Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,108 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! (7709 Views)

Nairalander's Samsung A7 Review For Samsung Lovers / Memory Card Cannot Work On My Android But Work On Laptop / BBM Now Available For Android But With Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by david6(m): 1:12pm On Aug 18, 2013
t’s official. BBM, the messaging service that is so popular among young people in Mzansi, is coming to Android. And the first non-BlackBerry devices to get it will be Samsung’s Galaxy range of smartphones.

Rumours have been doing the rounds for more than a year that the troubled Canadian phone maker has been planning to make BBM available on its competitors’ handsets. But the first solid confirmation came only in the past week, with an announcement from George Ferreira, the vice-president and chief operating officer of Samsung Electronics Africa that the Korean electronics behemoth had entered a partnership with BlackBerry.

“Bringing a top-tier messaging service such as BBM (to our devices) is another way that we are expanding the catalogue of our messaging services and offering customers an amazing way to stay instantly connected with colleagues, friends and family,” Ferreira said.

BBM will be integrated into the Samsung Messaging Hub as a free addition to the slate of propriety and third party messaging services that Samsung customers enjoy.

Interestingly, BBM for Android will initially only be available on Galaxy-branded smartphones and only in Africa, giving Samsung customers on the continent access to the BBM social network, including BBM chats, multiperson chats and BBM Groups, which allows BBM customers to create groups of up to 30 people, as well as share photos and voice notes.

At launch, the app will be available for download from the Samsung and Google Play Stores, at no cost. There is still no word from either Samsung or BlackBerry on when that will happen, but I'm pretty sure it will be earlier than the originally rumoured date of October. And I doubt it will be very long before BBM is on other Android devices worldwide.

As a Samsung smartphone owner and father of two BlackBerry-toting teens, I’m naturally thrilled at the development. But I’m not so sure it is the best move for BlackBerry, given that BBM was really the only reason my kids wanted “CrackBerries” in the first place.

My son, in particular, was quite torn when it came to choosing his first cellphone late last year. The BlackBerry, he complained, was “lame” compared to a similarly priced Android phone. But he went for it anyway because all his friends had them. And his friends had them because of one thing – you’ve guessed it: BBM.

I doubt either of my kids were planning to choose a BlackBerry as their next phone anyway. But with BBM no longer exclusive to BlackBerry, the chances now are pretty much non-existent.

Yes, BlackBerry has released some superb new handsets in the past year or so, but they are top-end devices with price tags in the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4 league. In the price bracket my kids will be shopping in, Android phones – and Samsung devices in particular – are growing more dominant by the day.

Now, with BBM as yet another selling point, they will be well nigh unbeatable.
Also from samsung-Samsung has announced that the
anticipated BBM app for Android will soon
be available through the Google Play and
Samsung App store, but only for those
Samsung Galaxy users in Africa.
While BlackBerry itself has remained
tightlipped on the actual release date of
the Android app announced by BlackBerry
CEO Thorsten Heins in May, it can't be far
off a global launch, chipping away at the
unique features that BlackBerrys once
offered.
Samsung says that BBM will form part of
the Samsung Messaging Hub and will be
free, joining the suite of messaging
services that Samsung offers on its Galaxy
line of smartphones.
"BBM provides one of the best and most
robust mobile messaging experiences
today. BBM has always set the standard
for mobile instant messaging and we are
thrilled to bring this experience to
Samsung customers across Africa," said
Andrew Bocking, executive vice-president
BBM at BlackBerry.
"BBM is loved by people who rely on fast,
trusted messaging, along with the
immediacy that our delivered and read
statuses bring. Samsung customers will
soon join the BBM nation in its love of the
'D' and 'R' notifications."
Other messaging services will tell you
when your message has been delivered,
but one of the popular features of BBM is
that you can see when a person has read
your message, so you have a better idea
of whether it has been seen or not.
Samsung has been pushing its own
messaging service, ChatOn, across its
devices, but faced with cross-platform
services like WhatsApp, the appeal is
perhaps limited. BBM's move onto Android
and iPhone may bring some users back to
a service they'd long since abandoned,
but at the same time, might make it
easier for those still using a BlackBerry to
bid adieu.
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 18, 2013
soon it'll also b on techno #teamtechno

2 Likes

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by twaintoy(f): 2:14pm On Aug 18, 2013
Galaxy S3 all da way. I dey wait am....

2 Likes

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by david6(m): 2:30pm On Aug 18, 2013
Babiloko: soon it'll also b on techno #teamtechno
..abi..#samsung tings

1 Like

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by physise(m): 2:51pm On Aug 18, 2013
cant wait to have it on my grand

team samsung

1 Like

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by sobastical: 3:23pm On Aug 18, 2013
Htc sensation or one x on my dear mind now cheesy
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Youngpo413: 3:32pm On Aug 18, 2013
What`s so special about BBM?
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by luluosas(m): 3:52pm On Aug 18, 2013
And for Africa to test run this service, it means her place in the smartphone market place is gradually taken shape. Welcome to Africa, BBM on non BB devices.
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Francheezy(m): 3:56pm On Aug 18, 2013
Young po413: What`s so special about BBM?

