- ALWAYS discipline your children firmly, without drama or shouting. Explain why and tell them you love them afterwards.
- NEVER use bad or abusive words/language with your children - no matter how angry you are
- NEVER beat your children with ANY implement or tool
- ALWAYS make time for your children - no matter how inconvenient it is
- ALWAYS show your children love and affection
- ALWAYS speak posivity into your childrens lives
- ALWAYS tell your children how much they are loved, and how amazing they are
- Mentor your children. Teach them values and self respect. A child is like a train, without being put on tracks to guide it, it can/will end up anywhere.

Hope this adds to the debate in a positive way.

1 Like

Re: by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 20, 2013
Parents have a huge role to play in sky rocketing their children's self esteem esp female children. Teach your sons how to appreciate their sisters and let daddy shower them not only with gifts but with positive words of the mouth.....tell them they are the best thing to have happened to you after their mother. Appreciate mummy in their presence cos they are watching
Re: by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 20, 2013
yiboboy: Op's post is gender biased! angry

I'm doing fine with a good job, nice ride and reside in a gated commuinty. It however came @ a price.

I'd come top 3 while in school and my dad will only look at it like. . . no biggie! My elder sis' best position was 12th (as I recall) and it was champagne poppin that day!

With time I learnt to ignore/kill all form of affection from him whether forth coming or not. I remember I joined the bucaneers the very 1st night I stepped into higher institution (must have been looking for a role mdel).

I became so steely inside, I often get scared of what I'm capable of. Even now my colleagues in the office complain that I'm too cold, I never let anyone get too close lest I get disappointed one way or the other.

Whats my rant about?. . . Guys need love too. Its okay to push ur child not to relent/rest on his oars but don't over do it embarassed

PS: I've always wanted to let this out. . . don't begrudge my dad, simply wondering what might have happened if I'd gotten some hi-5 in my younger years.

It feels good letting out right?
Yiboboy, I aplaud u.
Maybe someday u can extend this to ur dad. Probably he never knew.
Most of them don't know d psychological damage favouritsm causes. Had he known......,
Maybe in his mind,he sees u as the stronger sex and ur sis as d weaker one hence his favourite.
Do forgive him and extend ur lv. He needs u. Two of u need each other.
Pleasssssse.

1 Like

Re: by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2013
jennykadry: Parents have a huge role to play in sky rocketing their children's self esteem esp female children. Teach your sons how to appreciate their sisters and let daddy shower them not only with gifts but with positive words of the mouth.....tell them they are the best thing to have happened to you after their mother. Appreciate mummy in their presence cos they are watching

Where have you been?
Missed you around here. smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastor Tony Rapu Shares Important Tips For Married Women / I Will Be Dead In Few Days / Do You Think This Set Of Twins Are Lovely In This Hairstyle?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.