I wonder ooooh
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by W3xy1(m): 4:03pm On Aug 18, 2013
when will, they release it? thats d koko

1 Like

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Koolmexxi(m): 5:25pm On Aug 18, 2013
Na now morning dey reach for ur eye or hav u been living in a cave?? BBM is coming will be available for download to androids and iOS in their various playstores. Not jus Samsung....
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Lagusta(m): 5:49pm On Aug 18, 2013
Koolmexxi: Na now morning dey reach for ur eye or hav u been living in a cave?? BBM is coming will be available for download to androids and iOS in their various playstores. Not jus Samsung....

Don't mind the Samsung geeks jare, owners of an overhyped piece of plastic
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by physise(m): 5:52pm On Aug 18, 2013
Lagusta:

which one u get

1 Like

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Lagusta(m): 5:55pm On Aug 18, 2013
physise: which one u get

i got three, htc G2, iphone4s and my old-faithful tecno Q1

do u think i have time for frivolities?

Plss go argue with someone else

3 Likes

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by mayorall(m): 5:55pm On Aug 18, 2013
Well done. Samsung advertiser.
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 18, 2013
Once it's on playatore, it's your os that matters .

I wonder why Sammy is working extra hard to sell a few more phones.

1 Like

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 18, 2013
Very wrong move by RIM, they will loose a hell lot of costumers. BBM is the only reason i hav'nt smash my nonsense torch 1.
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Lagusta(m): 6:05pm On Aug 18, 2013
babagy82: Very wrong move by RIM, they will loose a hell lot of costumers. BBM is the only reason i hav'nt smash my nonsense torch 1.

in fact, this is the smartest move ever,,,,,,,

they know its only the BBM that's keeping the blackberry alive, without BBM and BIS, blackberry becomes a nokia 3310 wannabee...

so what are we missing?
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by ignis: 6:35pm On Aug 18, 2013
The fall of blackberry is around the corner.
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by elbryant(m): 6:41pm On Aug 18, 2013
abegi we no need am
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Dygeasy(m): 6:55pm On Aug 18, 2013
ignis: The fall of blackberry is around the corner.
Its Here Already. I Don't See A Sane Person Opting For A Blackberry When There's A Better Option (Samsung) With The Same Overhyped App (BBM).

Blackberry See You In Heaven

1 Like

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by SamConquer(m): 7:20pm On Aug 18, 2013
Lagusta:

Them say BB you say BB is an overhyped piece of phone,that the in-thing is ANDROID,Now they say GALAXY[which uses Android] you say is an overhype piece of Plastic,And when they ask You which one You have,You say HTC G2,[A phone which use the Oldest Android OS Call Froyo],Not to talk of Techno Q1...Bros which one You dey na.Make Something no popular pass the others again...

3 Likes

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Lagusta(m): 7:34pm On Aug 18, 2013
SamConquer: Them say BB you say BB is an overhyped piece of phone,that the in-thing is ANDROID,Now they say GALAXY[which uses Android] you say is an overhype piece of Plastic,And when they ask You which one You have,You say HTC G2,[A phone which use the Oldest Android OS Call Froyo],Not to talk of Techno Q1...Bros which one You dey na.Make Something no popular pass the others again...

See where u failed.....

the oldest android os is not froyo, its either honeycomb or donut....

yes, i use G2, do u have a problem with it?

if an AMOLED screen protected by gorilla glass will put food on my table, tthen i can buy an s4, but it cant, so why waste money buying phone wey go still fade away......

BTW, i use the g2 as a common phone, na my Q1, my baby, i dey use type now!!!!!

1 Like

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Nobody: 7:49pm On Aug 18, 2013
Its coming to all Android OS devices. So just chill.

And we ve Whatzapp with endless possiblities. RIM can go and lay in their grave.

1 Like

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Osgilliat(m): 8:38pm On Aug 18, 2013
I know the technonian will flood this topic....I hail all my fellow samsonian may we enjoy the forthcoming bbm.no beef pls.

2 Likes

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 18, 2013
Lagusta

if I'm not mistaken, you mean to say using a "piece of plastic" phone is un-cool yeah?.....last time I checked, you owned a company which produces phones made of glass. ignorant piece of sh#t.

1 Like

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Koolmexxi(m): 8:46pm On Aug 18, 2013
My ppl no need for any Tecno/Samsung tug of war... The summary of the whole Mata na say BBM will b available in both the Google Playstore nd Apple Playstore for free....**Walks away**.

4 Likes

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Nobody: 9:25pm On Aug 18, 2013
Rest in peace,Blackberry.

1 Like

Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by segzicres(m): 9:33pm On Aug 18, 2013
Lol, astalavista blackberry!
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by silvernice(m): 9:45pm On Aug 18, 2013
Young po413: What`s so special about BBM?

ask them ooo. whatsapp is OK abeg
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Olaotan277(m): 9:57pm On Aug 18, 2013
HTC android smartphone, 2months old,
clean and neat, up for sale 4 #24,000!!
(negotiable) call 07018400069 or
whatsapp 08066870473 I stay in Akure
but interested peeps residing in cities
around can still holla
Re: BBM Comes To Android, But Only For Samsung Galaxy Owners In Africa!!! by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 18, 2013
TEAM SAMSUNG GALAXY !!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Celtel Internet Settings! / Illegal Data Renewal: Ncc To Slam N5m Fine On Defaulting Telcos / How To Change Your Emoji From The Fugly Android Emoji To The Iphone Emojis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.